Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#4261 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

I paid $15 fucking dollars for it and I know I did not send it away as a gift because it's the only fucking way I would have a copy of Torchlight 1 in my account. How does one explain this and why did this happen? I am fucking pissed now.

Silly question - could you ask them who you traded it to? Or could you check your gifting history to see where it was traded to?

#4262 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

I paid $15 fucking dollars for it and I know I did not send it away as a gift because it's the only fucking way I would have a copy of Torchlight 1 in my account. How does one explain this and why did this happen?

Friends don't let friends trade on Steam drunk?

#4263 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

Silly question - could you ask them who you traded it to? Or could you check your gifting history to see where it was traded to?

I asked them who claimed the code and where my copy of TL1 came from. I wanna see their explanation to how I got Torchlight 1 because I already owned the disc boxed copy of the game, which is why I have not bought it on Steam. It's not even on my trade history that the game was traded.

Friends don't let friends trade on Steam drunk?

There is no history of the code even being traded in my transactions history. What I do know is I went in on a 4 pack. I got two copies, one for me, one for my GF from my friend which I traded to her (my one friend traded me two copies). I then used one, gave the other one to my GF. She has TL2, I don;t. I have TL1 from the preorder bonus though.

Edited by Sir_Fragalot, 01 October 2012 - 08:51 PM.

Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#4264 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

There is no history of the code even being traded in my transactions account.

Steam won't track sending a gift and only tracks actual trades through their client.

#4265 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

Not sure if anyone's pointed this out yet, but GreenManGaming has a new 25% off coupon (GMG25-EVFWS-4Z4ZN) that works on Worms: Revolution

http://www.greenmang...rms-revolution/

This not only activates on Steam but includes a Steam copy of Worms: Armageddon. So you get both Worms games for $11.25

#4266 Outinthedark

Outinthedark

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

Steam won't track sending a gift and only tracks actual trades through their client.

False. You can check gift redemption status within the "Pending Gifts" tab at the top right and checking "Gift History".

http://steamcommunit...y#pending_gifts

Wow people actually have the Steam ID of "YOURID" and "YOURIDHERE".

76561198014930049.png

#4267 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

There is no history of the code even being traded in my transactions history. What I do know is I went in on a 4 pack. I got two copies, one for me, one for my GF from my friend which I traded to her (my one friend traded me two copies). I then used one, gave the other one to my GF. She has TL2, I don;t. I have TL1 from the preorder bonus though.

So you weren't the purchaser of the 4-pack? Cuz if you were that would clear things up real quicklike. In any case, Steam support could be more helpful, if they just gave you a detailed explanation in the first place.

False. You can check gift redemption status within the "Pending Gifts" tab at the top right and checking "Gift History".

Can you see that if you don't have an active gift pending? I can't find anything that shows my history of gifts and pack-splits since before the trading feature was implemented. I could swear it was possible to see that history before.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#4268 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

So you weren't the purchaser of the 4-pack? Cuz if you were that would clear things up real quicklike. In any case, Steam support could be more helpful, if they just gave you a detailed explanation in the first place.

Can you see that if you don't have an active gift pending? I can't find anything that shows my history of gifts and pack-splits since before the trading feature was implemented. I could swear it was possible to see that history before.

I guess the only way to find out is to gift me a copy of Dishonored so you can have a pending gift.

http://steamcommunit...y#pending_gifts

Wow people actually have the Steam ID of "YOURID" and "YOURIDHERE".

This worked for me, even with no gifts pending. Did it in the client if that makes a difference.

Edited by Preedatore, 01 October 2012 - 09:40 PM.

#4269 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

Friendly Neighborhood Lurker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

Not sure if anyone's pointed this out yet, but GreenManGaming has a new 25% off coupon (GMG25-EVFWS-4Z4ZN)

Bus Simulator 2 is too hot to miss, according to GreenManGaming and the coupon applies! ;)

#4270 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

Bus Simulator 2 is too hot to miss, according to GreenManGaming and the coupon applies! ;)

Wow games have come a long way, graphically, since...... 2010?!?!?!?!?!

I'd buy this if I could redeem it on Steam.

#4271 Financial Panther

Financial Panther

Qui audet adipiscitur

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

http://kotaku.com/59...omeless-kittens

Any way to make sure this publisher never get their game greenlit? Buying votes under the guise of donating to charity is pretty low.

#4272 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:13 PM

No I wasn't. What happened was my friend hosted, but since I was paying him for 2 copies of the game (one for me and one for my GF), he gave me two copies. Steam must recognize that I have traded one to my GF which is fine but he doesn't compute that I registered one. I am waiting to hear that yes the person traded was my gf and then I can try and clear up that my copy is redeemed, Steam did not give me it.

It's more of a principal fact now because I would gladly give Runic $20 extra for Torchlight 2.
Posted Image

#4273 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:15 PM

Any way to make sure this publisher never get their game greenlit? Buying votes under the guise of donating to charity is pretty low.

If Steam reads this story, I am sure they will be banned from being greenlit. There has to be some rule against buying votes.
Posted Image

#4274 Blade

Blade

Adolescent Genetically Altered Shinobi Terrapin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

This is what they said:

If Edge of Space is approved by October 15, 2012 through Greenlight, Reverb Publishing will donate $5000 to the Humane Society, which will go towards providing necessary care and safety to homeless cats. However, if the game doesn't get approval, that money will disappear, like a puff of smoke in the uncaring wind, leaving poor kitties to survive in the harsh elements, be placed in harm's way and possibly scheduled for euthanasia. The challenge is out there, and for a simple "yes" vote on Steam's Greenlight consumers can actively take a role in saving the lives of kitties. So, do your part, save some cats, and see a great space sandbox adventure get onto Steam's platform. It's a win-win!

And after all the negative press about this idiotic comment, they followed up with this:

dougintwainharte 8 minutes ago
I challenge anyone else on this board to make a donation to the Humane Society, I committed $5000, and we requested a vote of YES for the game. If anyone did their homework you would know we have made a variety of donations to animal organizations. if you don't want to vote for the game I fully respct that, if times are tough and money us tight a "yes" vote would be greaatly appreciated, provided the company continues to do well, we will continue to fund and support a number of animal organizations, either way its a win - win for the kitties. (Lastly, does anyone really think that that we were not going to make the $5000 donation, come on folks, seriously? I've been in the industry for 20 years, I remember when it was fun, lighten up a bit and appreciate the fact that a great organization like the Humane Society is getting a ton of attention and a nice contribution) Doug Kennedy, Reverb Publishing.

Nobody is going to vote for a bunch of jackasses who make it sound like we're killing kittens because we don't vote for their fucking game.

Keep posting this shit around to help spread the word. Post on the Steam forums and contact Steam Support. It takes maybe ten minutes, and you can get these douches banned from selling games on Steam.
Earn $10 instantly with Groupon!

We as a community feel that it would be best if you didn't trade on here anymore. Despite your 350 positive transactions, I'm deactivating your account on 99Gamers because you offend me. I'm unrelatable, give poor customer service, and am now taking away your invested time and money because I don't like you.

Best,
Brandon, Owner of 99Gamers.com

#4275 Financial Panther

Financial Panther

Qui audet adipiscitur

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:20 PM

If Steam reads this story, I am sure they will be banned from being greenlit. There has to be some rule against buying votes.

Don't think "buying" votes its against the rule because the Postal 2 guys (see my signature) :lol: is giving away their game for good PR and a chance to get greenlit.

The PR for this publisher should be fired for incompetence.

People are blowing that out of proportion. They will donate 5,000 if the game gets greenlit, if it doesn't they won't (or according to them still will). So they had a funny way of explaining it. No need to get your panties in a bunch. Yes, what they say is true. The less money you give to certain organizations the more likely a poor animal or human will die due to not getting the food, care, etc. that they need. Facts of life. People just like to get up in arms for no reason and project their own guilt.

Which is why I think they should get a new PR (or someone who can do a better job). The Press Release and the "donate to charity if greenlit" is arguably horribly written. The "charity" feels forced and doesn't add anything to the game the developers are trying to sell to gamers. I know less about the game but I "know" that I am less likely to support it due to this dumb stunt. There are hundreds of games that are earning their votes through the merits of the game itself, not because the developers made some pledge to charity that (according to their original press release) will withhold unless the game gets greenlit before a certain date.

Edited by voken, 01 October 2012 - 11:44 PM.

#4276 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:24 PM

People are blowing that out of proportion. They will donate 5,000 if the game gets greenlit, if it doesn't they won't (or according to them still will). So they had a funny way of explaining it. No need to get your panties in a bunch. Yes, what they say is true. The less money you give to certain organizations the more likely a poor animal or human will die due to not getting the food, care, etc. that they need. Facts of life. People just like to get up in arms for no reason and project their own guilt.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#4277 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:39 PM

Remember the advice you received months ago about not picking fights with everyone on CAG?

Just a reminder.

There's a difference between picking a fight and trying to defend someone who was needlessly insulted.

So according to you it's ok to take all you can as long as you thank the person for it? Awesome. Being polite and courteous means allowing others to also enjoy the giveaways, you're offered a number of them then take just one, don't be greedy.

Also, calling out someone on calling out someone makes you look stupid. Grow up.

Yes, because taking two keys that are worth maybe $0.50 each is being "greedy". Not to mention it's funny how you didn't say anything about the guy who "took the rest". Why? Probably because he has been here for three years. That makes all the difference, right?

I don't think being greedy is a good thing. Someone shouldn't hoard keys for themselves. That said, taking two extremely cheap keys amongst many is fine. In fact, newer members have more use for cheap/free keys because they're usually new to Steam and don't have many games, from one perspective.

It's just annoying to see a "veteran" CAG piss on a newbie for something as completely asinine and minor as that. It's juvenile and rude. Am I being the same way? Pretty much; Mac probably didn't even see your post, so it was no harm no foul, but it bugs me when people show that elitist attitude, like people who happened to make an account here a year or two earlier are more entitled to things. We hang out on this forum to find deals and make friends, not attack each other (which I've admitted done to you as well) and create an elitist social structure.

But I'm just talking shit as well, so what's the use. Excuse me for trying to defend someone who did nothing wrong.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#4278 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

I think the advice was to learn how to let things go/slide. Even if you feel you are in the right or "defending" someone.

What we have now is 2+ pages of pointless argument clogging up this thread when we'd only have one unnecessary insult if you just learned to ignore things.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#4279 Financial Panther

Financial Panther

Qui audet adipiscitur

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:19 AM

I think the advice was to learn how to let things go/slide. Even if you feel you are in the right or "defending" someone.

What we have now is 2+ pages of pointless argument clogging up this thread when we'd only have one unnecessary insult if you just learned to ignore things.

I thought the point of having an internet forum was to have pointless arguments with an anonymous person miles away from me? (or to join a hate bandwagon against a publisher for a publicity stunt :lol:

Was I taught wrong? Damn you American education system! (shake fists)

EDIT: on related noted, learned that "damn" is not censored at CAG

#4280 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:33 AM

Agreed!

Now, will XCOM and Natural Selection 2 release already?! I am getting so antsy to play these!

#4281 vince_carter

vince_carter

what's a panini

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:10 AM

Agreed. People are way too sensitive. But their game looks like shit so I didn't vote for it anyway.

Hand__Of__God.png

#4282 Financial Panther

Financial Panther

Qui audet adipiscitur

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:14 AM

Agreed. People are way too sensitive. But their game looks like shit so I didn't vote for it anyway.

Interesting. Either I've been a puritan or haven't been paying attention to the CAG censors.

Testing:

ass, balls, cocksucker, cunt, Fuck, motherfucker, piss, shit, tits. :booty:

EDIT: good to know (yes, I'm sometimes juvenile) :D

#4283 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:16 AM

Earlier this thread I said Orbitron Revolution was a good game.

I was mistaken in this assumption. I officially retract this statement.

I apologize for any inconvenience.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#4284 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:20 AM

Interesting. Either I've been a puritan or haven't been paying attention to the CAG censors.

Testing:

ass, balls, cocksucker, cunt, Fuck, motherfucker, piss, shit, tits. :booty:

EDIT: good to know (yes, I'm sometimes juvenile) :D

I always understood that as a video game inside joke instead of actual censorship. I believe we're free to say what we want as long as we follow the other rules.

#4285 Financial Panther

Financial Panther

Qui audet adipiscitur

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:25 AM

I always understood that as a video game inside joke instead of actual censorship. I believe we're free to say what we want as long as we follow the other rules.

Didn't realize the inside joke. Been to other forums that completely censor those "Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television"

#4286 Jokerkun890

Jokerkun890

Jokerness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:31 AM

I agree with Fox. Furthermore, judging by this:

Lastly, does anyone really think that that we were not going to make the $5000 donation, come on folks, seriously? I've been in the industry for 20 years, I remember when it was fun, lighten up a bit and appreciate the fact that a great organization like the Humane Society is getting a ton of attention and a nice contribution) Doug Kennedy, Reverb Publishing.

I honestly think he's telling the truth. From the beginning it seemed like one of those things where even if they don't get greenlit, we would have gotten something like, "Don't worry people, we will still save the kittehs." It seems like they may have been too focussed on that punchline and overlooked the tastefullness of the actual joke.

I do agree with voken as well though, they should get someone better on PR. Something that they thought was a harmless joke (which it is IMO) has unfortunately offended alot of people. Whether their offence is legitimate or not doesn't matter, at least when you're trying to make money on your game (by getting it on Steam.)

That said, I am sure they feel more comfortable making the joke because they have given to charities involving animals, and probably care alot about them. Unfortunately the average joe may not share that comfort.

/useless post off

jokerkun890.png

joker-kun890.png

#4287 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:34 AM

Didn't realize the inside joke. Been to other forums that completely censor those "Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television"

I stand by this... If it is an actual word and has a real meaning beyond the obscene it should probably not be censored. I mean the word could come up in a conversation and it could be for its real meaning and wasn't being used in a demeaning or harmful way. But then again I also agree with some other countries broadcasting allowing them to swear on TV later into the night. But then again us in America get to see people getting killed... a lot.

For example the word "class", and anything with class in it, was censored at Gamespot.com and, I'm not sure if it still is, while I can see how it could be harmfully used it seems to be quite vital when talking about video games.

And back to something game related... Anyone that was dismissing Dark Souls here it some information for you. The game, with a patch and mods, is capable of running at any resolution (and a massive amount of down-sampling), at 60 frames per second, has a mouse fix that makes it apparently playable with one, and can have those annoying xbox 360 button prompts replaced with either keyboard or ps3 icons. Oh yeah, it also has its own Nexus.

I know some may look at this with disdain because you have to use mods and patches to make it enjoyable; and I would say you really don't... it will just be blurry and require you to use a controller. Well you also have to use mods to make any Bethesda game's UI not fucking horrible in terms of size, except Morrowind. So I leave it at that.

#4288 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

couch slave

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:46 AM

I know, consider me shut up. If it was just a stupid insult thrown at me, that would be one thing, but it's different when someone is getting picked on for doing nothing wrong. The solution is "Let the veteran CAG be a jerk to the newbie." Alright.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#4289 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:06 AM

So after about a few days of not having Torchlight 2, I finally got in touch with the hoster of the 4-pack. Apparently I found a major bug in Steam. So my copy of Torchlight 2 the copy I redeemed the preorder with, was sent to him and not me. He didn't know until he opened his inventory when I asked him about it.

I am just happy.
Posted Image

#4290 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:13 AM

So after about a few days of not having Torchlight 2, I finally got in touch with the hoster of the 4-pack. Apparently I found a major bug in Steam. So my copy of Torchlight 2 the copy I redeemed the preorder with, was sent to him and not me. He didn't know until he opened his inventory when I asked him about it.

I am just happy.

Lesson to be learned: Check with the host.

Must have been a fluke since I haven't heard of a big uproar over TL2 pre orders not redeeming right. Otherwise, Kotaku would have been all over it.