Surprisingly The Last Movie You Saw Didn't Suck Pt. 2

• Please log in to reply
7746 replies to this topic

#961 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:20 AM

Ondine - liked it a lot. Good story which weaves in some fairytale aspects from a little girl who believes it.

Posted Image

#962 number100101

number100101

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

The Road was pretty good. For some reason it didn't shed a single tear though. I was more baffled pondering the meaning of everybody who had missing thumbs.

I just watched it last night. I feel the same way, minus the whole thumb part (no pun intended). I think the book did a better job of bringing home the idea that there really is no hope. Survival means just one more day before you are caught-raped-killed-eaten and there is not much you can do about it.
Posted Image

#963 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:51 AM

Rampage - this whole movie is basically the airport scene from Modern Warfare 2

Posted Image

#964 Matt Young

Matt Young

Follow the buzzards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:03 PM

So it's plodding, overhyped, and dull? (the level; not the game)

Just finished Inglourious Basterds on Blu-ray an hour ago. 9/10. I love Tarantino's stuff, and this was no exception. Highly recommended to the 16 people who haven't seen it yet.

155toba.gif2i6pefo.gif675n9f.gifhsl3pl.gif

#965 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:45 PM

Crazy Heart . Very good. Bridges was fantastic, definitely an Oscar worthy performance.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#966 naiku

naiku

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:50 AM

Amélie - 4/5 - Amélie is one of the best films of recent history. As a romantic comedy is right up there with my personal favorite, My Sassy Girl (2001). The characters are interesting and believable, the comedy works even though its a foreign film. Like City of Lost Children, the movie is visually interesting with the set & colors used.

Since Amélie is regarded as Jean-Pierre Jeunet's best work I had to see it before Micmacs. Definitely a treat.
Posted Image

#967 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:47 AM

^ You might dig Chocolat.

#968 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:25 AM

Rocknrolla - 7/10

I had seen the beginning a bit a while ago and just couldn't get into it. I saw it today at a friend's house and being a bit not fit to drive helped out the movie too. It reminded me of Snatch a bit even though I've only seen parts of that movie.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"

Trade List

#969 naiku

naiku

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:00 AM

Micmacs - 3.5/5 - A man and a oddball group of friends go try to take down 2 huge weapon manufactures. Micmacs is a very entertaining film. Visually gorgeous. The characters are interesting and weird in their own way. One girl called Calculator is able to figure out how large someones waist is by looking at them or distance of a vehicle, Buster is an ex-human cannonball, and another woman is a contortionist. The story at the beginning felt a little serious but eventually it tossed all that aside and became more of a Saturday morning cartoon. Even the camera movements early on in the film felt like i was watching a live action cartoon. It was great.

I can see how some people will be disappointed in the film because it seems as if they don't plan out their actions. How would stealing Muzzolini eye help them stop this weapons manufacture? If you are able to ignore or not need direction or reasoning behind their antics you can have a lot of fun watching Micmacs. Definitely recommend for anyone who likes fun adventures that's loaded with memorable visuals.
Posted Image

#970 bobo2k4

bobo2k4

OooSplendiforous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:26 AM

Full Metal Jacket - fell in love instantly
Posted Image
Props to Ozzkev for the sig.

#971 dastly75

dastly75

Resident Squirrel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:40 AM

Splice - Interesting for most of it...and then gets interesting in a different way. It's at least a decent sci fi horror flick.

Cheap Ass Giraffes Grifball Team Captain

Posted Image

Posted Image

#972 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:56 AM

Posted Image

The Proposition for the first time. I thought it was fantastic. One of the best recent Westerns I've seen.

#973 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:26 AM

^ I saw bits and pieces of that, but it looked fucking epic. That's the one that takes place in Australia doesn't it? EDIT: Wow, David Wenham is in it? I didn't remember that. He's not in nearly enough movies. He stole the show from Hugh Jackman in Australia.

EDIT: The Blu-Ray for The Proposition is only $11 on Amazon!

I see Nick Cave did the soundtrack. That's a massive plus for me. Him and Warren Ellis's soundtrack for Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford made that movie one of my favorites of all time, feels like watching a modern fairy tale when you combine it with the eerie narration. Anybody who hasn't seen it, do so now. It's quote long (with a rumored unreleased director's cut that is even longer) and lacking the action you'd expect from a movie of that sort, but it's the best western ever made in my opinion. Fucking phenomenal movie.

Edited by crunchb3rry, 05 June 2010 - 05:47 AM.

#974 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:57 AM

Real Time
A Beautiful Mind

Former was pretty decent, latter was phenomenal.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#975 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:52 AM

^ I saw bits and pieces of that, but it looked fucking epic. That's the one that takes place in Australia doesn't it? EDIT: Wow, David Wenham is in it? I didn't remember that. He's not in nearly enough movies. He stole the show from Hugh Jackman in Australia.

It is indeed set in Australia. It was really good. And regarding Nick Cave, he also did the screenplay.

Feels like a Leone western for the modern era. Very brooding, very violent and very dark. Lots of tense scenes with minimal dialogue. Some great sweeping shots of the Australian country side as well. Great performances from Ray Winstone, Guy Pearce and especially John Hurt as a somewhat insane bounty hunter. I snagged the Blu-Ray on a whim, but I'm glad I did.

#976 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:26 AM

Wow, didn't know Nick Cave did the script. That's seriously impressive. Makes sense now why the soundtrack was so insanely powerful, he clearly wrote both at the same time to merge seamlessly.

After seeing that Edge of Darkness Mel Gibson movie, and watching the trailer for The Proposition, I think Ray Winstone is one of the best underappreciated actors today. Kinda like Phillip Seymour Hoffman, John C. Reilly, etc. before they got big enough (post-Magnolia) to be household names.

Have you seen Assassination of Jesse James though? If not, I highly recommend you do. As I said, it's more an American fable than a true western (ie: definitely an anti-Leone movie). Most people don't go into it with that knowledge and kinda pick it apart unfairly. The era for the plot is essentially when the Wild West was fading away, hence it not feeling truly like a western. Fantastic cast though. I think any of Casey Affleck's faults, as an actor or from living in his brother's shadow, made him such a fucking perfect choice for that role. Sam Rockwell, Garret Dillahunt, and pre-Hurt Locker Jeremy Renner are pretty damn good too.

Edited by crunchb3rry, 06 June 2010 - 09:39 AM.

#977 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:46 AM

Erasing David - pretty interesting documentary

OFFICIAL SELECTION SXSW 2010 Director David Bond finds out how much private companies and government know about him by attempting to disappear. Tracked by two ruthless private investigators, his chilling journey forces him to contemplate the loss of privacy.

Posted Image

#978 5of9

5of9

Resistance is Futile

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

Charlies angels Full Throttle!

Posted Image

#979 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:25 AM

A Bit of Tom Jones - good for a few laughs

Posted Image

#980 jbroush99

jbroush99

Old Tickle Feathers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:14 AM

My friend recommended Irreversible to me and I watched it the other night. It wasn't the easiest watch due to it being in French and having to read subtitles. But overall, I thought it was a very good movie.

It tells the story of all the shit that happens to a guy in one night, but in reverse (i.e. it starts with the final scene and then works it way back to the beginning of the night). There are 2 particular brutal scenes in the movie: one involves a fire extinguisher and a guys face and the other scene is a 9+ minute rape scene shot in one take with no angle/camera cuts.

#981 Pavel6969

Pavel6969

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:36 PM

Kick-Ass. This was pretty good, Hit Girl made the movie though.

The Stranger - Steve Austin's newest, it was pretty bad. Storyline was weak and the acting was awful.

Youth In Revolt - I fell asleep halfway through. The previews looked good, but the only good parts were the parts from the previews.

#982 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:26 AM

Murderball - pretty much awesome

Posted Image

#983 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:10 AM

The Shinjuku Incident

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#984 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:02 AM

Bulletproof Salesman - pretty interesting look into war profiteering; specifically the selling of armored cars

Posted Image

#985 moon_knight

moon_knight

Gotta Have Blue Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:39 AM

Barton Fink

#986 dastly75

dastly75

Resident Squirrel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:32 AM

Mother - Excellent, couldn't predict the ending.

Cheap Ass Giraffes Grifball Team Captain

Posted Image

Posted Image

#987 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:21 AM

Get Him To The Greek - 8/10, i can totally see why most people didn't like it. but i loved it haha.
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Posted Image

Avatar record spinning: Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis EP

#988 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 12 June 2010 - 05:16 AM

Infernal Affairs. It was good. But probably one of the few instances where the remake actually IS better than the original.

#989 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2010 - 05:18 AM

Karate Kid - Definitely enjoyable. If you have interest in it I'd recommend it.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#990 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 12 June 2010 - 05:25 AM

^ If you're not talking about the original, I'm gonna sweep the leg.