wp7 wp8 windows phone windows 8 windows rt xbox live red stripe deals

• Please log in to reply
3664 replies to this topic

#961 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Remember 2009? That was cool!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:26 AM

What am I doing wrong on Glyder? I can't get anywhere near the challenge times in the first level. I mean, the Ice Caves challenge wants me to do it in 1:05 and my best is 1:23.

tylerh1701.png BZljDsc.jpg

Check out my CAG Blog!  NEW POST: My XBLA Backlog

#962 basis

basis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:08 AM

How dumb. It seems like a stupid reason to pull a game. The DLC is in no way required to play or complete it. It's really sad how important achievements are to some people. I like unlocking them, but I think they are one of the worst things to happen to gaming.

If i recall, MS policy was that any retail or purchased game should have achievements that are attainable by the gamer without the need of ingame purchases or game add-on. there has been violations in the pass, even by MS flagship titles, but none of those were pulled.

if you thought that ruling was strange, the reverse might raise more eyebrows - no game add-on maybe given away free if it contained achievements. i recall that's what happened with the Force Unleashed 2's Endor DLC

#963 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

Darn it guys, somebody PM me next time there's news and I haven't posted about it. ~ ~

How dumb. It seems like a stupid reason to pull a game. The DLC is in no way required to play or complete it. It's really sad how important achievements are to some people. I like unlocking them, but I think they are one of the worst things to happen to gaming.

No, trying to charge people for an Achievement is dumb. Considering that you dislike Achievements for some reason, I'd think you'd see a problem with charging for them too.

#964 Outinthedark

Outinthedark

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

Darn it guys, somebody PM me next time there's news and I haven't posted about it. ~ ~

Ha! I don't pay attention enough, YOU are the news source.

If i recall, MS policy was that any retail or purchased game should have achievements that are attainable by the gamer without the need of ingame purchases or game add-on. there has been violations in the pass, even by MS flagship titles, but none of those were pulled.

The only exception is paid XBL subscription or Microsoft published.

76561198014930049.png

#965 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

No, trying to charge people for an Achievement is dumb. Considering that you dislike Achievements for some reason, I'd think you'd see a problem with charging for them too.

I don't necessarily dislike achievements because they can be a good thing, but ever since their rise in popularity, people have placed a ridiculous amount of importance on them as if they somehow matter. I've actually seen quite a few people make purchasing decisions based on whether or not a game has achievements and if so, how difficult it is to unlock them. There are so many people who won't buy DLC simply because it doesn't have achievements, which is something I can't wrap my head around.

Also, I don't see why disliking achievements would make someone against charging for them. If anything, I think it would make someone supportive of it because one who dislikes achievements is likely to dislike those who are obsessed with them, and seeing them waste their money would be a good thing. Of course, bear in mind that it is nearly 6 AM here and I haven't slept yet, so maybe I misread that portion of your comment.

In any case, I have no problem with people being charged money for achievements. I don't care if I'm not able to earn all of them and if someone wants to throw their money away like that, then so be it. However, I don't even see this as being charged for achievements; I merely see it as being charged for additional content (which I at times take issue with but that's a different discussion). As far as I'm concerned, the achievements and their monetary requirements don't factor into the equation.

#966 BigPopov

BigPopov

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

What am I doing wrong on Glyder? I can't get anywhere near the challenge times in the first level. I mean, the Ice Caves challenge wants me to do it in 1:05 and my best is 1:23.

You have to wait to get better wings. Look into the guides for iOS they are the same locations and same game. It's called Glyder 2 on other platforms. I forget where exactly but there's a set of wings you can get really early on and will use for most of the game.

TBH, I really enjoyed the game. There's no real conflict, or bad guy, or impending doom. You just fly around collecting things.

#967 MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad

To the Moon!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

I don't necessarily dislike achievements because they can be a good thing, but ever since their rise in popularity, people have placed a ridiculous amount of importance on them as if they somehow matter. I've actually seen quite a few people make purchasing decisions based on whether or not a game has achievements and if so, how difficult it is to unlock them. There are so many people who won't buy DLC simply because it doesn't have achievements, which is something I can't wrap my head around.

Also, I don't see why disliking achievements would make someone against charging for them. If anything, I think it would make someone supportive of it because one who dislikes achievements is likely to dislike those who are obsessed with them, and seeing them waste their money would be a good thing. Of course, bear in mind that it is nearly 6 AM here and I haven't slept yet, so maybe I misread that portion of your comment.

In any case, I have no problem with people being charged money for achievements. I don't care if I'm not able to earn all of them and if someone wants to throw their money away like that, then so be it. However, I don't even see this as being charged for achievements; I merely see it as being charged for additional content (which I at times take issue with but that's a different discussion). As far as I'm concerned, the achievements and their monetary requirements don't factor into the equation.

Well, I am sure the title will be released again after this is fixed. Achievements, just like old school game unlocks, do bring something extra to the table. I do see this as being charged for one achievement to be unlocked as it is unattainable unless you spend the extra few dollars, and it isn't for extra content really. It is poor practice. Achievements, trophies, etc bring more replay value for myself, and I enjoy getting them just as I enjoyed unlocking skins, etc in old titles. To each his own really.

Sorry east, I didn't think about sending you a pm. I will next time. Promise.

You have to wait to get better wings. Look into the guides for iOS they are the same locations and same game. It's called Glyder 2 on other platforms. I forget where exactly but there's a set of wings you can get really early on and will use for most of the game.

TBH, I really enjoyed the game. There's no real conflict, or bad guy, or impending doom. You just fly around collecting things.

Yeah, better wings. I still suck at this game though. :D

#968 FlamedLiquid

FlamedLiquid

The Kersed Sowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

Nice to see more .99 games. Got Deer Hunter and Battlewagon. Can't stand Glyder. As for Monster Island....kinda sucks it was pulled.....but all it was was Fragger reskinned.Hoping Tetris and Sonic get a drop again soon. Bern thinking of getting them. Liked the demos.

My DVD Collection: http://fiamedliquid.dvdaf.com/
rm8ylt.gif

#969 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:00 AM

Yeah, better wings. I still suck at this game though. :D

K thanks, I'll check out the guides and see if I cant get better wings.

#970 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:26 AM

As for Monster Island....kinda sucks it was pulled.....but all it was was Fragger reskinned.

While Monster Island and Fragger are extremely similar, Monster Island's got way more levels and they're much better designed. The difficulty is a bit lower overall too, which I approve of. If you already have Fragger I definitely understand passing on Monster Island, but if you had neither, Monster Island is really a better game overall and will last longer to boot.

#971 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

Wordament is now Live!

#972 MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad

To the Moon!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

Wordament is now Live!

Dude, those achievements will not be attained by me. Rank 1, and place top 1o. Ouch :cry:

#973 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

It's only Rank 1 in a single game though... Play late at night or in Spanish and you may have a better chance.

Also...

Fruit Ninja drops to 99 cents!

#974 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

Nothing is live for me yet. Any word on DotW? Is Zombies on teh Phone $1.99? I'm assume the Fruit Ninja drop is permenant and not part of the DotW.

#975 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

Pretty awesome how these games are dropping to .99.

#976 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

Wordament = Goodbye productivity today!

#977 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

Is Fruit Ninja the DOTW or is that a permanent drop ?

MST3K.gif

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#978 MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad

To the Moon!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

Is Fruit Ninja the DOTW or is that a permanent drop ?

Another drop I think

#979 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

Hell yes. My wife is always taking my phone so she can play the Fruit Ninja demo, so she'll be stoked about this.

#980 mrcheapo11

mrcheapo11

Whoooooooooooooop!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:24 AM

Nothing is live for me yet. Any word on DotW? Is Zombies on teh Phone $1.99? I'm assume the Fruit Ninja drop is permenant and not part of the DotW.

Zombies seems to be the DOTW, so it looks like another purchase this week ;) Also, is Battlewagon even any good? I bought it and barely played it, as I am addicted to Deerhunter for now.

Posted Image

you know what? the reason we created GAMEstop in the first place was to serve GAMErs. if we didnt want to serve GAMErs we would have called it wal mart stop and sold baby items and food and a small selection of overpriced gaming software for high prices. and not thea bility to sell crappy old games no one wants anymore.

Hello all this is my frist post on GAG forums.

PM me for invites to Lockerz.com!

#981 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:58 AM

Zombies seems to be the DOTW, so it looks like another purchase this week ;) Also, is Battlewagon even any good? I bought it and barely played it, as I am addicted to Deerhunter for now.

Zombies is $1.99, sweet! Thanks for pointing it out.

Battlewagon is kind of weird, from what I've played of it. But it's $.99, so can't complain. I had a blast with Deer Hunter as well.

#982 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:05 AM

Bought Zombies on teh PHone. It's as awesome as I expected it to be so far.

Wordament is also fun as hell! Last few weeks has been great for WP owners!

#983 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

I won't pay more than a dollar for the Zombies game 'cause then the song would be a lie. Besides, I can't imagine playing it more than once or twice.

For the most part, I agree that things have been great for WP users. It's only a start, though...I really hope the userbase/popularity keeps increasing because there are so many great phone games out there that we don't get to play. I don't want to get a damn iPhone just so I can play Game Dev Story and AbraWordabra and other awesome-looking iOS games. My wife will most likely get an iPhone when it's time for her to upgrade, but I want them on MY phone.

#984 FlamedLiquid

FlamedLiquid

The Kersed Sowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

I won't pay more than a dollar for the Zombies game 'cause then the song would be a lie. Besides, I can't imagine playing it more than once or twice.

For the most part, I agree that things have been great for WP users. It's only a start, though...I really hope the userbase/popularity keeps increasing because there are so many great phone games out there that we don't get to play. I don't want to get a damn iPhone just so I can play Game Dev Story and AbraWordabra and other awesome-looking iOS games. My wife will most likely get an iPhone when it's time for her to upgrade, but I want them on MY phone.

I'll admit hemain reason I got a Windows phone was because of Xbox live support. I like my achievements....and I hope to see more stellar games on the windows phone. This last month has been great with Pirates, Civilazation, .99 games, and Wordament. Can't wait to see what's in store

rm8ylt.gif

#985 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

Agreed with everything above. I'm glad MS is finally getting things together. I'll buy almost anything at .99 to get some extra achievements.

#986 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

Wordament is fecking awesome, that is all.

MST3K.gif

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#987 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

Agreed with everything above. I'm glad MS is finally getting things together. I'll buy almost anything at .99 to get some extra achievements.

You've been silent so long, I thought you got rid of your Windows Phone or something. Welcome back. :)

Agreed with Benjamouth - Wordament is something I could probably play all day everyday.

#988 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

I'll admit hemain reason I got a Windows phone was because of Xbox live support. I like my achievements....and I hope to see more stellar games on the windows phone. This last month has been great with Pirates, Civilazation, .99 games, and Wordament. Can't wait to see what's in store

That's the main reason why I got a Windows Phone as well. Not so much for the achievements (though they are a nice little bonus) but because of the way you can link certain games like Kinectimals and Full House Poker. And it's great that I can track my gaming activity. But best of all, I can get ilomilo on the go, which makes me stupid happy.

I really enjoy the phone itself too, though. The interface is really simple and it does most things just the way I prefer. The calendar needs work and the chat-like messaging system sucks, but everything else is great and there are free apps available for everything else that I felt was lacking. I do wish I could sort apps into folders, but it's a minor complaint. Overall, I love my phone. It certainly works a lot better for me than Androids and iPhones.

It's nice to see that Microsoft is still able to do something right. Now if they would only fix the Xbox dashboard and release an OS that can live up to XP...

#989 FlamedLiquid

FlamedLiquid

The Kersed Sowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:48 AM

That's the main reason why I got a Windows Phone as well. Not so much for the achievements (though they are a nice little bonus) but because of the way you can link certain games like Kinectimals and Full House Poker. And it's great that I can track my gaming activity. But best of all, I can get ilomilo on the go, which makes me stupid happy.

I really enjoy the phone itself too, though. The interface is really simple and it does most things just the way I prefer. The calendar needs work and the chat-like messaging system sucks, but everything else is great and there are free apps available for everything else that I felt was lacking. I do wish I could sort apps into folders, but it's a minor complaint. Overall, I love my phone. It certainly works a lot better for me than Androids and iPhones.

It's nice to see that Microsoft is still able to do something right. Now if they would only fix the Xbox dashboard and release an OS that can live up to XP...

my 2 complaints with Windows phones:

Having to use Zune to add music.....ugghh

No Adobe Flash support (atlesdt not on my HTC Trophy, dunno about other models)

rm8ylt.gif

#990 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

Contract Killer coming to Windows Phone

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wp7, wp8, windows phone, windows 8, windows rt, xbox live, red stripe deals