Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#3001 Carlmundo

Carlmundo

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

Free code for anyone interested in the game,

Nightsky:
NTMG3-MKT07-RC40H

#3002 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

I don't have an answer, but I don't think this is silly at all. Regardless of the price, your time is worth something. Whether it's $3, $30, or even free, you still don't want to waste that time when you could be doing something more worthwhile or fun.

Thanks for the comment. It is easy to say one is simply too cheap (Though, most, if not all of us, qualify for that one.), but price isn't the only consideration for some CAG's.

In my case, my work hours have increased substantially in the last few months. (I'm sure some have noticed that I'm not posting nearly as often as when the Summer Sale was live.) So, currently, my time is more limited than ever when it comes to games.

#3003 otangz

otangz

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

Nightsky:
NTMG3-MKT07-RC40H

Someone else lurked it. Thanks for the giveaway though. Looks like a cool game.

#3004 Seraphym

Seraphym

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

However, the game received mixed reviews from CAG's in the past, and, with the hype mostly gone, I am wondering: Is the game fun and worth my time? ($3 aside, that is; I know a great many games are "worth it" for $3, but I'm more concerned with the fun factor.)

It's silly, I know, but, sometimes, I can't push myself off the fence.

You're not being silly at all. I'm not an expert on shooter games and I haven't finished it, but I think Metro has a great atmosphere and a good story. I've enjoyed every minute playing it and don't regret the $5 I spent on it at all. Just my 2 cents tho.

I made a collection for the greenlight games;

That's really nice, thanks. Maybe we should start a wiki-thread for CAG recommended greenlight games?

Nightsky:
NTMG3-MKT07-RC40H

I'm to slow, lol. I've been looking for Nightsky too. Thanks anyway Carlmundo!

#3005 Carlmundo

Carlmundo

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:30 PM

Next time I do a giveaway, I'll make it winnable by PM only so that a member gets it.

#3006 Financial Panther

Financial Panther

Qui audet adipiscitur

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

Ok, CAG's, I'm having the "on the fence" problem. I see Metro 2033 is a mere $3 on GMG with the "GMG25-1BW0K-K1A3G" Code. I've actually been waiting, somewhat foolishly, for a sub-$5 price, and this is excellent.

However, the game received mixed reviews from CAG's in the past, and, with the hype mostly gone, I am wondering: Is the game fun and worth my time? ($3 aside, that is; I know a great many games are "worth it" for $3, but I'm more concerned with the fun factor.)

It's silly, I know, but, sometimes, I can't push myself off the fence.

Metro 2033 is an AMAZING GAME from the guys who made Stalker series. If you have the GPU to run at high resolutions, the environment is visually astounding. Gameplay is interesting. Aa FPS, its okay with the innovation that your bullets are also currency. Compared to the Stalker series, its much more linear which is good if you want to have a game that you can play and ultimately finish.

Was really impressed with Metro 2033 and can't wait for its sequal "last light." At $3, its totally worth it.

PS: If you do get it, watch out for the "librarians"

#3007 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

I liked Metro 2033. If you enjoy games with the bleak Soviet atmosphere (such as with the Stalker series), this has it in spades. It's a very linear game though, walking you through the story. You can decide to stealth past an area or shoot your way through but you'll be seeing the same sights.

I never bothered to read up on everyone's criticisms so I can't respond directly to them. I know some people complained about the required systems to play the game but it ran fine for me with an i3 and a 9800+ GTX with medium settings and looked nice. Some of the mechanics can be frustrating (gas mask filters) and you can potentially get yourself stuck in a spot hurt for resources but that just felt like part of the setting to me. I didn't have any specific issues with AI or shooter mechanics but I'm not a stickler for those things unless they're really bad.

I bought it for $4.99 during one of its omnipresent sales and enjoyed it all the way through. If I'd had paid up to $20, I think I would still be saying the same; higher than that and I'd start having more nitpicks. But I'm a guy who didn't buy Skyrim until it was $25 so so take that $20 ceiling for what it is :D

I'd happily replay it at some point except I'm trying to clear a respectable amount of backlog. I plan on buying Last Light and may even pre-order it if GMG or someone runs a good pre-order sale.

#3008 zillionandnine

zillionandnine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

Every time Metro 2033 comes up on sale, I remember that I need to get around to playing it. :P

#3009 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

I thought Metro 2033 was mediocre, to be honest. Every level felt like it chained me to slow moving Russians from encounter to encounter, and the few times where it let me off the leash and got fun, it was basically Call of Duty with terrible stealth mechanics.

That said, the graphics are nice and the shooting isn't too bad for a while. I don't think you'll waste your time if you buy it just to play as much as you can tolerate.

Oh, and it's one of THOSE games. You know the sort, ones that you can't dislike without being assumed to have "not understood" it or been "too casual" for it so the conversation is always a little one-sided.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#3010 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

Today's deal is Cryostasis at 75% off ($3.25)

The North Pole, 1981... Alexander Nesterov is sent to investigate the 'North Wind', a nuclear ice-breaker now trapped in the Arctic Circle with its crew frozen to death. Alexander must fight the horrors contained within the frozen vessel and use his mysterious 'Mental Echo' ability to reveal the final moments of the dead crew.
Genre: Action

#3011 GoJays2025

GoJays2025

I like cake.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

Cryostasis is a very underrated game, and I highly recommend it. However, you might be better off waiting for Amazon's 1C bundle since it's 'cheaper' (on a per-game basis).
Get $2 after you spend $2 on Green Man Gaming by registering with my link. Thanks! :D

#3012 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:32 PM

It's a very, very, slow game. Think of a very slow movie with a lot of flashbacks that takes while to make sense. If you like wondering around clueless as to why, you'll have fun.

#3013 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:55 PM

I thought Metro 2033 was mediocre, to be honest.

Between this and SR3, I think the take-away is that you and I shouldn't buy one another video games for Christmas :lol:

#3014 The Assembler

The Assembler

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

Bunny Must Die is a freeware game, if anyone's curious. I think it has Japanese menus, but that doesn't matter.

#3015 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

I loved Metro 2033, bought it when it first came out for $35 and felt it was worth it. It is a very atmospheric game and is done up great. Weapons act like how you'd expect being they are very old and not well maintained and in many cases built from scratch, same with ammo. Also having to conserve ammo because it is your currency is nice as you can't just spray and pray and have to go into each fight tactically. It is a linear game, but it is done very well and doesn't take away from it at all.

#3016 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

Bunny Must Die is a freeware game, if anyone's curious. I think it has Japanese menus, but that doesn't matter.

No it isn't. It's no more freeware than the Touhou games are.

Between this and SR3, I think the take-away is that you and I shouldn't buy one another video games for Christmas :lol:

Hey, I think both games are good for $5-10 for someone who doesn't need all his games to be the best (And I don't mean that in a condescending sense. I mean that in the sense that most of you, MYSELF INCLUDED would fall into that category.). I had fun at times with both games but both left me with strong negative impressions as well.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#3017 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

I'd like to thank you all for pushing me off the fence - I went ahead and grabbed Metro 2033. In addition, I finally activated my $2.00 credit, which will also apply to the winner of my "First to Send Me a GMG Referral Link Gets the Other $2.00 Credit" Contest: Mr. Ochentay4.

So, Ochentay4, if you're still around these parts, enjoy your extra $2.

#3018 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

Friendly Neighborhood Lurker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

I made a collection for the greenlight games...

Upvoted, thanks. :applause:

#3019 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

Friendly Neighborhood Lurker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:54 PM

Indie Gala's Twitter:

"#Indiegala9 will come soon in the next few days... FULL of great Steam gems!"

#3020 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:59 PM

MikeUFC should post his Cryostasis SteamRecommendation here. If he doesn't by later tonight, I might.

I haven't played my Amazon-bought copy yet, and I won't be double-dipping on Steam as there's no achievements.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#3021 Carlmundo

Carlmundo

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:02 PM

Indie Gala's Twitter:

Well, if they're great then count me in!

#3022 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

Indie Gala's Twitter:

If they include a game that's half as good as Sacred Gold then this will be a winner. :bouncy:

MARS

#3023 golfer

golfer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:35 PM

Rat King Entertainment GbR Pitman Mac PC
QLJ6I-5EM5X-SUUZH-LUQ71-O4HDN Universal

Sacred gold steam$4H6HY-MBV9C-FNRDM

Space empires v steam$4IZEZ-DK260-34JQX

Star wolves steam$42EKP-MA0KQ-M5FV0

Not to interested in sacred gold myself. But you reminded me I had a key for it. There's a few others too, just codes I got in bundles and have no use for. Enjoy!

#3024 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

Not to interested in sacred gold myself. But you reminded me I had a key for it. There's a few others too, just codes I got in bundles and have no use for. Enjoy!

Pitman already taken, might be best to do these through PMs so you don't get people snatching them up without saying anything.

#3025 Jokerkun890

Jokerkun890

Jokerness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

Grabbed Pitman, thanks.

Edit:
@above: I was in the midst of signing in to say thanks.

jokerkun890.png

joker-kun890.png

#3026 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

Grabbed Pitman, thanks.

Just beat me to it, I think.

#3027 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:45 PM

Sacred Gold is pretty good.
If you like Diablo 2, you'll probably like this...

#3028 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:48 PM

Grabbed Pitman, thanks.

Edit:
@above: I was in the midst of signing in to say thanks.

While my comment was somewhat aimed, I've noticed that most giveaways such as those are lurked and many people don't say anything.

#3029 Jokerkun890

Jokerkun890

Jokerness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:49 PM

While my comment was somewhat aimed, I've noticed that most giveaways such as those are lurked and many people don't say anything.

Oh, I know. I was just letting you know I'm not one of the assholes, lol. ;)

jokerkun890.png

joker-kun890.png

#3030 golfer

golfer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

Wow, didn't think that would generate that much interest. I've dropped a couple other codes and two CAG's got them. Im just happy if someone can enjoy them and they don't go to waste. A thanks is appreciated but I understand some may get lurked. I might do the PM thing next time but just don't want to get a bunch of PMs. anyway, enjoy the games.