Star Wars: The Old Republic - Out now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having trouble as well. I was able to watch the intro movie then select a server but the server I chose had a queue so I cancelled the queue to pick a different server then got a loading screen that has been loading for 5 minutes. Hopefully this works at some point tonight.

The server I choose (Iron Citadel) had no queue and isn't laggy at all. Of course I wasn't able to hit it up until 5:50 Central since I just got home from work. If anybody wants to hit me up, I'm on Empire side with a character named Sorcha.

Though my Skyrim finally came, so I may hit that up for a bit tonight too.

EDIT: Typo

Last edited by a moderator:
Played for a couple hours last night, it's what I imagined it to be, KOTOR in an MMO which I love. I am going to be spending soooooooooo much time with this when it launches.

I got the beta invite too but what do I do next? The email said that they are going to send me more detail soon but I haven't gotten anything yet.

It's really Mediocre in my eyes. That's saying a lot considering I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I'll wait for the price drop instead of just dropping money on it as I usually do.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']It's really Mediocre in my eyes. That's saying a lot considering I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I'll wait for the price drop instead of just dropping money on it as I usually do.[/QUOTE]

Top Tier MMOs generally take longer to price drop, I would think it will follow similar trends to WoW.

Got the email only thought I would get a key to use on the site and thought that it was next weekend. I'm downloading now. I have wanted to give this a try.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']It's really Mediocre in my eyes. That's saying a lot considering I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I'll wait for the price drop instead of just dropping money on it as I usually do.[/QUOTE]

Really? How so?

They took a lot from WoW in my opinion but that's not to say they copied it, there's not a whole lot you can do that WoW hasn't already done since it's changed over the past like 6 years.

I enjoyed the beta overall, there's a few things I don't really like and I feel the combat currently feels kind of clunky and the UI needs work but it has quite a bit of potential. WoW was very rough around the edges when it first came out too so I have faith.

They did take quite a bit from WoW, but it's pretty impossible not to and that's not a bad thing at all. WoW has done so much right, so I would expect most MMO's to take notes from it.

I didn't think this was mediocre at all, it definitely exceeded my expectations and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm not really sure what you were expecting, Vulcan.

[quote name='tcrash247']They did take quite a bit from WoW, but it's pretty impossible not to and that's not a bad thing at all. WoW has done so much right, so I would expect most MMO's to take notes from it.

I didn't think this was mediocre at all, it definitely exceeded my expectations and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm not really sure what you were expecting, Vulcan.[/QUOTE]

I agree, at this point in the industry taking the best things from other games and implementing it into yours is never a bad thing. I've beta tested quite a few MMOs and this seemed like it was legitimately in beta build if not very close to final build where as others I've tested were crazy buggy, could barely run, and constantly disconnected me.

It may not even been a beta build as they advertise this was a server stress test but I still enjoyed it a lot.

I just received a key via a message from BioWare through the BioWare Social Network. I was to redeem the code before tomorrow at 11:59 pm, which I've already done.

According to the message, once the test date is set, I will receive an email from the SWTOR team with instructions on how to begin participating.

As of now, I'm luke warm for this game. KOTOR remains one of my favorite games of all time, but I've never really been a fan of MMORPGs. Plus, I'm much more of a console gamer and I'm not even sure my 2+ yr. old Macbook Pro will be able to run it.

Oh well, looking forward to giving it a shot nonetheless.

[quote name='Swift900']I just received a key via a message from BioWare through the BioWare Social Network. I was to redeem the code before tomorrow at 11:59 pm, which I've already done.

According to the message, once the test date is set, I will receive an email from the SWTOR team with instructions on how to begin participating.

As of now, I'm luke warm for this game. KOTOR remains one of my favorite games of all time, but I've never really been a fan of MMORPGs. Plus, I'm much more of a console gamer and I'm not even sure my 2+ yr. old Macbook Pro will be able to run it.

Oh well, looking forward to giving it a shot nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

http://www.swtor.com/preorder/faq#125521

Can I play Star Wars: The Old Republic on Mac OS or Linux?

Star Wars: The Old Republic is only available Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. For minimum specifications click here.

Don't think you will have to worry about your Mac.........

[quote name='beebs']does any1 know where you go to queue for the instanced PVP stuff? like Huttball, etc?[/QUOTE]

There's an icon around your map in the bottom right if I remember correctly. Then you just select "Queue solo" which puts you in the next available one.

[quote name='AK85']http://www.swtor.com/preorder/faq#125521

Can I play Star Wars: The Old Republic on Mac OS or Linux?

Star Wars: The Old Republic is only available Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. For minimum specifications click here.

Don't think you will have to worry about your Mac.........[/QUOTE]

I was aware that SWTOR is Windows only. Thanks to Bootcamp I'm able dual boot into Windows 7 on my MBP.

Thanks for linking the specs. It appears as though I should not have too much difficulty getting the game to play; however, minimum specs =/= optimal specs. I am still interested to see how well it will play on my machine.

Bioware just sent me a key on their forums(really phase two already? guess it's random and not earned, I have a popular stickyed thread in he ME section). might have to check this out.

[quote name='callandor']first person to quote me gets my beta key (which must be redeemed today), as i'm not interested.[/quote]

Did I do it!?!?! I'd like to get in the high level test pl0x!!!

EDIT: So uhhhh I guess if you were already in the prior weekend test you can't get in again? I'm not seeing any place to redeem codes.

EDIT2: Nevermind I found it, apparently some codes are for event 1 and some are for event 2??

Here is another code for the SWTOR stress tests weekend that I received via PC Gamer (dates for the weekend not yet released)

9C42-ZJV5-2TRN-K59E

Good luck and enjoy!

[quote name='Swift900']Here is another code for the SWTOR stress tests weekend that I received via PC Gamer

9C42-ZJV5-2TRN-K59E

Good luck and enjoy![/QUOTE]

Looks like thats for the Beta Event 1, which if I recall has already ended.

It looks like most if not all the codes going out are for the last event that already ended. The next weekend event is supposed to be the 25th to the 28th and will include everyone that signed up for testing prior to November 11. The testing period before that is for the full time testers i.e. not people who only got in during the weekend test.

That site that was posted one page back is only giving out beta even 1 codes and none of them work so I'm sure we are in 2.

[quote name='sendme']That site that was posted one page back is only giving out beta even 1 codes and none of them work so I'm sure we are in 2.[/QUOTE]

I got a beta key for Beta Event 1 after the last weekend beta on Monday or Tuesday and entered it on the website and it worked. I dunno, guess we'll find out next weekend.

I was in the last weekend beta, PRIOR to this current weekend we are in now.

There is no current weekend beta that's going on now as far as I'm aware, only the regular testing that the full timers are in, which I believe started on 11/16 or 11/17, there's a post in the testing boards about it.

Either way, I redeemed the code Callandor gave me prior to the deadline and I dont have anyway of installing the client again.

I Know there is another beta weekend event going on the 25th to the 28th which everyone can get in if they opted in for testing prior to November 11. I don't know what event Beta Event 1 is but I can't participate because I have no way of downloading the client again.

Was looking forward to this weekend's test but it's failing the Main Asset 1 install every single time. After it fails and I have to close the launcher, it deletes all the temp files it downloaded. All 13gb+ of them. I've downloaded the file 5 times now and had it do the same thing. The only fix on the forums/email I could get was to delete the main assets files and redownload... Seriously considering cancelling my preorder at this point.

So... I’ve been playing the stress-test beta since Friday morning and… well, let’s just say I’ve been “playing” it because I can barely attack without framerate issues.

The opening cinematics were MIND BLOWING, but the game itself runs terribly on my computer. And why? I can play Rift, WoW, Aion, new blockbuster PC releases, but not SWTOR?

I play on an Alienware M15x with:

2.0GHz Intel Core i7-920XM
4GB, 1,333MHz DDR2
1GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 260

So please, internet people, you’re my only hope. Any tips on getting this game to run without 7 FPS and stuttering? Without disappearing textures and generally crapiness?

Are you really getting 7 Frames Per Second using an actual tool that shows it?

Have you tried disabling Anti-Aliasing/Anti-Sopteric Filtering? What about Vertical Sync? Any other special options and made sure not to force options through nVidia's Control Panel?

getting frame rates in the teens after adjusting to barely above Doom quality - but it is a stress test they are over filling their severs to see what happens

Im not too worried to see what its like once they set up proper

[quote name='panzerfaust']It may be a WoW clone but it feels like the best thing since WoW.[/QUOTE]

I'm completely bored of WoW. Was really hoping this would be new and fresh. I think I'm just gonna skip it. I just don't feel compelled to keep playing it. Nothing grabs me. Quite the opposite.

I was reall into it when the first weekend test happend but only played maybe an hour this weekend. It will be one that I might pick up and get a game card from time to time. However I said the same for Rift and WOW when I quit playing WOW. I have yet to do so.

[quote name='Draekon']Are you really getting 7 Frames Per Second using an actual tool that shows it?

Have you tried disabling Anti-Aliasing/Anti-Sopteric Filtering? What about Vertical Sync? Any other special options and made sure not to force options through nVidia's Control Panel?[/QUOTE]

Well, no, I can't say for sure, but it definitely looks like 7fps. Or at least how it would have looked in WoW. I turned everything off and put every graphics option at its lowest to no avail. I'm worried that the game may not be optimized for laptops but people playing on much older, non-gaming machines have 40-60fps according to the official forums.

Then again, maybe everything will work come launch. But I would hate to waste my money on the preorder if it doesn't, you know?

[quote name='measureless']Well, no, I can't say for sure, but it definitely looks like 7fps. Or at least how it would have looked in WoW. I turned everything off and put every graphics option at its lowest to no avail. I'm worried that the game may not be optimized for laptops but people playing on much older, non-gaming machines have 40-60fps according to the official forums.

Then again, maybe everything will work come launch. But I would hate to waste my money on the preorder if it doesn't, you know?[/QUOTE]

Seems like it is all on your end, I know my friend who bought a budget laptop last Black Friday told me it is unplayable on it.

[quote name='measureless']So... I’ve been playing the stress-test beta since Friday morning and… well, let’s just say I’ve been “playing” it because I can barely attack without framerate issues.

The opening cinematics were MIND BLOWING, but the game itself runs terribly on my computer. And why? I can play Rift, WoW, Aion, new blockbuster PC releases, but not SWTOR?

I play on an Alienware M15x with:

2.0GHz Intel Core i7-920XM
4GB, 1,333MHz DDR2
1GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 260

So please, internet people, you’re my only hope. Any tips on getting this game to run without 7 FPS and stuttering? Without disappearing textures and generally crapiness?[/QUOTE]

You might need to update your drivers or try reinstalling them. This game has fairly lax requirements compared to games like Battlefield or Skyrim. I was reading somewhere where a person said they could get 30-40 fps running on max detail using a GTS 250. I know your card is mobile so that might be some of it, but it should be more than playable on that setup.

Still moving along and unfortunately the game is starting to feel a bit cheap to me, almost like some korean MMO. The early zones were cramped, the quest flow/writing was uninteresting, and the overall pacing and how things are introduced don't really hold your attention too well IMO. I'm still very interested in the game in general because it's Star Wars and it somewhat resembles a very good MMO that shall not be named -- but really, that said MMO did its early game PvE 100x better than ToR.

On the plus side, there's a bug that renders one plot-important character smaller than my foot.

You can't even see her in half of one cutscene because she's hidden behind the edge of a table. The camera just keeps panning to a seemingly empty chair.

Revan's kids are fucking weird.

well positives i'd say are the attack animations which are beautiful, and bioware has really got a knack for rendering a woman's ass these days.

The attack animations are good.

Shame my eyes are usually glued to my attack cooldowns.

fuck it, I'm just gonna replay KotOR 1 and 2. No way I'm gonna actually buy this game when it comes out. I'm not particularly experienced with MMORPGs, so The Old Republic feels like some bizarre simulacrum of a regular game.

This is acutally my first pc game so moving around is tough. Any suggestion on what layout I should use? Not even sure if I'm even using my keyboard right. But I like it so far, playing as the Bounty Hunter Class.

You'll get used to WASD movement fairly quickly, should eventually feel very natural. Remember that holding right-click on the screen will allow you adjust your direction as you move the mouse -- this is a very efficient way to move around.

Holding left-click will just move the camera, I usually just mess with that if I want to give myself some cinematic angles, because I'm like that.

[quote name='measureless']Well, no, I can't say for sure, but it definitely looks like 7fps. Or at least how it would have looked in WoW. I turned everything off and put every graphics option at its lowest to no avail. I'm worried that the game may not be optimized for laptops but people playing on much older, non-gaming machines have 40-60fps according to the official forums.

Then again, maybe everything will work come launch. But I would hate to waste my money on the preorder if it doesn't, you know?[/QUOTE]

Try turning everything up to it's highest settings. I know it sounds crazy, but I've heard that improves some people's performance.

After you make sure your drivers are fully up-to-date, of course.

[quote name='panzerfaust']You'll get used to WASD movement fairly quickly, should eventually feel very natural. Remember that holding right-click on the screen will allow you adjust your direction as you move the mouse -- this is a very efficient way to move around.

Holding left-click will just move the camera, I usually just mess with that if I want to give myself some cinematic angles, because I'm like that.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip! Moving around does feel much better using the mouse to turn.

I'm a total noob at pc games so any advice is very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back