DVD2Blu - Trade your DVDs for BLUs

kylem785

CAG Veteran
Sorry if this has been posted, didnt see it anywhere...
WB has rolled out a program to upgrade your current dvds to blurays!
http://www.dvd2blu.com/
There are about 79 listed as of now and most can be upgraded for just $5...you mail them your dvd, they send you the bluray new in packaging...pretty sweet deal!
I haven't tried it yet, but I probably will
Hope this helps some of you, I'd love to see it rolled out to other studios

[quote name='J7.']Just throw 6 discs in 1 envelope and have them scratch the hell out of each other? I haven't used netflix but it looks like they use 1 envelope per disc.[/QUOTE]

Well, the only conceivable reason they are asking for the DVDs and nothing else would be that they are going to destroy the discs, so condition doesn't really matter. If it did I am sure they'd clarify that in the instructions. I wouldn't worry about disc condition when you send these off.

[quote name='dg7md']Well, the only conceivable reason they are asking for the DVDs and nothing else would be that they are going to destroy the discs, so condition doesn't really matter. If it did I am sure they'd clarify that in the instructions. I wouldn't worry about disc condition when you send these off.[/QUOTE]

But they do clarify it. Are you sending them all loose in an bubble mailer?

9. The DVD disc of the Participating Title must be:
an authorized, original DVD copy of the movie. Pirated and/or DVD-R copies are not valid; and
in good condition.

[quote name='J7.']But they do clarify it. Are you sending them all loose in an bubble mailer?

9. The DVD disc of the Participating Title must be:
an authorized, original DVD copy of the movie. Pirated and/or DVD-R copies are not valid; and
in good condition.[/QUOTE]

It said not to tape them together so your only option is to leave them loose.

Placed an order for 7 of them. Took all 7 DVD discs, put them label to label and put them in a bubble mailer. Sealed it up and taped the label to it. Hope to get the discs soon.

Just hit a pawn shop or a closing movie store and get the discs for $1 and then send them in. Will end up costing $6 per disc if you get the free shipping.

[quote name='Magikarp830']I'm in... gonna gather some titles. Particularly curious if Beetlejeuce looks better in Blu-Ray or not... (One way to find out...)

But one question: PAN'S LABYRINTH?? Who the hell bought that PoS?!? Most over-hyped garbage I've ever had the displeasure of being trapped in a movie theater watching! I wouldn't take a copy of that movie if it were FREE! Or rather, I would. But only to crush, burn, and then launch to the moon.[/QUOTE]

you sure you don't want my dvd copy of pan's labyrinth when i upgrade to blu-ray?

i saw a couple people ask, but i didn't see an answer - has anyone actually gotten blu-rays back from this? were they sealed?

i see that there is shipping on orders under $35. is there any tax?

i only have one movie on that list. i'm going to see if any family members have any. or i might hit up the hollywood video (?) that is closing to see what they have.

netflix does ship dvds in unpadded envelopes. but the discs are in sleeves. and i have only gotten a single disc at a time.

i don't know how well shipping multiple discs in the same envelope would go.

[quote name='typical guy']This just goes to show that all those special sets they put out are not really worth it. Sure that box set with a plastic head in it was "worth" $150 five years ago. Today it's worth $1.50. Blu Ray has absolutely destroyed the resale value of DVD. The same will happen to Blu Ray when the next format comes out. I don't plan on ever buying a special set with a bunch of crap in it. What's the point? I want the movie, not some nick nack junk anyway. If you want some memorabilia, there are cheaper toys you can buy that are way cooler than the garbage that comes with DVD's/BR's.[/QUOTE]

you clearly don't own the awesomeness that is the futurama dvd set packaged inside a bender head replica.

The best you'll be able to get these at HWV will be $1.99, and even then you will need to get very lucky, they will definitely be gone after that and almost all will be gone before that.

[quote name='turls']I don't see DVDs rubbing against each other causing issues. I've already sent them, so we'll see.[/QUOTE]

My DVD's get scratched if I just store them label on top of label and they get moved around slightly. I hope you get them. One package can get moved around a lot more than another so one confirmation won't be enough.

[quote name='ZForce915']It said not to tape them together so your only option is to leave them loose.[/QUOTE]

Or put them in sleeves.

[quote name='cheapomonkey']i saw a couple people ask, but i didn't see an answer - has anyone actually gotten blu-rays back from this? were they sealed?

i see that there is shipping on orders under $35. is there any tax?
[/QUOTE]
I havent taken part in this promotion, but I did with the HD2BLU promotion. I don't remember if I paid sales tax, but the new blu's were all sealed in original retail packaging.

I decided to send mine off and just put them in a manila envelope with a piece of paper as the sheath between them. I'm pretty sure they are not gonna be anal about the conditions. I think they say "in good condition" to prevent someone sending literally broken and cracked discs they found somewhere in the trash or whatever.

Anyway if, I'm certain as long as we paid and sent them in, we'll get them.

I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing the deal here. $5 for the disc, $3 to ship + time for them to get around to doing it. Most of these can be had at Walmart for $8 already (some were $6.99 last week at Best Buy). Perhaps I'm just missing it, but man, I don't see why everyone's going crazy over what appears to be such a horrible deal. :/

[quote name='jaysapathy']I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing the deal here. $5 for the disc, $3 to ship + time for them to get around to doing it. Most of these can be had at Walmart for $8 already (some were $6.99 last week at Best Buy). Perhaps I'm just missing it, but man, I don't see why everyone's going crazy over what appears to be such a horrible deal. :/[/QUOTE]

I got nine Blu's for $5.50/ea. How is that a bad deal?

It's decent if own the movies already and do free ship. I don't so I'd have to try to pick em up at HWV, but I doubt they'd have them by the time movies get down to the $1-2 range. I saw some of these (a few) at the store the other day for $9.99. Still keeping this deal in mind though. Just putting paper between each disc in the envelope is a great idea dg7md.

Does anyone know of any other ongoing programs like this one? It's a great opportunity to upgrade my DVDs and get some other blu-rays on the cheap should I find cheap versions of the DVD counterparts. If there are any others, I want to take advantage of them too.

I sent off for these just over a week ago and have gotten no confirmation email of them getting my discs nor a charge from them. I'm wondering if it's delayed or what?

[quote name='yankeesfan330']Does anyone know of any other ongoing programs like this one? It's a great opportunity to upgrade my DVDs and get some other blu-rays on the cheap should I find cheap versions of the DVD counterparts. If there are any others, I want to take advantage of them too.[/QUOTE]

For a while Paramount was doing $10 mail-in-rebates if you upgraded certain movies. I know last black Friday Best Buy was selling Braveheart and Gladiator for $13 each. With the mail-in-rebate that lowered the price to $3 per upgrade ($3.50 if you count the stamp) so that was a good deal but you have to wait a couple months to get your money back. I think that was supposed to end sometime this year, maybe next month? It might not be too late to upgrade a couple of those.

[quote name='typical guy']For a while Paramount was doing $10 mail-in-rebates if you upgraded certain movies. I know last black Friday Best Buy was selling Braveheart and Gladiator for $13 each. With the mail-in-rebate that lowered the price to $3 per upgrade ($3.50 if you count the stamp) so that was a good deal but you have to wait a couple months to get your money back. I think that was supposed to end sometime this year, maybe next month? It might not be too late to upgrade a couple of those.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I bought Transformers Blu and there was a coupon for that MIR in the case. IIRC that ends 6/29/10 but don't quote me on that since I don't have the add sitting in front of me.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']I havent taken part in this promotion, but I did with the HD2BLU promotion. I don't remember if I paid sales tax, but the new blu's were all sealed in original retail packaging.[/QUOTE]

You get the original retail packaging for the blu-rays? That's actually not a bad deal. I guess I'm not sure how I thought they'd be shipped back, but I thought it'd be kind of a disc only thing in return since that's all you gave them. I have maybe 10+ movies from the list. I think I'm going to have to actually do the upgrade thing then.

[quote name='Rivana']From anyone who has actually tried the program, what was the quality of the blurays when they arrived? New in shrinkwrap? Are they just the barebones Bluray features or are the special feature discs included as well.

I have about 15 of these on dvd that I am interested in upgrading on, but I don't want to just jump in without knowing the end result.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they require you to send in special feature discs (assuming they're separate) and the special features on most blu-rays are standard dvd quality anyways. So, if you still have your special features disc, no harm if the blu-rays don't come with them.

[quote name='Denzalo']So has anybody received their Blus yet?[/QUOTE]

I sent 7 dvds in about two weeks ago and received them today. They came UPS and I wasn't sent a confirmation from Warner that they received my discs.

[quote name='MrFXXIII']I sent 7 dvds in about two weeks ago and received them today. They came UPS and I wasn't sent a confirmation from Warner that they received my discs.[/QUOTE]

Cool. Much more prompt service than I was expecting from this...

My DVD2Blu discs came in a few weeks after sending them out, came in all individually skrinkwrapped and just like I got them out of the store. Overall, I'm very satisfied with this promotion.

Same here, got mine a few days ago, no complaints. No worries about the trade-ins getting scratched up in shipping to invalidate them, or sending only the Fullscreen edition of Elf and keeping the widescreen one, etc. I don't get where people were complaining about bare-bones discs either, the BD's I got have typical features I expect on BDs for the most part.

After seeing dg7md's post, I went off to my local pawn shop and got 7 DVDs off the list for $3 each. Then I went to a Hollywood Video and got 3 more for like $5. I just stacked them all in a bubble envelope and dropped it in the mailbox on Friday. I see no reason to put these DVDs all in sleeves, I made sure the DVDs wouldn't slide around too much, so I'm 98% sure that they will be fine. I'll keep you all updated on when they arrive and if I actually get a e-mail confirming that they received or mailed out my blu rays.

Roughly a week since I sent my DVDs in, and no e-mails yet. Got some more DVDs for this on FYE's store wide sale ($4.19 for 4 of my movies, and 4.89 for Ocean's 13). I'm also getting a few cheap movies off Amazon for this as well. You need 7 DVDs for free shipping and the cost of shipping is the cost of the average BR ($4.95) on the list, so why not?

[quote name='SanjiX']Roughly a week since I sent my DVDs in, and no e-mails yet. Got some more DVDs for this on FYE's store wide sale ($4.19 for 4 of my movies, and 4.89 for Ocean's 13). I'm also getting a few cheap movies off Amazon for this as well. You need 7 DVDs for free shipping and the cost of shipping is the cost of the average BR ($4.95) on the list, so why not?[/QUOTE]

The only email I think you get is the first one with the shipping label, from that point you can track if it was received but I think they just send them out and I'm pretty certain they won't make any attempt to communicate with you.

**edit**

Nope, I'm wrong about that. From their FAQs:

Q: What is the status of my order?
A: Your prepaid postage label includes delivery tracking (see above). We will also send you an email when your new Blu-ray discs ship. You will be able to track the Blu-ray discs through the UPS or USPS tracking system.

[quote name='ZForce915']The only email I think you get is the first one with the shipping label, from that point you can track if it was received but I think they just send them out and I'm pretty certain they won't make any attempt to communicate with you.

**edit**

Nope, I'm wrong about that. From their FAQs:

Q: What is the status of my order?
A: Your prepaid postage label includes delivery tracking (see above). We will also send you an email when your new Blu-ray discs ship. You will be able to track the Blu-ray discs through the UPS or USPS tracking system.[/QUOTE]

Ah. What was I thinking? I should of known to check the number on my shipping label. It said they received my DVDs on June 9th. At least I know they have my DVDs now! :)

I asked the and there are a number of blus on backorder. Mine has been delayed because of The Mask, V for Vendetta and Oceans Eleven.

I've been procrastinating on this deal for a while. The free shipping makes it worth it. I'm trading in The Lost Boys and Wedding Crashers, for just $10.50. Pretty nice deal.

You guys may also want to see if any pawn shops around you are selling dvds for a dollar (some around here have gotten to that point). You can pick up cheap copies of some of these and then swap them for blu.

[quote name='ZForce915']I asked the and there are a number of blus on backorder. Mine has been delayed because of The Mask, V for Vendetta and Oceans Eleven.[/QUOTE]
Well, that sucks. My first order has V for Vendetta in it. And I'm about to send out Ocean's Eleven & The Mask.

Also, what's up with the site having Ocean's Eleven & Thirteen, but not Twelve? Been tempted to get a DVD copy of Twelve so when they put it on the site, I'll be able to ship it out.

[quote name='skinkrawl']You guys may also want to see if any pawn shops around you are selling dvds for a dollar (some around here have gotten to that point). You can pick up cheap copies of some of these and then swap them for blu.[/QUOTE]

That is good advice, skin. That's what I've been doing (I'm willing to pay $2-5 for a DVD so I can get a BR that is roughly $15-30 at retail.) Been getting a lot of the DVDs on the list at pawn shops, a liquidating Hollywood Video, and the current store wide FYE sale that's going on in my area. I'm mainly just grabbing whatever I can find that is used and cheap, and then I'll exchange them for blus.

[quote name='hiamiyumi']Freddy vs Jason has 2 disc. Do I have to send 2 disc or just the movie disc?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Just the movie disc. Example: Elf has a Wide/Full screen disc. You only have to send one. Terminator 3 has a separate Special Edition DVD (It's a 2 disc set), you keep the Special features DVD and just ship out the movie DVD.

Remember to ship out the right disc, or else they will destroy it, and not send it back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Free shipping on ANY order: June 11, 12 and 13

EDIT: LOL I don't have any of the ones on that list. Then again, I think my DVD collection is down to like 10 movies now.

[quote name='SanjiX']

Also, what's up with the site having Ocean's Eleven & Thirteen, but not Twelve? Been tempted to get a DVD copy of Twelve so when they put it on the site, I'll be able to ship it out.

[/QUOTE]

Because Twelve was awful ;]

got a stupid question I have the movies dumb and dumber and freddy vs jason but there new line entertainment will they still let me trade these in

bread's done
Back