Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#5011 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

Off topic, but I saw this at another forum I go to and I thought of you Fox.
Talk about a bad taxidermy
Posted Image

Wow... lol... when I die, please just let me rest in peace :)

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get Assassin's Creed III, Bioshock Infinite, NBA 2K14 or other games for $1 (Steam):  http://www.cheapassg...r-1/?p=11692782

#5012 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

Talk about a bad taxidermy

Spoiler

It is only bad if that wasn't the goal

#5013 The Assembler

The Assembler

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

See, high chaos/low chaos endings just reinforces the fact the game should be enjoyable either way. I'm having fun so far, but it just feels like a tweaked version of Skyrim to me. Not necessarily a bad thing, but at the same time for me I wish the game had a distinct feel to me rather than feeling like the tweaked the other game, added a different theme and stealth elements, and shipped it out.

Skyrim's an open world RPG. The idea of level design barely exists in Skyrim. The same cannot be said about a game like Deus Ex, or Dishonored, where the different paths a player can take is one of the main draws. Have you just not played the game very long?

#5014 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

I think this a poor excuse for game play that could be better. If there is only one "right" way to play a game then this "choice" of playing it however you want is just an illusion. We're not talking about a game that just drops you off with no clue on what to do. The game starts out specifically tutoring you on weapons and weapon use. So they do hold hands, but we're supposed to do the opposite of what they teach us? In fact, I felt the stealth was minimal in the tutorial. I think the game could have just been designed better to highlight the benefits/importance of stealth. As it is, it just feels like you are given a "choice" but not really.

They teach you how to use your skills/items/powers, it never tells you you have to use them. I know how to do a drop down assassination from the tutorial popping up when I was looking down on someone in the Jail level, yet I never have done the drop down assassination. Right after you get out of your cell and come to the guard with his back to you (if you even waited till they finished their conversation and broke apart from their group) was a tutorial on how to do a nonlethal takedown as well.

The game has to have some tutorials built into it because I doubt most of the people that play games today could even play the game otherwise (this is NOT a jab at you, but the general gamer nowadays and isn't directed to you whatsoever). It has to cater some to the masses, otherwise it probably wouldn't even be made unless it was crowdfunded. So yes, you are right there are things that they do, but also most wont even think to question if they can do something else besides kill because they are so use to how games are now.

This article actually hits on a lot of things despite its title.
http://www.vg247.com...doing-it-wrong/

#5015 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

Skyrim's an open world RPG. The idea of level design barely exists in Skyrim. The same cannot be said about a game like Deus Ex, or Dishonored, where the different paths a player can take is one of the main draws. Have you just not played the game very long?

I played it for a day and am playing it more today. I don't really feel Skyrim is truly "open world" because you can't truly play it however you want and progress any story lines.

They teach you how to use your skills/items/powers, it never tells you you have to use them. I know how to do a drop down assassination from the tutorial popping up when I was looking down on someone in the Jail level, yet I never have done the drop down assassination. Right after you get out of your cell and come to the guard with his back to you (if you even waited till they finished their conversation and broke apart from their group) was a tutorial on how to do a nonlethal takedown as well.

The game has to have some tutorials built into it because I doubt most of the people that play games today could even play the game otherwise (this is NOT a jab at you, but the general gamer nowadays and isn't directed to you whatsoever). It has to cater some to the masses, otherwise it probably wouldn't even be made unless it was crowdfunded. So yes, you are right there are things that they do, but also most wont even think to question if they can do something else besides kill because they are so use to how games are now.

This article actually hits on a lot of things despite its title.
http://www.vg247.com...doing-it-wrong/

You know what, I get what you are saying now. I am programmed that if a game tells me "Press x to do y" I just naturally do what it tells me because I assumed it was the tutorial and that is what I was supposed to do. Especially when it presents in a scenario where doing said action would be beneficial. I must have missed the tutorial on a non-lethal take down doing all my killing. That said, I would consider this poor game design. I guess others can see it as "cool" and as allowing you freedom to do what you want. To me, it feels like the game sets you up for one thing and then you only really get the other option in a non-intuitive way. I don't necessarily want my hand held through out the game, but I would prefer a more clarity in the beginning as to the two basic options of gameplay one can pursue and the consequences of each so I can make a conscious decision on how to choose to play it.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get Assassin's Creed III, Bioshock Infinite, NBA 2K14 or other games for $1 (Steam):  http://www.cheapassg...r-1/?p=11692782

#5016 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

You know what, I get what you are saying now. I am programmed that if a game tells me "Press x to do y" I just naturally do what it tells me because I assumed it was the tutorial and that is what I was supposed to do. Especially when it presents in a scenario where doing said action would be beneficial. I must have missed the tutorial on a non-lethal take down doing all my killing. That said, I would consider this poor game design. I guess others can see it as "cool" and as allowing you freedom to do what you want. To me, it feels like the game sets you up for one thing and then you only really get the other option in a non-intuitive way. I don't necessarily want my hand held through out the game, but I would prefer a more clarity in the beginning as to the two basic options of gameplay one can pursue and the consequences of each so I can make a conscious decision on how to choose to play it.

At least we are on the same page now :D

That nonlethal takedown tutorial shows up right when you go up to the first guard after getting out of your cell. The catch is (and I'll agree that it is poorly designed because obviously people can and will miss it as we found out with you) you have to wait for the guards to finish their conversation and break apart from their group. Then with the guard with his back to the door that leads to the area with the cells when you approach him crouched down the tutorial pops up for a nonlethal takedown.

Oddly enough, first thing I did when I got out of my cell was crouch to make less noise and stayed hidden waiting for the guards to separate so I could dispatch them easier, it didn't even occurred to me to just go and kill them right away LOL.

Talk about totally different mindsets we have on that hahha

#5017 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

Does anybody here own Blood Bowl Legendary Edition? Supposedly if you own that, you can buy Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition for $10. Blood Bowl: CE was just released today and has $30 price tag if you don't own Blood Bowl: LE.

So basically what I want to know is, if you own Blood Bowl: LE, does it let you buy Blood Bowl: CE for $10 even if you're buying it as a gift? If so, you could potentially hook other people up with Blood Bowl: CE for $10 instead of the $30 price.

#5018 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

At least we are on the same page now :D

That nonlethal takedown tutorial shows up right when you go up to the first guard after getting out of your cell. The catch is (and I'll agree that it is poorly designed because obviously people can and will miss it as we found out with you) you have to wait for the guards to finish their conversation and break apart from their group. Then with the guard with his back to the door that leads to the area with the cells when you approach him crouched down the tutorial pops up for a nonlethal takedown.

Oddly enough, first thing I did when I got out of my cell was crouch to make less noise and stayed hidden waiting for the guards to separate so I could dispatch them easier, it didn't even occurred to me to just go and kill them right away LOL.

Talk about totally different mindsets we have on that hahha

Yeah, I was thirsting for blood apparently because first thing I did was grab a knife and stabby stabby stabby. I also ended up with a gun somehow and shot a guard. So talk about opposite spectrum. I'll try a more gentlemanly approach from here on out to see how the game feels.

#5019 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

Does anybody here own Blood Bowl Legendary Edition? Supposedly if you own that, you can buy Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition for $10. Blood Bowl: CE was just released today and has $30 price tag if you don't own Blood Bowl: LE.

So basically what I want to know is, if you own Blood Bowl: LE, does it let you buy Blood Bowl: CE for $10 even if you're buying it as a gift? If so, you could potentially hook other people up with Blood Bowl: CE for $10 instead of the $30 price.

Yes and yes. Hit me up on steam.

#5020 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

Yeah, I was thirsting for blood apparently because first thing I did was grab a knife and stabby stabby stabby. I also ended up with a gun somehow and shot a guard. So talk about opposite spectrum. I'll try a more gentlemanly approach from here on out to see how the game feels.

You got the gun from the dead guard, they all have one pretty much :D

#5021 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

Thanks for the offer, but frankly I was just asking out of curiosity. I'm not all that interested in the Blood Bowl games. Not even for $10.

Maybe somebody else might be interested though.

#5022 Flowette

Flowette

Level 56 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for the offer, but frankly I was just asking out of curiosity. I'm not all that interested in the Blood Bowl games. Not even for $10.

Maybe somebody else might be interested though.

If it makes more sense than "football", I may partake.

Handegg is clearly the most baffling, ridiculous, and rigged sport I've ever come across.

#5023 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

New Magicka DLC today... One of the main reasons I don't like this game.

#5024 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

If it makes more sense than "football", I may partake.

Handegg is clearly the most baffling, ridiculous, and rigged sport I've ever come across.

Despite its appearance Blood Bowl isn't really a football game. It is a strategy tactics game (it is actually a table top game that is turn based and is quite good too). They do have a real time mode that I never played but heard so so things about that makes it seem to play more like football. But for the most part it is a turn base strategy game with football being what it revolves around. Each player has their own stats, position and the patch you move all matter as well. It is actually pretty deep game if you are willing to dig your teeth into it and it represents the table top version of the game rather well as well.

#5025 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:03 PM

It was the third "stabby" that made me LOL. Comedy really does come in 3's. :)

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg

#5026 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

New Magicka DLC today... One of the main reasons I don't like this game.

http://www.cheapassg...line=1340313724

MARS

#5027 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

Don't know if its been posted or mentioned or not but.

http://www.rockpaper...ding-for-steam/

Viking Battle for Asgard is supposed to be coming to steam next week and its supposed to be getting a graphical overhaul to boot.

#5028 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

I just finished Dishonored and enjoyed it quite a bit. There were a few really annoying bugs and the execution of the story was lacking, but it was fun.

Normally I play games like this as total stealth. By the time I make my way through a level, everyone is sleeping and every security system is disabled. Dishonored may be the first game to give me the tools to play the way I did. I snuck around avoiding people, occasionally knocking them out, and running when caught. I used sleep darts only when guards were between me and where I wanted to be. I didn't feel compelled to constantly reload when things didn't go as planned as I do in other stealth games because I had a way out of any bungled situation.

One of my favorite strategies for acquiring a rune in a room full of guards was carefully and cautiously moving up to the room, incapacitating anyone watching the door, blinking in next to the object, grabbing it, and hauling ass out of there as fast as possible with a group of guards on my tail. In any other stealth game I'd have been dead for trying that.

That style got me through in about 10 hours. I fully expect to play through another two times. I assume a no kill or collect everything playthrough (I got probably 90%-95% of the upgrades) will take longer and a more aggressive high chaos game will take less time. I didn't find it to be anything like Skyrim except for a slight similarity in the sword combat, which I mostly stayed away from.

#5029 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

There's nothing I had more than reading the lecturing screeds of self-absorbed nitwits extolling how different Dishonored is from Call of Duty and NONE OF YOU GET IT.

It's like they live in a world where DX:HR, almost every sandbox game including every Elder Scrolls game, and the Bioshock games don't exist. And, so tragically, the one true game to break the mold just isn't understood (Heartache!) because the plebs are too stupid to understand it!

It's a good game, noteworthy for being one of the few stealth-heavy games that where combat isn't an utterly terrible situation to be in. Conviction was probably the other one I can think of but even then the joy there was disappearing in combat. Has a noteworthy enough power base to support any playthrough style you want and it's just fun no matter what you do.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#5030 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:34 PM

There's nothing I had more than reading the lecturing screeds of self-absorbed nitwits extolling how different Dishonored is from Call of Duty and NONE OF YOU GET IT.

It's like they live in a world where DX:HR, almost every sandbox game including every Elder Scrolls game, and the Bioshock games don't exist. And, so tragically, the one true game to break the mold just isn't understood (Heartache!) because the plebs are too stupid to understand it!

It's a good game, noteworthy for being one of the few stealth-heavy games that where combat isn't an utterly terrible situation to be in. Conviction was probably the other one I can think of but even then the joy there was disappearing in combat.

Hey man, I don't know about you, but I had my Typhoon maxed in Deus EX:HR.

Combat was an utterly terrible situation for EVERYONE AROUND me when I resorted to that.

:)

#5031 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:49 PM

Don't know if its been posted or mentioned or not but.

http://www.rockpaper...ding-for-steam/

Viking Battle for Asgard is supposed to be coming to steam next week and its supposed to be getting a graphical overhaul to boot.

I recently got this game and beat it. I have to say that this news is awesome. Although while I don't feel like a graphical overhaul is entirely necessary, yeah I said it, it would be nice for them to add in some variety in the late game. The game is extremely fun, but about half way through the second island it hits you that nothing will change for the rest of the game and indeed it doesn't.

That lack of variety is seriously my only gripe too. The graphics were fine with a mix of a Fable and a dark Fable look, which means it is like Fable but dark. The combat felt heavy with a lot of impact, meaning when you hit someone you heard a thud and it didn't feel like say World of Warcraft melee combat. The story was rubbish, but that didn't really bother me in anyway, which is odd. Performance only occasionally went down, but PC can certainly straighten that all out. Because while the game ran fine for about 98% those 2% were kind diminished in their awe since they were the huge battles with the ton of people on screen at once. I will say one last thing. I heart this game's load times. Starting it took about average length, but warping using the stones was nearly instant if not entirely instant.

Still quite fun and hopefully reasonably priced.

#5032 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:54 PM

Posted Image

Apparently none of you are familiar with the creative fun you can have with taxidermy.

More here. And here. Little DIY canvas.

So many people have weird hangups over dead things.

#5033 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:58 PM

Spoiler

Apparently none of you are familiar with the creative fun you can have with taxidermy.

More here. And here. Little DIY canvas.

So many people have weird hangups over dead things.

I want to say that there is a slight difference between the image you gave and the one previous. One is creative, like taking multiple creatures and making them one, and the other... well... lets just say it was horrible...

#5034 MnemnocH

MnemnocH

Cupcakes!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:08 AM

Can I take you up on this offer? I really want to buy BB:CE. I can send the money via paypal.

Origin ID: Mnemnoch_Caine              Uplay: mnemnoch1

uc.png   76561198062648772.png

#5035 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:10 AM

I still do both SP and MP.

COD series and BF3 have a robust MP, for sure.
Personally - I prefer BF3 on the MP.

EDIT:
Though, I do like Kill Confirmed (Team DM Mode) in COD: MW3.

I do too and will, its just now I head straight to MP first. MW's training course was always awesome to get the 3 stars, same with the airplane scenario, love those challenges because I wouldn't give up, so stubborn lol.

I remember MoH & CoD's campaigns were the shit, I played them on GC at the time, that was my system baby. Played hella CoD2 Big Red haha.

Me too. Haven't gotten to playing it yet. :roll:

Only played like an hour or two of it, taking the stealth option rather than guns blazing has been more fun than other stealth games, tho that's not saying much for me, I'm not big into them. Overall I like the feel and presentation of the game, but I wish I could have had it in this sale, damn. I remember during the Steam sale my friend was like told me to get it for sure lol. I mean I got it for 5.99 from GS rather than 7.49 from Steam, not a big difference but the Amazon deal is killer.

If anyone wants Quantum Conundrum or DeusExHR+DLC lmk.

Posted Image
Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 | XBL: MC Kage | Official NBA 2K13 PC Thread | The BackLoggery

#5036 MnemnocH

MnemnocH

Cupcakes!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:15 AM

I do too and will, its just now I head straight to MP first. MW's training course was always awesome to get the 3 stars, same with the airplane scenario, love those challenges because I wouldn't give up, so stubborn lol.

I remember MoH & CoD's campaigns were the shit, I played them on GC at the time, that was my system baby. Played hella CoD2 Big Red haha.

Only played like an hour or two of it, taking the stealth option rather than guns blazing has been more fun than other stealth games, tho that's not saying much for me, I'm not big into them. Overall I like the feel and presentation of the game, but I wish I could have had it in this sale, damn. I remember during the Steam sale my friend was like told me to get it for sure lol. I mean I got it for 5.99 from GS rather than 7.49 from Steam, not a big difference but the Amazon deal is killer.

If anyone wants Quantum Conundrum or DeusExHR+DLC lmk.

Ill bite the Quantum+DX.

#5037 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/image.php?u=202784&dateline=1340313724

Lmfao.

mnemnoch - Ok cool, PM me. That Blood Bowl game looks pretty fun too, what's the difference between CE & LE?

5 more days 'til 2K13 :drool:

Posted Image
Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 | XBL: MC Kage | Official NBA 2K13 PC Thread | The BackLoggery

#5038 MnemnocH

MnemnocH

Cupcakes!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:40 AM

Thanks FOX for the BB:CE!

@Kage

From what I heard theres an additional 3 races in CE. I dont know if theres an update in AI though.

Also sent you a pm for that amazon deal.

#5039 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's Favorite DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:52 AM

I still think MoH was at its best on the SP back w/ MOH:AA.
The last MOH (2010) was short and sweet - though, nothing amazing & spectacular.

Spec Ops: The Line - now there's a shooter w/ an excellent SP campaign (which was like 7-8 hours short) and a great story. Just finished that last night.

#5040 radioactivez0r

radioactivez0r

Up and Atom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:18 AM

I put some money in my Steam wallet because I fully expect to cave on the Sherlock collection and the Pendulo collection (didn't get it during the summer sale, kind of hated that I didn't).

Also, my retail copy of XCOM from Newegg was finally delivered tonight. I get to see what all the fuss is about, and I get to do it with probably totally unnecessary 'special edition' content to boot!
Posted Image