Star Wars: The Old Republic - Out now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='blueweltall']Thanks for the tip! Moving around does feel much better using the mouse to turn.

I'm a total noob at pc games so any advice is very helpful.[/QUOTE]
Lol, in MMO circles you're known as a keyboard turner. ;)

If you want, you could get used to ESDF to move now so that you have more hotkeys available with shift as the modifier key. That's how us pros roll.

I've always found a combination of hotkeys and clicking to be best personally. Going pure hotkeys makes me worse and slows me down as I tend to misclick keys too often. Just fine what works for you and go with it. I'm a shell of my former self, but I still put up a hell of a fight once I get used to my character and how to deal with others.

[quote name='measureless']Well, no, I can't say for sure, but it definitely looks like 7fps. Or at least how it would have looked in WoW. I turned everything off and put every graphics option at its lowest to no avail. I'm worried that the game may not be optimized for laptops but people playing on much older, non-gaming machines have 40-60fps according to the official forums.

Then again, maybe everything will work come launch. But I would hate to waste my money on the preorder if it doesn't, you know?[/QUOTE]
Does the m15x have Optimus graphics? The game runs fine on my m14x, I just had to whitelist the swtor.exe file to make sure it was using the nVidia GPU instead of the integrated one. I was getting around 40-50 fps with medium-high settings.

For the person with frame rate issues with the pretty good setup, that's not client-side lag, it's server-side. You are lagging due to the server, not your setup. If you pick a server with no one on it (impossible during a stress test), you'll see really smooth FPS. I had everything maxxed out and it was fine. My laptop actually ran it better than my desktop. 8800GTs in SLI are starting to suck it up.

I think your experience in the game is going to be strongly correlated to what class/side you pick. I found the Sith experience significantly more engaging than Jedi. I wanted to be a Jedi, but was so underwhelmed with the experience I went Sith and was very happy. While there may be "only" 4 classes, they are spun differently enough on each faction that they feel like unique classes. So for example, Sith Inquisitor is the analogue to Jedi Consular, but I enjoyed the Sith Inquisitor about 10x more. Same with Sith Warrior vs Jedi. Also heard great things about the Agent, but never tried it. BH was very fun to play with. I'm definitely going to enjoy this game. If not for the missions where you must group with people, I would've thought I was playing KoToR with a bunch of spazzy NPCs running around killing the wildlife.

Haha, tried this game on my laptop and got like 10 fps, then realized I was on Power Saver battery settings. Smooth 35-40 fps on medium settings -- what an easy game to run!

The only thing I'm really disappointed with thus far is the lack luster combat, the GCD is a tad ridiculous with the inclusion of "skill queuing". I don't like having to use a GCD for what would and should be an auto attack.

If people want to kill boars with auto attack all day then let them, Bioware/EA still get their money for the sub.

Just my two cents.

[quote name='hustletron']The only thing I'm really disappointed with thus far is the lack luster combat, the GCD is a tad ridiculous with the inclusion of "skill queuing". I don't like having to use a GCD for what would and should be an auto attack.

If people want to kill boars with auto attack all day then let them, Bioware/EA still get their money for the sub.

Just my two cents.[/QUOTE]

I actually feel the opposite way, it makes me feel like the timing of my attacks is even more important than ever. Gives combat an active feel, as opposed to WoW or something else where I could literally right-click an enemy and watch TV for a minute and it'll be dead when I look back.

What is the point of that anyways? I've been wondering. I don't think it helps or hurts the combat, you're either auto-attacking or mindlessly mashing your number keys -- neither is terribly engaging (nor do I expect early game grinding to be engaging). Or is there an advantage to timing it perfectly and a penalty to mashing?

[quote name='panzerfaust']What is the point of that anyways? I've been wondering. I don't think it helps or hurts the combat, you're either auto-attacking or mindlessly mashing your number keys -- neither is terribly engaging (nor do I expect early game grinding to be engaging). Or is there an advantage to timing it perfectly and a penalty to mashing?[/QUOTE]

A huge part of the combat in TOR is managing your resource bar. The key to successful combat is to use abilities and your regular attack without sacrificing too much of your resources, or you risk being unable to react to anything unexpected. Playing my Bounty Hunter, I usually tried to stun-lock enemies using explosives, then use my regular attack while my Heat dissipates, and then stun-lock them again. Mashing the keys would get the job done I imagine, but I like the finesse that I use.

Anybody can button-mash, but I doubt it'll be as effective as WoW, where all you're trying to do is mash your abilities, as opposed to managing your resources. Button-mashers I imagine will lock themselves in the GCD a LOT, and won't be performing optimally.

WoW and pretty much all MMOs have resource management within combat. Watching cooldowns and keeping upkeep on your mana/rage/energy is pretty much the definition of WoW PvE. Star Wars does the same thing, but now you have to tap your mouse every time for a basic attack. It's tedious IMO, but hardly big of an issue. I just wondered why.

[quote name='panzerfaust']WoW and pretty much all MMOs have resource management within combat. Watching cooldowns and keeping upkeep on your mana/rage/energy is pretty much the definition of WoW PvE. Star Wars does the same thing, but now you have to tap your mouse every time for a basic attack. It's tedious IMO, but hardly big of an issue. I just wondered why.[/QUOTE]

I think Bioware was trying to make their game feel more active in combat than other MMO's. Some people like it (Like me), and others find it tedious.

I agree with Jason on this matter. As my warrior in WoW, sometimes I'm sitting there waiting for an auto attack to happen to get some rage to use an ability. I would much rather be pressing a button, so I like the way TOR works much more than WoW. The more interactivity, the better.

As someone who's totally new to MMORPGs...

Wasn't a fan. Like I said before, everything felt off. Like a Chinese knockoff of KotOR. Spamming "1" a whole bunch to hit a guy, having to manually approach a chest to open it (The fuck is that, anyway?), the very nature of the MMO weakening the single-player-story focused intro...

Didn't work. So, yeah, I'm half-way through replaying the first Knights right now. Then I'll check out what mods are out now and move on to Knights 2. Good times to be had, I'm sure.

Star Wars The Old Republic doesn't feel like a standard mmo. It feels like KOTOR 3 with co-op, huge environments, and different story lines. I enjoyed my short time with the beta.

[quote name='The Crotch']As someone who's totally new to MMORPGs...

Wasn't a fan. Like I said before, everything felt off. Like a Chinese knockoff of KotOR. Spamming "1" a whole bunch to hit a guy, having to manually approach a chest to open it (The fuck is that, anyway?), the very nature of the MMO weakening the single-player-story focused intro...

Didn't work. So, yeah, I'm half-way through replaying the first Knights right now. Then I'll check out what mods are out now and move on to Knights 2. Good times to be had, I'm sure.[/QUOTE]

Sorry just being honest but this is something a nub would say, of course your not gonna have much skills available with just 3 days of beta play. You'll get more skills and other options when you go to an Advance class (which is much funner) and you won't have to spam 1 all the time -_-

And yes, this is like a KOTOR 3 but MUCH MUCH better and over 100's of playing time....

Um. I know you get more skills. Jesus. As time progressed, I went from "1111111" to do a single attack to "351111116111111114444444422222244444422224444111111222224444441111122222".

And I expect that chain would only increase as I levelled further. But I don't expect my enjoyment of doing it would.

[quote name='The Crotch']Um. I know you get more skills. Jesus. As time progressed, I went from "1111111" to do a single attack to "351111116111111114444444422222244444422224444111111222224444441111122222".

And I expect that chain would only increase as I levelled further. But I don't expect my enjoyment of doing it would.[/QUOTE]

How is this different from playing KOTOR? Other than the game doesn't freeze to let you queue up your attacks.

Auto attack if nothing else queued up for your basic melee, better queues, party management, no global cooldown (and a completely different take on non-basic-attacks in general), very different resource management, none of this "you are not in range to use that attack" noise...

Not all of those things are necessarily better. But definitely different.

[quote name='The Crotch']Auto attack if nothing else queued up for your basic melee, better queues, party management, no global cooldown (and a completely different take on non-basic-attacks in general), very different resource management, none of this "you are not in range to use that attack" noise...

Not all of those things are necessarily better. But definitely different.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps rather than mashing buttons, you should wait until you are in range to use the attack.

And of course there's a global cooldown in KOTOR. It's the time period between your queued up attacks. It's just hidden from you since KOTOR is so automated. TOR is in realtime, if there wasn't a GCD, you could spam your attacks faster and faster just by mashing the buttons.

As for party management, you can choose to control all of your companion's actions. It's just all in real-time, so it's not as "easy".

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Perhaps rather than mashing buttons, you should wait until you are in range to use the attack.[/quote]
Point was, you'd move in range to do something in KotOR. And... most any RPG, really. Diablo, Neverwinter Nights, KotOR, Dragon Age, any Infity Engine game. I click "open" on a treasure chest ten feet away, I walk up to it and open it. I click attack on an enemy ten feet away, I walk up to him and attack him.

No shit it ain't game-breaking, but it's a contributor to the whole "Something just ain't right here" vibe that I got.

[quote name='JasonTerminator'] And of course there's a global cooldown in KOTOR. It's the time period between your queued up attacks. It's just hidden from you since KOTOR is so automated. TOR is in realtime, if there wasn't a GCD, you could spam your attacks faster and faster just by mashing the buttons.[/quote]
I don't know that "being a turnbased game" (albeit one that pretends to be in real-time) really equates to "real-time with global cooldown", but now we're just arguing about terminology.

[quote name='JasonTerminator'] As for party management, you can choose to control all of your companion's actions. It's just all in real-time, so it's not as "easy".[/QUOTE]
Admittedly, this is something I don't know too much about, as the only companion I got in the time I played had very few abilities, and even fewer that I actually wanted to use.

In the end? If you prefer it, more power to you. Me? I don't. Everything felt "off" to me. Like someone baked a delicious pizza with ham and green peppers and onions and all that shit but forgot to put any cheese on. And maybe some people just say fuck cheese, so it's a great pizza for them. So be it. You can have my slice.

But my next planet is Manaan, and I'm fucking dreading it, because fuck that planet so god damn hard.

[quote name='The Crotch']Point was, you'd move in range to do something in KotOR. And... most any RPG, really. Diablo, Neverwinter Nights, KotOR, Dragon Age, any Infity Engine game. I click "open" on a treasure chest ten feet away, I walk up to it and open it. I click attack on an enemy ten feet away, I walk up to him and attack him.[/QUOTE]

But not MMORPG. I totally missed the part where you said it's your first, so I now understand why you don't "get" TOR yet.

I'd say you should give the game more time to get used to things. And probably not on a beta stress-test weekend next time. Perhaps when the game gets free trials added next summer or winter.

Def getting this, had a blast playing last weekend.

Question, gonna sound like an idiot on this, but.....If i preorder deluxe digital edition on origin, do i get charged at that time. I put it in my cart and it showed up 79.99 plus a 5 dollar preorder fee.

anyone done this yet? would just pick it up launch night but my mx11 doesnt have a cd-rom. so digital is the way to go, and from what i hear, as long as the game is tied to my origin account, i can keep the launcher i have installed now from beta, and play from that (after patches of course)

thanks for the help fellow cagsmen

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']Def getting this, had a blast playing last weekend.

Question, gonna sound like an idiot on this, but.....If i preorder deluxe digital edition on origin, do i get charged at that time. I put it in my cart and it showed up 79.99 plus a 5 dollar preorder fee.

anyone done this yet? would just pick it up launch night but my mx11 doesnt have a cd-rom. so digital is the way to go, and from what i hear, as long as the game is tied to my origin account, i can keep the launcher i have installed now from beta, and play from that (after patches of course)

thanks for the help fellow cagsmen[/QUOTE]

Origin charges a preorder fee?

It's like they're trying to fuck up royally with Origin, I swear.

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']Def getting this, had a blast playing last weekend.

thanks for the help fellow cagsmen[/QUOTE]

I think it approves the whole amount when you order it.Then that approval will drop after 24 hours and you will be charged a 5 dollar fee.Then I assume you will be charged the whole amount minus the 5 dollars at release.Don't quote me on that ;) I want the DDE version too but I just hate Origin too much to order I think.

[quote name='MOTORCITY_MADMAN']I think it approves the whole amount when you order it.Then that approval will drop after 24 hours and you will be charged a 5 dollar fee.Then I assume you will be charged the whole amount minus the 5 dollars at release.Don't quote me on that ;) I want the DDE version too but I just hate Origin too much to order I think.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but unlike a store like Gamestop, there is literally NO REASON for a preorder fee on a digital service like Origin. The entire purpose at Gamestop is to ensure that you actually pick up the damn game, since they potentially loose money if they have an extra copy of the game they have to sell.

I hope Valve and EA buddy up again soon. TOR doesn't require Origin now, but when it sells a few million copies, I wouldn't be surprised if EA changes it's mind and decides to make it required. It's one of the few things that could make me consider cancelling my future sub.

ok, so let me ask you guys this... Say i go and buy the game day one at walmart or kmart.... will i be able to input my key from the box and play it from the downloaded beta i have now? since this is retail launch code just needs patches? because ill have that key loaded on my swtor account?

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Yeah, but unlike a store like Gamestop, there is literally NO REASON for a preorder fee on a digital service like Origin. [/QUOTE]

Their other games don't have preorder fees, but the reason The Old Republic does is because you get the early access code immediately. They don't want people preordering, registering the code, and then canceling their preorder since they have no way of cancelling the codes they give out once they're registered.

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']ok, so let me ask you guys this... Say i go and buy the game day one at walmart or kmart.... will i be able to input my key from the box and play it from the downloaded beta i have now? since this is retail launch code just needs patches? because ill have that key loaded on my swtor account?[/QUOTE]
Yes, that's how all keys work. What makes you think otherwise?

I'm trying to wrap my head around why Origin would need a $5 pre-order fee since I assume once you order you're locked in for the full price anyway. Maybe they're treating it like an actual pre-order where they only require $5 down, like any normal retail joint does. Weird.

[quote name='Jon7']Their other games don't have preorder fees, but the reason The Old Republic does is because you get the early access code immediately. They don't want people preordering, registering the code, and then canceling their preorder since they have no way of cancelling the codes they give out once they're registered.[/QUOTE]

Well, the solution to that is simple. DON'T LET PEOPLE CANCEL THEIR PREORDERS.

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']ok, so let me ask you guys this... Say i go and buy the game day one at walmart or kmart.... will i be able to input my key from the box and play it from the downloaded beta i have now? since this is retail launch code just needs patches? because ill have that key loaded on my swtor account?[/QUOTE]

Regardless of where you purchase your copy, it has been confirmed that the beta client can be updated and patched to the retail version.

So what do you guys think are the best crafting skills? I know, a very annoying question. But here's how I see it:

Armormech, Armstech, Artifice, and Synthweaving all have their benefits depending on which class you are. However, say you choose Synthweaving for your Sith Inquisitor. In most MMOs the top end game gear is not going to come from crafting. So then eventually the usefulness of any of the skills listed above will come to an end.

However, if you go with crafting skills like biochem or cybertech which craft consumables, there really is no point where you won't need these items anymore. And especially in PVP situations, these skills may be more beneficial.

What do you all think?

[quote name='testisbest']So what do you guys think are the best crafting skills? I know, a very annoying question. But here's how I see it:

Armormech, Armstech, Artifice, and Synthweaving all have their benefits depending on which class you are. However, say you choose Synthweaving for your Sith Inquisitor. In most MMOs the top end game gear is not going to come from crafting. So then eventually the usefulness of any of the skills listed above will come to an end.

However, if you go with crafting skills like biochem or cybertech which craft consumables, there really is no point where you won't need these items anymore. And especially in PVP situations, these skills may be more beneficial.

What do you all think?[/QUOTE]

My favorite crafting skill in WoW is Engineering, and Cybertech seems like the closest to that in TOR, so I'm probably going to opt for that.

[quote name='Naplex']Regardless of where you purchase your copy, it has been confirmed that the beta client can be updated and patched to the retail version.[/QUOTE]

I just received an email from Bioware today saying that removal of the game testing client is needed before the install of the launch client can happen. Just a little something for everyone to keep in mind.

Hopefully they'll put up the client a few days earlier than the early access period. I'd hate to spend the first day downloading and installing the game.

I preordered the CE day 1 as well. Amazon didn't have release day shipping on it yet at that time, so I'm thinking about calling them to see if they can upgrade my order to it, but I'm worried they'll try cancelling the order and then re-placing it with that shipping option, only to discover they can't re-order it.

Perhaps it's just my paranoia, but I'm worried I'll get to play for 5 days, then have to stop until my copy arrives in the mail (Amazon estimates December 28th or something stupid like that right now).

[quote name='JasonTerminator']I preordered the CE day 1 as well. Amazon didn't have release day shipping on it yet at that time, so I'm thinking about calling them to see if they can upgrade my order to it, but I'm worried they'll try cancelling the order and then re-placing it with that shipping option, only to discover they can't re-order it.

Perhaps it's just my paranoia, but I'm worried I'll get to play for 5 days, then have to stop until my copy arrives in the mail (Amazon estimates December 28th or something stupid like that right now).[/QUOTE]

I canceled at Amazon for that reason. Immediately after canceling it was sold out and the only place that wasn't sold out was Walmart. So I have it coming Walmart but it won't be delivered till the 29th it says. If it is even delivered at all.

Got a scare when Walmart sent out cancelation notices for everyone only to find out it was a system error.

You guys realize that pre-order codes will include a grace period to enter your key, right? Usually it's about a week before they cut you off because they realize that many orders are being shipped and not picked up at retail. Now, take this with a grain of salt because they've announced nothing official yet (AFAIK) but they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they don't.

[quote name='Gannikus']Wasn't it whoever reserved it first, gets to play early access first? I read it in swtor.com forums.[/QUOTE]
Nope, whoever entered their codes first will. I suspect they're sorting everyone out now and next week we'll get our start dates/client downloads.

[quote name='Gannikus']Wasn't it whoever reserved it first, gets to play early access first? I read it in swtor.com forums.[/QUOTE]

Yes, early access with be granted to players in waves working it's way from the first day of preorders to the current date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back