Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Sweet Home of the 2013 Stanley Cup Champions!

• Please log in to reply
5327 replies to this topic

#5101 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:14 AM

^ Could be very wrong here, but I thought someone brought this up a few months ago and seriously panned it.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#5102 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

Slowdive suggested that I could ask this here so I hope you guys don't mind me going off topic for a bit.

I'm going to start working downtown starting in October. Rent in Chicago is expensive (though I could technically afford it, I'd rather have money to eat and pay off my student loans) so I plan to live in the suburbs.

I was wondering if you guys could make any recommendations about on living/working from the suburbs/downtown, or any specific apartment complexes that you'd recommend?

I'm basically looking for a 1 bedroom apartment and a place where I can use the trains (my workplace will be right by 121 Union... or something? I have no idea how the trains work yet). A fairly big place would be nice so I could finally have enough room for my came collection. The only amenity I want is a place to park my car like an individual garage or at least, my own space since I have a rather nice car. But I've been told I can't be too picky about that aspect.

I heard Oak Park is a good place but I honestly have no idea what's what in Chicago/suburbs. I've lived in Rockford the last two decades and have gotten so used to driving everywhere. I never planned on working in Chicago but the circumstances are beyond my control.

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Uncharted: Golden Abyss - :)

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :-|

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#5103 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

I'm not really familiar with the Metra routes (tho I should be) but there are a lot of people here in Mt. Prospect that park in the daily pay spaces near the train station and commute into the city. I'm sure apartments are a mixed bag all around the 'burbs. I've lived in 7 different apartments since getting married, but 6 of them were in West Ridge / W Rogers Park in Chicago. My advice would be to do as much research online about specific complexes to hear what the tenants bitch about: utilities, parking, neighbor demographics, even bugs. Best of luck.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#5104 plvl

plvl

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:45 PM

the brickyard target has 2 ps3 rocksmith undles with cord and at least one xbox one with cord /$30

#5105 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:55 AM

I'm not really familiar with the Metra routes (tho I should be) but there are a lot of people here in Mt. Prospect that park in the daily pay spaces near the train station and commute into the city. I'm sure apartments are a mixed bag all around the 'burbs. I've lived in 7 different apartments since getting married, but 6 of them were in West Ridge / W Rogers Park in Chicago. My advice would be to do as much research online about specific complexes to hear what the tenants bitch about: utilities, parking, neighbor demographics, even bugs. Best of luck.

So it's basically a crapshoot, huh? Oh well, I figured as much. Good thing I have time still.

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#5106 WeaponX2099

WeaponX2099

Basement Jaxx!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

So it's basically a crapshoot, huh? Oh well, I figured as much. Good thing I have time still.

It's a big giant crapshoot. North & West and South all have good areas that close to Metra services. But you could go the north side possibly find something in your range.

#5107 52club

52club

This ain't intramurals!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

Mt. Prospect might give you life a little more like Rockford. Metra Service is good that direction, and you would come into Olgilvie station which is the closest Metra station to 121 Union. Plus Rockford isn't hard to get to from that location.

I've lived on the south side as well (95th and Cicero), that SouthWest line sucked (and probably still does because it crosses tracks used by freight trains). The Rock Island is more dependable but goes into a station a good distance from where you'll be at versus the SouthWest line that goes into Union Station which is a bit closer.

Presently I'm in Evanston. It is urban, but having lots of things within walking distance is great. I go the entire week without having to use my car. It is definitely has a higher cost of living than if you go West or South. However, the Metra service is great. An example is Metra had planned a multi-million dollar project. It was going to cause some people to have to wait 15-30 minutes longer for a train. Because of the money and influence that lives on this line Metra cancelled the plans for the project. And then developed plans where service would not be disrupted.
Space for Rent:lol:

#5108 Makarov

Makarov

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

Anyone find anything good at the Half Price Books sales around the suburbs here?

#5109 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

It's a big giant crapshoot. North & West and South all have good areas that close to Metra services. But you could go the north side possibly find something in your range.

Mt. Prospect might give you life a little more like Rockford. Metra Service is good that direction, and you would come into Olgilvie station which is the closest Metra station to 121 Union. Plus Rockford isn't hard to get to from that location.

I've lived on the south side as well (95th and Cicero), that SouthWest line sucked (and probably still does because it crosses tracks used by freight trains). The Rock Island is more dependable but goes into a station a good distance from where you'll be at versus the SouthWest line that goes into Union Station which is a bit closer.

Presently I'm in Evanston. It is urban, but having lots of things within walking distance is great. I go the entire week without having to use my car. It is definitely has a higher cost of living than if you go West or South. However, the Metra service is great. An example is Metra had planned a multi-million dollar project. It was going to cause some people to have to wait 15-30 minutes longer for a train. Because of the money and influence that lives on this line Metra cancelled the plans for the project. And then developed plans where service would not be disrupted.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#5110 ryosnk

ryosnk

I'm a super patriot.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:38 AM

Im debating this summer maybe have a Saturn bomberman party (10 player) with food and drinks. Would there be people interesting in coming if I do this?

#5111 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

Anyone find anything good at the Half Price Books sales around the suburbs here?

Yes, but not for a while now. Full disclosure is I'm planning on doing a complete (when the hell did they open one in Naperville?) circuit this Sunday on the 50% off sale. Promised my wife we'd hit any nearby malls and whatnot too. If I see anything standout, I might post here, altho I don't like using forums on my phone, tapatalk be damned.

Im debating this summer maybe have a Saturn bomberman party (10 player) with food and drinks. Would there be people interesting in coming if I do this?

I really should make an effort to come to a physical meetup one of these days. I'm a perpetual maybe.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#5112 WeaponX2099

WeaponX2099

Basement Jaxx!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

I'm cool with that.

#5113 TheHeef

TheHeef

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

when the hell did they open one in Naperville?

*Raises hand* I'm at that one a lot. Usually can find good stuff there, but it's hit or miss.

#5114 WeaponX2099

WeaponX2099

Basement Jaxx!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:49 AM

Any word on C2E2 discount tickets?

#5115 TheHeef

TheHeef

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

Son of a bitch! The Play N Trade in Naperville closed! Can't even pick the bones at a going-out-of-business sale.

#5116 ryosnk

ryosnk

I'm a super patriot.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:22 AM

Los Bulls!!

#5117 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:47 AM

Bulls!!!!!!!
WTB: Outback Joey ($900 bounty for cart only!)

#5118 Bezerker

Bezerker

Bezerker Barrage!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

Does anyone happen to be near the Gamestop on Cicero Ave? There is a $10 game I am looking for at these stores and I am willing to give $25 to cover the cost of game, S&H costs and gas/time.

Hope someone can help me.

538822.png

#5119 WeaponX2099

WeaponX2099

Basement Jaxx!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

Does anyone happen to be near the Gamestop on Cicero Ave? There is a $10 game I am looking for at these stores and I am willing to give $25 to cover the cost of game, S&H costs and gas/time.

Hope someone can help me.

What game? PM me, it maybe at one the one near me.

#5120 Lord_Kefka

Lord_Kefka

Son of a Submariner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

http://www.suntimes....ith-cancer.html

Dammit.

Lord Kefka... you're insatiable.

My Tradelist

#5121 TooMuchCoolness

TooMuchCoolness

Deep Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

What's the game, Berzerker?

NighT_Ryder31.png

#5122 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

http://www.suntimes....ith-cancer.html

Dammit.

Geez. Great guy. My only complaint of him was that he said video games weren't art. Other than that I have all the respect in the world of him. God rest his soul.

#5123 kona

kona

denham's dentrifice

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:35 AM

R.I.P., Rog. Definitely one of my fav writers ever.

#5124 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:03 AM

I had a love/hate relationship. One way, natch. I always liked Siskel better.

I came across a review of this place on Yelp; anybody ever been there?

http://www.yelp.com/...ade-east-dundee
http://www.undergroundretrocade.com
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#5125 WeaponX2099

WeaponX2099

Basement Jaxx!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:24 AM

I had a love/hate relationship. One way, natch. I always liked Siskel better.

I came across a review of this place on Yelp; anybody ever been there?

http://www.yelp.com/...ade-east-dundee
http://www.undergroundretrocade.com

I've never heard of it, but that page lead me to 3 other spot that maybe cool too.

http://www.yelp.com/...twork-chicago-2

and http://www.yelp.com/...dware-chicago-5

#5126 mrosnwo

mrosnwo

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:39 AM

Oh, ignite network is at a new location? I've never been there, but I noticed where they used to be(Clybourn and Western), the building was torn down completely. Never saw anyone in there all the times I drove by, I wondered how they stayed in business. Also, the Underground Retrocade is supposed to be legit. Galloping Ghost often sends their "pros" over there, and they've run co-promoted competitions with each other.

#5127 dpac

dpac

FastFoodSnob

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:43 AM

Oh, ignite network is at a new location? I've never been there, but I noticed where they used to be(Clybourn and Western), the building was torn down completely. Never saw anyone in there all the times I drove by, I wondered how they stayed in business. Also, the Underground Retrocade is supposed to be legit. Galloping Ghost often sends their "pros" over there, and they've run co-promoted competitions with each other.

Haven't been to the new location, but I've tried the Rock Band studio at the old location. Consoles for multiplayer (Black Ops, BlazBlue) & PCs for whatever's popular (be it StarCraft II or whatnot). Got promo e-mails about StarCraft tournaments & Steel Series peripherals, so it seems they're doing well for themselves. Plenty of kids when I stopped by on that evening, too (associated multi-hour promos seem to abound).

#5128 GreyFoxx2002

GreyFoxx2002

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

RIP Elbert...NWI CAG here. Nice to meet you all!!!

#5129 mrkevon

mrkevon

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:53 AM

Hi Cags. Anyone have a SNES for sale? I recently picked up Killer Instinct and I looking for for system.

#5130 trollape74

trollape74

Lifting and Gaming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:10 AM

Any CAGS been to the Maxwell Street Market lately? Been itching to go but don't want to take off work if there aren't too many sellers out.