Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#9661 aronater

aronater

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

Still on the fence about Sniper Elite V2... I'm playing the demo on Steam, and I'm finding it to be quite difficult. I've got to get past a patrol of about 5-10 soldiers, and I keep getting spotted. Does anybody know if the whole game will be like that?

#9662 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

http://cdnroot.cheapassgamer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=8263&pictureid=28905

Wow, that's trippy.

MARS

#9663 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

Still on the fence about Sniper Elite V2... I'm playing the demo on Steam, and I'm finding it to be quite difficult. I've got to get past a patrol of about 5-10 soldiers, and I keep getting spotted. Does anybody know if the whole game will be like that?

Sniper Elite 2 deals less with sneaking than the first game did and is more actiony. So if you are hoping for a stealth or sneaking experience it might frustrate you.

Having said that anyone have any opinion on the Neudorf or Landwher dlc? They worth grabbing at all or?

#9664 DirkBelig

DirkBelig

The Belligerent One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

Witcher 2 is mine! Watch it be $5 in one month's time!

133994.png DirkBelig.png5fbfd2ddbe4d9137.png DirkBelig.png

#9665 Mr. Anderson

Mr. Anderson

spends too much time here

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

Sooo..... did anybody take a chance and try to run Witcher 2 on a Mac with integrated graphics?

It might just stay a pipe dream, but I reeeeealllyyy want this game on my MacBook Pro...

#9666 aus_nacht

aus_nacht

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

Don't forget to activate your witcher 2 through gog for free extras

http://www.gog.com/witcher2/backup
"Just a heads up: we're gonna have a superconductor turned up full blast and pointed at you for the duration of this next test. I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we'll cut out. " - C. Johnson

#9667 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

Splinter Cell Conviction, the Uplay client didn't recognize that a patch existed. Ubisoft support couldn't help. I finally solved it myself by uninstalling Uplay 2 and allowed Splinter Cell to install the older version of Uplay it comes, which then patched the game immediately.

I had a similar issue with Assassin's Creed 2 but I solved it by renaming that game's Uplay folder to its old folder name, before Uplay 2 came out.

There was some kind of issue where Uplay 2 changed the folder names only on Steam games, but their servers didn't take that into account and didn't patch any of the Steam versions of games. I let them know, not sure if they fixed it since.

Ugh, sorry to hear. I picked up Conviction and the Summer Sale and beat it soon after and don't recall any patching issues. I do remember that Uplay chanaged its directory structure at one point. I also recall uninstalling Uplay to let a fresh install happen (right around their $1 sale).

Am I missing something about Silverfall? People keep mentioning it but the reviews are pretty bad.

See this post. Hit the spoiler tag.

#9668 Lone_Prodigy

Lone_Prodigy

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

Don't forget to activate your witcher 2 through gog for free extras

http://www.gog.com/witcher2/backup

I thought the Enhanced Edition extras were available for all copies of Witcher 2?

I bought a sealed boxed Witcher 2 (non-EE), and now it's $7.49. Sigh.

#9669 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

Sniper Elite 2 deals less with sneaking than the first game did and is more actiony. So if you are hoping for a stealth or sneaking experience it might frustrate you.

Having said that anyone have any opinion on the Neudorf or Landwher dlc? They worth grabbing at all or?

Yeah, it's definitely not a stealth game AT ALL. I mean I'd think you were the best gamer in the world if you could actually sneak by people like that. The game is an action game. You can sneak by people here and there, but eventually the game missions call for you to get spotted anyways and have to shoot people.

It's stealthy in the the way you can try to get stealth kills by shooting during bombings to mask your bullets and stuff like that.

I just got the two mission packs. They promise one single player mission. I know I thought the Kill Hitler DLC was definitely worth it so a buck and some change per mission is fine by me.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#9670 aus_nacht

aus_nacht

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

I thought the Enhanced Edition extras were available for all copies of Witcher 2?

I have no idea but a drm free copy is also a nice perk.
"Just a heads up: we're gonna have a superconductor turned up full blast and pointed at you for the duration of this next test. I'll be honest - we're throwing science at the wall here to see what sticks. No idea what it'll do. Probably nothing. Best-case scenario, you might get some superpowers. Worst case, some tumors, which we'll cut out. " - C. Johnson

#9671 BMXJouster

BMXJouster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

They are. But there are a few extras that are only available through GOG, like the Triss Playboy spread, the digital artbook and the comic book I believe.

#9672 Dalrint

Dalrint

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

In for two pieces of Tropico 4 DLC that I didn't have, and Witcher 2, I suppose.

Hunting through the adventure games list to see if there are any I don't already own that are cheap. It's actually reaching the point where I feel like I own more steam games than I don't.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9673 motoki

motoki

Entitled Hypocritical Playfire Pirate with Double Standards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

http://cdnroot.cheapassgamer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=8263&pictureid=28905

Oh you guys. :imwithst:
Anyway, there's a bunch of crap over at Big Fish on sale for $2.99 if you enter the code CYBER. Most of it IS crap, but some is decent like 4 Elements II which is on Greenlight but oddly not on Steam yet.

#9674 Dalrint

Dalrint

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

Anyway, there's a bunch of crap over at Big Fish on sale for $2.99 if you enter the code CYBER. Most of it IS crap, but some is decent like 4 Elements II which is on Greenlight but oddly not on Steam yet.

Hey Motoki, are you a proponent of Big Fish crap? I've recently developed something of an obsession with Hidden Object games (...don't ask, I can't explain it) and I know they're basically the drug kingpin of those, but wading through their store looking for ones that aren't terrible is ridiculously frustrating.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9675 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

That's an amazing avatar. I wish someone would make something like that for me ;)

#9676 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Hey Motoki, are you a proponent of Big Fish crap? I've recently developed something of an obsession with Hidden Object games (...don't ask, I can't explain it) and I know they're basically the drug kingpin of those, but wading through their store looking for ones that aren't terrible is ridiculously frustrating.

If you like HOG I always recommend stuff like this:

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B0099F855O/

Basically a dollar a game.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#9677 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

:applause::applause::applause: You did it! You got Motoki to post again! :whee:

#9678 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

Naval Warfare

I had a lot of fun with this one. I thought it was harshly rated.

Am I missing something about Silverfall? People keep mentioning it but the reviews are pretty bad.

The reviews for the base game aren't great. I wasn't able to find many reviews for the expansion, which reportedly merges with the base game and addresses many of the complaints people had about the first.

4 Elements II

I enjoyed 4 Elements. I didn't realize there was a II. Thanks!

76561197971332172.png

#9679 Kromis

Kromis

Für das Vaterland!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Wow I bought Witcher 2 for $16 during the summer sale and have yet to play it. Now it's $7.49?

FML

#9680 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Sniper Elite V2 is definitely not a stealth game. There are large parts you CAN sneak through but for the vast majority of the game sneaking is just used to position you for the inevitable firefight.

#9681 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Motoki? *super massive major hug*

STAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

#9682 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

You've probably already played them, but the Mystery Case Files are all pretty good.

#9683 aronater

aronater

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Yeah, it's definitely not a stealth game AT ALL. I mean I'd think you were the best gamer in the world if you could actually sneak by people like that. The game is an action game. You can sneak by people here and there, but eventually the game missions call for you to get spotted anyways and have to shoot people.

It's stealthy in the the way you can try to get stealth kills by shooting during bombings to mask your bullets and stuff like that.

I just got the two mission packs. They promise one single player mission. I know I thought the Kill Hitler DLC was definitely worth it so a buck and some change per mission is fine by me.

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm gonna go for it, just one more question. I think I'll get the franchise pack, plus the other 2 dlc, as it comes out about 50 cents cheaper than the vanilla game plus all 3 DLC. However, I've got zero interest in the original Sniper Elite which comes bundled in the pack. Is there any way to designate the original as a gift during the purchase while keeping V2 and the dlc?

#9684 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

Legend of Grimrock looks hard. Hard like it will hurt my feelings and I'll never play the game after the first time. Thoughts?

#9685 CronO_O

CronO_O

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

Legend of Grimrock looks hard. Hard like it will hurt my feelings and I'll never play the game after the first time. Thoughts?

Um it can get difficult. Depends rlly. I enjoyed it.

#9686 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm gonna go for it, just one more question. I think I'll get the franchise pack, plus the other 2 dlc, as it comes out about 50 cents cheaper than the vanilla game plus all 3 DLC. However, I've got zero interest in the original Sniper Elite which comes bundled in the pack. Is there any way to designate the original as a gift during the purchase while keeping V2 and the dlc?

Nope, it'll all be added to your account when you buy it.

Also, agreed with the stealth comments. It's not really "avoid everyone" stealth so much as "Find a good spot, shoot some people and scoot". From what I understand, some stealth addicts were a bit annoyed that you actually can't stealth your way through the game and parts of it force a gunfight. Personally, I just shoot everyone in the face.

#9687 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

Legend of Grimrock does have an easy difficulty setting but I have no idea what changes that makes.

edit: Nevermind, found it:

Re: Hardcore mode and difficulty levels

Posted Imageby petri » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:48 pm
We have three difficulty settings that scale monster behavior in combat. On top of that there's old school mode which disables the auto map. We are also considering adding the permadeath option in a game update at some point but completing the game with this option would be very, very, VERY difficult I believe.

sudo mklove

#9688 INCyr

INCyr

Devotee of CAGthulhu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

Man, I was doing so well in this sale, and these last 2 days have killed me. First, Torchlight 2, which I'm so very very looking forward to. And then today, I finally gave in and picked up not only The Witcher 2, but Alan Wake. As well as about 7-8 random indie games that were sitting on my wishlist for ~$1-$3 a piece. I mean, all in all, it's not that bad, but I was thinking I was going to get out of this sale with nothing for a while there.

(Indie Game List, for anyone who cares: Nation Red, Analogue, Legend of the Fae, Offspring Fling, Civ III (I have IV & V, not sure why, other than it was $1), Unstoppable Gorg, Home)

Oh, and Hard Reset from GMG the other day. That looked too good to pass up at $3.75.

#9689 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

I'd say welcome back, but you left before I showed up. So, hi.

#9690 aus_nacht

aus_nacht

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

Yay for the rare appearance!