Star Wars: The Old Republic - Out now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Jodou']You guys realize that pre-order codes will include a grace period to enter your key, right? Usually it's about a week before they cut you off because they realize that many orders are being shipped and not picked up at retail. Now, take this with a grain of salt because they've announced nothing official yet (AFAIK) but they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they don't.[/QUOTE]

This is what I believe as well. For some reason I feel like they eluded to this, but I don't think they came out and said it plainly. And I agree, if they don't do this then they're being really stupid and showing they don't give a shit about people who preordered physical copies.

Downloading it now. I'll probably contact customer support to see about the grace period as well. If I don't need to upgrade the shipping on my order, I'd prefer not to.

I also totally didn't expect early access to start on the 13th. 5 days (Hopefully) until I play!

fuck. They said previously it begins on the 15th and before they said that I was assuming the 13th. Now it's being retold as the 13th and I can't get out of my plans for the 13th and 14th. Bastards. I know I'll get in on the 13th because I preordered in the first hour available (Happened to wake up and notice it after preorders went live).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya wish it would have been on the 15th as my finals are over on the 14th, hope this doesnt interfere with studying too much.

[quote name='Draekon']fuck. They said previously it begins on the 15th and before they said that I was assuming the 13th. Now it's being retold as the 13th and I can't get out of my plans for the 13th and 14th. Bastards. I know I'll get in on the 13th because I preordered in the first hour available (Happened to wake up and notice it after preorders went live).[/QUOTE]
I'm in the exact same boat. Way to give us a whopping six days advance notice FailWare. At first I thought it was a typo, but no -- they mention specifically up to seven days in the disclaimer. Do these droolers not realize people make plans for this?

It's not a big deal or anything, but definitely disappointing. I had requested taking off Christmas week before I even knew about early access or the release date. So I grabbed the two extra days since I have like three weeks of vacation piled up. I like beating the crowd in these games because of how ungodly terrible it can be starting at the same time as the crowd. It's like the B&M Black Friday of the online world. Terrible.

[quote name='Draekon']It's not a big deal or anything, but definitely disappointing. I had requested taking off Christmas week before I even knew about early access or the release date. So I grabbed the two extra days since I have like three weeks of vacation piled up. I like beating the crowd in these games because of how ungodly terrible it can be starting at the same time as the crowd. It's like the B&M Black Friday of the online world. Terrible.[/QUOTE]
Our guild is hardcore though and if I lose even a day it will mean I'm behind on the grind. Hell, with seven days early access we could probably all be max level before the game officially starts. That's my goal anyway.

The thing that bugs me the most is that they originally said there would be a grace period for pre-orders. They backtracked on that and now if you don't input your key on the 20th, you will be cut off until you get the game.

I pre-ordered from Amazon, and their release-day delivery doesn't have the best track record.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']The thing that bugs me the most is that they originally said there would be a grace period for pre-orders. They backtracked on that and now if you don't input your key on the 20th, you will be cut off until you get the game.

I pre-ordered from Amazon, and their release-day delivery doesn't have the best track record.[/QUOTE]
OK, you're the second person I've heard say this but I can't find any source. They're going to have a shitstorm on their hands if they think this will fly.

Ah, I think I see it now. Their website is down for maintenance so much it's hard to get anything official from them.
There will be no ‘grace period’ post launch in which those who are in Early Game Access will be able to continue to play the game. In order to continue playing past the Early Game Access period, you will need to enter a valid launch game code and payment method.
Well, they'll have to handle the backlash from paying customers who can't play because it's in the mail. If you think about it, there's no possible way for people ordering online to not have downtime even with RDD. At least give people the entire day to redeem FFS. Very dumb move; hope this isn't an indication of things to come. . .

I have always gotten my games on release day, so I am not worried about it. I just won't be able to play for part of the day on Tuesday.

[quote name='Jodou']OK, you're the second person I've heard say this but I can't find any source. They're going to have a shitstorm on their hands if they think this will fly.

Ah, I think I see it now. Their website is down for maintenance so much it's hard to get anything official from them.
Well, they'll have to handle the backlash from paying customers who can't play because it's in the mail. If you think about it, there's no possible way for people ordering online to not have downtime even with RDD. At least give people the entire day to redeem FFS. Very dumb move; hope this isn't an indication of things to come. . .[/QUOTE]

Yeah there was a post on the official forums where they said they were going to have a grace period but were looking into the details of how long they could make it and would get back to us. Since this is Christmas season and UPS doesn't like to drop shit off early to me anymore... I doubt I'll have it before 6PM that day. I had already planned ahead though as even though it's during my vacation, I'm doing an on-site visit to a client that day unless it gets rescheduled. I figure the servers will likely choke for 24 hours, so I don't want to sit there and do next to nothing. Granted it might not effect me depending on how much I play in the early access period.

[quote name='Jodou']OK, you're the second person I've heard say this but I can't find any source. They're going to have a shitstorm on their hands if they think this will fly.

Well, they'll have to handle the backlash from paying customers who can't play because it's in the mail. If you think about it, there's no possible way for people ordering online to not have downtime even with RDD. At least give people the entire day to redeem FFS. Very dumb move; hope this isn't an indication of things to come. . .[/QUOTE]

http://www.swtor.com/preorder/faq#305186

They have a major shitstorm going on in the forums about it, but they seem to be sticking with their line of "fuck you if you preordered online.".

That being said, supposedly some europeans are getting their CE's already. Bioware has said they get their copies on the 15th, so we might get ours 7 days early as well. I really, really hope so...

http://forum.gamebreaker.tv/viewtopic.php?id=3247

That would be awesome if I get my CE that early, I really wanna check out the extra stuff. If BioWare doesn't back down and give us a grace period then that's a really poor decision and says that they don't care all that much about people that pre-ordered.

Anyone check out that guide? I was thinking about getting it, but all that info will prob be on the net in a few days anyway.

So honestly ... from an MMO perspective and not a Star Wars Fan perspective. How was the beta for this game? Does it feel like the game will actually hold up? Or free to play in the up comming years.

I'm going to try to pre order this still if I can somewhere ... but I need an unbiased opinion I think first. Those who played WoW and really enjoyed it type of opinion. Even if you compare it to just like Vanilla WoW.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']http://www.swtor.com/preorder/faq#305186

They have a major shitstorm going on in the forums about it, but they seem to be sticking with their line of "fuck you if you preordered online.".

That being said, supposedly some europeans are getting their CE's already. Bioware has said they get their copies on the 15th, so we might get ours 7 days early as well. I really, really hope so...

http://forum.gamebreaker.tv/viewtopic.php?id=3247[/QUOTE]
Word is Amazon WILL be getting them on the 15th, 17th and 19th but is refusing shipment until the 20th. That's all hearsay, but I can understand the position it puts Amazon in. Generally, breaking street date is a huge no-no so it's still on BioWare to set this right.

And yeah, the general forums are lit up with threads regarding grace period and WTF about the sudden change in early access start dates. I just don't understand why these million dollar MMOs always manage to fuck up release, which is probably the most critical phase of development.

Honestly I doubt you'll see them for some time unless someone bought time and decided to stop playing without using cards. Doubtful we'll see any real deals on time cards for some time as well depending on the success of the game too. Only other way is probably people going with the five finger discount option and then re-selling.

[quote name='Draekon']Honestly I doubt you'll see them for some time unless someone bought time and decided to stop playing without using cards. Doubtful we'll see any real deals on time cards for some time as well depending on the success of the game too. Only other way is probably people going with the five finger discount option and then re-selling.[/QUOTE]

You mean stealing? I thought it's the stores who put the money on them 0_0 like how gift cards are pretty much empty unless you go through the register.

[quote name='strikeratt']So honestly ... from an MMO perspective and not a Star Wars Fan perspective. How was the beta for this game? Does it feel like the game will actually hold up? Or free to play in the up comming years.

I'm going to try to pre order this still if I can somewhere ... but I need an unbiased opinion I think first. Those who played WoW and really enjoyed it type of opinion. Even if you compare it to just like Vanilla WoW.[/QUOTE]

Speaking as a former WoW player, I think the game is AMAZING and is gonna dominate the MMO market, although it might be a few years until it surpasses WoW.

It does feel a lot like WoW, as people have said, but the story is a huge part of this game. I don't skip quest dialogue, like I did a lot in WoW, and so the game feels more interesting than the "go to places and kill boars for tusks" that WoW had me do, even though there are quests of that sort. (Most of them are instantly given to you while you do the more interesting quests though. No getting or turning in, just kill 20 space boars and you get extra xp.) I love the graphics (Mind you, I really like WoW's graphics as well), and the original music very much feels like Star Wars (Some of it actually is from the movies.)

I like that it doesn't some of the later additions to WoW, like the Dungeon Finder, that put grouping on autopilot, but I don't like that they decided not to have dual specs. I kinda like the freedom to switch to a DPS spec when I'm soloing, while still retaining group viability with healing or tanking.

At any rate, this game is gonna be hugely successful and likely will be like WoW, not going free-to-play for a long, long time. Hopefully, not until I stop playing it.

Dual specs are coming, just not at launch. I'm pretty sure they already confirmed this. However with their track record of changing what they say, I couldn't say that with 100% certainty even if I saw it in their news feed.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Speaking as a former WoW player, I think the game is AMAZING and is gonna dominate the MMO market, although it might be a few years until it surpasses WoW.

It does feel a lot like WoW, as people have said, but the story is a huge part of this game. I don't skip quest dialogue, like I did a lot in WoW, and so the game feels more interesting than the "go to places and kill boars for tusks" that WoW had me do, even though there are quests of that sort. (Most of them are instantly given to you while you do the more interesting quests though. No getting or turning in, just kill 20 space boars and you get extra xp.) I love the graphics (Mind you, I really like WoW's graphics as well), and the original music very much feels like Star Wars (Some of it actually is from the movies.)

I like that it doesn't some of the later additions to WoW, like the Dungeon Finder, that put grouping on autopilot, but I don't like that they decided not to have dual specs. I kinda like the freedom to switch to a DPS spec when I'm soloing, while still retaining group viability with healing or tanking.

At any rate, this game is gonna be hugely successful and likely will be like WoW, not going free-to-play for a long, long time. Hopefully, not until I stop playing it.[/QUOTE]
The story, while awesome (the parts that I played up to about level 12 on a couple different characters), is the part that gives me a little hesitation about this game. What happens in the end game when the story has to end or be put on an infinite loop until the next major patch/expansion?

Also, an immersion breaker for me is seeing 12 of the same companions running around. You build up a back story with these companions, then all of a sudden they've been cloned and you come to the realization that everyone has the same backstory. It yanks you out of the immersion like the hook cane yanked Looney Tunes characters off the stage.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']The story, while awesome (the parts that I played up to about level 12 on a couple different characters), is the part that gives me a little hesitation about this game. What happens in the end game when the story has to end or be put on an infinite loop until the next major patch/expansion?

Also, the a immersion breaker for me is seeing 12 of the same companions running around. You build up a back story with these companions, then all of a sudden they've been cloned and you come to the realization that everyone has the same backstory. It yanks you out of the immersion like the hook cane yanked Looney Tunes characters off the stage.[/QUOTE]

You can customize companions armor and there's the cosmetic slot that makes them have different skin colors, faces and haircuts, but I agree that it hurts immersion. I think we shouldn't see the names of other people's companions. That should help, if only a little bit.

As for the story, I'm the kinda person who rolls tons of characters, so I'll at the very least be playing through multiple storylines, and for endgame stuff, I'm not entirely certain how it goes about it. I also didn't go past level 10-12 on the characters I played in beta. One of my favorite pastimes in WoW was exploration, so perhaps the later worlds are a bit bigger and exploration friendly. Raids and PvP will also be an option, and hopefully world PvP is fun as well.

It's the one x-factor for me, not gonna lie, but I'm sure I'll find something I like doing.

Haven't been following the pre release info too closely for this game. But are there any decent deals to be had?

So far it seems like Kmart is the only place offering any kind of deal ($15 coupon). But then you miss out on early access+crystal.

[quote name='gunstar808']Haven't been following the pre release info too closely for this game. But are there any decent deals to be had?

So far it seems like Kmart is the only place offering any kind of deal ($15 coupon). But then you miss out on early access+crystal.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, if you haven't preordered by now, I'd opt for Kmart. You'd likely get 1 day of early access preordering this late.

[quote name='Thorgouge']So I preordered on Amazon but never received any early access code. Anybody care to explain when/if I'll be receiving my code?[/QUOTE]

They should have e-mailed it to you when you preordered. If you added a code for the color crystal, that's your early access code as well.

If you really didn't get one, call Amazon about it, but don't expect early access for more than a day, since entry is based on when you entered the code.

Are they supposed to send an email letting me know when my early access starts? I pre-ordered the CE on day one and entered my code the next day, but I am just curious

[quote name='Superstar']Are they supposed to send an email letting me know when my early access starts? I pre-ordered the CE on day one and entered my code the next day, but I am just curious[/QUOTE]

It is first come first serve, since you pre-ordered day one than I would say you will get in on 12/13 for sure, most likely receive and email tomorrow or day of.

[quote name='ShadowSx']It is first come first serve, since you pre-ordered day one than I would say you will get in on 12/13 for sure, most likely receive and email tomorrow or day of.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I am excited! :D

First wave of emails will go out ONE HOUR (7AM EST) before servers are live at 8AM EST. If you don't get an email, try to log in anyway because I wouldn't trust them to get anything right cutting it so close. This has to be the most retarded way to launch an MMO ever. You can't tell me with all this planning that they couldn't solidify and tell people when their start date would be at least a week in advance. I'll basically be waking up like normal for work and have to see if I'm in or not so I can alert my boss.

fucking BioWare.

EDIT: CORRECTION, servers are live at 7AM EST. So we basically get zero heads up GG.

I have to say i think early access is a smart move for a mmo launch. dont have everyone logging into your severs on the 1st day that way

anyways i cant decide between deluxe or standard :)

Early access is not a new concept and this is by far the worst handled one I've ever seen.

- No grace period
- Start date was moved ahead with six days advance notice
- ZERO respect given to people with jobs/school/commitments

And you can't blame EA for this one because Warhammer had an incredibly smooth launch; possibly the best of all-time.

Heh, they just finished Guild Placement it seems. I was auto-assigned to "Naddist Rebels." Not sure if we want to start there or not just because the name is pretty crappy.

[quote name='Draekon']Heh, they just finished Guild Placement it seems. I was auto-assigned to "Naddist Rebels." Not sure if we want to start there or not just because the name is pretty crappy.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, before the website went down for maintenance AGAIN, our guild was assigned to a nobody server so we'll be rolling elsewhere with all the other elder PVP clans. It served its purpose of measuring how many people we'd have, classes, etc but as a deployment tool it failed on every level expected. The beat goes on for pre-launch shenanigans.

Maybe if enough people figure out what servers guilds were placed in, we'll get a master list before it goes Live and can make last minute planning changes.

[quote name='Draekon']Maybe if enough people figure out what servers guilds were placed in, we'll get a master list before it goes Live and can make last minute planning changes.[/QUOTE]
I was under the impression we had a list. . .guess that was just based off what servers have been named through guild deploy. Add another false start to the laundry list of fuck-ups.

I don't know. I haven't looked into it much since information has been sub-par. I do know we had a list of every single beta server name, but that's it. No idea about a launch list that's official.

So I'm just making sure I'm fully patched before launch, it says I have no active subscription... I know I already put my code in ALONG time ago. So when exactly is it launching pacific time? o.o

[quote name='Gannikus']So I'm just making sure I'm fully patched before launch, it says I have no active subscription... I know I already put my code in ALONG time ago. So when exactly is it launching pacific time? o.o[/QUOTE]

The first servers are going to go live at like 5AM Pacific, but nobody knows when any single individual will have access. You should get an email when your spot in line is up.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']The first servers are going to go live at like 5AM Pacific, but nobody knows when any single individual will have access. You should get an email when your spot in line is up.[/QUOTE]

Still no email :[ but I'm guessing I'll have to wait a little long since I waited 4 weeks to enter my code after day 1 :drool::cold:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back