CAGcast #238: Compromised

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:29 AM

PSN security breach, more love for Portal 2 and Mortal Kombat, and much more await you in this week's show. Submit questions or topics for next week's show via CAGbag or Twitter.

Download - 80 minutes, 48MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):
Spoiler

Edited by CheapyD, 28 April 2011 - 12:00 PM.

#2 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:02 PM

First.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#3 FishyJoe

FishyJoe

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:12 PM

Awww yea, hope you guys talk about games, inn-laws and poop this week!

#4 jax2001

jax2001

Finish AC:B

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:14 PM

much needed

Posted Image

#5 meager

meager

mooseknuckle?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:22 PM

All podcasts should open with Henry Mancini music. Make it so.

Shipwreck, would I like the new Motorstorm if I didn't care much for Split/Second? In that game you also had to play the track before you really had much idea where the explosions would happen, or else you'd waste an attack because your opponents were on the wrong side of the street. I suppose that's why the made you play the same tracks so many times. Is there more level variety in Motorstorm? And do you still do laps or just straight shots through collapsing cities?

Oh, and "Abutment" ... wow, that's really an engineer's word. You don't hear that word used correctly much in the Wal-Mart crowd.

I was quite impressed with Cheapy's news radio appearance. I was waiting for one of his replies to be "How the Hell would I know?" But he really came off sounding quite knowledgeable. More so than he usually is on the CAGcast. When I worked in radio, we'd always get sent the guys with "radio voices" that had no knowledge outside of what was written on their press release, and if asked a different question would just blatantly ignore it and instead throw out some PR gibberish. Cheapy was much more subtle about it. Was he prepped on those specific questions?

#6 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:35 PM

Shipwreck, would I like the new Motorstorm if I didn't care much for Split/Second? In that game you also had to play the track before you really had much idea where the explosions would happen, or else you'd waste an attack because your opponents were on the wrong side of the street. I suppose that's why the made you play the same tracks so many times. Is there more level variety in Motorstorm? And do you still do laps or just straight shots through collapsing cities?

You generally still do laps around the courses and on the last lap something big usually falls down and changes the course. You know, like in just about every game of this type. From time to time, you have to race from point A to point B in a set amount of time. As for the level variety, I need to play more to get a feel for how often you return to the same tracks. So far, you go back to them a couple times, but they are slightly different and they try to add variety by sticking you in a different vehicle type. Maybe my opinion will change, but so far I've found the game nothing but underwhelming.
Posted Image

#7 NegativeZero

NegativeZero

CAGtastic!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:47 PM

dammit man, could've used this on the train, you guys gotta post podcast at least an hour earlier. get off your asses. thanks btw

http://zerofigures.wordpress.com

"He should have those magic b!tches all over his jock" - CheapyD, CagCast #168

#8 TheToiletDuck

TheToiletDuck

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:52 PM

Hey Cheapy, the Itunes version is only 23mins. It cuts off. Might want to re-upload it.

Also, thanks for making a show guys. You all get a beer from me if you come to Scotland.

Update 2: It seems the version here on the site is messed up too.

#9 yatts13

yatts13

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:57 PM

Big Lots, has Mafia II and Just Cause 2 (360) for $20.88 retail indefinately. How do I post price submissions to the site?

I'm out.

#10 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:21 PM

First.

HAHA, please do this for every CAGcast thread.

Cheapy, Telltale is working on Law & Order: Los Angeles. That was what you were trying to remember.

Edited by LiK, 28 April 2011 - 01:58 PM.

63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#11 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:31 PM

Just downloaded! Gonna listen to it tomorrow during my drive from Columbus to Cleveland.

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#12 collipop

collipop

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:39 PM

Just as it gets to the ps3 hacking discussion the show cuts off! I think you need to reupload.
Posted Image

#13 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:44 PM

Just as it gets to the ps3 hacking discussion the show cuts off! I think you need to reupload.

It worked fine for me, try deleting your file and re-downloading. May be a Libsyn issue.

#14 ShaneSG

ShaneSG

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:53 PM

Show is only 24 minutes long on both mp3 and itunes for me as well. I tried redownloading it.

#15 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:05 PM

Wombat, I am totally with you about the push mower. I have a smallish lawn and using that type of mower is easy and quick.

No fucking around with gas and oil, no collecting the cut grass, virtually no noise (when you are concerned about waking up a baby this can be a bid deal), plus a little exercise.

additionally gas mowers are terrible for the environment- One gas mower running for an hour emits the same amount of pollutants as eight new cars driving 55 mph for the same amount of time

#16 liquidcross

liquidcross

Text and Violence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:19 PM

I still don't understand why you guys have so much trouble downloading stuff on PSN. I've got a run-of-the-mill DSL connection, and it never takes half an hour to download firmware or title updates. They go pretty quick.

#17 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:30 PM

I still don't understand why you guys have so much trouble downloading stuff on PSN. I've got a run-of-the-mill DSL connection, and it never takes half an hour to download firmware or title updates. They go pretty quick.

A Half an Hour is too long, it should take 1-5 minutes.

Edit: Oh I read that wrong, then why does it take me so long?

Edited by Wombat, 28 April 2011 - 02:35 PM.
I can't read

#18 Rouzhokuu

Rouzhokuu

Bio-Shocked!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:31 PM

Agreed. I've never had it take more than 5 to complete a firmware update, and downloads have always been extremely fast.

But, I guess if you couldn't care less about the PS3, you're not going to put forth much effort to properly configure your connection settings, and just blame your poor download speeds on 'PSN sucking.'

Ahh well.
"Don't be a slowpoke, Mister Bubbles. Angels don't wait for slowpokes."
Take a look at my trade-list, eh?

#19 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:42 PM

Come over and configure my PS3 for me. Is there a setting that I can click to have it download as fast as my Wii, 360, iMac, MacBook, iPad, iPhone, Kindle, Apple TV, or any other Wifi device in my house? There's obviously a disconnect somewhere as the PS3 is the only device in my house that is noticeably slower than everything else.
Posted Image

#20 liquidcross

liquidcross

Text and Violence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:15 PM

Come over and configure my PS3 for me. Is there a setting that I can click to have it download as fast as my Wii, 360, iMac, MacBook, iPad, iPhone, Kindle, Apple TV, or any other Wifi device in my house? There's obviously a disconnect somewhere as the PS3 is the only device in my house that is noticeably slower than everything else.

Your sarcasm aside, that definitely sounds like a configuration error. Did you go through it manually, or just use the auto/default settings?

#21 ufskenney

ufskenney

I got nuthin'

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:25 PM

I agree there is probably something wrong with how the PS3 works on wifi. I have tried my PS3 both wired and wifi (currently wired) and it seems to be much faster when it is wired. I think it is a pretty wide spread issue since it is pretty easy to people mentioning it on the internet.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked - What you say to an Irishman when he buys you a beer.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 TehMuff1nM4n

TehMuff1nM4n

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:33 PM

Your sarcasm aside, that definitely sounds like a configuration error. Did you go through it manually, or just use the auto/default settings?

He's saying that you shouldn't have to go through so much work and tinker with all your settings just to get regular download speeds. I connect my Xbox and laptops to the internet automatically and they work just fine. PSN is way too slow and most don't have the time to tinker with settings.

#23 collipop

collipop

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:38 PM

Just a heads up to anyone in UK as it seems lybsyn UK servers are only giving a partial file. If you come to cheap ass gamer using a proxy you can download the complete file.

Just tried and it worked for me.
Posted Image

#24 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:47 PM

You hurt its feelings and now it's trying to get back at you. :)

Joking aside, downloads on my PS3 and 360 have always been the same speed, both connecting to my Wireless G FIOS router.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#25 testudo

testudo

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:58 PM

Great C-A-G cast. Thank you for the answer my compensation PSN question. I am going with Free Transvestite (my last choice) as the best PR bounce back.

Edited by testudo, 28 April 2011 - 06:41 PM.
bad gramaraamer-ding-dong

"I'm saving your future for a rainy day."
Check out the best gaming website in/for the world: sustainablegamers.tumblr.com

#26 eataburger

eataburger

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:05 PM

Good episode!

It's funny you guys talked about how bad Best Buy is. Living in Canada, I don't get to the US very often, but the other week I went to a US Best Buy for the first time in years and my impression matched yours.

I always assumed that the US ones would be better than in Canada, but they had almost nothing video-game wise in the store, and the prices were terrible.

In Canada (Toronto anyways) the Best Buys and Future Shops are pretty good for games - they've even started game trading.

#27 erniemac

erniemac

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:17 PM

Wombat, I can't believe you bought a push mower.

Did you look at any electric mowers?

Shipwreck, don't people die from skin cancer? Nice to hear that you're not bothered too much by this.

Edited by erniemac, 28 April 2011 - 04:29 PM.

#28 Nabeshin186

Nabeshin186

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:32 PM

Great Podcast as usual guys. I'm surprised to see no one saying something dumb like "Well of course Cheapy plugs the 360 in a Playstation interview". Usually the feedback from your podcast (at least the ones you select to read) has narrow minded thinking like that.

Anyway my question for you guys would be how long do you think this whole indent will be forgotten and people start praising the PS3 again? The internet is a fickled bunch where they can say F Sony one day and then say it's the BEST COMPANY EVAARRR the next.

#29 jumpiestranger2

jumpiestranger2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:52 PM

Whats Happenin!

#30 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:00 PM

What's the over/under on Wombat dumping the non-motorized lawn mower by next summer? Sht doesn't matter. Put me down for a 20 spot. .

Disappointed there was no Wii2 hate. I hope you are saving it for next week. Or was that the week before? MIssed the last show.

edit: Oh just hearing it now. There it is. Hate on last week's show. Love it. Oh yes lots of good hate. ;)

I think Nintendo doesn't care much about 3rd parties in terms of getting the multi-platform stuff. They want 3rd parties to take their new tech and do something creative with it. They don't want to become basically a commodity box that plays the same games as all the others.

Anyway Nintendo's direction with Wii2 is the same as with the Wii. Do something different. Creative. Disruptive. Not just focused on graphics. The touchscreen controllers and possibilities for private vs public screen gameplay and reducing screen clutter like the DS can do and providing software programmable buttons and these rumored OnLive like streaming possibilities to the controller etc scream the same sort of path the Wii took. Using the screen for drawing in games? Right up Nintendo's alley.

The only shocking thing at least to me is the wiimote/nunchuk appear to have had a short life. I thought they would have built on it and improved it. But at the same time not shocked they'd try to do something that provides alot of new gameplay possibilities for their franchises. Let's not forget that the PS3 in Japan with Move sort of boxes them in a corner in terms of improving the wiimote. Sony improved it quite a bit and where is Nintendo going to go there? In America MS comes out with Kinect and you don't need a controller. Both now routinely outsell the Wii in those markets.

So in a way makes sense they are going to branch out again into a new direction. Competition has entered the "motion control" market. Nintendo was first in. Grabbed the lion's share of the profits. Now onto the next new market. Left behind are Sony and MS to eat the crumbs. Cheapie says Nintendo doesn't want to compete with those guys directly. Well guess what? Both have powerful consoles and now with motion control. So exit stage left.

There's lots of cool sht on the 3ds. Not the games, but the stuff built-in. AT least for my 10 year old. He put a bunch of music on there. Records voices and manipulates them with my other kid. Takes pictures. 3d ones too. There is FAce Raiders. The STreet Pass stuff. We went to Ikea a few weekends ago and he surprisingly met 3 new Miis. There is the pedometer coin stuff. There's the built-in AR stuff as well.

I'm actually kind of amazed at all that is packed in there. But we never upgraded my kid to the Dsi either. When the update hits and the store and Netflix and browser hit etc. It's going to be a nice little machine at least for its target market. As an adult I'm not going to get one to carry around or anything. But for my kids? They love the thing. I'd only get another to play against them in the house.

Edited by trip1eX, 29 April 2011 - 03:45 PM.