Photo
* * * * - 23 votes

Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

• Please log in to reply
13000 replies to this topic

#1231 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:37 PM

Yeah, I used to be physical media forever! Until recently, I started playing my PSP with Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines and the game would stop suddenly to ask me if I want to quit. I select no on the menu that is similar to when you hit the PS button while playing a PSP game.

It would next ask my to put the game back in, even though the UMD was already in my PSP. Have to shake my PSP a little to get it back to normal. Still wish you could install the UMD to the memory stick so that it doesn't have to spin so much. Leaning towards digital when there is no other option and when it is cheaper than the UMD.

Anyway back on topic, I might get Corpse Party. Maybe not day 1 since I have a bunch of PSP games to play still.

#1232 Nitemare25

Nitemare25

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:00 PM

I'm probably going to get it day 1, since I am really interested in the game and the price is so good, but I probably would have gotten an LE if it was offered (Probably day 1 as well, since I wouldn't have expected it to last too long.). Oh well, I'm still looking forward to the game of course.

#1233 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:18 AM

Is corpse party getting a umd release or is it just digital?

just digital

ya, thats the reason i wont be buying it =( I was kinda stoked when i heard about it. I read some of the manga and it was a messed up series. Thought it would make an interesting adventure game.

But i refuse to buy DLC only games. Only time i broke the rule was for Suikoden so i could play it on my PSP (I have the original ps1 disc). This has me worried.. they swore we would get the next trails in the sky game, but im wondering if it will be DLC only now

Yeah, I used to be physical media forever! Until recently, I started playing my PSP with Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines and the game would stop suddenly to ask me if I want to quit. I select no on the menu that is similar to when you hit the PS button while playing a PSP game.

It would next ask my to put the game back in, even though the UMD was already in my PSP. Have to shake my PSP a little to get it back to normal. Still wish you could install the UMD to the memory stick so that it doesn't have to spin so much. Leaning towards digital when there is no other option and when it is cheaper than the UMD.

Anyway back on topic, I might get Corpse Party. Maybe not day 1 since I have a bunch of PSP games to play still.

physical media isn't the issue.. its the shitty psp design/UMD design thats the issue. My PSP does that sometimes too and it bugs the shit outa me. Espeically since its basically brand new. Its a god of war model i got last xmas and havent really used at all. its got maybe 6 hours on it and does this.. bullshit

Personally i need physical media. Digital stuff just has too many issues with DRM, plus as a collector I NEED a copy

#1234 Optical

Optical

Go Big Red

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:37 AM

ya, thats the reason i wont be buying it =( I was kinda stoked when i heard about it. I read some of the manga and it was a messed up series. Thought it would make an interesting adventure game.

But i refuse to buy DLC only games. Only time i broke the rule was for Suikoden so i could play it on my PSP (I have the original ps1 disc). This has me worried.. they swore we would get the next trails in the sky game, but im wondering if it will be DLC only now

physical media isn't the issue.. its the shitty psp design/UMD design thats the issue. My PSP does that sometimes too and it bugs the shit outa me. Espeically since its basically brand new. Its a god of war model i got last xmas and havent really used at all. its got maybe 6 hours on it and does this.. bullshit

Personally i need physical media. Digital stuff just has too many issues with DRM, plus as a collector I NEED a copy

This will be my first paid digital download on PSN. I won't be passing over this game because it is only available as a digital download.

#1235 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:59 AM

Well nothing is stopping you from getting the Japanese UMD and just collect that. Make no difference to me since I don't open any LE and usually just get a second copy to play

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#1236 fwbweux

fwbweux

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:10 AM

This will be my first paid digital download on PSN. I won't be passing over this game because it is only available as a digital download.

I used to be an anti-digital distribution zealot, but I've realized that it's the future of niche Japanese games in America. It's been a freaking terrible year for localizations with things like Ace Attorney Investigations 2, Final Fantasy Type-0, the Operation Rainfall three, Fire Emblem: Shin Monshou no Nazo and Valkyria Chronicles 3 being ditched, which all of us here likely would have thought unimaginable even a year or two ago.

The shrinking market combined with high manufacturing prices for Vita/3DS carts are killing the viability of the retail business model for niche stuff, and ultimately I'd rather be able to play something than not play it, issues regarding resale, licensing/ownership, long-term archival, etc. of digital games be damned. I always prefer physical copies and digital distribution is bad for consumers for a number of reasons, but I can't demand physical copies any longer with more games being stranded in Japan than any time since the mid-90s. Corpse Party is going to be the first DD-only PSP game I buy.

---

#1237 PrinnyOtaku

PrinnyOtaku

二人の秘密の基地

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:57 PM

Blame the dollar being so shitty imo. They probably think even if these titles do sell they can't break even. I said there's no way that'd be the case before but after seeing the breakdown of why these companies are posting losses... it could very well just be the exchange rate.

Defynorz.png
Add me on PSN for co-op or anything

League of Legends: Defyn

#1238 Romeo

Romeo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:23 PM

Atelier Rorona:The Alchemists of Arland LE version (PS3) $29.99. Hurry UP! Call your local GS NOW b4 is GONE :)

Thank you for the tip. Is the deal only $10 though?

#1239 tooshorty6432168

tooshorty6432168

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

First off Fate/Extra is now available on the Aksys Store. The best part is -for those of you that missed out on pre-ordering and therefore didn't get the bonus- both the standard and the LE will come with the Fate/The Fact booklet.

Am I missing something on the Store site? What does it include that Amazon doesn't have?

#1240 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:00 PM

Am I missing something on the Store site? What does it include that Amazon doesn't have?

There's an artbook sealed in the LE, and a separate preorder book. Amazon doesn't have the latter.

#1241 storino03

storino03

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:27 PM

there's a hardcover artbook in a big box. only one book.

#1242 Kotomine

Kotomine

私は日本人を知らない。

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

there's a hardcover artbook in a big box. only one book.

Yes, there's the artbook that comes with the LE and then there's this: http://i.imgur.com/eYpEN.jpg (paperback) which comes with either the standard or the LE on the Aksys store. It was previously only available as a pre-order bonus exclusively from Gamestop.com.

575x144_2-1.jpg
2011 Completed Games - 36 Games 2012 Completed Games - 29 Games 2013 Completed Games - 14... But it was more than that, I just stopped keeping track. 2014 Completed Games - ???
mfc80x15.png
I support the*Give Us Bikini Anya Movement.

#1243 storino03

storino03

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:52 PM

oh sorry. was talking about atelier rorona

#1244 jumpiestranger2

jumpiestranger2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:19 PM

Wanting to buy a rpg for psp, which one should I get The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky or Persona 3 Portable?

#1245 Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige

For Answer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:40 AM

I have been meaning to play The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky but haven't been able to get around to it yet.

I did really enjoy Persona 3 Portable though so even if trails in the sky is good you'd probably still have a good time with p3p. Amazon has commonly put trails in the sky on sale or in their gold box as well if you decide to go that route.

#1246 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:45 AM

Wanting to buy a rpg for psp, which one should I get The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky or Persona 3 Portable?

Don't think you can go wrong with either.

#1247 Vigilante

Vigilante

Always Watching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:51 AM

It's not $10 deal. This Sucker still $50 - $60. GS is clear out they inventory and i been waiting almost 6 months to get this sucker for $32.XX after taxes :)

I was able to get one earlier tonight for $12.XX after tax, using a $10 off any GS item coupon, and trading in 2 HDMI cables towards it (w/ PUR bonus). :D

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing: :3ds: Kirby: Triple Deluxe :ps3: Bulletstorm; MGS2 HD [Snake Tales]  :vita: Limbo; Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
Last Beaten/Completed Game(s) [7/11]: :ps3: Braid (4.25/5)

Last Watched Film [7/10]: One Piece: Strong World (superb animation, awesome battles)

"Moreso than the good, it is the evil who must be rescued." -Shigesato Itoi

#1248 barrit

barrit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:19 AM

Like Kenshi said, it is due to bad design unfortunately. I had a brand new PSP and it would happen to me as well...usually boss fights, or just intense parts of the game...it was VERY irritating. I figure it happens due to pressure from our hands on the UMD tray and it knocks it out of place. One thing I did that helped A TON with this problem is I imported a Monster Hunter Portable 3rd PSP case (http://www.play-asia...en-70-408t.html). It is hard plastic and the UMD part snaps above the actual UMD tray on the PSP, so it makes it very hard to put pressure on the UMD tray. It still happened sometimes, but it reduced the occurrence by about 95% I'd say. I assume they have some similar PSP cases in the US, but I'm not sure.

As for Corpse Party, they have yet to announce news for the UK release, if there is one. I'm holding out for that, since they most likely will have a physical release and the UK tends to publish some PSP games that haven't made it to the US (like White Knight Chronicles Origins). Some PS3 games also got a physical release in the UK, where they only got released digitally in the US. (Arcana Heart 3, Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty)

#1249 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:57 AM

Xseed is releasing Corpse Party on PSN in Europe too, so no UMD.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#1250 oscargrouch

oscargrouch

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:12 PM

I guess I'd rather have games come over as digital only than not at all. I guess I will bite on Corpse Party, to support more translations. But I still really prefer the option of physical media if possible. I just worry one day Microsoft, Sony or whoever will say well we aren't supporting these anymore, you are out of luck, you can't download it again.

But on the flip side I buy stuff on Steam fairly regularly and don't worry about it.

#1251 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:54 PM

I just worry one day Microsoft, Sony or whoever will say well we aren't supporting these anymore, you are out of luck, you can't download it again.

Bingo. I've got several iPhone games that I can't re-download anymore because they're no longer available on the app store, even though I paid for them. Those were all a few dollars at most, so whatever I guess, but I'm a whole lot less inclined to buy anything more expensive digitally because of that experience. There will come a point when Sony will stop offering PSP downloads, and then what?

#1252 Optical

Optical

Go Big Red

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:02 PM

I was able to get one earlier tonight for $12.XX after tax, using a $10 off any GS item coupon, and trading in 2 HDMI cables towards it (w/ PUR bonus). :D

How much do they give you for HDMI cables?

#1253 Optical

Optical

Go Big Red

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

Bingo. I've got several iPhone games that I can't re-download anymore because they're no longer available on the app store, even though I paid for them. Those were all a few dollars at most, so whatever I guess, but I'm a whole lot less inclined to buy anything more expensive digitally because of that experience. There will come a point when Sony will stop offering PSP downloads, and then what?

Well, then I will have them on my PS3 and/or my PC hard drive. I like to get a physical copy of everything, but if download is the only way to play a game in English, I will have to jut download it.

#1254 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:13 PM

You can redownload iphone games removed by Apple with cloud. I don't see any reason why Sony or MS will ever stop when DLC gotten so big now.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#1255 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

You can redownload iphone games removed by Apple with cloud. I don't see any reason why Sony or MS will ever stop when DLC gotten so big now.

What if, you know, they go under? Hard to imagine right now, but not impossible. Never know what'll happen in 5-10 years.

Edit: Or licensing issues, which is more likely. What if Aksys or someone gets bought by Microsoft, and they cease to allow it on PSN?

Point is, only physical media is guaranteed to be there if any issues occur. Although I'll admit that even physical carts and disks have a shelf life of like 10-40 years or so.

#1256 oscargrouch

oscargrouch

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:32 PM

What if, you know, they go under? Hard to imagine right now, but not impossible. Never know what'll happen in 5-10 years.

Yeah that is another concern. Or what about games that the license expires on? Didn't that happen to some PSP game last November?

#1257 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:32 PM

I don't see that happening. If it does happen most likely each division just get sold, and I am sure someone will pick up the video game division.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#1258 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:33 PM

Yeah that is another concern. Or what about games that the license expires on? Didn't that happen to some PSP game last November?

You can still redowload games that are removed.

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#1259 arcane93

arcane93

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:37 PM

Nope, not these. I assume that the license is gone or something, but they have disappeared from the listings entirely. Q*Bert, which was put out by Sony actually, is one of them. Another one is Super Breakout by Atari -- which is even more annoying, because they released a "new" version (which is identical to the old one, other than missing a game mode) which I'd have to purchase again if I wanted it. There were a couple of others too, but those are the ones that I remember right off. Fortunately, I had them backed up to my computer and was able to restore them from there, but if I had wanted/needed to re-download them, I'd have been SOL -- I looked, and there was no way to do so.

I don't see any reason why Sony or MS will ever stop when DLC gotten so big now.

There will come a point when downloads of PSP content will be so few and far between that it won't be worthwhile for them to keep the servers up and running.

#1260 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:39 PM

http://www.appleinsi..._app_store.html

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312