Newegg: PS3/360 Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition - $19.99

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#121 ragingst0rm6

ragingst0rm6

Savior, Conquerer, Hero, Villain.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:01 AM

you guys SURE thats a manufacturer shrink job? It looks pretty cheap.. though i havent known newegg to do crap like that.

My main thing is: isn't the gold edition supposed to have a sliip cover? Im almost positive the 360 version had one, though im not sure about the ps3 version. Theres no slip cover with these.. was i just wrong or did they have a slip cover in the past? I feel like i got screwed

I can verify that the :ps3: version did have a slipcover in the past. It was gold-covered with Chris and Jill(?) on the front cover. The gold-color an unfortunate tendency to come off and reveal a silver base when peeling off annoying stickers. :cry:

EDIT: just to be clear, I did not order one from newegg on this particular deal.

Spoiler

#122 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:05 AM

ya i thought so.. so what the hell. Did we all get some used shit resealed?

#123 Alien Spider

Alien Spider

VIGILANTE JUSTICE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:55 AM

My main thing is: isn't the gold edition supposed to have a sliip cover? Im almost positive the 360 version had one, though im not sure about the ps3 version. Theres no slip cover with these.. was i just wrong or did they have a slip cover in the past? I feel like i got screwed

I remember seeing the Xbox 360 Gold version in stores, all the copies I've seen had slip covers.

#124 edh1017

edh1017

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:36 AM

The PS3 copy I bought from this deal is shrink-wrapped, no slip cover.

#125 Curlis

Curlis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:05 PM

Yea I bought the 360 version a year ago at walmart and it has a gold slip cover

#126 BFox549

BFox549

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:24 PM

I can also vouch for best buy selling the gold edition for the 360 with a slip cover. I saw it for 20 there too like 2 weeks ago

#127 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:10 PM

ya i thought so.. so what the hell. Did we all get some used shit resealed?

It's highly doubtful. Companies typically forgo the use of slip covers later in a product's life as a cost-cutting measure. If you still see a copy on store shelves with the gold cover, it's likely that it's been sitting there for a while.

The type of wrapping usually depends on what manufacturing plant the disc was produced at. Shrink-wrapping could also be another means to keep costs low.

#128 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:24 AM

hmmm so its a safe bet newegg isn't shipping us some used copies?

Did anyone get a copy from them with a slipcover or was it all just shrinkwrapped with no cover or y-fold?

Maybe i can swap these out with one from target or walmart or something. I just feel leery, thinking we got some used junk or something.

#129 Rodster

Rodster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:31 AM

The PS3 copy I got from them was shrink wrapped but looked absolutely brand new.

#130 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:34 AM

Yea I bought the 360 version a year ago at walmart and it has a gold slip cover

Same here, bought mine on BF in 2010 at BB for $19.99, including gold slipcover.

#131 Kenshindono

Kenshindono

I'm on a Boat!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2011 - 03:32 AM

anyone know any stores i can try to swap these out with? I tried Target and Walmart but no dice.. i was thinking MAYBE fry's but thats a bit of a drive for me. Dunno if BB still carries these

Im assuming these are probably ok, but it just seems shady to me and id rather have a 'real' version. It sounds like EVERYONE got a shrinkwrapped, non y fold, non slip cover version

#132 Yagami

Yagami

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:02 AM

third party vendors (that newegg buys from) will frequently out unneeded extras (to decrease overall weight/packing size.)

or the game had multiple print runs. happens all the time, exact packing materials change with later print runs (different type of shrinkwrap, different colored CD inserts for multiple disc games, different types of plastic cases used.) it's all about what's available and what's cheapest.

#133 snatcher33

snatcher33

Marry me Jenny!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:19 PM

My 360 copy I got from this deal had a slip cover....
Posted Image

#134 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:38 PM

I stopped down at my local Best Buy yesterday. They had a couple new copies of RE5 Gold for the PS3 on the shelves: no cardboard sleeves and shrink wrapped. The vast majority of the games in their used-game section had the y-fold wrapping. Using the type of wrapping as an indication to whether a game is used or not seems questionable when it comes to buying games from repeatable retailers.

#135 H22A

H22A

Happy trails, Hans.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:00 PM

Regarding slip covers on 360, the one I got from this deal (weeks ago iirc) had the gold slipcover. Oddly, as neat as it looks, the slip cover's opposite spine is blank gold color, no title printed on it.

#136 Rozz

Rozz

We Trippy Mane

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

For the ultra obsessive, the PS3 version actually had two different slip covers - one normal cover and another cover with the rather-annoying PS3 Move logo covering a portion of the box art. Personally though I could care less about slip covers and would rather just get the better deal. Some retailers also dispose of slip covers in order to fit the cases into security devices or later prints of the games get rid of them. If you're wondering if the game is used, just open it and check for yourself.