Star Wars: The Old Republic - Out now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Draekon']I'd be curious if people who were in beta weekends once before and came back, if their characters from the last weekend would still be there or if they wipe every week.[/QUOTE]
Always wiped because it's a new build every time from what I understand.

I was waiting patiently for my invite, but never received one. I even upgrading my desktop to a beastly one for upcoming games...

For those playing this weekend beta my name will be Jaxom Spiegel, or if not I will post whatever name I do get. Hit me up and we can quest together, I will most likely be playing a Smuggler or Sith Inquisitor or both.

[quote name='Superstar']No beta invite here yet. :([/QUOTE]

They won't be sending out any more invites until next weekend, they send the invites out on Tuesday so you have enough time to download it and be able to play on Friday.

[quote name='ShadowSx']They won't be sending out any more invites until next weekend, they send the invites out on Tuesday so you have enough time to download it and be able to play on Friday.[/QUOTE]

Ahh I just assumed they sent them out on the weekend. Thanks for the heads up. I haven't had time to read much about the game lately due to work.

[quote name='Superstar']Ahh I just assumed they sent them out on the weekend. Thanks for the heads up. I haven't had time to read much about the game lately due to work.[/QUOTE]

The weekend is when you actually play the game, you only get Friday-Sunday to play so they give you the week (Tues-Fri) to download it, a friend who got in this weekend said it was something like 13gb.

[quote name='ShadowSx']The weekend is when you actually play the game, you only get Friday-Sunday to play so they give you the week (Tues-Fri) to download it, a friend who got in this weekend said it was something like 13gb.[/QUOTE]

I hope I get in eventually.

[quote name='Draekon']Is that for Beta Weekends or Closed Beta? My source says closed beta invites are closed for this phase, but Beta Weekends still go out (which is separate from closed beta).[/QUOTE]

It is for the closed beta, not the beta weekend. At least as far as I can tell. Nothing on the tester site or in the email mentioned that it was only for the weekend. I've been playing relatively consistently since Tuesday.

More then 13 gigs we are looking closer to 20 total if i remember right. Check ur spam filter my invite came mid august but i had no idea until late august when i happened to be checking over spam box before purging it.

Our guild pretty much confirmed our fears for the game: great single-player experience online. Granted it's a great game if you like the whole loreLoL, RP nonsense. And actually, one of our more weird members who does live streams of BW games just for the RP, HATED it after 3-4 hours. All that can be said really is it's fucking Star Wars, but hardly worth the cost EA has put into it. The game will not have staying power and after you 'beat' the game, people will likely return to old habits of waiting for the next MMO or going back to WoW.

As much as I hate to say it, I'd still rather play SWG in its current state than TOR but that's for the PvP aspect alone.

I think it has potential. The classes are just about right and there is a big enough market for players to join and make the community large enough for EA to put more emphasize into the game.

A few glitches here and there when I upgraded my video card, but that was resolved with some new drivers. No lag on my end, but the areas I was playing in didn't have too much going on.

To me this game has a feel of the original SWTOR for the Xbox, but that is just me. My buddy wanted to join the beta, but he realized that he'll need to upgrade to a better PC or laptop...

No game that is PVP focused sells well enough for a big company like EA to invest in. The single player experience better be great! That's what's going to pull people in. Hopefully the PVP ends up being good, but really, I could care less until I hit the end of the PvE content. PVP in WoW was never spectacular and it did fantabulously. I have my own little PvE guild that I can hopefully draft some folks into to at least preserve the name at launch. It's annoying that you can't join a Jedi and Sith guild at the same time with your account.

[quote name='starkillr']No game that is PVP focused sells well enough for a big company like EA to invest in. The single player experience better be great! That's what's going to pull people in. Hopefully the PVP ends up being good, but really, I could care less until I hit the end of the PvE content. PVP in WoW was never spectacular and it did fantabulously. I have my own little PvE guild that I can hopefully draft some folks into to at least preserve the name at launch. It's annoying that you can't join a Jedi and Sith guild at the same time with your account.[/QUOTE]
No, PvP in WoW WAS amazing for the first year until they fucked it all up with the honor system. Can't tell you how many raid nights turned into grief sessions of "don't let those motherfuckers in the door!" When world PvP existed, that game was golden. My guild used to fuck with Orgrimmar nightly until they starting coming to SW or IF. Hell, the horde even killed our Darnassus boss a few times. We tried getting Thrall, but he was always so buggy he'd chase someone that ressed in the GY and reset.

I just don't get why devs have to fix what isn't broke. SWG was ruined overnight with CU, too.

Actually early WoW PvP was good because everybody didn't die in 2 fucking hits. Everybody was fairly even and people who had the best raid equipment weren't untouchable with a priest strapped to their belt. PvP gets ruined when someone has the best equipment available and it turns them into an Abrams Tank fighting a single infantry in an open field when they're the same level and only have 'pretty good' equipment. Sure it should give an edge, but it shouldn't make it nigh impossible to win.

[quote name='Draekon']Actually early WoW PvP was good because everybody didn't die in 2 fucking hits. Everybody was fairly even and people who had the best raid equipment weren't untouchable with a priest strapped to their belt. PvP gets ruined when someone has the best equipment available and it turns them into an Abrams Tank fighting a single infantry in an open field when they're the same level and only have 'pretty good' equipment. Sure it should give an edge, but it shouldn't make it nigh impossible to win.[/QUOTE]
Ha yeah, and now it's the priest themself that can tank unless you stunlock it to death. That game went downhill soon as they had to balance PvP with PvE. It's simply impossible the way they set it up.

I had a similar conversation with my friend the other day about WoW's PvP. I told him that the one thing that would make me go back to WoW would be a new class. He said they most likely wouldn't create a new class because it took them almost all of Wrath to balance DK's in PvP. So, in a way PvP kinda fucks up PvE, even with skill or spell balancing. Why don't they just make each ability have two a PvP function and a PvE function? I guess that would be hell to go through, but I'd imagine they could afford it.

I almost feel like Blizz is throwing in the towel with WoW while waiting for Titan to get finished. I could care less about the rumored Pandaren expansion. I don't want to play a joke race and level a second class since I already have a character with each class.

OK, I'm just quoting this now so come launch day we can point and laugh:[quote name='Frank Gibeau']the same thing [BF3 login server issues] won’t happen[/quote]

Saw this on another forum, said they copied it from the swtor.com forum.

"Next, our biggest event of the year, the December 20th launch of Star Wars: The Old Republic. This is inarguably the most anticipated game of the year, an epic MMO that makes each player the hero of their own Star Wars saga. The Old Republic is in Beta right now and players are blown away by the immersive story, dynamic combat and authentic Star Wars feel. In the coming weeks we'll invite hundreds of thousands of players into our biggest Beta test to date."

I really hope I get a beta invite in these next batches.

I hope I finish setting up the sharepoint server here at work before I get an invite (if I do), so I don't have to split my time between stuff.

I have faith this game will be pretty good PVE-wise and I have a feeling PVP will eventually come around.

While I agree the HK system pretty much killed WoW's PVP cuz I preferred world PVP over battlegrounds and some of the most fun I've had with WoW was preventing alliance from getting into MC and BWL, I plan on doing more PVE with my guild than PVP.

I guess from other people's posts there supposed to be some large wave of invites soon?

How many people decided to buy or plan on getting the Collectors Edition? I got it over purchasing the digital deluxe version because I do not want to support buying games through Origin, and I had enough Amazon credit to get it for free.

I'm days late but early access starts on 12/15 FYI. Just locked in my vacation time here at work, so I'm set for server downtime and launch lag for at least a week and a half lol. Each time a game like this comes out I'm reminded why I love MMOs: pure chaos and veteran guildmates coming out of the woodwork to play.

[quote name='Jodou']I'm days late but early access starts on 12/15 FYI. Just locked in my vacation time here at work, so I'm set for server downtime and launch lag for at least a week and a half lol. Each time a game like this comes out I'm reminded why I love MMOs: pure chaos and veteran guildmates coming out of the woodwork to play.[/QUOTE]

I had heard that awhile back. My last final is on 12/14 so I will be ready to go. Though I graduate on the 17th so that will take away a good chunk of time.

EDIT: I would also like to add that it is UP TO 5 days early depending on when you entered the code into your Bioware/EA account. Luckily, I was up when the email went out at 3-4 am whenever it was and got mine with 30-45 minutes of being able to preorder.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got into the beta today. Doesn't say if it's a weekend thing or the real beta. But at least I get to try it out, if only to just look at talent trees and stuff.

[quote name='tcrash247']I got into the beta today. Doesn't say if it's a weekend thing or the real beta. But at least I get to try it out, if only to just look at talent trees and stuff.[/QUOTE]

I got into the beta as well, better late than never I guess, but on the page where you download the client it says Beta Weekend Scheduled.

Yeah, you're right it is just the weekend. I read the email really fast on my phone and didn't have a chance to sign up yet. Better than nothing though!

Also got in but I'm not wasting my time on a 3-day event, especially since it starts the same day as Skyrim. fuck that.

I'm in as well for this weekend, sucks cause I have a shit ton of homework and a project due Monday not to mention I work weekends. I'm barely gonna have any time to play, but better late than never.

Got it all installed tonight, not sure what I'm going to test first. I was planning on rolling SW Jug but the feedback lately is that it basically sucks. Can't wait to see how it looks though.

Everything I've heard basically amounts to Jedi suck and that ranged win this game. I tend to agree because if it's like any MMO I've ever played, if you can CC a person to death and never allow them to hit you -- you're going to win. Not to say some people won't play the class well, but I find it pretty ironic that Jedi of all things are probably going to be underpowered at first. Quite the 180 from SWG when we were PvP GODS.

Probably a good thing they're not letting us BHs take player bounties, because I'm hearing some very good things about Mercenary. :twisted:

FML!

Skyrim_Lightsaber.jpg

The Beta Weekend client runs you about 20GB. That's from a fresh install and patches could push you higher if you're returning to future weekends and don't need to re-download/install the client.

Got into the weekend beta! I am extremely excited, as I have been waiting for this game since i first heard about it. I'm updating the client as I type this. :)

Everybody who had applied for beta before 11/11/11 got into the beta weekend. Including those who are already in the closed beta.

[quote name='Draekon']Everybody who had applied for beta before 11/11/11 got into the beta weekend. Including those who are already in the closed beta.[/QUOTE]

yeah i saw that and logged in just in case, and the site apparently was getting a lot of activity. i was going to be a bounty hunter because the voice actor is the same one that played Oghren in dragon age. as for who is over or under powered, i think if jedis get 'force jump' force leap, that will negate some of the disadvantage. of course, the ranged players can put up shield walls, and move around as well. it looks pretty balanced, but i havent played the beta.

I tried logging into the beta but it seems some of swtor.com is down and I can't get pass logging into the launcher.

Kinda odd to give people such a specific time period and then not have the servers ready at said specific time...well in the going against the giant gorilla sense I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back