Star Wars: The Old Republic - Out now!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
782 replies to this topic

#211 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:48 PM

OK, you're the second person I've heard say this but I can't find any source. They're going to have a shitstorm on their hands if they think this will fly.

Ah, I think I see it now. Their website is down for maintenance so much it's hard to get anything official from them.
Well, they'll have to handle the backlash from paying customers who can't play because it's in the mail. If you think about it, there's no possible way for people ordering online to not have downtime even with RDD. At least give people the entire day to redeem FFS. Very dumb move; hope this isn't an indication of things to come. . .

http://www.swtor.com...rder/faq#305186

They have a major shitstorm going on in the forums about it, but they seem to be sticking with their line of "Fuck you if you preordered online.".

That being said, supposedly some europeans are getting their CE's already. Bioware has said they get their copies on the 15th, so we might get ours 7 days early as well. I really, really hope so...

http://forum.gamebre...pic.php?id=3247
Posted Image

#212 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:54 AM

That would be awesome if I get my CE that early, I really wanna check out the extra stuff. If BioWare doesn't back down and give us a grace period then that's a really poor decision and says that they don't care all that much about people that pre-ordered.

#213 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:47 AM

Anyone check out that guide? I was thinking about getting it, but all that info will prob be on the net in a few days anyway.

#214 Gannikus

Gannikus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:56 PM

Anyone know how long it'll take for game cards to come out?
Buying 2.5 Sata HDD and Amazon Gift Cards!
Posted Image

#215 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:51 PM

Anyone know how long it'll take for game cards to come out?

You mean these?

www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Republic-60-Day-Pre-paid-Pc/dp/B0067G55XS/

Should be about the same time as release.

#216 strikeratt

strikeratt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

So honestly ... from an MMO perspective and not a Star Wars Fan perspective. How was the beta for this game? Does it feel like the game will actually hold up? Or free to play in the up comming years.

I'm going to try to pre order this still if I can somewhere ... but I need an unbiased opinion I think first. Those who played WoW and really enjoyed it type of opinion. Even if you compare it to just like Vanilla WoW.
Asus P5W DH Deluxe / Core 2 Duo e6550 with Big Typhoon Cooler / Sapphire 3870 2x (the 2 in one) / 2x 2GB OCZ Reaper Memory / Sound Blaster Xtreme Gamer / 20x Lite-ON DVD Burner with Lightscribe / 400GB WD with Windows XP Home / 500 GB WD Green Power with Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit / 700w OCZ PSU / Razer Diamondback Mouse / Zboard

Posted Image

#217 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:56 PM

http://www.swtor.com...rder/faq#305186

They have a major shitstorm going on in the forums about it, but they seem to be sticking with their line of "Fuck you if you preordered online.".

That being said, supposedly some europeans are getting their CE's already. Bioware has said they get their copies on the 15th, so we might get ours 7 days early as well. I really, really hope so...

http://forum.gamebre...pic.php?id=3247

Word is Amazon WILL be getting them on the 15th, 17th and 19th but is refusing shipment until the 20th. That's all hearsay, but I can understand the position it puts Amazon in. Generally, breaking street date is a huge no-no so it's still on BioWare to set this right.

And yeah, the general forums are lit up with threads regarding grace period and WTF about the sudden change in early access start dates. I just don't understand why these million dollar MMOs always manage to Fuck up release, which is probably the most critical phase of development.

#218 Gannikus

Gannikus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:28 PM

Do you guys think there'll be a bunch of game cards on the CAG trading forums? I hope there'll be a lot lol
Posted Image

#219 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

Honestly I doubt you'll see them for some time unless someone bought time and decided to stop playing without using cards. Doubtful we'll see any real deals on time cards for some time as well depending on the success of the game too. Only other way is probably people going with the five finger discount option and then re-selling.

#220 Gannikus

Gannikus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:36 PM

Honestly I doubt you'll see them for some time unless someone bought time and decided to stop playing without using cards. Doubtful we'll see any real deals on time cards for some time as well depending on the success of the game too. Only other way is probably people going with the five finger discount option and then re-selling.

You mean stealing? I thought it's the stores who put the money on them 0_0 like how gift cards are pretty much empty unless you go through the register.
Posted Image

#221 Big St3ph3n

Big St3ph3n

Strange MUSIC!!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

theres still ways. An employee can activiate the card. Ive seen and heard walmart employees do this
Posted Image
NINTENDO ID: Bigst3ph3n
Part of THE MEDIOCRE NATION: THE MEDIOCRE SHOW
Twitter: @bigst3ph3n -- RIP 2pac, BIG and Sega Dreamcast.

#222 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:57 PM

So honestly ... from an MMO perspective and not a Star Wars Fan perspective. How was the beta for this game? Does it feel like the game will actually hold up? Or free to play in the up comming years.

I'm going to try to pre order this still if I can somewhere ... but I need an unbiased opinion I think first. Those who played WoW and really enjoyed it type of opinion. Even if you compare it to just like Vanilla WoW.

Speaking as a former WoW player, I think the game is AMAZING and is gonna dominate the MMO market, although it might be a few years until it surpasses WoW.

It does feel a lot like WoW, as people have said, but the story is a huge part of this game. I don't skip quest dialogue, like I did a lot in WoW, and so the game feels more interesting than the "go to places and kill boars for tusks" that WoW had me do, even though there are quests of that sort. (Most of them are instantly given to you while you do the more interesting quests though. No getting or turning in, just kill 20 space boars and you get extra xp.) I love the graphics (Mind you, I really like WoW's graphics as well), and the original music very much feels like Star Wars (Some of it actually is from the movies.)

I like that it doesn't some of the later additions to WoW, like the Dungeon Finder, that put grouping on autopilot, but I don't like that they decided not to have dual specs. I kinda like the freedom to switch to a DPS spec when I'm soloing, while still retaining group viability with healing or tanking.

At any rate, this game is gonna be hugely successful and likely will be like WoW, not going free-to-play for a long, long time. Hopefully, not until I stop playing it.
Posted Image

#223 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:23 PM

Dual specs are coming, just not at launch. I'm pretty sure they already confirmed this. However with their track record of changing what they say, I couldn't say that with 100% certainty even if I saw it in their news feed.

#224 Lawyers Guns N Money

Lawyers Guns N Money

Nobody from Nowhere

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:40 PM

Speaking as a former WoW player, I think the game is AMAZING and is gonna dominate the MMO market, although it might be a few years until it surpasses WoW.

It does feel a lot like WoW, as people have said, but the story is a huge part of this game. I don't skip quest dialogue, like I did a lot in WoW, and so the game feels more interesting than the "go to places and kill boars for tusks" that WoW had me do, even though there are quests of that sort. (Most of them are instantly given to you while you do the more interesting quests though. No getting or turning in, just kill 20 space boars and you get extra xp.) I love the graphics (Mind you, I really like WoW's graphics as well), and the original music very much feels like Star Wars (Some of it actually is from the movies.)

I like that it doesn't some of the later additions to WoW, like the Dungeon Finder, that put grouping on autopilot, but I don't like that they decided not to have dual specs. I kinda like the freedom to switch to a DPS spec when I'm soloing, while still retaining group viability with healing or tanking.

At any rate, this game is gonna be hugely successful and likely will be like WoW, not going free-to-play for a long, long time. Hopefully, not until I stop playing it.

The story, while awesome (the parts that I played up to about level 12 on a couple different characters), is the part that gives me a little hesitation about this game. What happens in the end game when the story has to end or be put on an infinite loop until the next major patch/expansion?

Also, an immersion breaker for me is seeing 12 of the same companions running around. You build up a back story with these companions, then all of a sudden they've been cloned and you come to the realization that everyone has the same backstory. It yanks you out of the immersion like the hook cane yanked Looney Tunes characters off the stage.

Edited by Lawyers Guns N Money, 10 December 2011 - 07:43 AM.
typo

#225 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:58 PM

The story, while awesome (the parts that I played up to about level 12 on a couple different characters), is the part that gives me a little hesitation about this game. What happens in the end game when the story has to end or be put on an infinite loop until the next major patch/expansion?

Also, the a immersion breaker for me is seeing 12 of the same companions running around. You build up a back story with these companions, then all of a sudden they've been cloned and you come to the realization that everyone has the same backstory. It yanks you out of the immersion like the hook cane yanked Looney Tunes characters off the stage.

You can customize companions armor and there's the cosmetic slot that makes them have different skin colors, faces and haircuts, but I agree that it hurts immersion. I think we shouldn't see the names of other people's companions. That should help, if only a little bit.

As for the story, I'm the kinda person who rolls tons of characters, so I'll at the very least be playing through multiple storylines, and for endgame stuff, I'm not entirely certain how it goes about it. I also didn't go past level 10-12 on the characters I played in beta. One of my favorite pastimes in WoW was exploration, so perhaps the later worlds are a bit bigger and exploration friendly. Raids and PvP will also be an option, and hopefully world PvP is fun as well.

It's the one x-factor for me, not gonna lie, but I'm sure I'll find something I like doing.
Posted Image

#226 gunstar808

gunstar808

Capitalism, Ho!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:15 AM

Haven't been following the pre release info too closely for this game. But are there any decent deals to be had?

So far it seems like Kmart is the only place offering any kind of deal ($15 coupon). But then you miss out on early access+crystal.

#227 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:19 AM

Haven't been following the pre release info too closely for this game. But are there any decent deals to be had?

So far it seems like Kmart is the only place offering any kind of deal ($15 coupon). But then you miss out on early access+crystal.

Honestly, if you haven't preordered by now, I'd opt for Kmart. You'd likely get 1 day of early access preordering this late.
Posted Image

#228 Thorgouge

Thorgouge

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:27 AM

So I preordered on Amazon but never received any early access code. Anybody care to explain when/if I'll be receiving my code?

#229 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:40 AM

So I preordered on Amazon but never received any early access code. Anybody care to explain when/if I'll be receiving my code?

They should have e-mailed it to you when you preordered. If you added a code for the color crystal, that's your early access code as well.

If you really didn't get one, call Amazon about it, but don't expect early access for more than a day, since entry is based on when you entered the code.
Posted Image

#230 Superstar

Superstar

CAG Superstar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:04 AM

Are they supposed to send an email letting me know when my early access starts? I pre-ordered the CE on day one and entered my code the next day, but I am just curious

#231 Gannikus

Gannikus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:05 AM

No emails from them yet...
Posted Image

#232 ShadowSx

ShadowSx

Why so serious?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:06 AM

Are they supposed to send an email letting me know when my early access starts? I pre-ordered the CE on day one and entered my code the next day, but I am just curious

It is first come first serve, since you pre-ordered day one than I would say you will get in on 12/13 for sure, most likely receive and email tomorrow or day of.

#233 Superstar

Superstar

CAG Superstar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:07 AM

It is first come first serve, since you pre-ordered day one than I would say you will get in on 12/13 for sure, most likely receive and email tomorrow or day of.

Thanks. I am excited! :D

#234 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:55 AM

Oh so stoked, it's getting close!

#235 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:25 PM

First wave of emails will go out ONE HOUR (7AM EST) before servers are live at 8AM EST. If you don't get an email, try to log in anyway because I wouldn't trust them to get anything right cutting it so close. This has to be the most retarded way to launch an MMO ever. You can't tell me with all this planning that they couldn't solidify and tell people when their start date would be at least a week in advance. I'll basically be waking up like normal for work and have to see if I'm in or not so I can alert my boss.

Fucking BioWare.

EDIT: CORRECTION, servers are live at 7AM EST. So we basically get zero heads up GG.

Edited by Jodou, 13 December 2011 - 12:09 AM.

#236 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:12 PM

I love how BioWare is trying to Fuck up the launch so bad. The icing on the cake will be if servers are offline for the entire week.

#237 Kevfactor

Kevfactor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

I have to say i think early access is a smart move for a mmo launch. dont have everyone logging into your severs on the 1st day that way

anyways i cant decide between deluxe or standard :)

#238 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:58 PM

Early access is not a new concept and this is by far the worst handled one I've ever seen.

- No grace period
- Start date was moved ahead with six days advance notice
- ZERO respect given to people with jobs/school/commitments

And you can't blame EA for this one because Warhammer had an incredibly smooth launch; possibly the best of all-time.

#239 Kevfactor

Kevfactor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

rift was pretty good too
the game actually is better than wow but just not as popular and leveling up sucks in it:)

#240 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:30 PM

Heh, they just finished Guild Placement it seems. I was auto-assigned to "Naddist Rebels." Not sure if we want to start there or not just because the name is pretty crappy.