Photo
- - - - -

Bayonetta on Best Buy Shelves YMMV

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#61 Vortextk

Vortextk

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:25 PM

I'd have to disagree...no issues with the PS3 version...besides my XBOX has RROD anyways.

Your opinion that you may not take issue with the differences, but the fact is the ps3 version has lots of little problems all over the place that could potentially annoy or turn off some people to the game. It's undeniable the framerate is worse, it tears way more often, there is loading for literally anything you do and even with the above problems the visuals have been scaled down in some instances.

#62 ninja dog

ninja dog

Shoto Guilt

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:26 AM

I can see this game dropping to $29.99 or less within a few months happens often to Sega games

but this is the first time people have been morally obligated to buy a Sega game since...wait, when were they relevant?

#63 Ray5555

Ray5555

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:27 AM

I saw copies at sears when I was pricing/buying a hdtv for my living room last thursday. They had it in plain view on a table with nobody around, and no security cameras. This was at the century III mall sears in pittsburgh pa.

#64 shady859

shady859

Big Blue Nation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:29 AM

I saw copies at sears when I was pricing/buying a hdtv for my living room last thursday. They had it in plain view on a table with nobody around, and no security cameras. This was at the century III mall sears in pittsburgh pa.

So what your are trying to say is that you stole a copy or just the disc? :lol:

#65 kofijamal

kofijamal

It is what it is.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:51 AM

Century III Mall. So many good memories of hanging out there in college. I might head down to BB and see if there are any on the shelves. I have 25 in RZ and I 've heard nothing but good about this game. I want this or Darksiders.
Ok then, knuckle up.

#66 fyrflash1969

fyrflash1969

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:33 AM

I'd have to disagree...no issues with the PS3 version...besides my XBOX has RROD anyways.

As much as I would love to get this on my PS3, this will be the first 360 game I have bought in about a year. I never notice tearing and frame rate issue much, but loading on everything would get annoying fast. The post you are replying to has it right, get the 360 version if there is a choice. Don't mislead people into thinking the PS3 version has no issues.. its well documented on the net that it does.

From ps3.ign:
"The PS3 version has a lot of problems, primary among them being the excessive slowdown and loading. During certain scenes of high action, Bayonetta can slow down dramatically, enough to affect the gameplay experience. I can usually tolerate that sort of issue to an extent, but the loading problems are simply unacceptable.

This game loads all the time. When the player pauses the game during combat or a cutscene, there's noticeable loading before the pause menu is displayed. There's loading when you pick up an item and there's loading as you scroll through menus. There's even an obnoxious load time just to view a list of save files. For a game that's supposed to emphasize quick action and style, these loads are almost deal-breakers. "

#67 tekzor

tekzor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:42 AM

gona be buying a 360 bc of this reason

#68 breakingcustoms

breakingcustoms

Rule The Air

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:49 AM

no bayonetta anywhere in DE yet...

596772.png

#69 Ray5555

Ray5555

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:40 AM

So what your are trying to say is that you stole a copy or just the disc? :lol:

No unfortunately for me I ma honest so no I didn't steal it. But it struck me as odd that they had them out there like that.

#70 ivanctorres

ivanctorres

Johan is gansta!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:13 AM

I'm going to just pick this up at Gamestop on Tuesday :)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#71 blitz6speed

blitz6speed

Broken 360 D-Pad...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:28 AM

This will be in bargain bins in no time. Ill get the PS3 version when it hits 19.99 or less new.

#72 acsguitar

acsguitar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:34 AM

Well I didn't have problems with loading or slowdown in the demo and considering I dont' have a 360 I'll stick with ps3

#73 eddie291

eddie291

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:46 AM

It's probably one of those things you don't notice till you played it a substantial amount of time on both consoles.

Besides, all the reviews mention it as a problem. Surely they can't all be lying?
Posted Image

#74 Vortextk

Vortextk

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:45 AM

Well I didn't have problems with loading or slowdown in the demo and considering I dont' have a 360 I'll stick with ps3

There are not excessive loading problems with the demo because you're not running off the disc, rather a fully installed piece of data.

#75 xXJonoXx

xXJonoXx

Resident Che(vil)ap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:53 AM

Having played this game on both PS3 and 360 full versions on disc for the US releases, I can say that the slow down in the PS3 version is very noticeable. Some scenes that require the camera to move alot, or alot of action on the screen at once.. the game nearly comes a crawl and you can't even see what is happening till the action slows down. The 360 version does not have this issue and is very smooth.

Also, the PS3 version has to "load" for anything almost you wanna do. Wanna open a menu? Gotta load. Very annoying. Again, the 360 version does not have this.

For the game overall, the experience is amazing and the game is superb. Only thing I disliked is the terrible camera at parts, but it is fully controllable. I'm just lazy.

Posted Image Posted Image

My 2011 Game of the Year - Batman: Arkham City
My Most Underrated Game of 2011 - Driver: San Francisco

#76 Earmuffin585

Earmuffin585

Modding Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:58 AM

Anyone in the SF Bay Area try getting it?

NOPE ,no luck .I tried both geary street BB and 3rd street BB. The guy in Geary Street BB said not in stock and the 3rd street bb said out of stock.
Posted Image

#77 Josef

Josef

Touched the dead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:00 AM

no bayonetta anywhere in DE yet...

It was in the Brandywine Target a couple days before Christmas. Maybe they have since pulled them?

#78 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:19 PM

I saw Bayonetta at Power Gamer, in Glen Burnie, MD yesterday. I saw the PS3 version, but didn't bother searching the 360 section to see if it was there. I considered buying it, but I'll wait a few games and get it cheaper on Amazon. It was the U.S. version, not import one.
Posted Image

#79 acsguitar

acsguitar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:20 PM

Ok two things:

They were "supposed" to fix some issues with the Ps3 version for the us release. Is everyone here talking about the US release? Also is there not an install to hd disc option?

#80 acsguitar

acsguitar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:24 PM

Ok from CVC review:

Sadly, the PS3 version is less polished than its 360 counterpart, with mini-load screens every time you open the inventory, pauses between action and cut-scenes and, on rare occasions, visual and audio slow-down when the screen's too full.

The mini loads won't bother me personally cause as someone somewhat new to the genre it might give me a second to rest. The slow down is apparently on "rare" occasions. My ps3 slows down in all games on rare occasions. Anyways I don't have a choice so there we go. I'm sure the x360 is better but I'm not writing off this because of some annoying non game breaking issues.

#81 eddie291

eddie291

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:36 PM

They were "supposed" to fix some issues with the Ps3 version for the us release. Is everyone here talking about the US release?

Which obviously didn't happen yet as all the reviews are still mentioning it as a problem.

Not sure about your second question btw.
Posted Image

#82 IRHari

IRHari

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:00 PM

As far as I'm concerned, ALL games released now for both platforms should have the frame rate consistency and load times that Uncharted 2/God of War has.

This should be the fucking rule, not the exception.
"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power." -Bill Clinton

#83 ninja dog

ninja dog

Shoto Guilt

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:17 PM

As far as I'm concerned, ALL games released now for both platforms should have the frame rate consistency and load times that Uncharted 2/God of War has.

This should be the fucking rule, not the exception.

Uncharted 2, sure. But God of war?? that demo runs at like 20fps unless you're in a cave in the dark :lol: There's no vsync and the framerate is all over the place.

also, how are PS3 exclusive games a reference point for what multiplatform games should do? that's an entirely different beast. If Naughty Dog had to make two versions of Uncharted 2, it wouldn't look and run the way it currently does.

#84 Vortextk

Vortextk

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:29 PM

The mini loads won't bother me personally cause as someone somewhat new to the genre it might give me a second to rest. The slow down is apparently on "rare" occasions. My ps3 slows down in all games on rare occasions. Anyways I don't have a choice so there we go. I'm sure the x360 is better but I'm not writing off this because of some annoying non game breaking issues.

Lol if you want a break, pause the game. Oh wait it'll load for that too ;). Like you said, you don't have a choice, so that immediately puts you somewhere that probably doesn't want to see the differences or care enough about them, even if you did what good will it do unless you drop a few hundred on a 360. But the "slowdown" is not rare, the framerate isn't even rock solid on the 360 but it generally stays high, whereas the ps3 is consistently a very large % down from that.

#85 IRHari

IRHari

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:31 PM

I was talking about the God of War collection. The demo is a demo, not a final product. It is what it is as they say.

also, how are PS3 exclusive games a reference point for what multiplatform games should do? that's an entirely different beast. If Naughty Dog had to make two versions of Uncharted 2, it wouldn't look and run the way it currently does.

But this is what I'm talking about. You feel there is a difference between a PS3 exclusive and a multiplatform game in terms of expectations. I'm saying there shouldn't be. Realistically this won't happen but we should expect quality products from companies we're giving money to.
"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power." -Bill Clinton

#86 acsguitar

acsguitar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:37 PM

meh like I said I don't have a choice I'm buying it for ps3

#87 Vortextk

Vortextk

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:22 AM

You feel there is a difference between a PS3 exclusive and a multiplatform game in terms of expectations. I'm saying there shouldn't be.

Then maybe you should develop games? Honestly, I can't fault the companies sometimes, we treat the hardware like they're equal on capabilities and work the same. They don't. The only way for a ps3 to keep up with the 360 graphically is to take advantage of the cell, which is going to make programming it entirely different from the 360 version. Sure, it would be awesome if every game was equal, but when it comes to designing a game based around every intricate detail of one set of hardware and then asked to make it work exactly the same on something of a similar tech level, but completely different, I really can't say I'm surprised there are slipups here and there. The developers are human, and in this case it was a separate team from a different company(sort of) trying to do this probably in a short amount of time.

#88 NovaKane

NovaKane

On the real...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:27 AM

This will be one of the first games I buy whenever I get a 360. The framerate was trash from the PS3 demo I played. I really wanted this game too. Oh well.

Posted Image

#89 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:54 AM

I was talking about the God of War collection. The demo is a demo, not a final product. It is what it is as they say.

But this is what I'm talking about. You feel there is a difference between a PS3 exclusive and a multiplatform game in terms of expectations. I'm saying there shouldn't be. Realistically this won't happen but we should expect quality products from companies we're giving money to.

The issue is really about resources... to get the game up to par with an exclusive PS3 title, it will take more resources for developers. Every MP game on PS3 is essentially and Xbox 360 game because no one really takes the time to optimize the game for the PS3. I don't know if this is an option, but, I'd like to see Sony of Sony's first party teams get a chance to port some of these games over. (Don't know if they'd be interested in doing that) but it'd be nice to know that a PS3 port is being handled by a team that's truly able to work on the hardware. Obviously, Asking Sega to port over Bayonetta was a bad idea. I'm getting this game for the PS3, but I'm not buying it at full price. I'm going to have wait until this is about 29, or 14 on the Target clearance rack!

edit: burnout paradise is probably one of... if not the best Multiplatform games for the PS3. I do believe that it could have been better if it had been given the First party treatment. It still looked and played great, a prime example of how MP games for PS3 should be handled... at the least.

Edited by Thomas96, 04 January 2010 - 12:15 PM.

Posted Image

#90 i4ybrid

i4ybrid

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:14 PM

Then maybe you should develop games? Honestly, I can't fault the companies sometimes, we treat the hardware like they're equal on capabilities and work the same. They don't. The only way for a ps3 to keep up with the 360 graphically is to take advantage of the cell, which is going to make programming it entirely different from the 360 version. Sure, it would be awesome if every game was equal, but when it comes to designing a game based around every intricate detail of one set of hardware and then asked to make it work exactly the same on something of a similar tech level, but completely different, I really can't say I'm surprised there are slipups here and there. The developers are human, and in this case it was a separate team from a different company(sort of) trying to do this probably in a short amount of time.

I'm a software developer. I don't develop games, but I understand the issues that come up when you are programming for two separate systems. It's like programming something for the Mac and the PC. Of course, it will never be an exact port, where both run exactly the same, but if you take a piece of software developed for a mediocre machine (XBox 360), run it on something that's more powerful (PS3), it should run at least roughly as smooth as it does on the more powerful machine. If you have to reduce textures, and the framerate is STILL slower than the XBox, to me, that just means you took some auto-converter, translated whatever code you had for the XBox, and fixed any bugs that arose. To me, that means you did absolutely NO optimizing for the PS3.

That being said, I enjoyed the demo very much, but if they did some optimizing, it would warrant me going out and getting this on release day for $60. I looked closely at the demo, playing it for the third time, and realized that the game looks like a PS2 game, and I've been too mesmerized by her beautiful ass the whole time to care.