Wasteland 2 "pre-order" - $15 on Kickstarter

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#91 appleyum

appleyum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

I'm only going to support ones that I find worthy, didn't support double fine, because I don't like point and click adv. games, never have, if he would have said, any amount over $1.5 million and we'll start development on Psychonauts 2 and I woulda dropped dime in a second.

For this one, not only do I get a game that sounds like two games I like Fallout 1 and Crusader but I get a boxed copy and no drm digital copy, what was not to like there.

I wish double fine offered boxed version at $60 then I would have pledged more.

Now I am hoping they will have extra boxed version to sell after it's released

#92 ianoid

ianoid

5me77i.us!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

I'd pledge if I could be sure of an iPad or console version. Lame, I know. I don't play on computers.
Posted Image

#93 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

I'd pledge if I could be sure of an iPad or console version. Lame, I know. I don't play on computers.

There might be a tablet version if they get enough money, but don't look for a console version. The size of the audience for a console port wouldn't really justify the expense; moreover, the control that the Big 3 exert over software released for their consoles ensures that Fargo et al. are unlikely to bother trying to jump through their hoops. After all, the whole point of crowdsource funding this game was to ensure that the developers had ultimate control over the product, and if you can't put certain features in or must put others in because Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo demand it be that way, you can hardly say that you're not caving to publisher demands at that point.

#94 ElektroDragon

ElektroDragon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

So I pledged $50 to get a physical box and manual, like the good old days.

I also messaged inXile to create a PROPER Bard's Tale remake through Kickstarter. I urge you to do the same.

#95 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

New interview with Brian that's really excellent!

As far as a console version, he's said about 99% sure it won't happen, so don't count on it. iPad is a maybe, but would have to come later because he's making it for the PC fans that grew up on the old-school RPGs first and foremost. Hooray!! :applause:

#96 marsilies

marsilies

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

Brian Fargo has just announced that if they hit $2.1 million, Chris Avellone, Obsidian’s CCO, will join the design and writing team, and they'll get to use Obsidian’s tools for designing the game:
http://www.kickstart...-2/posts/199078

#97 marsilies

marsilies

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

The Kickstarter has broken $2 million.

New update with info on what will be added when they hit $2.1 million, $2.5 million, and $3 million.
http://www.kickstart...-2/posts/202023

Also of possible interest to Wasteland/Fallout fans is GOG is giving away the original Fallout for the next 48 hours:

Witcher dev giving away "legendary" PC RPG free on GOG.com on Thursday

Free game is Fallout 1
Link: http://www.gog.com/e...mecard/fallout/

#98 marsilies

marsilies

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:29 AM

InXile has announced a new all-digital rewards tier, of special interest to international customers that don't want to deal with shipping charges, customs or VAT:
http://www.kickstart...-2/posts/202818

Update #9: New Reward Tier Announced
Posted 24 minutes ago
As our Kickstarter continues to build momentum, we will keep focusing on how we can best deliver what our fans want. We've seen quite a few messages from our international fans expressing concern with the cost of shipping and physical goods relating to VAT and customs costs. For that reason, we opened up a purely digital pledge level at $55 that contains no physical items. You will get the digital copy of the game, digital soundtrack, digital novellas 1 and 2, digital concept art book and early beta access.

Also, InXile is taking Paypal donations on their site, of interest to international customers that can't use Amazon Payments on Kickstarter:
http://wasteland.inx....com/pledge.php

#99 marsilies

marsilies

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

They're reached $2.1 million, which means Chris Avallone/Obsidian will be involved in the project. Interview with Chris Avallone about what this involvement will be, and what he and his company will bring to the project:
http://www.rockpaper...on-wasteland-2/

Update #10:
http://www.kickstart...-2/posts/203680

..which included the first official concept art for the game (click on it for high-res):

Posted Image

#100 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

I could not give them my money fast enough when i found out about this.

#101 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:17 PM

I can't decide if I want to go in for the collector's edition or not.

Decisions, decisions.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#102 preston181

preston181

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

Is a console version, (disc-based or arcade game), planned? My PC is now residing in the closet, suffering from an issue with it's power supply/motherboard. If this comes to Xbox 360, I'll snag it up, especially for $15.

#103 blitztwn36

blitztwn36

hatersgunnahate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:28 AM

Is a console version, (disc-based or arcade game), planned? My PC is now residing in the closet, suffering from an issue with it's power supply/motherboard. If this comes to Xbox 360, I'll snag it up, especially for $15.

Negative - they said that no console version is planned since they want to spec it to the computer to maximize player experience on the compuer platform.

#104 motoki

motoki

The sun made me do it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:50 AM

Negative - they said that no console version is planned since they want to spec it to the computer to maximize player experience on the compuer platform.

With Obsidian being involved now I wouldn't rule a console version at some point out. I know Brian said no, but that was also in the beginning and I don't think he thought he was going to get as much money as he did.

That being said, if someone does not have an available PC to play it on and is set on only playing it on a console, I would not recommend giving money for the Kickstarter.

If the game ends up doing really well sales wise in both pre and post release I can't see them not wanting to do a console version, particularly if they end up using one of the game engines that Obsidian has used in recent years like Onyx or Gamebryo because those should be no big deal to port to consoles.

#105 MaelstromB

MaelstromB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:58 AM

Pledged $250 a few days ago. Can't pass up an autographed copy of the CE plus a digital copy and various other rewards! This game has already climbed to one of my most anticipated titles as I'm confident that it will turn out to be an amazing RPG, and one well worth the wait and entry price.

#106 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:21 AM

Is a console version, (disc-based or arcade game), planned?

Heresy.

#107 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:48 AM

There's no reason why it can't get a console version. The focus on PC is good for a small team but a port wouldn't hurt anything if they have more resources and time.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#108 teknomedic

teknomedic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:02 AM

Oh fine... I'm in at $15.

#109 marsilies

marsilies

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

New article:
Why InXile, Wasteland 2 are better off without a publisher

#110 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

With Obsidian being involved now I wouldn't rule a console version at some point out. I know Brian said no, but that was also in the beginning and I don't think he thought he was going to get as much money as he did.

That being said, if someone does not have an available PC to play it on and is set on only playing it on a console, I would not recommend giving money for the Kickstarter.

If the game ends up doing really well sales wise in both pre and post release I can't see them not wanting to do a console version, particularly if they end up using one of the game engines that Obsidian has used in recent years like Onyx or Gamebryo because those should be no big deal to port to consoles.

I don't know--I still don't see there being a large market on consoles for a turn-based tactical RPG that doesn't feature doe-eyed characters and have the words "final" and "fantasy" in the title.

#111 kube00

kube00

Grammar Hammer!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

Even though they reached their goal I kicked in $15

CAG TradeList
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge The Gamer's Lounge: All About video games!
Former EIC of Goozernation.com 

#112 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

The new goal is to surpass $3 million. If they do they are going to release mod tools so people can add on their own maps and stories to the game!

#113 motoki

motoki

The sun made me do it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

Meh I am still mulling over it, but the sticking point for me is the steep entry price for the beta. Double Fine gave beta access at the entry level of $15. I think $75 is too much to ask as the minimum to get beta access. It is going to be a long time before the final product is released and having more people in the beta actually benefits the developer since there's a much greater chance of finding more problems that way.

#114 loomis1975

loomis1975

Cell Block CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

$3 million will be pretty hard to reach in 68 hours left that the kickstarter has. They are a tad over $500,000 shy.

I too wish the $15 pledge would have beta access, but I probably would be too lazy to play it anyways. The last four or so betas I've been invited/signed up for, I've only played one past 30 minutes and that was Star Wars the Old Republic.

#115 Sharkey1337

Sharkey1337

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

Actually the minimum to get the Beta is the all digital $55 package. Basically you'd be paying for a full priced game that also comes with digital artbook, digital soundtrack, Novellas 1&2, beta, and digital copy of the game.

#116 appleyum

appleyum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

Meh I am still mulling over it, but the sticking point for me is the steep entry price for the beta. Double Fine gave beta access at the entry level of $15. I think $75 is too much to ask as the minimum to get beta access. It is going to be a long time before the final product is released and having more people in the beta actually benefits the developer since there's a much greater chance of finding more problems that way.

You prefer chapter experience or the full story experience? Personally, I wouldn't want to play the beta and ruin the whole entire experience for me, or try to influence them how the story will turn out.

Bummer 22 hrs left and sitting at $2.7 and 56k backers. I had hope that there were more RPG fans > Adventure fan. Would have been nice to see them with much bigger budget for cinematic

#117 motoki

motoki

The sun made me do it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

Actually the minimum to get the Beta is the all digital $55 package. Basically you'd be paying for a full priced game that also comes with digital artbook, digital soundtrack, Novellas 1&2, beta, and digital copy of the game.

It actually was $75 to start for the beta at one time. I even posed the question on the Kickstarter and Brian himself wrote back to me and confirmed $75 (at the time) was the min for beta. I see he must have updated it with the $55 level. I still think it's a bit much personally to ask as a min for beta access and I'm not really interested in digital extras.

You prefer chapter experience or the full story experience? Personally, I wouldn't want to play the beta and ruin the whole entire experience for me, or try to influence them how the story will turn out.

Since I hypothetically would be paying for something I would prefer something relatively soon over nothing until a long way off, especially given the fact that none of these projects are 100% guaranteed to go to completion. I'm not saying they won't but you never know. I'd feel better with sooner access to something than later.

Also, like I said before more people in the beta really does help the developer. It's not just some gift to withhold back for more money as some extra prize, it can actually be work sometimes for the player if you are approaching it from a tester mentality. I am actually one of the people who does test and report things in betas.

Anyway, unless he does an 11th hour change of heart on the beta access and lowers it the entrance fee for it, I am going to pass on this.

Oh and lastly don't count this project out for more funding yet since he may pull a Double Fine and let people continue to contribute via Paypal after the Kickstarter time has run out. Personally, I feel like this ultimately damages Kickstarters in the long term since deadline and exclusive need to mean something, but I expressed that opinion on their private forum and was mostly drowned out by the sea of people who think that Double Fine should continue to collect funds infinitely.

Also Brian may get some funds for Wasteland from other sources; we'll see.

Anyway, I will continue to keep an eye on this project and if it ends up looking promising I will probably buy the finished product down the road at some point.

#118 GrimmTrixX

GrimmTrixX

Finish Him!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

I hope this catches on personally. I mena yea its odd to fund a game being made, BUT if you get a copy of the final product for putting down a measely $15, for a game that will probably debut at twice that, it seems reasonable to me. when I get home from work tonight I'll throw down $15 as I absolutely love turn based games of any kind.

Here's hoping a kickstarter for a Gladius 2 is in the works somewhere. But knowing Lucasarts, probably not.

Edit: Also if their goal was $900,000 and they're at over 2 million... I think we're in good shape. I mean the game isn't going to be super amazing graphics like blockbuster hit games, but with already twice their initial investment goal, I think they're set.

Edited by GrimmTrixX, 16 April 2012 - 03:09 PM.
over 900,000!!!

XBL/PSN: GrimmTrixX
Currently Playing

:xb1: Dead Rising 3

:ps3: The Last of Us
:wiiu: Mario Kart 8
:3ds: Kirby Triple Deluxe

#119 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

Here's hoping a kickstarter for a Gladius 2 is in the works somewhere. But knowing Lucasarts, probably not.

Edit: Also if their goal was $900,000 and they're at over 2 million... I think we're in good shape. I mean the game isn't going to be super amazing graphics like blockbuster hit games, but with already twice their initial investment goal, I think they're set.

Gladius 2? Hell yea.

And seriously, 2.7 million is massive, and far more than they expected. This is gonna be old-school awesome.

#120 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

Bump with 11 hours to go and almost to 2.8 milllion, c'mon people, time to put down $15 for what's sure to be an AWESOME old-school RPG not seen since the likes of Fallout and PS:T!!