Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

• Please log in to reply
7357 replies to this topic

#421 lawdood

lawdood

Digital Jedi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:43 PM

The Hurt Locker- Great movie...reminded me a lot of Generation Kill, the HBO miniseries, which I also loved.

th_w03j81.gif  mza_7292321025846149538.100x100-75.jpg

#422 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:50 PM

Hurt Locker - Sorry, I don't get it. Good movie sure, movie of the year? I don't see it.

Agreed. People are talking about it like it's Platoon. It's all just the typical overpraising of the best of slim pickings. A good movie, but I just don't get the same "punch" that I did from more mainstream movies like Saving Private Ryan.

#423 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:01 PM

I liked it more than SPR--a movie that never grabbed me.

But I also didn't think it was a super great movie. Very good, but not something I'll buy. Just a pretty weak year for movies. Lots of good, to very good movies, but not standout great movies. Though to be fair there's still several I need to see--only saw half the best picture nominees.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#424 chimpster1313

chimpster1313

Cleveland Sports Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:27 AM

I didn't like Platoon at all. I watched that movie at least 3 fucking times TRYING to understand why everyone loves it as much as they do. It just never gripped me like it seems to do for a lot of people.
Posted Image

#425 vrblknch

vrblknch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:56 AM

Whip It was really decent. Of course it had me at the opening credits with KOL's Knocked Up instrumental. Have to admit tho I'm getting a little weary of Forehead the fragrance by Ellen Page. The Arrested Development chick and the sounds def lifted this to a clear W.

Zombieland was three star meh. There was potential for a REALLY great flick, the Shaun of the Dead trumps.

The Boys are Back was a light tear jerker, but the kid on the windshield of the land rover made it a great ad.

Last and def the least what the heck were Dragonball Evolution and Legend of Chun Li caught bits and pieces on cable this weekend and how did these movies get made?

#426 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:29 AM

I didn't like Platoon at all. I watched that movie at least 3 fucking times TRYING to understand why everyone loves it as much as they do. It just never gripped me like it seems to do for a lot of people.

I think it was because prior to that, war movies didn't show a whole lot of ugly truth. Like The Longest day being too "John Wayne"...John Wayne was actually in it, ironically. Or even Stalag 17, which was about a horrible situation made almost comical. My dad went to see Platoon in theaters and there were guys slightly older than him walking out because it was too much to handle. In that way, the movie was somewhat of a milestone, that paved the way for Saving Private Ryan, We Were Soldiers, Band of Brothers, etc. For me, it's Full Metal Jacket I don't understand the adoration for.

I liked Platoon because they battles were subtly epic. That battles were just so chaotic, and without the aid of the Spielberg "action camera" effect he pioneered in SPR. The other part was the feud between Barnes and Elias. I'd give my left nut for Tom Berenger to have played Sandor Clegane in HBO's Game of Thrones (if they are wise enough to greenlight it). I wish that shit would come out on Blu-Ray NOW and I just talked to my dad expressing that not 10 minutes ago.

#427 Wez455

Wez455

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:49 AM

""run bitch run"

#428 chimpster1313

chimpster1313

Cleveland Sports Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:45 AM

I think it was because prior to that, war movies didn't show a whole lot of ugly truth. Like The Longest day being too "John Wayne"...John Wayne was actually in it, ironically. Or even Stalag 17, which was about a horrible situation made almost comical. My dad went to see Platoon in theaters and there were guys slightly older than him walking out because it was too much to handle. In that way, the movie was somewhat of a milestone, that paved the way for Saving Private Ryan, We Were Soldiers, Band of Brothers, etc. For me, it's Full Metal Jacket I don't understand the adoration for.

I liked Platoon because they battles were subtly epic. That battles were just so chaotic, and without the aid of the Spielberg "action camera" effect he pioneered in SPR. The other part was the feud between Barnes and Elias. I'd give my left nut for Tom Berenger to have played Sandor Clegane in HBO's Game of Thrones (if they are wise enough to greenlight it). I wish that shit would come out on Blu-Ray NOW and I just talked to my dad expressing that not 10 minutes ago.

This is THE best argument for the greatness of a movie I've ever read on any forum anywhere. It was perfect. It expressed why you love the movie in multiple ways that aren't stupid reasons like 'Charlie Sheen acted his shit off' or whatever, it used legit examples of people watching it and being effected and, and this might be the most important, it didn't involve any bashing of someone for saying they didn't like your movie. Bravo x100, my friend. :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:
Posted Image

#429 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:39 AM

Wow, thanks! Another similar movie would be The Thin Red Line. It came out around the same time as Saving Private Ryan, but fell way under the radar into "arthouse" status. It's a tough movie to watch, quite possibly tougher than SPR. It definitely siphons all of the glamour out of traditional war movies in the same way Platoon did. You go out of it feeling just emotionally drained. That's my barometer for a good war movie. Uprising (a TV movie about a Jewish resistance movie) is another good one that is almost up there with Schindler's List.

#430 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:13 PM

Yeah I prefer The Thin Red Line to SPR personally.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#431 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:54 PM

"Crank: High Voltage"

I laughed quite a few times. Plus, Amy Smart is fucking hot.

#432 lorne

lorne

Sweeping the Ruins

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:43 PM

Temple Grandin - Currently on HBO with Claire Danes playing a fascinating autistic person who is famous for her contributions to understanding autism and livestock. What she did with cows blew my mind and I'm sure a lot of other people's minds at the time. One of the truly special people that walks the face of the earth. We need more movies with Claire Danes who is awesome in this role as is the whole cast. Great direction and soundtrack too. Very touching and emotional film. 10/10

#433 spoo

spoo

Wood for your sheep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:39 PM

Moon - It started out as a 2001: A Space Odyssey clone but it developed into a neat sci-fi thriller.

Meatballs - A fun but silly summer camp movie starring the great Bill Murray.

(500) Days of Summer - A good ani-love story. I love Zooey Deschanel but she seems to act the same role in nearly everything she is in but she still lights up the screen.

Pandorum - A decent sci-fi monster movie, worth a watch if you enjoy the genre.

Big Fan - Disappointing.

Nerdcore Rising - Interesting documentary about MC Frontalot and his rise to fame.

Talk Radio - A saw this movie 10 years ago or so and was blown away by it but I soon forgot about it. Talk Radio didn't loose any of it's edge the second time around. A MUST SEE!

Hopscotch - Long-winded with a very obvious plot/conclusion but Walter Matthau is a pleasure as usual to watch.

Jurassic Park III - It is what it is, it was a guilty pleasure. Horrible plot, generic characters, Téa Leoni somehow makes a fun popcorn flick.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Cos by Ozzkev55 | Cock by OTM
The original CAGaming lagoon thread.

#434 SimpRgr8

SimpRgr8

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:31 PM

Just watched Resident Evil 1 and 2 (the movies). I've heard a lot of people say they were awful, but I mean, for a zombie survival movie, I didn't think it was that bad. Better than some other video game movies out there.

#435 moon_knight

moon_knight

Gotta Have Blue Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:29 PM

Coraline

#436 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:41 AM

1. Motion Sickness, not cool. 2. I feel like I got ripped off. (Thankfully I didn't pay either time I saw this.) There are three mediums... SD, HD, and 3D. I saw the "SD" version (non 3d) first and it looked low res and hell. Then I go and see 3D and it wasn't "3D" it was HD because it was 3D. WTF... I thought the preview of Toy's 3 was 3D more than anything else. I'm not convinced and even if I was I'm not going to be putting on another cluncky set of glasses over my existing ones. Also, the theater I went to was a wannabe IMAX and the only thing good about it was the SOUND. You didn't hear you FELT the sound. And finally of course... the story line of Dances with Wolves... erm.. Last Samurai... erm... damn it... I mean Avatar sucked...

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"

Trade List

#437 icp_00_111

icp_00_111

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:56 AM

Just watched Extract, not bad but not as good as Idiocracy(loved that movie).

#438 spoo

spoo

Wood for your sheep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:31 AM

I'm not convinced and even if I was I'm not going to be putting on another cluncky set of glasses over my existing ones.

After the first 3D movie my wife went to she got a massive headache, she learned to always put on her contacts to watch 3D movies.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#439 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:48 AM

Too bad that ain't gonna happen...

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"

Trade List

#440 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:49 AM

Gamer

Had some enjoyably dumb action scenes, but pretty retarded on the whole.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#441 basilofbkrst

basilofbkrst

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:03 AM

Just saw Mighty Ducks for the first time. Awesome movie. Pretty sure my life would be very different if I had seen it 10 years ago...

HOW!?!?!??!?!?

Holmes was really good and, made me want to watch The Great Mouse Detective.

Also insta-streamed Enemy Mine on netflix. Amazing.

#442 bobo2k4

bobo2k4

OooSplendiforous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:46 AM

Wolfman. Kind of sucked.
Posted Image
Props to Ozzkev for the sig.

#443 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:45 AM

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Fantastic, I'm not sure why this was my first time watching it. What was that first stick figure alien thing that got off the ship at the end? I thought that looked kinda cool, better than the short grays.

The Stepfather - It was whatever, pretty generic and not very thrilling.

#444 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:01 AM

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#445 Koggit

Koggit

almost sorry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:42 AM

saw avatar sober a couple weeks ago and thought it was great (terrible script but who cares), just bought tickets for a noon showing on monday, me & a friend are gonna each eat a gram before going... i'm expecting it to be the greatest movie experience of all time.

both times will be IMAX, though different theatres. the first one i saw it on wasnt a curved screen, my roommate works at the theatre i'm going to this time and she said the screens are curved, so i think it's gonna be different somehow.

#446 spoo

spoo

Wood for your sheep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:02 AM

Just saw Mighty Ducks for the first time. Awesome movie. Pretty sure my life would be very different if I had seen it 10 years ago...

Mine would have been better if I didn't watch D2 sixteen years ago.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#447 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:41 AM

2001: A Space Odyssey - blu-ray.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

PSN the-nexus6 | Xbox Live Ken the Wizard
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#448 farfus

farfus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:15 PM

Crazy Heart = Fantastic Movie!!!

#449 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:43 PM

Daybreakers - so so.....wasnt bad but nothing great

Cold Souls - I love Paul Giamatti but I just couldn't make it through the movie...i lost interest 30 minutes in. Probably had something to do with being crazy tired but I dont see myself trying to watch it again
Posted Image

#450 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:31 PM

The Wolfman - Really good. The gore was great and the story was cool and different than the original. I'm not sure why so many people are shitting on this.