New PS3 model on the way (CECH-4001)? EDIT: Now with pics.

shrike4242

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1043 (100%)
Looks like we have a new model of the PS3 going through the FCC validation rounds.

New model numbers are DECH-4001x and DECH-S4001x from the FCC documentation. Probably would end up being CECH-4001 like the past revisions we've had.

Referencing articles:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/05/sony-playstation-3-fcc/
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/5/3138430/playstation-3-cech-4001x-sony-fcc
http://pocketnews.cocolog-nifty.com/pkns/2012/07/ps3cech-4000fcc.html (Japanese)

I guess we've gone from the fat to the slim to the super slim possibly?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if this thing can cook marshmallows cuz I know my two PS3 slims get pretty warm in the back by where the power supply is even though they're both out in the open with lotsa room on all sides. So I can only imagine if they shrink it any further in size that you may be able to cook a hamburger on the outer plastic case.:roll:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I wonder if this thing can cook marshmallows cuz I know my two PS3 slims get pretty warm in the back by where the power supply is even though they're both out in the open with lotsa room on all sides. So I can only imagine if they shrink it any further in size that you may be able to cook a hamburger on the outer plastic case.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Since the top is already at a slant, partner up with George Foreman and make the Lean, Mean, PS3 Gaming and Grilling Machine.

[quote name='shrike4242']
20120705_04.png
[/QUOTE]

Wrong pic there shrike. That's the original "fat" PS3's footprint image you have there lol.

An even smaller system? Who will even want to buy a bunch of their super thin PS3 Rail systems though? It will make fatter versions go down in price and since the PS4 is being rumored for around X-Mas 2013, I don't think a brand new model of the system sounds all that appealing.

[quote name='Nogib']Wrong pic there shrike. That's the original "fat" PS3's footprint image you have there lol.[/QUOTE]Well, crap. Time to fix that in the OP. :wall:

Should be interesting. I like seeing new hardware. I'll never forget opening the PS2 slim for the first time. I was like I knew it was small but this thing is tiny! Wonder how small they could get the PS3.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']An even smaller system? Who will even want to buy a bunch of their super thin PS3 Rail systems though? It will make fatter versions go down in price and since the PS4 is being rumored for around X-Mas 2013, I don't think a brand new model of the system sounds all that appealing.[/QUOTE]

Not sure you understand the purpose of hardware revisions. This benefits Sony because it will be cheaper to produce. This benefits us because there will likely be a price drop ($149.99-179.99 likely). This is also good for people who were waiting for the price to drop and/or who need to replace a broken/old PS3 Fat (or first Slim).

[quote name='SynGamer']Not sure you understand the purpose of hardware revisions. This benefits Sony because it will be cheaper to produce. This benefits us because there will likely be a price drop ($149.99-179.99 likely). This is also good for people who were waiting for the price to drop and/or who need to replace a broken/old PS3 Fat (or first Slim).[/QUOTE]

I was just thinking that I don't see the newest model being that big of a seller. It will end up boosting sales for the fatter versions because those prices will go down, but who wants to pay $250 for a super slim version when fatter versions are cheaper and PS4 is coming at some point soon.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I was just thinking that I don't see the newest model being that big of a seller. It will end up boosting sales for the fatter versions because those prices will go down, but who wants to pay $250 for a super slim version when fatter versions are cheaper and PS4 is coming at some point soon.[/QUOTE]you'd be surprised, they can't even keep the supply up for the demand of the PS2 or PSP & both systems have already been replaced. BC really pushes the demand & with the shear # of titles there will be a good demand for PS3 well into the late 2000's...Unless Sony pulls a true shocker & has BC for PS4.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316423

i don't think they do not need to make the ps3 any smaller. But i would be all for lower power consumption. that is always a good thing. Or maybe a faster blurry drive

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit'] It will end up boosting sales for the fatter versions because those prices will go down, but who wants to pay $250 for a super slim version when fatter versions are cheaper and PS4 is coming at some point soon.[/QUOTE]

Will I buy a super slim right away? Probably not without a price drop below what the 160 gig slim current goes for.

But I will probably pick up another slim if the retailers feel compelled to dump them at a cheap price to make way for the super slim.

cant be a new slim and if it is a smaller ps3 will it be called the anorexic? aside from adding bc to it and maybe diff colors theres not much they could do to get someone to buy another ps3.

[quote name='mitch079']Since the top is already at a slant, partner up with George Foreman and make the Lean, Mean, PS3 Gaming and Grilling Machine.[/QUOTE]
:lol::applause:Honestly, I think MS coulda made even more money from the 360 if they sold some of their earlier models as a combo grill and game console.;)
[quote name='Nogib']Wrong pic there shrike. That's the original "fat" PS3's footprint image you have there lol.[/QUOTE]
I was gonna say, I WISH the PS3 slim had that many vent holes underneath the front of the console and all around it.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I'm guessing that if there is a new smaller PS3 that it's going to have a power brick and (hopefully) rear USB ports.[/QUOTE]

That would be my guess too. An internal power supply takes up a LOT of real estate and makes the heat dissipation more of a problem.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I'm guessing that if there is a new smaller PS3 that it's going to have a power brick and (hopefully) rear USB ports.[/QUOTE]

Rear usb port would be great.. I would even be happy if there was still just Two. One in the front one in the back.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I wonder if this thing can cook marshmallows cuz I know my two PS3 slims get pretty warm in the back by where the power supply is even though they're both out in the open with lotsa room on all sides. So I can only imagine if they shrink it any further in size that you may be able to cook a hamburger on the outer plastic case.:roll:[/QUOTE]

I slow cooked a pork with the fat PS3. I also used it as a furance for the winter. Legend has it that when sony made the slim PS3, they sent all the fat ones to canada for heat.

I have a 120 gb slim right now and I plan on picking up a Wii-U this fall. I might consider picking up the "new" PS3 if the blu-ray drive is faster. That plus a 320 gb HDD and a sub $200 price point.

Wings of Redemption posted a video on this last night and I agree. When have you even been like, "Damn my PS3 is too big"? Idk why Sony doesnt spend some more time improving the system rather then shrinking it....

As mentioned before, it's not about Sony trying to make things smaller to go after a certain demographic... It's about Sony cutting their own costs. Also, these components that make up the PS3 get smaller over time anyway, why keep that same huge shell if you don't have to? I don't know why everyone thinks these console companies mostly do this to try and sell more systems every time one of them does this... I assure you this is not the case.

[quote name='Paco']I slow cooked a pork with the fat PS3. I also used it as a furance for the winter. Legend has it that when sony made the slim PS3, they sent all the fat ones to canada for heat.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't doubt it honestly. When I had a fat model PS3 upstairs in the wintertime it did seem to make my room about 3 to 5 degrees warmer.:)

Looks like it still has an internal power supply based on the power cord connector. Is that a lift up lid for the blu ray drive instead of the suction style drive in the PS3 now? It is hard to tell.

[quote name='GamingGator']Looks like it still has an internal power supply based on the power cord connector. Is that a lift up lid for the blu ray drive instead of the suction style drive in the PS3 now? It is hard to tell.[/QUOTE]
People are speculating it is similar to the PS2 slim. So yeah possible top loading blu-ray drive.

[quote name='htz']People are speculating it is similar to the PS2 slim. So yeah possible top loading blu-ray drive.[/QUOTE]

If so, it will be an interesting decision. Media furniture is not made to accommodate devices like that anymore. I could see them going to a standard tray drive, but a lift up lid seems like a bad move to me.

[quote name='GamingGator']If so, it will be an interesting decision. Media furniture is not made to accommodate devices like that anymore. I could see them going to a standard tray drive, but a lift up lid seems like a bad move to me.[/QUOTE]

It doesnt make much sense either. Why bother make the console smaller if it will just take up MORE room when you open the top to put a game in it.

I'm guessing if it's a top loader it's in an effort to make the console cheaper which is the real reason behind these refreshes. Looks a bit odd all around.

[quote name='jkam']I'm guessing if it's a top loader it's in an effort to make the console cheaper which is the real reason behind these refreshes. Looks a bit odd all around.[/QUOTE]
Yeah with each PS3 refresh Sony has removed something even if it doesn't make sense just to cut cost. For Example, the PS3 slims currently in store don't have that light showing you if there is a disc inside.

I hope it's fake since there are no rear USB port(s). How can they possibly have a new PS3 without rear USB ports? Have they forgotten that they made something called the Playstation Move?

I also don't see a place for the Hard-Drive, so I dunno.

Thanks!

Looks like a fake to me. That or one that was made specifically for South America. I've heard that the PS2 is still very popular down there, if that's the case it would make sense for them to try to drive up sales of the new(er) console by making it extremely cheap. And that thing looks cheap as fuck.

Doubting an American release as 16GB is measly for big mandatory installs on some of their games *cough* MGS4 *cough*

[quote name='KillerRamen']I hope it's fake since there are no rear USB port(s). How can they possibly have a new PS3 without rear USB ports? Have they forgotten that they made something called the Playstation Move?

I also don't see a place for the Hard-Drive, so I dunno.[/QUOTE]
The current slims(at least the 160gb model I have) have two front USB ports and none on the back. You might be thinking of the older fat model PS3's, since I don't think the PS3's have had rear USB ports since the first redesign.

As for the pictures, if they made it with an external power supply(no nuclear level heat emanating from the corner by the power plug anymore:whee:) and a top loading drive I'd probably buy another one. Although that mixture of shiny/glossy and that weird section with the PS3 logo is kind of a turn off for me. Hopefully if it's legit they'll go with an all matte finish like the current slims.

Man I wouldn't want a 16GB system at any price, rather pay more for one with a good sized hard drive. I like to download stuff and use my console, thank you. Does Sony still have that policy where you have to have double the hard drive space when you download something or did they finally do away with that? I wouldn't know, I have both a 320GB xbox 360 and PS3.

My xbox 360 power supply pretty much takes up all the space behind my TV stand, so I prefer the slim PS3 the way it is right now. Also top loader would not work with my entertainment system as was already mentioned.

Oh jesus I hope that's not the actual final design. Ridges? What year is this again? That god awful shape is as bad as ever too. Ugh. And is that the shiny fingerprint/dust magnet plastic on the edges? Just wow.

Maybe some better pics will come out and it wont look so bad. Or this will turn out to be a sick joke from Microsoft.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The current slims(at least the 160gb model I have) have two front USB ports and none on the back. You might be thinking of the older fat model PS3's, since I don't think the PS3's have had rear USB ports since the first redesign.

As for the pictures, if they made it with an external power supply(no nuclear level heat emanating from the corner by the power plug anymore:whee:) and a top loading drive I'd probably buy another one. Although that mixture of shiny/glossy and that weird section with the PS3 logo is kind of a turn off for me. Hopefully if it's legit they'll go with an all matte finish like the current slims.[/QUOTE]

The Playstation 3 has never had rear USB ports. What I'm getting at is that if they truly are re-designing the console then it would only make sense for them to add a rear usb port to accommodate the Playstation Eye. Kind of like how Microsoft added a rear port to the Xbox 360 S for the Kinect.

I was pretty sure that one of the fat models actually did have back USB ports on it. Either way, I have my PS3 out on a table off to one side of the stand I have my HDtv on and it's open air all around it. So space limitations are of no issue to me.

[quote name='knightsdwn']Reminds me of a Chinese knock off. The top part especially.

Although if it is legit, I'm guessing a ballpark price of $150.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I thought... and I honestly can't get over how hideous the system looks.

[quote name='knightsdwn']Reminds me of a Chinese knock off. The top part especially.

Although if it is legit, I'm guessing a ballpark price of $150.[/QUOTE]

I hope you're right about that price....that's reasonable.

bread's done
Back