Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#931 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

Sorry to sidetrack, but do any of you have opinions about Renegade Ops? I heard that it's pretty fun co-op but none of my friends have it so I've been playing it single player... and surprisingly having a blast. Anyone here enjoy the game or still play it?

I've played it and had a good time with friends but I think I actually enjoyed it more by myself. Its not that it isnt fun with friends it just turns into a really easy game and a bit mind numbing. There really isnt a sense of danger ever when you have 2 other guys backing you up.
Steam Games to Trade/Sell: None right now
WTB: Anything on my Wishlist

23480.png

#932 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

Hm, This whole tile set stuff actually doesn't look that bad at all. I think i'll have to try and play though nethack with a tile set now. Also the graphics for that tile set reminds of Castle of The Winds.

Castle of the Winds--ah, the memories!

fs_20fa6c7c0d5d11e0a23d8bb844bec87b.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#933 valenor the bored

valenor the bored

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

Mad Riders for $3.39.

Any thoughts?

#934 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:12 PM

For those who like their board games on PC, Gamersgate has Carcassone for 50% off.

http://www.gamersgat...NNE/carcassonne
Posted Image

#935 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

I print out a copy of the box art for every game I own on a black and white sheet of paper and then I write on the back in sloppy cursive where I got the game, how much it cost, and my score for it in fox tails. I then file the 100s of sheets of paper by the dewey decimal system with each sheet getting it's own file folder. I then scan each sheet and file folder back into the computer and then keep them in a file cabinet near my desk.

NOO!! The Library of Congress Classification (LCC) is way better. ^_~ :argue:

Screw that, I would just like to hire someone

Spoiler

That is so true, but I'm sure they'd get it wrong. If you want something done right...

And I never liked Nethack. Tried it a dozen times, and went back to Zangband every time.

Thanks for that. I found this interesting read: Running the gauntlet - NetHack vs. Angband

Honestly I would dig UI that used the Deathlord (1987) tileset. I'm having a hard time finding a better screenshot, but this gives the idea.
Posted Image

View and search all 382 games. Nope, I'm still doing pretty well without creating any categories. I guess I don't mind sorting through all of the junk bundle drivel that much.

That wouldn't be bad if only the titles were consistent, e.g. "Need for Speed: SHIFT" but the sequel is "SHIFT 2 Unleashed". "Ys Origin" vs "Ys: The Oath in Felghana" The Total War series is alphabetically spread out because Rome, Medieval II, Empire, & Napoleon all start with their period name, yet Total War: Shogun 2 does not. I also wish all the RACE 07 expansions were prefixed with RACE 07.

For organization I just go alphabetical. I can look at the name of any game in my library and know what type of game it is with 98% certainty. This has worked so far with a library of around 730 (according to profile page) or 529 (according to library page)

Ooh good to know it scales to 529 games. I really liked (can't spot the post) the simple alphabetical groupings idea. I'm surprised that there haven't been more bitter complaints about the lack of drag-n-drop sorting.

:cry: I think it's a little sad that someone who is actually asking about a game has to apologize for sidetracking! Not a sidetrack at all, man!
I have yet to play Renegade Ops

So true. I've played a few hours of Renegade Ops (no-coop) and had a cackling good time. It's a twin stick shooter, so a controller is strongly recommended. It kind of reminds me of an evolved version of Ikari Warriors and similar games in that genre (with a bit of 1942 thrown in). It's very much worth the price if you like the genre. The driving physics is kind of fun too. I didn't run into any bugs. I have read that is doesn't scale for co-op. Single player is a fun challenge.

The thing I like about CAG is how discussions stay civil so much of the time. :grouphug:
http://t3.gstatic.co...4WqWOmKJZa_lehQ

#936 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:27 PM

Sorry to sidetrack, but do any of you have opinions about Renegade Ops? I heard that it's pretty fun co-op but none of my friends have it so I've been playing it single player... and surprisingly having a blast. Anyone here enjoy the game or still play it?

I have yet to play it co-op but I love Renegade Ops. It controls well, there's a lot to do and I love top down shooters like that. I need to play some of the other vehicles because I've pretty much maxed out my Gordon Freeman buggy.

The next time it goes on sale for cheap you should buy a couple of copies for your friends. :D

76561197971332172.png

#937 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:35 PM

Mad Riders 66% off $3.39 DLC: 66% off $1.01

Apparently steam still has sales. Who knew?

This looks kinda fun, though I really wonder why they don't have video on the steam page (or a forum link).

Edit:

Trailer of the Trailer

Gameplay

It seems to be regarded as a follow-up to Nail'd (same developer). A reasonably fun arcade racer with some irritating quirks.

Edited by asheskitty, 20 August 2012 - 05:47 PM.

#938 mewantgames

mewantgames

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

Mad Riders for $3.39.

Any thoughts?

Reminds me of PURE (another ATV racer), which i enjoyed, so I picked it up.

#939 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

Reminds me of PURE (another ATV racer), which i enjoyed, so I picked it up.

Good to hear! I'm pretty sure I'm picking this up too. I'm a sucker for the genre.

#940 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:57 PM

I print out a copy of the box art for every game I own on a black and white sheet of paper and then I write on the back in sloppy cursive where I got the game, how much it cost, and my score for it in fox tails. I then file the 100s of sheets of paper by the dewey decimal system with each sheet getting it's own file folder. I then scan each sheet and file folder back into the computer and then keep them in a file cabinet near my desk.

I think I like this method. It seems most efficient.

You should probably also consider having a different filing cabinet for each game, but I don't wanna go crazy here.

#941 gamegirl79

gamegirl79

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

Mad Riders 66% off $3.39 DLC: 66% off $1.01

Apparently steam still has sales. Who knew?

This looks kinda fun, though I really wonder why they don't have video on the steam page (or a forum link).

Edit:

Trailer of the Trailer

Gameplay

It seems to be regarded as a follow-up to Nail'd (same developer). A reasonably fun arcade racer with some irritating quirks.

What kind of irritating quirks? I'm on the fence about picking this one up.

#942 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:07 PM

Hmm, this sorting does bring up an interesting question. How do you sort physical games? Computer games are little harder due to the large variation in package size, but console games benefit from the nice standardized size (barring CE).

My PS2 and DVD-case sized computer games are sorted on bookcase shelves. Like things get lumped together, e.g. racing, or multititle series, but the rest are a little dynamic with recently played titles at one end and untouched backlog at the other.

#943 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:15 PM

Hmm, this sorting does bring up an interesting question. How do you sort physical games? Computer games are little harder due to the large variation in package size, but console games benefit from the nice standardized size (barring CE).

My PS2 and DVD-case sized computer games are sorted on bookcase shelves. Like things get lumped together, e.g. racing, or multititle series, but the rest are a little dynamic with recently played titles at one end and untouched backlog at the other.

Thrown on the shelf with no sorting or standards. Multiple rows in front of each other, jewel cases mixed with large boxes, games sitting on top of the rest. It's chaos.

#944 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

Castle of the Winds--ah, the memories!

I know right! :applause: Funny thing is I only started playing it in 07 thanks to Home of the Underdogs and a really old school computer I had at my first job at a insurance company..Not exactly thrilling but CotW made it thrilling and also very easily alt-tabbed :twisted:

All of them on a dvd rack..and sadly a very shoddy dvd rack as it seems finding a well made horizontal dvd rack is like a pip dream. Though really my physical collection is almost dead now. I have been selling off a lot of games I thought I would keep just because of their status like Suikoden 2 and Shin Megami Tensei's.

But in the past year i've realized how idiotic it is to try and "collect" games as they hardly raise in value and only drop. Not to mention I'd never have time to play them all. Basically i've gone from a collection of 200 PS2 games down to 20 if that. Same goes for my PS1 collection but that went from 300 to down to just 2 games, the best two games on the system though 8-)

The really scary thing though is with Steam it is hard to realize how many games you really have, as unlike with physical copies you don't really see 300 games staring you in the face.
Posted Image

#945 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

My legacy PC games are all in one of those CD holder book-thingies with any manuals worth keeping in the desk drawer. Medieval: Total War (the first one, still my favorite), Pirates!, Impossible Creatures, Civilization II, Doom II and more blasts from the past.

Last year for Christmas my wife bought me a copy of Batman: Arkham City on DVD and I felt bad inside knowing she way overpaid for it (I'm sure she bought it full retail from Amazon or something). Also, she prefaced it with "I was asking what the biggest game was..." and I was totally expecting Skyrim. I felt like Bart Simpson opening Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge.

Spoiler

#946 pROvIs

pROvIs

Clash With Reality

• CAGiversary!

Does anyone else check the deal of the day and then quickly forget what it is because it is so underwhelming only to check it again a few minutes later thinking you went to the page and forgot to see what the deal of the day was?

That happened to me twice today.
Steam Games to Trade/Sell: None right now
WTB: Anything on my Wishlist

23480.png

#947 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

For those who like their board games on PC, Gamersgate has Carcassone for 50% off.

http://www.gamersgat...NNE/carcassonne

There's a Carcassone PC version? Why did I not know this? And why isn't it on Steam? GAH!

So true. I've played a few hours of Renegade Ops (no-coop) and had a cackling good time. It's a twin stick shooter, so a controller is strongly recommended. It kind of reminds me of an evolved version of Ikari Warriors and similar games in that genre (with a bit of 1942 thrown in). It's very much worth the price if you like the genre. The driving physics is kind of fun too. I didn't run into any bugs. I have read that is doesn't scale for co-op. Single player is a fun challenge.

Ikari Warriors... 1942... Ladies and gentlemen, I think I've found my future second wife :lol:

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#948 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for everyone's responses! It sounds like I'm not the only one who enjoyed playing Renegade Ops single player, though I think I'll try to buy a couple copies for my friend next time it goes on sale :) I was surprised because I bought Shoot Many Robots 4 pack for my friends and, while the game is decently fun co-op, it's incredibly boring playing solo. Renegade Ops was a good change of pace in that regard :)
Posted Image

#949 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:29 PM

Does anyone else check the deal of the day and then quickly forget what it is because it is so underwhelming only to check it again a few minutes later thinking you went to the page and forgot to see what the deal of the day was?

I'm so often unimpressed by the daily that I just assume anything good will be mentioned here.

#950 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

I like it, but then again I've only played it a handful of times. I think it's because the levels feel too long - you have to kill umpteen tanks, rescue umpteen more villagers/whatevers, shoot umpteen turrets and then it's on to the boss for umpteen more ways to knock his health down.

I'm not saying by any means that it's a bad game, it really isn't, but I think what I want from it is a short 5-minute-burst kinda game, where I can shoot stuff and feel quickly gratified. Maybe RO just isn't for me.

Now Shoot Many Robots, that's a game I've revisited umpteen times over. I like it way more than I should do. Great fun.

Edit: heh, you replied about SMR while I was replying to your original post :lol: Must admit, haven't tried co-op yet.

Spoiler

#951 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

For you puzzle gamers, Impulse as the Pendulo collection on sale for $14.99 today.

• Yesterday
  • The Next BIG Thing
  • Runaway - A Twist of Fate
  • Runaway - A Road Adventure
  • Runaway - The Dream of the Turtle
Not Steam activated.

#952 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

The really scary thing though is with Steam it is hard to realize how many games you really have, as unlike with physical copies you don't really see 300 games staring you in the face.

DVD cases are 20 cases/foot. 300 games would be 15 feet, or about 4 shelves of a four-foot bookcase. Yikes! Remind me not to make such scary meatspace conversions again. (Steam Library: ~190, but I have a good number of non-Steam DDLs, and a bunch of not yet redeemed indie bundle keys).

There's a Carcassone PC version? Why did I not know this? And why isn't it on Steam? GAH!
Ikari Warriors... 1942... Ladies and gentlemen, I think I've found my future second wife :lol:

You'd better me able to stay on my top 10 high score list. ^_~

Ooh Carcassone has a tablet version, $5 Play Store <Burns incense for Google Winter Sale> I find board games against a computer really hit or miss, Chess, Go, and Risk work well, but for others I'm just too used to a more social aspect, hough I have used my tablet as an electronic game board.

#953 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for that. I found this interesting read: Running the gauntlet - NetHack vs. Angband

Hehe, the : moving in Nethack happened to me too. And you can easily grind on mobs like the replicating flies in Angband if you needed to.

As for variants, vanilla Angband is only so-so.

#954 HuntingNoob

HuntingNoob

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

For you puzzle gamers, Impulse as the Pendulo collection on sale for $14.99 today.

• Yesterday
  • The Next BIG Thing
Not Steam activated.

Good deal for quality adventure games.

#955 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

I like it, but then again I've only played it a handful of times. I think it's because the levels feel too long - you have to kill umpteen tanks, rescue umpteen more villagers/whatevers, shoot umpteen turrets and then it's on to the boss for umpteen more ways to knock his health down.

I'm not saying by any means that it's a bad game, it really isn't, but I think what I want from it is a short 5-minute-burst kinda game, where I can shoot stuff and feel quickly gratified. Maybe RO just isn't for me.

Now Shoot Many Robots, that's a game I've revisited umpteen times over. I like it way more than I should do. Great fun.

Edit: heh, you replied about SMR while I was replying to your original post :lol: Must admit, haven't tried co-op yet.

Spoiler

Haha, both games are great, so I guess the enjoyment just depends on the player's taste. You're right, RO has much longer levels than I originally expected, but I enjoy the dynamic objectives and tongue-in-cheek comic book story. SMR was pretty fun with other friends, but when I play it on my own each level feels like a less enjoyable Metal Slug style of game.
Posted Image

#956 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

• Yesterday
  • The Next BIG Thing
Not Steam activated.

That's the only thing I semi-regretted not getting during the steam summer sale.. but there's no way in hell I'm using Impulse.

#957 headpiece747

headpiece747

I'm always angry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

So I had to ship my computer so I download a lot of my indie games on laptop. Damn it Super Meat Boy is brutal I don't know if I have the patience to beat it and Braid that one I just passed most of it to get to the doors because the rewinding stuff is over my head and I think I need a walkthrough for that game. Bastion on the other hand was what I was expecting and I had fun beating that I could see myself beating that again after I beat down some of my backlog.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#958 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

For physical media, I use IKEA BENNO towers. I bought one from the store itself, got 2 for cheeps off craigslist, and another for free off Freecycle. My wife hates them, and they're a bitch to dust, and the more I think about it, I'm glad I'm slowly going digital. Wouldn't have thought that just a few years ago. CE stuff and the like goes in the closet, and lots has supposed to've gone on eBay for a whiles now.
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#959 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

Same goes for my PS1 collection but that went from 300 to down to just 2 games, the best two games on the system though 8-)

What? What!? Don't leave us hanging. What 2 games?

Now Shoot Many Robots, that's a game I've revisited umpteen times over. I like it way more than I should do. Great fun

It's just fun enough to sucker me in every time I scan across it. I'd love to see a bit more variety, but the lure of a new level and new loot on top of a fairly competent shooter is just too much temptation.

76561197971332172.png

#960 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

Yes...