DVD2Blu - Trade your DVDs for BLUs

kylem785

CAG Veteran
Sorry if this has been posted, didnt see it anywhere...
WB has rolled out a program to upgrade your current dvds to blurays!
http://www.dvd2blu.com/
There are about 79 listed as of now and most can be upgraded for just $5...you mail them your dvd, they send you the bluray new in packaging...pretty sweet deal!
I haven't tried it yet, but I probably will
Hope this helps some of you, I'd love to see it rolled out to other studios

Oooh, that's pretty cool, thanks OP.

I’ve got Blood Diamond, The Departed, Pan’s Labyrinth, and Elf all for $30 pre tax. Seems like a good deal.

Been around for awhile now actually. Unfortunately unless you've got multiple movies shipping absolutely kills the deal as you can get most of the titles for less on Amazon.

Actually it hasnt Izod.. that was the RedtoBlu program.. which is still active. They just started this one not too long ago.

[quote name='Coyotezeye']Actually it hasnt Izod.. that was the RedtoBlu program.. which is still active. They just started this one not too long ago.[/QUOTE]

Actually it has been around a while. It used to be 7.95 per title. I've had it bookmarked for over a year hoping that more titles would be listed.

[quote name='Izod517']Been around for awhile now actually. Unfortunately unless you've got multiple movies shipping absolutely kills the deal as you can get most of the titles for less on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

With DVD2Blu
Blazing Saddles$4.95L.A. Confidential$6.95Mask, The$4.95Ocean's Eleven$4.95Speed Racer$6.95
Total: $28.75

with Amazon
Ocean's Eleven $16.99
Blazing Saddles $11.49
The Mask $16.49
L.A. Confidential $14.99
Speed Racer* $10.00

Total: $69.96

Looks like i would save more money with DVD 2 Blu then Amazon.

*Amazon did not have a speed racer in stock so i went with Walmart who had the lowest price.

Typical guy is right that DVD2Blu has been around for awhile, but there have been titles added as well as a price drop. I didn't bite on it before; I might now. I'm not crazy about parting with the DVDs, but the price is finally right.

If it were just the UPC, I'd take them up on this offer. However, I am not sending them a disc, paying that shipping cost and waiting for the time it will take. Most of these catalog titles are less than 10-15 dollars new in most places and I just don't want to deal with the hassle.

It's nice they have this but sending in the disc and the shipping costs kills it for me.

[quote name='dg7md']If it were just the UPC, I'd take them up on this offer. However, I am not sending them a disc, paying that shipping cost and waiting for the time it will take. Most of these catalog titles are less than 10-15 dollars new in most places and I just don't want to deal with the hassle.

It's nice they have this but sending in the disc and the shipping costs kills it for me.[/QUOTE]

What shipping costs? The site says your order comes with a prepaid label for the DVDs you're sending in.

I might do this to finally get rid of my american history x snapper case. I would take advantage more but a lot of the titles I have special editions instead of the bare bones release which makes it harder to send in. Like True Romance and Pans Labrynth. And one final note, it's a bummer that elf is 6.99 instead of 4.99 like the rest cause I would love to send that in.

I'm in... gonna gather some titles. Particularly curious if Beetlejeuce looks better in Blu-Ray or not... (One way to find out...)

But one question: PAN'S LABYRINTH?? Who the hell bought that PoS?!? Most over-hyped garbage I've ever had the displeasure of being trapped in a movie theater watching! I wouldn't take a copy of that movie if it were FREE! Or rather, I would. But only to crush, burn, and then launch to the moon.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']I might do this to finally get rid of my american history x snapper case. I would take advantage more but a lot of the titles I have special editions instead of the bare bones release which makes it harder to send in. Like True Romance and Pans Labrynth. And one final note, it's a bummer that elf is 6.99 instead of 4.99 like the rest cause I would love to send that in.[/QUOTE]

You should be able to send in the special edition version of the dvds.

Here is something from the help section

http://www.dvd2blu.com/faq.html

Q: My DVD is a special version of the movie on DVD2Blu.com. Is it still eligible? A: Yes, we will accept special versions. For example, the Superman Returns DVD included in Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition is an eligible trade-in for the Superman Returns Blu-ray. However, a Superman Bonus Materials DVD is not eligible.

[quote name='Neo Queen Serenity']You should be able to send in the special edition version of the dvds.

Here is something from the help section

http://www.dvd2blu.com/faq.html

Q: My DVD is a special version of the movie on DVD2Blu.com. Is it still eligible? A: Yes, we will accept special versions. For example, the Superman Returns DVD included in Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition is an eligible trade-in for the Superman Returns Blu-ray. However, a Superman Bonus Materials DVD is not eligible.[/QUOTE]

I figured they would take it my problem is more the justification on my end. I love my dvd collection and I'm a sucker for my special editions. I really like the way True crime is packaged and as much as I want the blu-ray I'm not sure it's worth the trade off for me.

Here's my list of movies that I'll be sending for a total of $46.55:

Blazing Saddles
Blood Diamond
Blow
Elf
Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle (Unrated)
Last Samurai
Tim Burton's Corpse Bride
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
Tango & Cash

Not bad considering that I bought most of those for about $2.50 each at Blockbuster.

I only own Shoot 'em Up (already double dipped ala Hastings sale earlier this year) and The Aviator. Rock n' Rolla isn't a catalog title yet apparently. I already own quite a few of these on HD DVD anyway.

Elf DVD has a widescreen and standard separate DVD in the package. So I'm not really losing anything with that one except the crappy 4:3 one. I was just short of free shipping. At least 4 of the 5 I ordered were ones I probably would have bought on BD anyway.

What sux is I bet they send me the original BD of Christmas Vacation and not the new one. Can't believe BD has that many double dips already.

Edit: The FAQ says what you receive is the retail packaging as if you bought it in a store, so that's solid. The 5 movies I own from the list would cost me about $32 after shipping.

Yes, I'm also wondering if they send you just a BR disc or the entire package.

[quote name='Slappybob']With DVD2Blu
Blazing Saddles$4.95L.A. Confidential$6.95Mask, The$4.95Ocean's Eleven$4.95Speed Racer$6.95
Total: $28.75

with Amazon
Ocean's Eleven $16.99
Blazing Saddles $11.49
The Mask $16.49
L.A. Confidential $14.99
Speed Racer* $10.00

Total: $69.96

Looks like i would save more money with DVD 2 Blu then Amazon.

*Amazon did not have a speed racer in stock so i went with Walmart who had the lowest price.[/QUOTE]

If you order less than $35 worth of Blus, you get charged $4.95 for shipping. That's what he was getting at. Plus, I know you can find lower prices for those titles you listed. If you've got at least a $35 order, this program is totally worth it. I'm gonna raid my dvd collection tomorrow.

While I do have some of the movies listed on the site....I realized I already have the ones I would like to upgrade already on Blu. Oh well. A good deal if you haven't started the switch.

And like said above, the Hollywood Video clearance would be a good place to pick up some cheap dvds, since condition apparently doesn't matter.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']I figured they would take it my problem is more the justification on my end. I love my dvd collection and I'm a sucker for my special editions. I really like the way True crime is packaged and as much as I want the blu-ray I'm not sure it's worth the trade off for me.[/QUOTE]

That's the only movie that I have that I probably wouldn't trade up eventhough it is Blu-ray I like the style of the casing. I also have it for Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction. I might make a stop to Rasputin or some used media place and see if if they have a cheap used copy of it that I could swap.

This just goes to show that all those special sets they put out are not really worth it. Sure that box set with a plastic head in it was "worth" $150 five years ago. Today it's worth $1.50. Blu Ray has absolutely destroyed the resale value of DVD. The same will happen to Blu Ray when the next format comes out. I don't plan on ever buying a special set with a bunch of crap in it. What's the point? I want the movie, not some nick nack junk anyway. If you want some memorabilia, there are cheaper toys you can buy that are way cooler than the garbage that comes with DVD's/BR's.

[quote name='Dr.Zoidberg']Was this the program where some people had problems with Casablanca and a couple of others?[/QUOTE]

No, that was the :hd:2:br: program.

When that program first started, we were led to believe that we'd be getting the Ultimate Collector's Edition version of Casablanca shown here:

http://www.amazon.com/Casablanca-Ultimate-Collectors-Blu-ray-Humphrey/dp/B001EL6EH2

WBShop stalled the orders with Casablanca and rushed production of a non-retail single disc edition that wasn't shrink-wrapped, as seen here:

http://www.amazon.com/CASABLANCA-BL...ef=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1273416457&sr=1-3

But WBShop was good enough to not charge us for it though. :roll:

[quote name='typical guy']This just goes to show that all those special sets they put out are not really worth it. Sure that box set with a plastic head in it was "worth" $150 five years ago. Today it's worth $1.50. Blu Ray has absolutely destroyed the resale value of DVD. The same will happen to Blu Ray when the next format comes out. I don't plan on ever buying a special set with a bunch of crap in it. What's the point? I want the movie, not some nick nack junk anyway. If you want some memorabilia, there are cheaper toys you can buy that are way cooler than the garbage that comes with DVD's/BR's.[/QUOTE]

That's a hell of a blanket statement. Off the top of my head, the Qmx Enterprise that came with the BD is a real nice collectable not readily available elsewhere.

I'm surprised it took til the second page for someone to reach the conclusion I did immediately: MG/HWV clearances for $1-2 a pop would work great for this since only the disc is required. :D

What about fullscreen dvds? My parents collection has a ton of full screen dvds even though I tried to tell them for years that they'd be pissed when they finally got an hdtv. Now they have a hdtv and a blu ray player and tons of garbage fullscreen dvds that are of no use to anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great deal on some titles, not really worth it on others. I've got a bunch I want on blu-ray already but will be worth it for sure if I can find some cheap used DVD's of the others to send in.

I was looking at the reviews of the blu rays listed in this promo...they are god awful! I think the DVDs would be better in some cases. The one movie I really wanted to upgrade was The Fugitive, one of the lowest blu ray reviews I've ever seen...

[quote name='Treythalomew']What about fullscreen dvds? My parents collection has a ton of full screen dvds even though I tried to tell them for years that they'd be pissed when they finally got an hdtv. Now they have a hdtv and a blu ray player and tons of garbage fullscreen dvds that are of no use to anyone.[/QUOTE]

Why would they care? They aren't going to expect you to know the difference. As I already stated, Elf has 2 discs, so I sent the fullscreen one.

If you're sending in DVDs from a 2 disc set where one is the feature and one is bonus material, do you have send both or can you just send the feature disc? I checked the FAQ and it addresses the fact that Special Editions count, but I'm wondering if I can just send a single disc and keep the bonus stuff since most of these blu-rays are bare bone releases.

Sweet, they only require the discs! Not sure how to ship them without discs though. What did you guys put them in?

has anyone asked about disc with more than one movie on them? seen the oceans 11-13+60's for $2 at a used shop. think they will take it?

[quote name='typical guy']This just goes to show that all those special sets they put out are not really worth it. Sure that box set with a plastic head in it was "worth" $150 five years ago. Today it's worth $1.50. Blu Ray has absolutely destroyed the resale value of DVD. The same will happen to Blu Ray when the next format comes out. I don't plan on ever buying a special set with a bunch of crap in it. What's the point? I want the movie, not some nick nack junk anyway. If you want some memorabilia, there are cheaper toys you can buy that are way cooler than the garbage that comes with DVD's/BR's.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure most people don't buy special edition sets w/ the intent to re-sell them. It's a well known fact that like games many of them don't hold there value.

[quote name='J7.']Sweet, they only require the discs! Not sure how to ship them without discs though. What did you guys put them in?[/QUOTE]

They say somewhere to use a padded envelope. The label they generate is 1st class so the whole package can't be over 13 ounces.

[quote name='etcrane']If you're sending in DVDs from a 2 disc set where one is the feature and one is bonus material, do you have send both or can you just send the feature disc? I checked the FAQ and it addresses the fact that Special Editions count, but I'm wondering if I can just send a single disc and keep the bonus stuff since most of these blu-rays are bare bone releases.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere while getting my stuff ready they only want one disc (the feature).

[quote name='addicted2games']You do get the blu-ray case and all like a new copy, right? I noticed you only send in the DVDs without the cases.[/QUOTE]

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that you get cases with it, but they didn't specify if the BD came inside the case, or if they were packaged seperate (though I don't see why they'd send you a package to assemble, as the same plant that would have the discs, cases, and wraps would also have fully assembled slip-streamed packages).

I'm fairly confident that the reason they only want you to send in your disc is because they're destroying them after receiving them. For those who don't know, many disc manufacturing plants will destroy many discs (returns, qa fails, etc), and recycle the materials.

[quote name='Methadon']

I'm fairly confident that the reason they only want you to send in your disc is because they're destroying them after receiving them. For those who don't know, many disc manufacturing plants will destroy many discs (returns, qa fails, etc), and recycle the materials.[/QUOTE]

Makes sense, since I'd imagine a fair amount will arrive there already crushed from handling.

[quote name='turls']Why would they care? They aren't going to expect you to know the difference. As I already stated, Elf has 2 discs, so I sent the fullscreen one.[/QUOTE]

Nice, I'm going to do the exact same thing with Elf then.

[quote name='turls']They say somewhere to use a padded envelope. The label they generate is 1st class so the whole package can't be over 13 ounces.[/QUOTE]

I read that too. I'm wondering what people are sending the discs in. Are you guys putting them in paper disc sleeves for each disc? They do say they want them in good condition, but I do agree they probably destroy them. So if they want them in good condition you can't just throw them all in one envelope.

From anyone who has actually tried the program, what was the quality of the blurays when they arrived? New in shrinkwrap? Are they just the barebones Bluray features or are the special feature discs included as well.

I have about 15 of these on dvd that I am interested in upgrading on, but I don't want to just jump in without knowing the end result.

[quote name='J7.']I read that too. I'm wondering what people are sending the discs in. Are you guys putting them in paper disc sleeves for each disc? They do say they want them in good condition, but I do agree they probably destroy them. So if they want them in good condition you can't just throw them all in one envelope.[/QUOTE]

Of course you can send them in one envelope. Netflix does this as their business and they don't even use padded envelopes.

[quote name='Rivana']From anyone who has actually tried the program, what was the quality of the blurays when they arrived? New in shrinkwrap? Are they just the barebones Bluray features or are the special feature discs included as well.

I have about 15 of these on dvd that I am interested in upgrading on, but I don't want to just jump in without knowing the end result.[/QUOTE]

The site says that the discs come new and are just like the retail copies of the Blus, and I would assume that it'd be shrinkwrapped but that I am not for sure about.

I do know of many Blu-rays that do not contain the same special features as the regular DVDs, but you'll receive a retail copy of whatever Blu-ray it is you are converting to.

[quote name='turls']Of course you can send them in one envelope. Netflix does this as their business and they don't even use padded envelopes.[/QUOTE]

Just throw 6 discs in 1 envelope and have them scratch the hell out of each other? I haven't used netflix but it looks like they use 1 envelope per disc.

Has anyone gotten their blu rays back that has sent in DVDs? I'm just wondering how it all worked out. I'm thinking about tracking down some of the DVDs on this list that I have and maybe finding cheap copies of some of the others. Just wanted to hear some success stories. Thanks.

bread's done
Back