Yakuza 3 (PS3) - $22.96 fulfilled by Amazon

A little bummed that I fell into the "It's going OOP and will be super rare soon!" hype and bought it for $40, but still, it's a great game.

How much was this again during the last Gamefly sale when it went OOS for the whole sale?
Gamefly isn't doing a month's-end sale this month I guess, so maybe I'll quit waiting for this and grab it. Just picked up Valkaryia Chronicles, so this will complete my "PS3 games that I need to wait for them to drop on" collection.
Well, until Heavy Rain gets cheap.

debating on this. The cheapass in me says to hold off, especially considering i just splurged on the Mafia 2 CE @ $36 and AC: Brotherhood CE @ $60. Anyone say its a 'must-own' at this price?

[quote name='shadou']It seems odd to me that Amazon (not through a 3rd party) is still selling this for $52.37.[/QUOTE]

It's not Amazon's fault. The MSRP is still $60 which mostly means SEGA wouldn't drop the price.
Greedy? Maybe, maybe not.

I plan to pick this game up when it reaches $15, but if I see it's likely to happen I might grab it for $20.

the price has been like that for almost a week. i wonder if im gonna get one or just wait till it drops more.

[quote name='superhippy1986']Awesome deal. Game graphics are crap but it wasa fun experience when I rented it.[/QUOTE]

graphics is better on demo, atleast compare to GTA 4.

This is very very tempting since I have Amazon Prime. I almost bought the game at full price last year. However, I still need to play Yakuza 1 and 2. Decisions decisions....

[quote name='evildeadjedi']This is very very tempting since I have Amazon Prime. I almost bought the game at full price last year. However, I still need to play Yakuza 1 and 2. Decisions decisions....[/QUOTE]

Same boat here...

[quote name='evildeadjedi']This is very very tempting since I have Amazon Prime. I almost bought the game at full price last year. However, I still need to play Yakuza 1 and 2. Decisions decisions....[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bobphone']Same boat here...[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't recommend just jumping into this series. The gameplay is different than what you'd expect... there is a demo but that was a pretty awful demo.

[quote name='superhippy1986']Awesome deal. Game graphics are crap but it wasa fun experience when I rented it.[/QUOTE]
I thought the game looked great.

[quote name='Vinny']I wouldn't recommend just jumping into this series. The gameplay is different than what you'd expect... there is a demo but that was a pretty awful demo.[/QUOTE]

All right so I probably should just play the sealed copies of one and two I own then after that pick up 3. By that time four will probably be cheap as well.

What is the gameplay like? Is it like Shenmue?

You don't need to play Y1 or 2. In the game is a synopsis that fills you with the story from 1 and 2

I would highly recommend the game at this price

[quote name='takotchi']Should've launched at that price, considering how much content was cut. :roll:[/QUOTE]

so are you getting yakuza 4 at full price?

[quote name='62t']so are you getting yakuza 4 at full price?[/QUOTE]

No, I'm not wasting my money on either. They're both cut.

[quote name='takotchi']No, I'm not wasting my money on either. They're both cut.[/QUOTE]

Um Sega actually listened to the fans and didn't cut stuff like massage parlors, Hostess clubs, and Pachinko for Yakuza 4. So far they only cut out some trivia game.

[quote name='62t']Um Sega actually listened to the fans and didn't cut stuff like massage parlors, Hostess clubs, and Pachinko for Yakuza 4. So far they only cut out some trivia game.[/QUOTE]
It's the only thing that's confirmed to be cut, over at the SEGA/Yakuza forums people are asking if anything else was cut and the Senor Producer of Yakuza 4 is not answering. This could mean nothing but it also could mean he doesn't want to say before the game comes out.

[quote name='62t']Um Sega actually listened to the fans and didn't cut stuff like massage parlors, Hostess clubs, and Pachinko for Yakuza 4. So far they only cut out some trivia game.[/QUOTE]

THAT MEANS IT'S CUT. #-o

Not to mention Sega has lied before about the amount of cuts and/or reasons for cutting games. If I was a gambling man, I'd bet money Sega will cut more than Answer x Answer from Yakuza 4.

[quote name='takotchi']THAT MEANS IT'S CUT. #-o

Not to mention Sega has lied before about the amount of cuts and/or reasons for cutting games. If I was a gambling man, I'd bet money Sega will cut more than Answer x Answer from Yakuza 4.[/QUOTE]

SERIOUSLY?! You supposedly like this series but you care that much about a JAPANESE trivia show that you wont even buy the game because they confirmed to cut that one small aspect out of a huge game? You dont really like Yakuza then. Cant be possible...

[quote name='takotchi']THAT MEANS IT'S CUT. #-o

Not to mention Sega has lied before about the amount of cuts and/or reasons for cutting games. If I was a gambling man, I'd bet money Sega will cut more than Answer x Answer from Yakuza 4.[/QUOTE]

:fridge:

yakuza 4 is NOT cut. the "answer x answer" trivia game is related to the kanji (japanese alphabet) and there's NO way to translate it. that's such an insignificant part of the game. all of the mini games, side quests, and hostess clubs are still in the game. this is why we can't have nice things.

japanese specific culture is kept in the game, only the "answer x answer" trivia game is cut.

[quote name='wrencrest']SERIOUSLY?! You supposedly like this series but you care that much about a JAPANESE trivia show that you wont even buy the game because they confirmed to cut that one small aspect out of a huge game? You dont really like Yakuza then. Cant be possible...[/QUOTE]

Seriously. I don't buy cut games, period. If I was interested, I'd just hop on Play-Asia and get the full game.

I love how you put "Japanese" in all caps; the whole game is Japanese, derp.

[quote name='takotchi']Seriously. I don't buy cut games, period. If I was interested, I'd just hop on Play-Asia and get the full game.

I love how you put "Japanese" in all caps; the whole game is Japanese, derp.[/QUOTE]

I see what you mean here, but at the same time the Japanese language is easily translated in the subtitles of the game, but the trivia stuff has cultural implications that most westerners just won't get. Rather than weird them out completely, they probably decided it'd help sales to get rid of something people may deem too zany. I for one am simply happy to be getting this one stateside at all :applause:

[quote name='thedragon']I see what you mean here, but at the same time the Japanese language is easily translated in the subtitles of the game, but the trivia stuff has cultural implications that most westerners just won't get. Rather than weird them out completely, they probably decided it'd help sales to get rid of something people may deem too zany. I for one am simply happy to be getting this one stateside at all :applause:[/QUOTE]

I don't see how cutting out content helps sales at all. If you think Japanese stuff is "zany", then don't play Japanese games that take place in Japan and feature Japanese people. It doesn't make sense; you could just play GTA or something instead.

If they're too lazy to translate/sub something, they could at least leave it in so those of us with some ability can play with it without having to import.

[quote name='takotchi']I don't see how cutting out content helps sales at all. If you think Japanese stuff is "zany", then don't play Japanese games that take place in Japan and feature Japanese people. It doesn't make sense; you could just play GTA or something instead.

If they're too lazy to translate/sub something, they could at least leave it in so those of us with some ability can play with it without having to import.[/QUOTE]

thumbnail.aspx

[quote name='takotchi']I don't see how cutting out content helps sales at all.[/QUOTE]It allows Sega to cut enough corners in order to keep production costs low enough to justify bringing out the game over here. Is it an ideal approach? Not in the least, but at least U.S. gamers now have a chance to play the game in some form.

[quote name='takotchi']I don't see how cutting out content helps sales at all. If you think Japanese stuff is "zany", then don't play Japanese games that take place in Japan and feature Japanese people. It doesn't make sense; you could just play GTA or something instead.

If they're too lazy to translate/sub something, they could at least leave it in so those of us with some ability can play with it without having to import.[/QUOTE]

It had nothing to do with laziness. The translation/development team had a deadline, just like any other job and business. It was either meet the deadline or cancel the release of the game. Developers don't get to be picky when the games are not known to be popular and guarantee profit. Yakuza 3 sold enough to warrant giving them time to do a full fledge port of 4.

Leaving the not translated part in the game is just not logical. The regular consumer would be confused. This is an English speaking country and the game was released here with us in mind, not for JP fluent people, they been had their copy a long time ago.

Tough luck that not everything could come to NA. Blame the nature of the business. Refusing to buy the game is not going to change anything. I would of liked to see the entire game translated but just be glad it came out at all and the sequel is getting a better treatment.

i don't care about the trivial game but i don't think it was due to any budget or "deadline." sega is a pretty big company.

it's more they think americans wouldn't get it and so why even bother to translate it? i disagree with any cuts but it a minor thing so i don't really care.

Yakuza 3 is an amazing game with an enthralling story and there's such a vast amount of stuff to do in the game, you won't notice any "cuts." It's just nerds complaining because they can.

I'd be pissed if they kept in the trivia game. I want to play a Yakuza game, not become Japanese.

From what Ruby is saying on gaf, Answer X Answer will probably be the only cut. Which isn't that big of a deal. I'm just glad the Smile Burger Hostess are gone.

I bought a copy last night. I hopped on with the intent to grab it, and found a 4GB Slim 360 for dirt cheap, but still spending that much made me kinda not want to get Yakuza.
I still had my LiveSocial credit though, so I got it.
Loved Yakuza 1 (what I played of it, never beat it though) and loved the Y3 demo, so this was a no-brainer. I need to track down a copy of the second one though. I saw someone mention that there is a recap, but what's the point of ever playing the second one if I watch this recap? I want to run through the others...

[quote name='CaoPi'](stupid lolcat picture)[/QUOTE]

No. People deserve to know about the significant cuts made to this game.

[quote name='Vegan']Did someone just say "weeaboo?" 'Cause I think I just heard someone say "weeaboo."[/QUOTE]

Ah, standard troll response whenever anybody points out something cut or censored from a Japanese game.

[quote name='Barnolde']Yakuza 3 is an amazing game with an enthralling story and there's such a vast amount of stuff to do in the game, you won't notice any "cuts." It's just nerds complaining because they can.[/QUOTE]

"Cuts" should not be in scare quotes. They are quite real and significant. A list, paraphrased from an Amazon review: Theme song, hostess clubs, mahjong, shogi, massage parlor, Answer x Answer, magazines, 26/126 sub-missions. There are probably more; that just gives you an idea of how much was removed.

[quote name='n1c0']From what Ruby is saying on gaf, Answer X Answer will probably be the only cut. Which isn't that big of a deal. I'm just glad the Smile Burger Hostess are gone.[/QUOTE]

Rubyeclipse says a lot. S/he also said they didn't remove characters from Valkyria Chronicles II before backpedaling and finally, after many months, admitting that Sega apparently didn't have the licensing... to their own characters.

Also note the "probably".

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I'd be pissed if they kept in the trivia game. I want to play a Yakuza game, not become Japanese.[/QUOTE]

Living up to your tag, I see. You'd be mad if they DIDN'T cut out content?

Not to mention, I don't know why you're playing a game where you play as a Japanese character if you don't want to "become" Japanese. That's kind of the point of most games...

[quote name='miriamleo']Is this a good sale price for this game, or should I wait longer?[/QUOTE]

At this point you'd be pressing your luck to wait much longer. I don't recall having seen Yakuza 1 & 2 drop that far below $20 in most places.

In my opinion, it's the best game for the PS3.

It has more replay value than any game I can think of, a pretty lengthy story, and a ton to do! The story, itself, is incredible in my opinion. It was a must-have at release and I am very happy I bought it.

Knowing that Yakuza 4 comes out soon is even more a reason to get this now.

[quote name='takotchi']Seriously. I don't buy cut games, period. If I was interested, I'd just hop on Play-Asia and get the full game.

I love how you put "Japanese" in all caps; the whole game is Japanese, derp.[/QUOTE]
The game is made by a Japanese company and stars Japanese characters, but it is being translated for an AMERICAN or western audience. Most of us don't and wont ever know JAPANESE culture in depth enough to answer trivia about it. I just want to play a beat em up with GTA like missions and a multitude of mini games.

[quote name='takotchi']
Not to mention, I don't know why you're playing a game where you play as a Japanese character if you don't want to "become" Japanese. That's kind of the point of most games...[/QUOTE]
Most people actually know the difference between a game and real life. I dont play games to become the character. Its a GAME. I want to be entertained. I dont want to BE the character. And yes, I capitalized a lot of words just for you. :)

[quote name='Thrinn']At this point you'd be pressing your luck to wait much longer. I don't recall having seen Yakuza 1 & 2 drop that far below $20 in most places.[/QUOTE]

Well if you don't mind used and are up for a hunt, GS lists part 1 at $8, and part 2 at $15..

[quote name='wrencrest']Most people actually know the difference between a game and real life. I dont play games to become the character. Its a GAME. I want to be entertained. I dont want to BE the character. And yes, I capitalized a lot of words just for you. :)[/QUOTE]

You are playing from the perspective of a Japanese person in this game. What you're saying doesn't make any sense. If you don't want to play as a Japanese person... well, you'd have to play some other game.

[quote name='token2k6']Well if you don't mind used and are up for a hunt, GS lists part 1 at $8, and part 2 at $15..[/QUOTE]

Good point. However just as a warning, Yakuza 3 has a DLC voucher code in the box, so you may want to buy a brand new copy of this one.

[quote name='takotchi']You are playing from the perspective of a Japanese person in this game. What you're saying doesn't make any sense. If you don't want to play as a Japanese person... well, you'd have to play some other game.[/QUOTE]
Oh boy...

I bit. I have a PS3 and I've only watched Blu Rays on it. I guess I should finally play something on it for once.

[quote name='jubeininja69']i don't care about the trivial game but i don't think it was due to any budget or "deadline." sega is a pretty big company.

it's more they think americans wouldn't get it and so why even bother to translate it? i disagree with any cuts but it a minor thing so i don't really care.[/QUOTE]

"Regarding Yakuza 3, we had a tight schedule to abide by for localizing and releasing Yakuza 3 in the west. Due to the limited time we were given we had to leave certain bits of the game out and we chose portions we felt didn't resonate with western culture i.e. a Japanese history quiz show and the concept of hostess clubs. We understand that this is not the optimum thing to do, but given the options of releasing the next chapter of a beloved game so that our fans can experience the story of Yakuza vs. not releasing it at all, we felt it was worth it to release it with 99% of the content intact. We made sure that the story in no way, shape or form changed from the lack of the quiz show or hostess clubs. You can still go into Cabarets and on dates with the ladies in the game and Kazuma still kicks major ass."

Source: http://kotaku.com/5479525/sega-yakuza-3-cuts-were-necessary-for-western-release-[update]

As for Yakuza 4 known cuts to far.

Quote:
"The one part of Yakuza 4 definitely dropped from the Western release is Answer X Answer, an interactive Japanese game show. Answer X Answer is comprised of 16-bit-style old-school graphics, much of its text rendered in custom-animated fonts. The labor involved in re-doing all of Answer's text in English would keep Yakuza 4 from making its spring 2011 release date."

Source: http://kotaku.com/5656944/sega-yakuza-4-cuts-will-be-minor

The game is great, and I'm glad a lot of people complained about the cut because Sega did hear about it, and probably will continue to hear about it. That being said complaining about cuts in Yakuza 3 at this point is pretty null. Join the Yakuza 4 complaining wagon if anything, so that next time they take longer to release Yakuza 5.

At this price and time, this game is worth getting for anyone.

bread's done
Back