Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

• Please log in to reply
7977 replies to this topic

#4441 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

Also Joker had zero backstory. Not that more people don't know Joker, but if you didn't it would be the same way, even less background on him.

Well he did tell us how he got those scars... ;)

#4442 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 09 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

Two different ways which made it even more ambiguous.

I just don't think villains need a lot of backstory. This trilogy is about Batman/Bruce Wayne, not the villains he faced.

The league of shadows is the overarching villain plot, and they explained their goals etc. in detail in the first one.

#4443 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

Also Joker had zero backstory. Not that more people don't know Joker, but if you didn't it would be the same way, even less background on him.

He explained the scars, and I'm sure that was a large part of what he made him who he is. In that movie he was wearing face paint, so there wouldn't have been anyway falling into a vat of chemicals turning him stark white or anything anyway. He had no abilities to explain.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#4444 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:56 PM

I don't read comics and thus no nothing about Bane beyond him being in Batman and Robin and the Arkham games.

I had no problem with that stuff. But I'm not one that sits and wonders about stuff like that when watching movies either. :D I was fine with the bit of back story,and just assumed he was strong from the league of shadows training and being a huge guy rather than anything to do with the mask/pain relief medicine.

When devices and abnormal abilities are introduced into something, I have to wonder, I need at least some explanation. In the same way that you might be curious about the criminal justice system in Gotham, I wonder how things physically work.

In the comics he gets his abnormal strength from a drug called VENOM. He wasn't quite that strong in DKR, but he was still stronger than he should have been for his apparent size. He's also from South America, which makes the accent seem even stranger. I have to wonder why they used a British actor when they could have gotten a good latin american actor instead.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#4445 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

Oh I get that. I'm just not that actively analyzing things when watching movies. Movies are my "shut off my brain" and relax hobby so I'm not often curious about things like that. Especially for less serious movies like this.

#4446 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

I have to wonder why they used a British actor when they could have gotten a good latin american actor instead.

Probably because Christopher Nolan enjoys working with Tom Hardy. I thought his performance was fine and did not take away from the overall experience.

#4447 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

I just know that I grew up watching BTAS, and there they rightly gave him a latin accent. That voice has stuck and to me it just doesn't sound right with him having a British accent, it sounds too high society or something. More Antonio Banderas, less Ben Kingsley. He also shouldn't sound like he's doing a Darth Vader impression.

#4448 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

Guys he had two or three different stories on how he got his scars lol.

#4449 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

Yeah, the story on his scars is not backstory in any way at all.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#4450 moon_knight

moon_knight

Gotta Have Blue Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:50 PM

I think villains without backstories can be more interesting than those that do have one.

#4451 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:22 PM

Sorry to get you guys going over this again; I'm sure you've all debated Dark Knight Rises plenty already. But Fuck it, I've been in bugs and mud and heat and rain and mud and mud and mud and mud since May, so now I wanna talk about Dark Knight Rises, dammit.

First, let me say that I am not a comic book guy. My experience with the Batman franchise is basically "the movies, the Arkham games, a few of the major comics (Dark Knight Returns, Year One, Killing Joke, etc.), and a couple episodes of the Adam West show". That said...

Spoiler

And no, The Joker's scar stories do not qualify as fleshing out his backstory. Not to say that Bane shouldn't have had more origin explanation, but The Joker is a turrible comparison. "If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!" and all that.

Posted Image

#4452 moon_knight

moon_knight

Gotta Have Blue Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:49 PM

Bane was my favorite comic book movie villain of this year.

#4453 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

Guys he had two or three different stories on how he got his scars lol.

Mine was a joke (hence the winking smile), I'm not sure why everyone took it seriously.

#4454 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

I'm thinking about going to see Batman finally this weekend. With a new baby at home it is basically impossible to go with the wife but I don't want to miss it before it leaves theaters. Going to the movies alone is pretty fun and I rarely get the opportunity.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#4455 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

Dragonball Evolution is on right now and I hate everybody's californian accents, especially Yamcha. Besides the women, the only highlights of the movie are the old men, Picollo, Chow Yun Fat and Ernie Hudson. Everything else is meh.

Batsugunner.png

#4456 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

3 Idiots.

Liked it a lot, if a little sappy at times and a tad long.

#4457 Commander0Zero

Commander0Zero

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

Has anybody seen the new Total Recall? Is it a fun movie to go see? Most agree it isn't better than the first. But some are making out the first to be this cinematic masterpiece which I don't think it is. Any thoughts CAG's?
Posted Image

#4458 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:31 AM

30 Minutes or Less - Some laughs found with Mark Zukerberg and Kenny Powers.

The Sitter - Not bad and had some laughs. However, I liked this better with Elizabeth Shue in the 80's, when it was called "Adventures in Babysitting".
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4459 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:26 AM

I liked this better with Elizabeth Shue in the 80's, when it was called "Adventures in Babysitting".

One of the best fucking movies EVER!

#4460 noone13

noone13

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:27 AM

Has anybody seen the new Total Recall? Is it a fun movie to go see? Most agree it isn't better than the first. But some are making out the first to be this cinematic masterpiece which I don't think it is. Any thoughts CAG's?

If you can go for cheap it is a decent time killer. I saw it and while it wasn't terrible I couldn't help but think I should have gone to Dark Knight Rises again.

Bourne Legacy-- Was okay but too much Jason Bourne stuff. I wanted it to be the start of new franchise but it felt like an end on to the Jason Bourne saga. I thought the movie needed a little more action and less talking. The worst of the four Bourne movies. I hope the next one drops the Bourne from the title and is an Aaron Cross movie.

The Campaign-- Only went to this because my wife wanted to see it. Must say it was much more funny than I would have imagined. If you like Will Ferrell you will like this movie.

The Watch-- Was funny enough to not be terrible but The Campaign was better I thought.

#4461 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:35 AM

The Campaign-- Only went to this because my wife wanted to see it. Must say it was much more funny than I would have imagined. If you like Will Ferrell you will like this movie.

Hmmm, funny Will Ferrell or Will Ferrell trying to be funny? Actually, I probably answered my own question because I'm not sure I've liked any of his (comedy) movies but love his SNL stuff.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#4462 Nifty_Shark

Nifty_Shark

Still not The Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

Magic Mike- Twas good.

#4463 TheBigAndy

TheBigAndy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

X-Men Origins Wolverine - Not as good as First Class, but not mad that I spent $10 on the blu-ray.

#4464 noone13

noone13

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

Hmmm, funny Will Ferrell or Will Ferrell trying to be funny? Actually, I probably answered my own question because I'm not sure I've liked any of his (comedy) movies but love his SNL stuff.

I thought he was being funny. Probably helped he is only in half of the movie.

#4465 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

X-Men Origins Wolverine - Not as good as First Class, but not mad that I spent $10 on the blu-ray.

Play the awesome game, and you get the movie and then much, much more.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#4466 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

Saying Wolverine isn't as good as First Class might be the biggest understatement in this thread.

#4467 TheBigAndy

TheBigAndy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

Saying Wolverine isn't as good as First Class might be the biggest understatement in this thread.

Yeah don't get me wrong, First Class was WAY better, but I still enjoyed the Wolverine one.

#4468 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

I thought he was being funny. Probably helped he is only in half of the movie.

Ha, true enough. Maybe the pacing is just right because there's only so much you can take in one sitting.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#4469 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

Leon: The Professional.

God damn that's a good movie.

Posted Image

#4470 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:35 PM

Bourne Legacy. Really boring and exposition heavy. Added almost nothing to the Bourne story and just set up for another trilogy of the same shit.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.