Photo
* * * * * 20 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

• Please log in to reply
10405 replies to this topic

#4381 biledriver

biledriver

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:40 AM

Paying $50 for SMT IV? Yeah, you guys sure are CAGs.

No CAG is some pure sense of the idea. A gamer doesn't wait for every title to go clearance before they support it. Sometimes you just want to play a game and support the company that made it.

#4382 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:43 AM

I agree. They're all a disgrace to the site.

Now let's hurry and buy a bunch of shitty games we'll never play because they're $5 and then complain about having a backlog!

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#4383 wasabi5858

wasabi5858

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:53 AM

To me CAG is about finding the best deal when you want the game. If the best deal on release is MSRP, then be it. If some retailer is having $5 discount compare to the other, this is to me when CAG kicks in... finding the best deal, not "oh I will wait for $20"

#4384 Dark_Sage

Dark_Sage

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:54 AM

Now let's hurry and buy a bunch of shitty games we'll never play because they're $5 and then complain about having a backlog!

I don't believe SMTIV is $5 yet, but when it hits that point I'll be doing exactly that.

#4385 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:56 AM

To me CAG is about finding the best deal when you want the game. If the best deal on release is MSRP, then be it. If some retailer is having $5 discount compare to the other, this is to me when CAG kicks in... finding the best deal, not "oh I will wait for $20"

CAG is just a place with deals on games to me.

If there's a game I really want and no deals on it I'll just buy it. One game I really want for $60 is far more worth it to me than six $10 games I don't really care about.

If there's a deal on it, cool. Otherwise I'll just buy it.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#4386 salty tbone

salty tbone

Flipmode Squad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:59 AM

There is no one true CAG. Some are more "gamer," some are more "cheap" and certainly some are far more "ass."
[URL="http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/goozexprofile.asp?id=558134175419"][/URL]

#4387 Green Card200

Green Card200

The Time Mage

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:16 AM

Dark Souls is the last game I paid msrp/bought at release I think. The next one MIGHT be The Last of Us. I'm considering SC2 HoTS but that paying $40 for a handful of new units seems like a waste.

Currently Playing -   :pc: Dark Souls (Replay)   :3ds: Theatrhythm Final Fantasy   :psp: Valkyria Chronicles II

Recently Completed -  :ps3: Rain 2/2    :ds: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow 3/1  :3ds: The Starship Damrey 3/2   :psp: Ys: The Oath in Felghana 3/8

Selling  :psp: Class of Heroes II PSN Codes $10 

#4388 bruceg

bruceg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:26 AM

People who want to play it right away pay full MSRP. Collectors or people with large backlogs can be more CAGish since we aren't in a hurry to acquire new games. I still haven't even touched the previous SMT games, so I can wait for $20.

#4389 wasabi5858

wasabi5858

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:09 AM

Collectors or people with large backlogs can be more CAGish since we aren't in a hurry to acquire new games.

Or you want to collect value (to clarify, this is not always in monetary terms but of course, easier to quantify in those terms). Nocturne print with sound tracks vs the reprint...

#4390 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:10 AM

I may be a person who will not buy a game simply over a dollar on the Steam sales, but when it comes to JRPG's I feel like I don't have the option to be a CAG sometimes.

For example, Atlus games comes with soundtracks a lot of the time. If you don't buy them at launch, you will be missing out on the soundtrack. I seen copies of P2 for PSP with soundtrack hit $45 on ebay while reguar editions hit $22.

JRPG's and games from these publishers are a different market. It's not just wait for a price drop, it's sometimes buying these games even as MSRP because you may never find another copy.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#4391 Kosayn

Kosayn

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:08 AM

There is no one true CAG. Some are more "gamer," some are more "cheap" and certainly some are far more "ass."

Sounds about right!

There's a lot of collectors in this thread, I suppose, as opposed to gamers that blast through campaigns and then resell or trade in games the week after release. I appreciate the symbiosis, really. It wasn't good times for collectors on a budget in the 90s.

Even the cheapest gamer has a developer or series that they are day 1 marks for, otherwise this business model really couldn't continue. You could do worse than Shin Megami Tensei. I've never played a game in that series or its spinoffs that wasn't quality.

#4392 Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

:applause:

#4393 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:50 AM

I thought that I had read/been told some time ago that the $39.99 price on (3)DS games was a standard max price set by Nintendo? I'll (a little grudgingly) put out $50 for SMT IV, but I hope this isn't a sign of a general increase in price to come for (3)DS games... :/

Of course maybe it'll include some great extra that will be worth the additional money. I just hope it's something better than the lame 20 minute CDs of incidental music that have accompanied other Atlus releases lately...

#4394 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:52 AM

I thought that I had read/been told some time ago that the $39.99 price on (3)DS games was a standard max price set by Nintendo? I'll (a little grudgingly) put out $50 for SMT IV, but I hope this isn't a sign of a general increase in price to come for (3)DS games... :/

Of course maybe it'll include some great extra that will be worth the additional money. I just hope it's something better than the lame 20 minute CDs of incidental music that have accompanied other Atlus releases lately...

Resident Evil: Revelations originally had a MSRP of $49.99

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#4395 Soma_Cruz

Soma_Cruz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

Resident Evil: Revelations originally had a MSRP of $49.99

It was scaled back to $40 before release though. Of course we have yet to see what happens with SMT IV.

#4396 bruceg

bruceg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

Yeah, $50 was ridiculous for a RE portable game. It also didn't take that long to drop to $20, when I was able to acquire it.

#4397 Antiques Roadshow

Antiques Roadshow

Dick Tracy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

Never seen anyone post that thought before.

Welcome to CAG.

Krumm_walk.gifOblina_walk.gifIckus_walk.gif

I'm looking for SNES games. PM me.

#4398 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

It was scaled back to $40 before release though. Of course we have yet to see what happens with SMT IV.

If SMT 4 is a 30+ hour JRPG I can see them charging the full $50. I mean considering localization fees and all. I wish it wasn't $50 but at the same time I guess I am ok with it considering what I am getting.
Posted Image

#4399 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

If SMT 4 is a 30+ hour JRPG I can see them charging the full $50. I mean considering localization fees and all. I wish it wasn't $50 but at the same time I guess I am ok with it considering what I am getting.

Eh, I don't buy that they have to raise the price by 25% due to localization costs. They've been doing DS games for years now (including several other SMT games), and they've put out plenty of 30+ hour RPGs (some of them likely a lot more complicated to localize than this one) at the $40 price point. If they are charging $50 for this game, and it's not some limited edition with some more expensive bonus item that we haven't been told about yet, it's more likely simply because they think they can.

Which of course opens the dilemma that by actually buying it at this price, we're essentially saying "sure, we'll pay $50 for 3DS games", opening up the chances that we'll start seeing a lot more at this price in the future. But like a lot of people, I've been waiting for this game for a while now (knowing it was coming was one of my big reasons for buying a 3DS), so it's hard to resist it anyway.

#4400 jimmywolf

jimmywolf

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

Eh, I don't buy that they have to raise the price by 25% due to localization costs. They've been doing DS games for years now (including several other SMT games), and they've put out plenty of 30+ hour RPGs (some of them likely a lot more complicated to localize than this one) at the $40 price point. If they are charging $50 for this game, and it's not some limited edition with some more expensive bonus item that we haven't been told about yet, it's more likely simply because they think they can.

Which of course opens the dilemma that by actually buying it at this price, we're essentially saying "sure, we'll pay $50 for 3DS games", opening up the chances that we'll start seeing a lot more at this price in the future. But like a lot of people, I've been waiting for this game for a while now (knowing it was coming was one of my big reasons for buying a 3DS), so it's hard to resist it anyway.

what you say is truth an why CoD comes out every year with $15 dlc that sell millions, so other company's, are wanting see if they can increase their profits am sure
Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.

#4401 storino03

storino03

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

i don't see smt iv listed on amazon yet
Game Grabs! www.youtube.com/storino03

Posted Image

#4402 wasabi5858

wasabi5858

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

i don't see smt iv listed on amazon yet

ya searching on amazon doesn't seem to find it but you can access their preorder page from atlus' SMT IV site

http://www.atlus.com...4/purchase.html

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00C1ZBFTW/

#4403 StryderOmega

StryderOmega

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

ya searching on amazon doesn't seem to find it but you can access their preorder page from atlus' SMT IV site

http://www.atlus.com...4/purchase.html

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00C1ZBFTW/

I see NewEgg grayed out... Here's hoping for at least a $10 off promo from them!

xivpads.png

#4404 scol

scol

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

Curious about the $50 tag as well, though I suppose we wont know much until the full site comes online. Doesn't seem to be anything official said on the Atlus forums about that yet either.

I went peeking at the JP version of the site and Amazon JP's posting looks like its the usual artbook + OST deal there, so HOPEFULLY that'll be the case here too... (bg music on the page is pretty sweet)

If not, then who knows... Haha, anyone remember back in SNES days when the "larger" memory games costed more? I remember SF2 costing a pretty penny back then. Or what if we're getting Aniplex'd LOL. I doubt either of these though...

#4405 Vectorman0

Vectorman0

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

I would guess Atlus knows we will pay $50 and are simply taking advantage of that. Then it will eventually drop so everyone who didn't want to pay that price will pick it up as well.

#4406 wasabi5858

wasabi5858

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

I don't doubt that Atlus will do this right. It is the 1st numbered release in 10 years and given their usual care with other "lesser" properties, there is no reason to believe that this will be a let down.

I like how they use these terms in their description :)

貴重
豪華

#4407 apterous

apterous

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

Once the art book / OST is shown in the pre-order, I'll pull the trigger on the pre-order. I didn't play Nocturne but I am intrigued.
Posted Image

#4408 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

Curious about the $50 tag as well, though I suppose we wont know much until the full site comes online. Doesn't seem to be anything official said on the Atlus forums about that yet either.

I went peeking at the JP version of the site and Amazon JP's posting looks like its the usual artbook + OST deal there, so HOPEFULLY that'll be the case here too... (bg music on the page is pretty sweet)

If not, then who knows... Haha, anyone remember back in SNES days when the "larger" memory games costed more? I remember SF2 costing a pretty penny back then. Or what if we're getting Aniplex'd LOL. I doubt either of these though...

Could be simply a placeholder price and nothing more. Here is hoping it comes out $40 or $50 for a Special Edition.
Posted Image

#4409 wasabi5858

wasabi5858

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

Once the art book / OST is shown in the pre-order, I'll pull the trigger on the pre-order. I didn't play Nocturne but I am intrigued.

Will probably be like the jp, more a dvd size artbook.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/真・女神転生IV-“豪華ブックレット仕様-サウンド-アートコレクション-付/dp/B00BIYSEFA/

I hope it comes in a nice hard outer case, like persona 2, but wonder how that would fit in with the rest of the 3ds games...

edit:

oh nvm, I misread. It is more about amazon.com currently has no indication that anything but the game comes with the $50 tag :)

#4410 Remoe

Remoe

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

So when is the next console SMT game?
Posted Image