Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

• Please log in to reply
8073 replies to this topic

#3961 Duo_Maxwell

Duo_Maxwell

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:34 AM

Totally agree with whomever just said Dark Shadows was boring. It had too much going on unrealted to the main plot which sucked you out of the story and left you not wanting to care. No likable characters you could relate to at all besides Barnabas and you kind of start to feel indifferent to him down the line. That means bad writing obviously but I think even the acting was weak. Poor Johnny Depp gave it a college try but with this cast and writing it was like he was struggling against the tide...

#3962 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:22 AM

Also, watched The Wrestler.

Daaaaaaamn.

Now it's Black Swan time, go go go.

#3963 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

Melancholia.

It was kind of meh. Interesting art direction and solid performances, but kind of boring.

Kirsten Dunst looked better naked than I expected though, so that was a plus.

#3964 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

Seems like they've been ramping up the Battleship advertising... That's gotta mean it will be wayyyyyyyyyy worse than first thought no... ?

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"

Trade List

#3965 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

We Bought a Zoo.

I think it would have been better if it were actually filmed in England, where the zoo is located. I think they screwed up some dates, too, but whatever.

#3966 ObsidianSpire

ObsidianSpire

Obsidian FTW!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:41 PM

Saw The Secret World of Arrietty yesterday with my mom for Mother's Day. It's visually incredible, but I was kind of bored with the pacing and plot. A decent soundtrack with some kind of weird voice acting/localization choices. Overall, some of the best animation I've seen in a really long time, but it doesn't pull this film out of average territory for me. Watched it once and won't watch again unless I completely forget I've seen this before. Lately Studio Ghibli films haven't hit as high as possible. I didn't really enjoy Ponyo either, but that was a much more interesting movie than Arrietty. Ah well, maybe they'll get back to some of their better times soon.

jybOVvmATuEqX.png

Support Team CAG for Extra Life 2013 in November! Join us in our quest or donate. :D LINK

Current Contest/Giveaway: 

Donate to Extra Life & win one of 12 signed Red Orchestra 2 copies!

#3967 Necrozilla

Necrozilla

meeeeeeeeeeeeep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

Hugo was stupid.

H A V E03ol2Bg.pngH A V E

vTIvNK1.gifhlCUS8Z.gif

#3968 ObsidianSpire

ObsidianSpire

Obsidian FTW!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

Would you agree that the scope of their films has narrowed lately?

It depends upon what you mean by scope, but in principle I think I would agree. In my opinion, their newer films have focused more upon presenting relationships between fewer "important" characters and less about experiencing entire worlds, though they still hint at this visually. In terms of conflict and resulting action/reaction, Ghibli's work has definitely lessened screen time for anything beyond the main point (typically 1 or 2 points). Honestly, when Secret World finished I felt some of the minor conflicts would have been better potential films when fleshed out and resulted in clearer themes. With something like Spirited Away on the other hand, I wanted to think more about the themes presented from the main point in a lesser combination with the background; it felt utterly cohesive and necessary to see at least 90% of that movie. I was fully enthralled with the world and honestly wanted to experience more.

In any case, I will still probably watch their future work, but I'm not in any sort of hurry.

jybOVvmATuEqX.png

Support Team CAG for Extra Life 2013 in November! Join us in our quest or donate. :D LINK

Current Contest/Giveaway: 

Donate to Extra Life & win one of 12 signed Red Orchestra 2 copies!

#3969 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:28 AM

Saw The Secret World of Arrietty yesterday with my mom for Mother's Day. It's visually incredible, but I was kind of bored with the pacing and plot. A decent soundtrack with some kind of weird voice acting/localization choices. Overall, some of the best animation I've seen in a really long time, but it doesn't pull this film out of average territory for me. Watched it once and won't watch again unless I completely forget I've seen this before. Lately Studio Ghibli films haven't hit as high as possible. I didn't really enjoy Ponyo either, but that was a much more interesting movie than Arrietty. Ah well, maybe they'll get back to some of their better times soon.

I think I'm in the minority of liking Arrietty more than Ponyo. I don't know why, but I really liked the pacing of it. Just felt...relaxing.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#3970 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

Totally agree with whomever just said Dark Shadows was boring. It had too much going on unrealted to the main plot which sucked you out of the story and left you not wanting to care. No likable characters you could relate to at all besides Barnabas and you kind of start to feel indifferent to him down the line. That means bad writing obviously but I think even the acting was weak. Poor Johnny Depp gave it a college try but with this cast and writing it was like he was struggling against the tide...

I'm curious anyone actually SEEN Dark Shadows (The TV Show)
Spoiler
and are able to compare it to Dark Shadows (The Movie). because based on what I'm hearing it sounds like it would be really popular among fans of the show. All that "off main story" plot sounds like the sort of thing we see in TVShow.Turned.Movie where they try to touch every story arc even seen in the show during a 90 minute feature.

P.S. Thumb up to Duo because there was a time when I went by Trowa. I'm only 60% sure I've said this before here.

Melancholia.
Kirsten Dunst looked better naked than I expected though, so that was a plus.

i trimmed out the unimportant bit. Color me intrigued. I'm one of the (i assume few) people who actually likes Dunst.

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#3971 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

i trimmed out the unimportant bit. Color me intrigued. I'm one of the (i assume few) people who actually likes Dunst.

Google Image search is your friend...

#3972 Necrozilla

Necrozilla

meeeeeeeeeeeeep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

Moon (2009) is free to watch on YouTube (don't know for how long)

Hated the robot, couldn't finish it because of it.

H A V E03ol2Bg.pngH A V E

vTIvNK1.gifhlCUS8Z.gif

#3973 shady859

shady859

Big Blue Nation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

The Dictator = #-o

Went wanting to love it as Cohen is hilarious but yea at least the previews were good.

#3974 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:32 AM

Shame.

Pretty good. Great performance from Fassbender.

#3975 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:53 AM

The Dictator = #-o

Went wanting to love it as Cohen is hilarious but yea at least the previews were good.

damn thats harsh lol. i never got into his humor much anyway i saw borat way back when because everyone was on about how funny it was but to me he was just fucking annoying and some of that shit in the film was so gay. hes like the opposite of what good British humor is.

#3976 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

Hated the robot, couldn't finish it because of it.

Yeah, Kevin Spacey is kinda pretentious, even if it's just his voice in a movie. I could picture him doing the recordings for it, saying "I am sooo getting a best supporting actor Oscar for this shit. Just you watch!"

Good movie though. Really fucking sad when it's over and you think about it for a while.

#3977 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

American Reunion - Was kind of hesitant about watching this, despite really enjoying the original trilogy. I thought it was pretty funny, but you can definitely tell that some of the humor is forced just for nostalgia's sake. Still, it was fun to see pretty much everyone from the original movies make a return.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#3978 Wolfkin

Wolfkin

The Eternal Second Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

damn thats harsh lol. i never got into his humor much anyway i saw borat way back when because everyone was on about how funny it was but to me he was just fucking annoying and some of that shit in the film was so gay. hes like the opposite of what good British humor is.

I concur. I liked Da Ali G show back in the day and I think some of it can be funny but it's more dickish than funny particularly the china shop scene for instance. SBC isn't really what I'd call 'gay' but I'm firmly convinced that he would literally have gay sex with another dude for a year in a glass house if it "made the joke". He would literally do anything for the joke.

Not everyone needs to look like a 16 year old girl cosplaying a 16 year old boy, every-Japanese-artist-ever.

Currently Playing
:wii: Bully - :ps3: Outland
Posted Image
Spoiler

#3979 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

I concur. I liked Da Ali G show back in the day and I think some of it can be funny but it's more dickish than funny particularly the china shop scene for instance. SBC isn't really what I'd call 'gay' but I'm firmly convinced that he would literally have gay sex with another dude for a year in a glass house if it "made the joke". He would literally do anything for the joke.

But what's wrong with that?

#3980 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:56 AM

Bridesmaids - Pretty funny especially, when the best friend loses it at the bridal party.

Bad Teacher - Funny with good performances all around including the small role of Diaz's roommate by Cam off Modern Family.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3981 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:04 AM

Just got back from seeing What to Expect When You're Expecting. Wasnt terribly bad, but would have been better with a more focused cast. Hard to give a damn about anyone in the movie cause screen time was passed around too much. Instead of 4-5 couples, should have left it at 2 tops.

#3982 bburpee

bburpee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:49 AM

Seeing the Dictator tomorrow.

Watched "What's Your Number" and found it way funnier (for my tastes) than Bridesmaids, with a bonus of actual nakedness. Bridesmaids I thought was massively overrated, but still funny at parts.

#3983 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:21 AM

Seems like they've been ramping up the Battleship advertising... That's gotta mean it will be wayyyyyyyyyy worse than first thought no... ?

No.

It's pretty normal for there to be more advertising as a movie gets closer to release.

#3984 Calipso

Calipso

Der Metzgermeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

Contagion - Pretty realistic and very well written.

Harold and Kumar Christmas - I enjoyed it. Better than White Castle, not as much as Gunatanmo Bay.

Paul - Hilarious and a pretty decently written comedy. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost shine again in another good movie.
Currently playing:
:pc: - Red Orchestra 2
:pc: - Killing Floor
:pc: - SimCity 4
:360: - Uno
:360: - Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

#3985 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

Seeing the Dictator tomorrow.

Watched "What's Your Number" and found it way funnier (for my tastes) than Bridesmaids, with a bonus of actual nakedness. Bridesmaids I thought was massively overrated, but still funny at parts.

I have to agree on that thought on Bridesmaids. Watched it the other night it was funny in parts but overrated.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3986 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

The Wild Hunt

Probably the best movie about LARPing ever.

Fun movie until it goes all LOTF/Tarantino mashup at the end.

#3987 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

I have to agree on that thought on Bridesmaids. Watched it the other night it was funny in parts but overrated.

Agreed, so overrated.

#3988 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:44 AM

John Carter. Casting had a big thing for HBO's Rome. And Bryan Cranston!

It's a fun movie before the majority of the action shows up.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3989 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:47 AM

It was called the women's version of The Hangover, so of course, like with everything, the men's version will be better.

#3990 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:23 AM

Drive - 5/5 - When I saw this on Netflix, I dropped everything and started watching it. Such a fantastic film. It has hands-down the best soundtrack I've heard since The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The tension is so high in a film that has very little dialogue. If you haven't seen this film, then you need too.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies