Photo
- - - - -

Fallout: New Vegas - Gen. Discussion & Info ...Out NOW!

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#121 cheapfrag

cheapfrag

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:49 PM

I started playing FO:NV in January-February 2011 timeframe, hoping that the bugs were worked out by then. I completed the game. It started not being so bad - an occassional freeze maybe every few sessions, but then it seemed to get worse for me the longer I played. Or maybe I just got fed up with it. It seemed to freeze at least once a gaming session. I thought maybe jumping was bad, so I tried to limit that. I also thought that when moving to an area and the game is loading, I would wait for a bit once the gameplay started again to let it finish its load. Save often. If it shutters/lags/slow down - stop and hope it it comes back.

#122 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:36 PM

And this is brought to you by the same company that made Alpha Protocol, which is said to also be horribly buggy.

I played ~100 hours of Alpha Protocol with three playthroughs, and did not encounter a single freeze, glitch, or bug.

If New Vegas runs with that level of performance, methinks the issues with New Vegas are horribly overstated.

Bethesda nerfed Fallout 3 GOTY hardcore, I'm guessing issues are with the engine, not Obsidian (even if their track record isn't what we could call perfect).

#123 Saint Noir

Saint Noir

CinemaScope

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:43 PM

Yeah, it's the engine. See Fallout 3. Some people had huge issues, others had very few. I had few issues. The engine is the worst though. So glad it is going away in Skyrim.

#124 cheapfrag

cheapfrag

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:45 PM

It's weird because I played Fallout 3 (regular version but late in its life) and did not have nearly the number of freezes I have with New Vegas. So I thought that NV would settle down like Fallout 3 did after patches but that was not the case.

#125 theblizzman

theblizzman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:32 AM

I throught fallout 3 was better. New Vegas crashed my system at least 20+ times. Buggiest game I have ever played.

#126 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:07 AM

I've only had it freeze once in maybe 20 hours played so far but be warned the game is not a whole lot different then Fallout 3. Of course, New Vegas runs pretty cheaply these days so...

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#127 AdmrlBalls

AdmrlBalls

Beefcake pantyhose

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:18 PM

I've only had it freeze once in maybe 20 hours played so far but be warned the game is not a whole lot different then Fallout 3. Of course, New Vegas runs pretty cheaply these days so...

Yeah, I just picked up a new copy of NV for $20 last week. I don't plan on playing it right away though as Fallout 3 took a long time for me to play through.

AdmrlBalls.png

#128 skinkrawl

skinkrawl

DoyoulikePhilCollins

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:41 PM

I was really disappointed with the game. The bugs were just killing it, and to top it off, the story and decisions you are presented with are really stale and frustrating. Had high hopes, but it didn't pay off.

#129 dbmottle

dbmottle

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:14 PM

I played this for about 17 hours but then gave up and sold it. I didn't have it crash much at all, but I just couldn't get into the story. I loved Fallout 3 but NV just seems boring in comparison.

#130 bendeco45

bendeco45

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:52 PM

I played this for about 17 hours but then gave up and sold it. I didn't have it crash much at all, but I just couldn't get into the story. I loved Fallout 3 but NV just seems boring in comparison.

I feel the same way, although I had it crash on me about every 3 hours played give or take. It just wasn't nearly as interesting or enjoyable as Fallout 3. It also seemed like I got to the point of being close to finishing the main storyline really quickly. With Fallout 3 it took a lot longer to get near the end, maybe the side missions were more interesting, who knows. I keep meaning to get back into it and finish it one of these days, but the desire just isn't there.

#131 cliqueatnightvandal

cliqueatnightvandal

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:34 PM

The side quest in Fallout 3 seem to have better writing and are just more interesting in general. In New Vegas it feels for the most part like generic open world game quest. I wasn't that pleased with the game when it came out but after having Cass in party it grew on me. She's pretty hilarious.

#132 BennyWii

BennyWii

Lord of CAGton

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:41 AM

Should I get the Dead Money DLC? I know it's not all that great, but at least for the trophies...or something?

Posted Image

Now Playing: Dead Space 2 (Hardcore), Burnout Paradise, Boderlands DLC.

Platinum Trophies:\\:D/
Infamous_Borderlands_Assassin's Creed 2_Fallout 3_ Fallout New Vegas_Sly 1_Sly 2_Sly 3_Dead Space.

#133 coolz481

coolz481

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:43 AM

Has anyone tried this since the new patch came out? I read that it could still be downloaded even though PSN is down. I really want to pick this up for $20, but those bugs everyone complains about keep holding me back...
\\:D/

#134 uncle5555

uncle5555

Grumpy Veteran CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:19 PM

Has anyone tried this since the new patch came out? I read that it could still be downloaded even though PSN is down. I really want to pick this up for $20, but those bugs everyone complains about keep holding me back...

Just finished a 60 hour playthrough and other than being tired of playing it, I thought it was worth the $20 I spent on it, I don't know how well the patches fix things, but I don't remember a lock up after I got the latest patch released here in the last week or two. (and yes patches are still available to be gotten without PSN, I got it after the PSN shutdown)

And for those saying it feels more open world, probably because it feels more like Fallout 1 (developed by some of the same staff that did New Vegas) letting you do what you want. The only thing I didn't care for was the faction likability and how even though Karma only impacts a few things, how you can't steal anything without getting negative Karma for it (even in an empty deserted house that no one has lived in for years, I mean seriously....)

Otherwise, if you liked 3 there is something to like here too, just know it's more like Fallout 3-lite.

On the upside someone mentioned Cassidy as their traveling partner, I took Veronica and enjoyed her accompanying me, the only drawback to that was not getting as many perks as I should have had (since she killed many enemies before I could react), still I found it hard to dump her off (I eventually went back and got her for the endgame fight, even though she was unconscious for most of it, :lol:)
The CAG motto: "Maybe you'll luck out and get the game during a sale before it sells out, maybe not, that's the life of a CAG. Luck of the draw. And timing is everything."

#135 pob14

pob14

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

I just went back to this last weekend - didn't even know there was a new patch until it downloaded, but it does seem to run smoother than it used to.

#136 cindersphere

cindersphere

Running on no sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:57 AM

So going back to this after taking a break and getting every ending except the NCR ending. I have got to say that the best ending so far has got to be the Legion ending. You actually feel like you matter, instead of just bringing the robot army to thwart the armies.

Edit- Oh man, I just got the ending where you side with Elijah, man what they do is kinda messed up.

Edited by cindersphere, 19 June 2011 - 04:17 AM.

Religion ends and philosophy begins, just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins and astrology ends, and astronomy begins. - Christopher Hitchens 1949-2011

#137 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:52 AM

Been playing this the last week. I really liked Fallout 3, and this stomps FO3. Obsidian should handle the series full-time, and Bethesda proper should focus on The Elder Scrolls.
Anti-State, Anti-War, Pro-Market

#138 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

so after all the patches is fo3 goty and fo nv ultimate finally playable?

Velo214.png
sig.gif

#139 screwkick

screwkick

It's T-Shirt Time...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

so after all the patches is fo3 goty and fo nv ultimate finally playable?

It's been playable for quite a while.