Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#961 jimbodan

jimbodan

Hates you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

Hmm, this sorting does bring up an interesting question. How do you sort physical games? Computer games are little harder due to the large variation in package size, but console games benefit from the nice standardized size (barring CE).

My PS2 and DVD-case sized computer games are sorted on bookcase shelves. Like things get lumped together, e.g. racing, or multititle series, but the rest are a little dynamic with recently played titles at one end and untouched backlog at the other.

For my old PC stuff the discs are all in a binder in no particular order and the boxes are stored away in large plastic boxes. For console stuff I have them all on shelves first grouped by console and then in alphabetical order.

Think you're good at Fantasy Sports? Check out Fanduel where you can play daily to win money on Fantasy Sports!

https://www.fanduel....jimbodan&cnl=da

fs_pc.png

#962 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

What? What!? Don't leave us hanging. What 2 games?

From my limited knowledge of PS1, the short short list would be Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (probably my favorite game soundtrack). Then again, I'm sure Sophita will suprise us! :)

#963 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

I'm guessing one is Xenogears

#964 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

Renegade Ops has a raucously entertaining GI Joe atmosphere but was a rather rote and boring twin stick shooter in solo. I had to force myself to play it to completion. Did not really like it. Was not especially bad but just never got good. Too much repetition, uninspired levels.

Carcassonne on PC thrills me. Will have a look at it.

#965 Necrotron

Necrotron

Now with strawberry!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

I'm so often unimpressed by the daily that I just assume anything good will be mentioned here.

Indeed, I rarely buy the daily, although I did pick up The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom yesterday and it's not bad for $1.24.

More often than not, however, I do what pROvIs does and forget I even checked it. :-P

Does anyone else check the deal of the day and then quickly forget what it is because it is so underwhelming only to check it again a few minutes later thinking you went to the page and forgot to see what the deal of the day was?

That happened to me twice today.

#966 Necrotron

Necrotron

Now with strawberry!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

What? What!? Don't leave us hanging. What 2 games (for PS2)?

Both Dynasty Warriors V and VI? ;)

#967 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

You'd better me able to stay on my top 10 high score list. ^_~

I don't even want to know how bad I would suck at Ikari Warriors today :lol:

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#968 mewantgames

mewantgames

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

There's a Carcassone PC version? Why did I not know this? And why isn't it on Steam? GAH!

Just do buy it!

#969 Rerujnoc

Rerujnoc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

There's a Carcassone PC version? Why did I not know this? And why isn't it on Steam? GAH!

When I saw that post those I had those same exact thoughts. I am surprised by how few board games get made for the PC.

#970 facls

facls

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

So true. I've played a few hours of Renegade Ops (no-coop) and had a cackling good time. It's a twin stick shooter, so a controller is strongly recommended. It kind of reminds me of an evolved version of Ikari Warriors and similar games in that genre (with a bit of 1942 thrown in). It's very much worth the price if you like the genre. The driving physics is kind of fun too. I didn't run into any bugs. I have read that is doesn't scale for co-op. Single player is a fun challenge.

I also enjoyed Renegade Ops a lot. I did encounter one bug in the final battle. I was playing that last part for the 2nd or 3rd time, and I was just about to die on my last life when I launched the final rocket to destroy the end boss. I don't remember who was hit first, the boss or me, but we both started to explode pretty much at the same time. The game thankfully thought I had won, and there I was contemplating the end of my enemy while I was exploding as well. Unsurprisingly the end game was more celebratory than noirish.

#971 Palinn

Palinn

Skip the odds.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

For the PC version of Carcassone, the description on GamersGate says "Multiplayer matches via network, Internet or on one computer". I assume this is a turn based game using keyboard input so if I wanted to play with a friend sitting next to me would I just pass over the computer? Maybe hook the laptop up to the HDTV and use a wireless keyboard? The way the description reads I was thinking "on one computer" was a local thing. I'm trying to envision playing this without getting out of the La-z-Boys. :lol:

Also, I was going through my Amazon purchased games with Steam keys and noticed that I have not activated Victoria II. The reviews on GamersGate seem to indicate that this game takes some time to learn and I'm not sure I have the patience. Can anyone compare this to Civ 5 ease of play/learning curve?

#972 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:40 PM

I'm totally contributing to the off-topic discussion, but I like the nostalgia of talking about the PSOne's expansive library. I hold Silent Hill, Resident Evil 2 (Dual Shock Edition), and Grandia in high regard.

However, I concede that RE2 is the most likely to appear on a "Top 2" list.

#973 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:40 PM

For the PC version of Carcassone, the description on GamersGate says "Multiplayer matches via network, Internet or on one computer". I assume this is a turn based game using keyboard input so if I wanted to play with a friend sitting next to me would I just pass over the computer? Maybe hook the laptop up to the HDTV and use a wireless keyboard? The way the description reads I was thinking "on one computer" was a local thing. I'm trying to envision playing this without getting out of the La-z-Boys. :lol:

Also, I was going through my Amazon purchased games with Steam keys and noticed that I have not activated Victoria II. The reviews on GamersGate seem to indicate that this game takes some time to learn and I'm not sure I have the patience. Can anyone compare this to Civ 5 ease of play/learning curve?

I haven't played Victoria II, but have been told it is more like Crusader Kings or Hearts of Iron than Civ.

As far as Carcassone, there is a "hot seat" mode where you would switch the mouse from player to player. Find the game page on amazon and you can DL the pdf of the manual there that explains it.

#974 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:11 PM

Started my new job today. Hopefully stuff I own goes on sale until I get my first paycheck.

Although I debate calling it work since while I do have to program and write software which is my job, I am pretty much allowed to watch whatever the hell I want :lol:.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#975 jkimrey

jkimrey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:39 PM

Hmm, Carcassonne on PC or iPad?

#976 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:03 AM

As far as Carcassone, there is a "hot seat" mode where you would switch the mouse from player to player. Find the game page on amazon and you can DL the pdf of the manual there that explains it.

I would assume it plays just like Axis & Allies with same screen multiplayer (or hot seat, whatever you want to call it) although giving that example most likely passes over almost everyone's head here. Of course how the PC was set up in my families house at the time meant that only one person could be sitting really at it at a time so between my two brothers and myself we had to take our turn, get up, and then the next person sit down and so on. If there is any way to realize how terrible same screen multiplayer is on the PC it is doing that for hours. Though we liked the game so much it didn't matter at the time.

#977 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:17 AM

Axis & Allies isn't Axis & Allies without a thousand little pieces to lose under the couch.

#978 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:34 AM

So I had to ship my computer so I download a lot of my indie games on laptop. Damn it Super Meat Boy is brutal I don't know if I have the patience to beat it and Braid that one I just passed most of it to get to the doors because the rewinding stuff is over my head and I think I need a walkthrough for that game. Bastion on the other hand was what I was expecting and I had fun beating that I could see myself beating that again after I beat down some of my backlog.

SMB is brutal but very rewarding. The feeling of getting past a ridiculous level was great!

However, there are many controller smashing moments in that game. :censored::censored::censored::whee:

Renegade Ops has a raucously entertaining GI Joe atmosphere but was a rather rote and boring twin stick shooter in solo. I had to force myself to play it to completion. Did not really like it. Was not especially bad but just never got good. Too much repetition, uninspired levels.

I agree it was fun in co op but I think I would get bored playing single player.

Just not much substance and the story line is standard b-movie fair.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#979 Kaltic

Kaltic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:52 AM

Axis & Allies isn't Axis & Allies without a thousand little pieces to lose under the couch.

Nothing beats Weapons & Warriors. Those balls disappear into oblivion and are never found again... ever.

#980 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:54 AM

Carcassonne on PC thrills me. Will have a look at it.

IMO, it's really not meant to be played solo.. however it's silly because most of the achievements have to be obtained in singleplayer. I thought it was very fun in co-op. Forcing people to play singleplayer to get achievements when the game is primarily designed for co-op is really lame..

#981 Dr Sasquatch

Dr Sasquatch

Trivial Hirsute

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:59 AM

The following is not even a joke:

The Expendables 2 Videogame is Now Available on Steam!

Experience all of the explosive moments, as your favorite stars, in Four-Player Co-op action!

Four Expendables (Barney, Gunner, Caesar and Yin Yang) are hired to rescue an extremely valuable, kidnapped Chinese billionaire. It’s all business, until all hell breaks loose and the explosive mix of testosterone and kerosene detonates in a massive fireball that never lets up as the relentless action concludes where the new movie begins.

The Expendables 2 Videogame is a way for fans to experience all of their favorite explosive moments, as their favorite stars, in Four-Player Co-op action.

Bonus points if you can spot the grammatical error in the official description!

Also out today: Thirty Flights of Loving, 10% off until the 27th, making it $4.49.

Explore the world of Thirty Flights of Loving through a first-person short story. In this sequel to Gravity Bone, take a deep dive with high-flying schemers, lovelorn criminals, and more stray kittens than you can shake a stick at. Saddle up, gunslinger.

Featuring an original soundtrack by Chris Remo.

76561198026637637.png

#982 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:02 AM

I miss the days of chilling with my friends, having some beers, playing epic month long games of risk. Online gaming has made huge strides over the past 10-15 years, but nothing compares to an infinite peace treaty between central america and venezuela.

#983 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:08 AM

Might have already been posted: http://www.greenligh...essrelease.html (people have been having trouble viewing it in Chrome). More info:

Spoiler

#984 Wolfmight

Wolfmight

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:08 AM

I miss the days of chilling with my friends, having some beers, playing epic month long games of risk. Online gaming has made huge strides over the past 10-15 years, but nothing compares to an infinite peace treaty between central america and venezuela.

Ahhh, Risk! Cheers to that with some fine local dark beers!

#985 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:10 AM

Lol, if you want to complete it in one night though....the AI on the PC version in easy mode was like playing chess with a toddler. It just does...."stuff".

On another note, I got my corsair vengeance 1500 today. And realized I didn't complete my purchase of sniper elite franchisw until 5 minutes after the sale ended. Here's hoping for a daily or winter sale special. Enough backlog I can wait again.

#986 SkullTheTroll

SkullTheTroll

Virtual Adventurer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:13 AM

Started my new job today. Hopefully stuff I own goes on sale until I get my first paycheck.

Although I debate calling it work since while I do have to program and write software which is my job, I am pretty much allowed to watch whatever the hell I want :lol:.

Congrats on the new job!

#987 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:20 AM

Congrats on the new job!

Thanks! Sure is good to soon have some money :D.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#988 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

War of the Roses is up for preorder 20% discount if you own a Mount & Blade game $23.99 20% off 4 pack $71.99 20% off

Dunno what to think of this game, in concept and looking at it, it is like yes please I will buy it, but playing the beta, I'm not so sure :/

#989 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:31 AM

From my limited knowledge of PS1, the short short list would be Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (probably my favorite game soundtrack). Then again, I'm sure Sophita will suprise us! :)

I'm guessing one is Xenogears

Both Dynasty Warriors V and VI? ;)

First off isn't curiosity addicting :razz:

: drum roll:

The first game is Final Fantasy Tactics - I have sunk more time into that game than any other game I have ever played. I think for 2 years 8th and 9th grade it was the only game I played. Yet somehow I have never finished the game I always got caught up in the story and also the random battles were addicting just leveling up the perfect skills and team building.

On my best save I made it all the way up to Wiegraf only to save over both my saves when I was victorious only to realize I could never win at the rooftop battle as noone in my party was fast enough to save that one brother and sister(Also you couldn't exit the battle and return so I was stuck fighting an a unwinable battle) :bomb: I swore I would beat FFT one day and so it remains shaking in fear of my throw stone skills.

Second game is Jade Cocoon: I am not sure how many here have heard of it, if at all, however imagine a mature themed Pokemon. You play as a Boy who goes off to try and save his village from some sort of demonic curse and using a ocarina type thing you are able to capture various creatures you find and force them to fight for you. You can also fuse them together to try and make unique creatures with different skills that are inherited between generations like the Shin Megami Tensei system.

One of the most memorable aspects is the game also allows your main character to fight, so your also collecting weapons and armor and potions for yourself as well on top of creature collecting. The games story I remember also becomes really dark and twisted the deeper you go into the game. The thing that stuck with me the most as a kid was unlike pokemon the enemy humans you face actually die when you defeat them, was crazy at the time knowing my little demons attualy killed someone, compared to just robbing them 8-)

The game also has a very unique art style(and still holds up because of the art direction) to it, the controls I am sure if I went back to will be sluggish as it is a 3d ps1 game. But overall I have never seen a game like it or one that has even come close to it (Well the game did get a sequel but it was far too different and also lost the dark oppressive tone the original had as well as the monster collecting IIRC)

Also for the anime fans, the game's intro :lol:

Edit: According to Wikipedia Jade Cocoon used studio Ghibli for the artwork. I guess why the game looks like Princess Mononoke so much, always thought that movies art style and tone was similar to Jade Cocoon =p

I'm totally contributing to the off-topic discussion, but I like the nostalgia of talking about the PSOne's expansive library. I hold Silent Hill, Resident Evil 2 (Dual Shock Edition), and Grandia in high regard.

Silent Hill holds up really well, I ended up playing it for the first time last year, I would say the visuals even made it scarier than Silent Hill 2. With PS1 graphics I wasn't even sure what was chasing me half the time so really could relate to the panic my little polygon man had.

Resident Evil 2 blew my mind when I finished Claire's story only to realize that now I had to play as Leon for his side of the story and also finish the cliffhanger type ending.

War of the Roses is up for preorder 20% discount if you own a Mount & Blade game $23.99 20% off 4 pack $71.99 20% off

Dunno what to think of this game, in concept and looking at it, it is like yes please I will buy it, but playing the beta, I'm not so sure :/

Ya I'd caution anyone from playing it. Imagine a sluggish slower and worse Mount and Blade :-#
Posted Image

#990 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:42 AM

Might have already been posted: http://www.greenligh...essrelease.html (people have been having trouble viewing it in Chrome). More info:

Spoiler

Good looks.

MARS