#2131 nCogNeato

nCogNeato

"Mr Neato" if you're nasty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

Big article long in the making!

What's missing from Windows Phone 8? More than 20 Xbox games

Great read, Paul.

Just counted, I'm up to 87 Xbox Live for WP games, AlphaJax will make that 88 when it shows up. Haven't beaten 17 of them yet. Even my WP backlog is starting to pile up. Any of you guys have more than 100 games? (besides Paul, who I assume has almost all of them...)

I'm currently at 70 on my WP7 Samsung Focus (1st gen).

Since I planned on moving to WP8 in the next couple months, I've been chipping away at completing the games I've started since there's no way to transfer gamesaves (from what I can find).

Now it looks like I'm going to have to hold onto my WP7 even longer to complete the games I've bought that won't be compatible with WP8. With the little time I have to actually play, looks like I won't be moving to WP8 as soon as I hoped. :wall:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2132 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

Great read, Paul.

Now it looks like I'm going to have to hold onto my WP7 even longer to complete the games I've bought that won't be compatible with WP8. With the little time I have to actually play, looks like I won't be moving to WP8 as soon as I hoped. :wall:

Thanks man!

Getting a WP8 phone while keeping your old one is also an option. That's what I've done, as I have several games left to beat and WP7-specific games keep coming along.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#2133 Derextreme

Derextreme

Do you even Sony?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

I have a whopping 26 wp7 games, lol. I've kind of gotten away from my WP as of late though. Now that I'm back on the night shift it's easier for me to play my vita. For the next month though, I'll be back on the day shift and the WP.

sucks they're killing off dotw yet again. Even if it is only for a few weeks. How much time does it really take to get a deal together? Tbh, I'm not even sure I'm that impressed enough with what WP has to offer. With the lack of a lot of apps that ios and android have, and my gaming on the go interests, I might not even move up to wp8. They still have til Sept to change my mind though. Hopefully they get some developer support rolling in for games and apps.

405831.png               sig.gif

2014 completed games tab

#2134 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

I'm kind of glad the DOTW is taking a break, I'll be in the UK for 3 weeks in December and can't buy games there, at least I won't miss anything now.

MST3K.gif

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#2135 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

Cool Benjamouth! What's the occasion for the trip?

-Paul Acevedo

#2136 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

Cool Benjamouth! What's the occasion for the trip?

I always go back to the UK for the holidays so I can visit the family.

MST3K.gif

#2137 SansGluten

SansGluten

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

Looks like only some of the games from the Black Friday deal are still on sale... Cracking Sands, Carcassonne and Mush seem to be on sale still.
geronimobunga man!!!

#2138 MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad

To the Moon!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

Thanks man!

Getting a WP8 phone while keeping your old one is also an option. That's what I've done, as I have several games left to beat and WP7-specific games keep coming along.

Paul, is it possible to link two phones to your GT to unlock achievements?

You are able to pick up your WP8 play a game, get achievement, and immediatly pick up and play your wp7 phone and get an achievement?
Curious because I was going to do the same thing.

#2139 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

Paul, is it possible to link two phones to your GT to unlock achievements?

You are able to pick up your WP8 play a game, get achievement, and immediatly pick up and play your wp7 phone and get an achievement?
Curious because I was going to do the same thing.

Yes, that's correct. You need to set your old device to airplane mode and then enable Wi-Fi and it will work fine. You could have 10 handsets with your Gamertag and there'd be no problem.

Benjamouth, do you actually come from the UK? I might have to start imagining your comments with a British accent! I don't see why you couldn't buy games over Wi-Fi using your credit card though, unless you just prefer not to do that.

-Paul Acevedo

#2140 MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad

To the Moon!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

Yes, that's correct. You need to set your old device to airplane mode and then enable Wi-Fi and it will work fine. You could have 10 handsets with your Gamertag and there'd be no problem.

Benjamouth, do you actually come from the UK? I might have to start imagining your comments with a British accent! I don't see why you couldn't buy games over Wi-Fi using your credit card though, unless you just prefer not to do that.

Awesome. THank you good sir. :)

#2141 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:18 AM

So I take it the guys who work on the Xbox Live on Windows Phone portfolio just had the week off or something...

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#2142 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

I do indeed (been in the states about 7 years now), and I do sport a British accent:)

Yeah I could do that, but I'm nervous about associating my credit card with my phone because I don't want to end up with a credit card associated with my Live account, especially after that FIFA 12 debacle.

Probably sounds a bit paranoid but there it is.

MST3K.gif

#2143 ProfessorStotch

ProfessorStotch

The Undisputed CAG Champion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

I do indeed (been in the states about 7 years now), and I do sport a British accent:)

Yeah I could do that, but I'm nervous about associating my credit card with my phone because I don't want to end up with a credit card associated with my Live account, especially after that FIFA 12 debacle.

Probably sounds a bit paranoid but there it is.

As someone who's had their Live account broken into twice due to the FIFA debacle, I can assure you that you're not being paranoid. Twice I had a sum of 4000+ MS points sucked away and spent on FIFA Ultimate Teams. And despite me never even playing the game, MS refused to refund me back and denied that there was any suspicious activity. They're lucky they make the only phone OS I actually like, or I'd cut ties with them altogether.

ProfessorStotch.png
Check out Captain's Crap Filled Store

Check out the shares I have for sale

My real name is Catfish!

#2144 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

Any word why we never got Alphajax?

They better not just make that the game for next Wednesday and then give us nothing else.

seanr1221.png

#2145 ProfessorStotch

ProfessorStotch

The Undisputed CAG Champion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

I can't get over hoe awesome the Lumia 920 is. Coming from the POS LG Quantum, this thing is amazing. Highly recommended for anyone in the market for a new Windows Phone.

ProfessorStotch.png
Check out Captain's Crap Filled Store

Check out the shares I have for sale

My real name is Catfish!

#2146 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

Any word why we never got Alphajax?

They better not just make that the game for next Wednesday and then give us nothing else.

I asked the devs to email me but they never did. :(

-Paul Acevedo

#2147 LegendaryEnigma

LegendaryEnigma

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

As someone who's had their Live account broken into twice due to the FIFA debacle, I can assure you that you're not being paranoid. Twice I had a sum of 4000+ MS points sucked away and spent on FIFA Ultimate Teams. And despite me never even playing the game, MS refused to refund me back and denied that there was any suspicious activity. They're lucky they make the only phone OS I actually like, or I'd cut ties with them altogether.

MS refunded my money?

#2148 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

Most people I know who have had their accounts cracked were met with success when dealing with Microsoft, but it doesn't always work out for everyone.

#2149 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

I asked the devs to email me but they never did. :(

Dang :(

If you have time, you should reach out to Halfbrick. I'm curious when Jetpack Joyride is coming, especially since its already on Windows 8.

Also ask them what ever happened to Age of Zombies. :bouncy:

seanr1221.png

#2150 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

Dang :(

If you have time, you should reach out to Halfbrick. I'm curious when Jetpack Joyride is coming, especially since its already on Windows 8.

Also ask them what ever happened to Age of Zombies. :bouncy:

Jetpack Joyride is one of my favorite all time mobile games. Shame it's never made it to WP, and kind of weird since Halfbrick seems to have a pretty good relationship with MS.

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#2151 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

Its announced for WP8.

I agree on it being good. I've put around 35 hours into the IOS version.

seanr1221.png

#2152 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:37 AM

AlphaJax is out, 6 days late/1 day early

Have 2 games going at the moment, neither of the other guys have actually played a word yet. Looks like a lot of the achievements can be earned locally in the "Pass & Play" mode so that is good.

Also, as far as I can tell, the game doesn't penalize for bad words, it just lets you play another word. Just like Wordfeud, I won't be playing too much of this because of that. All my friends I played Wordfeud with seem to think it's okay to spam words until something works, instead of, ya know, playing words they actually know.

Edited by tylerh1701, 05 December 2012 - 03:42 AM.

#2153 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

At WPCentral we're starting a push to make article headlines more interesting in order to catch more readers... They even want this to extend to reviews. So instead of "Wordament Review" or "Wordament: Xbox Windows Phone Review", I'd have to use headlines like "Wordament will put your word finding skills to the test."

Do you guys think this is a good idea? If not, could you give me some good reasons why? I'd like to make a case that it's bad and will make reviews harder to discern from other content, but I'm having trouble putting it into words.

Also, send me AlphaJax invites!

-Paul Acevedo

#2154 MetalMegaGio

MetalMegaGio

MetalMegaCAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

If anyone wants to add me in AlphaJax add my GT:MetalMegaGio.

25jecz5.jpg Sig.Made by Kyuby

Check Out My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube....er/MetalMegaGio

Check Out My Trade List!

#2155 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

My wife and I are having a lot of fun with AlphaJax so far. I didn't realize that it's a "by post" kind of game, which I really like. It's just nice not having to worry about time constraints and focusing all of my attention on a word game when I'm trying to do other things. I'm playing, like, five different games at once completely at my leisure. Good stuff.

At WPCentral we're starting a push to make article headlines more interesting in order to catch more readers... They even want this to extend to reviews. So instead of "Wordament Review" or "Wordament: Xbox Windows Phone Review", I'd have to use headlines like "Wordament will put your word finding skills to the test."

Do you guys think this is a good idea? If not, could you give me some good reasons why? I'd like to make a case that it's bad and will make reviews harder to discern from other content, but I'm having trouble putting it into words.

Also, send me AlphaJax invites!

I can't really say I necessarily have any good reasons, but I don't like "catchy" titles simply because I think they sound dumb. A lot of Nintendolife readers praise their reviews for the pun-filled taglines they use, but it makes me groan. It feels so forced and uninspired. And do that with actual titles is even worse, especially for reviews. I totally agree that it keeps the titles from sounding out. In your example, it sounds like you're merely showcasing Wordament to bring it to people's attention; it doesn't imply a review at all.

I'm sure some kind of compromise can be made. Maybe label the article as a review, but include a subtitle. You know, something like "Wordament Review: Put your word finding skills to the test." I dunno, I guess I'm not much help, but at least you can say you have one vote for simple, to-the-point titles.

#2156 nCogNeato

nCogNeato

"Mr Neato" if you're nasty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

Does anyone know if AlphaJax uses cloud saving like Wordament?

While were at it, does anyone have a complete list of Xbox LIVE WP games that use cloud saving? I know there can't be many. I'm just trying to prioritize my backlog before upgrading to WP8.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2157 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

I'm sure some kind of compromise can be made. Maybe label the article as a review, but include a subtitle. You know, something like "Wordament Review: Put your word finding skills to the test."

ZombieToast took the words right out of my mouth. Subtitles are the way to go. Basically every video game review website I read uses subtitles, either in the actual title or in the subheader.

I definitely think the word "review" needs to be in the title. For example, I like Gamespot's reviews but I hate pretty much everything else that site does, with their constant streams and videos and lack of actual "news" coverage. So I just look for the articles with the words "review" in them. Not saying I do that at WP Central, but there definitely could be readers that do.

#2158 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

Thanks guys! Looks like the subtitle think worked out. Today's review:

Jet Set Go Review: Leaving on a jet plane...

Tyler, the people you're complaining about use solver websites, which is a form of cheating. Guessing isn't bad in and of itself IMO because you can only guess short words that have relatively low impact on the game. But using a solver, you can build crazy long words that nobody could ever think of on their own. I've had 2 'friends' do this to me already since the game went live, and I want to strike them.

-Paul Acevedo

#2159 MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad

To the Moon!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

AlphaJax is out, 6 days late/1 day early

Have 2 games going at the moment, neither of the other guys have actually played a word yet. Looks like a lot of the achievements can be earned locally in the "Pass & Play" mode so that is good.

Also, as far as I can tell, the game doesn't penalize for bad words, it just lets you play another word. Just like Wordfeud, I won't be playing too much of this because of that. All my friends I played Wordfeud with seem to think it's okay to spam words until something works, instead of, ya know, playing words they actually know.

Hey now, I play and utilize words I know with wordfeud. I love wordfeud personally. Play that game with my family. My wife loss all her enthusiasm playing with me because I win every time. I should have probably allowed her to chalk up a few wins....

I have to admit I cheated once playing wordament in spanish in my attempt towards an achievement, but decided against doing it again. I did not like cheating others and my attempt failed anyway.

I have yet to play alpha Jax. Reading comments about the game made me lose all my enthusiasm to play. Plus my phone is starting to behave like a teenager and won't do what I want it to do. It would have been perfect if I could transfer my game data so I can try a hard reset.

Edited by MastrMeatWad, 05 December 2012 - 04:59 PM.

#2160 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

Thanks guys! Looks like the subtitle think worked out. Today's review:

Jet Set Go Review: Leaving on a jet plane...

Tyler, the people you're complaining about use solver websites, which is a form of cheating. Guessing isn't bad in and of itself IMO because you can only guess short words that have relatively low impact on the game. But using a solver, you can build crazy long words that nobody could ever think of on their own. I've had 2 'friends' do this to me already since the game went live, and I want to strike them.

I hate people who cheat too. But I'm talking something like the word LOOK, where the K is two spaces away from a triple word score. Some people I've played with will play things like ZAK, ZEK, ZIK, ZOK, ZUK, JAK, JEK, JIK, JOK, JUK until the game accepts one of those stupid ass words and gives the person like 60 points. That's what frustrates me.

Hey now, I play and utilize words I know with wordfeud.
I have to admit I cheated once playing wordament while playing spanish in my attempt towards an achievement.

I have yet to play alpha Jax. Reading comments about the game made me lose all my enthusiasm to play. Plus my phone is starting to behave like a teenager and won't do what I want it to do. It would have been perfect if I could transfer my game data so I can try a hard reset.

Haha yeah, I don't recall having any problems playing against you. Except that I lost a lot, that sucked. ;)