Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#11161 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

Where are these copies of Necrovision coming from on SG? Anyone know?

#11162 Blade

Blade

Adolescent Genetically Altered Shinobi Terrapin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

Where are these copies of Necrovision coming from on SG? Anyone know?

Indie Gala 11 bonuses.

#11163 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

Indie Gala 11 bonuses.

Thank you very much :D

#11164 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

Spoiler

:lol:

Does G4 and IGN have an audience with people that follow games, even?

When I think "gaming journalism" I think Polygon, RPS, Giant Bomb, etc.

So yes, comments and images like that make me roll my eyes. Because who was taking those people seriously to begin with? Pointing out their irrelevance seems unnecessary.

#11165 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

Indie Gala 11 bonuses.

All in previous bundles that I bought. :cry:

#11166 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

Please play the XBL demo before biting on Kareteka. It is not an inspiring game.

Activision drops prices on their licensed games more freely. 007 Legends could be had for cheap over BF if memory serves but that could also be caused by the dire reviews.

#11167 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

So yes, comments and images like that make me roll my eyes. Because who was taking those people seriously to begin with? Pointing out their irrelevance seems unnecessary.

I believe places like Giant Bomb and RPS also get a decent amount of comps (flights, free food/drinks/whatever) -- probably not on the same level as G4 and IGN, though. In any event, I think the whole 'game journalist' cottage industry is a bit silly. If I want an opinion on a game (if for some reason my eyes fail me and I'm unable to watch game play video on YouTube or wherever) I can simply ask people here or on other forums. Doesn't take any specialized knowledge to have an opinion on a game and I'd rather not give those guys any web hits. They're like all the political talking heads you see on CNN or Fox or wherever. Just a bunch of white noise.

I got a good chuckle the other day when Total Biscuit complained about how low the average was on the Humble THQ Bundle and sarcastically quipped about why developers are less than keen to support the PC market. That from a guy who doesn't even buy the games he plays -- they're all comped to him.

#11168 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

I believe places like Giant Bomb and RPS also get a decent amount of comps -- probably not on the same level as G4 and IGN, though. In any event, I think the whole 'game journalist' cottage industry is a bit silly. If I want an opinion on a game (if for some reason my eyes fail me and I'm unable to watch game play video on YouTube or wherever) I can simply ask people here or on other forums. Doesn't take any specialized knowledge to have an opinion on a game and I'd rather not give those guys any web hits. They're like all the political talking heads you see on CNN or Fox or wherever. Just a bunch of white noise.

I get a shitload of game codes from contests and promotions. You should probably not listen to my opinion if I post it on CAG.

#11169 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

I get a shitload of game codes from contests and promotions. You should probably not listen to my opinion if I post it on CAG.

Apples and oranges. Although for what it's worth I recognize my tastes diverge quite a bit from the majority of posters here so I take opinions with a grain of salt.

#11170 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

Friendly Neighborhood Lurker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

I just caught up on the thread...

That Biglen kid really did send me a PM; I thought he was joking!

"hey any chance you can pm a code of skyrim? saw u said u have another. just not at home to activate if you was to post it and i have been dying to finally try that game out"
Posted Image

#11171 MC Kage

MC Kage

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

Naw, I was just foolin' around.

You can map them now.

'tis truly a horrible port. I had to go into the user.cfg file to change the graphics driver smh

Posted Image
Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 | XBL: MC Kage | Official NBA 2K13 PC Thread | The BackLoggery

#11172 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

I just caught up on the thread...

That Biglen kid really did send me a PM; I thought he was joking!

"hey any chance you can pm a code of skyrim? saw u said u have another. just not at home to activate if you was to post it and i have been dying to finally try that game out"

I should have grabbed an extra copy of Skyrim during that $10 Microsoft Store sale and posted the key here. Someone would be like HOLY CRAP IT REALLY WAS SKYRIM! Then the meme would be fueled for eternity.

#11173 Steampunk Willie

Steampunk Willie

Friendly Neighborhood Lurker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

I should have grabbed an extra copy of Skyrim during that $10 Microsoft Store sale and posted the key here. Someone would be like HOLY CRAP IT REALLY WAS SKYRIM! Then the meme would be fueled for eternity.

If only someone was to do that...
Posted Image

#11174 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

Well, I gotta do something with my IGN Prime membership now...

#11175 Detruire

Detruire

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

Pity that it wasn't you.:cold:

#11176 motoki

motoki

In Soviet Russia keys activate YOU!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

IGN and G4 and all of those guys factor into Metacritic and I see people going 'I was going to buy that game but it had a low metacritic score' all the time.

They don't have to be a well read and well followed or trusted site to have a direct effect on game sales. All they have to do is get Metacritic to recognize them as "professional".

Also note that the professional score is the ONLY one Metacritic number that populates to Steam. So even if most of the users hated a game if the 'professionals' get bought off love it then that is the number that will populate to Steam and that will make the game look like a masterpiece.

Too bad Dragon Age 2 isn't on Steam anymore because that is one of the most glaring examples of the huge disconnect the professional and user scores on Metacritic can have.

#11177 Financial Panther

Financial Panther

Qui audet adipiscitur

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

Motoki, welcome back! :)

EDIT: haven't visited the Steam thread lately so don't know how long you've been back, but whatever. :D :)

#11178 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

I believe places like Giant Bomb and RPS also get a decent amount of comps (flights, free food/drinks/whatever) -- probably not on the same level as G4 and IGN, though. In any event, I think the whole 'game journalist' cottage industry is a bit silly. If I want an opinion on a game (if for some reason my eyes fail me and I'm unable to watch game play video on YouTube or wherever) I can simply ask people here or on other forums. Doesn't take any specialized knowledge to have an opinion on a game and I'd rather not give those guys any web hits. They're like all the political talking heads you see on CNN or Fox or wherever. Just a bunch of white noise.

I got a good chuckle the other day when Total Biscuit complained about how low the average was on the Humble THQ Bundle and sarcastically quipped about why developers are less than keen to support the PC market. That from a guy who doesn't even buy the games he plays -- they're all comped to him.

I see no reason to continue down this line of discussion.

However, I did want to note that you've used the term "cottage industry" twice today (here and in the Amazon thread), and that I saw it happen.

I noticed Mooby.

I noticed.

IGN and G4 and all of those guys factor into Metacritic and I see people going 'I was going to buy that game but it had a low metacritic score' all the time.

They don't have to be a well read and well followed or trusted site to have a direct effect on game sales. All they have to do is get Metacritic to recognize them as "professional".

Also note that the professional score is the ONLY one Metacritic number that populates to Steam. So even if most of the users hated a game if the 'professionals' get bought off love it then that is the number that will populate to Steam and that will make the game look like a masterpiece.

Too bad Dragon Age 2 isn't on Steam anymore because that is one of the most glaring examples of the huge disconnect the professional and user scores on Metacritic can have.

That's not a problem with game reviews, it's an issue with aggregates. And I would argue that most AAA games invariably get high aggregate scores because reviewers are wowed by polish and budget, not because they've been paid. I'm all for bashing most game reviewers and 'journalists' for being fairly mediocre and having a herd mentality when it comes to hyped up titles, but I think the notion of large-scale payoffs that are rampant through the industry makes people sound like they're talking about chemtrails or 9/11 conspiracies.

EDIT: And in responding to Motoki I sort of did continue the line of discussion. Oops. Also, to head you off at the pass for the obvious joke, I have indeed been paid by gaming journalists to deflect suspicion away from their lack of ethics on internet forums.

#11179 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

I see no reason to continue down this line of discussion.

Not intending to offend anyone. Nor persuade others to agree with my opinion. It's not one I developed just for the sake of being anti-establishment or whatever and, if you're so inclined, you can check out an article here that I largely agree with and points out a number of issues. It's not a matter of 'large scale payoffs' rather these people's livelihoods/jobs depend on their relationships with publishers. Hence, 'cottage industry.' Otherwise, I'm not prone to conspiracy theories, aliens did 9/11, Illuminati, what have you.

However, I did want to note that you've used the term "cottage industry" twice today (here and in the Amazon thread), and that I saw it happen.

I noticed Mooby.

I noticed.

Totally subconscious of me. I guess when a term is floating around in my head it'll get used in multiple instances when I put hand to keyboard. Or... was it subconscious...

Spoiler

Edited by Mooby, 04 December 2012 - 11:23 PM.

#11180 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

Not intending to offend anyone. Nor persuade others to agree with my opinion. It's not one I developed just for the sake of being anti-establishment or whatever and, if you're so inclined, you can check out an article here that I largely agree with and points out a number of issues. It's not a matter of 'large scale payoffs' rather these people's livelihoods/jobs depend on their relationships with publishers. Hence, 'cottage industry.' Otherwise, I'm not prone to conspiracy theories, aliens did 9/11, Illuminati, what have you.

Totally subconscious of me. I guess when a term is floating around in my head it'll get used in multiple instances when I put hand to keyboard. Or... was it subconscious...

Spoiler

From reading about half of that article so far (I'm going to finish it, but this is the internet and you should never ever read an entire article before stating your opinion about it) I can certainly agree with most, if not all the points that are brought up. But I think that most of the worst offenders aren't who I would consider games journalists (sites like Polygon and RPS, as I stated before) but the massive games enthusiast blogging community that attempts to pass its work off as journalism. Those are the people that get swayed by swag and free flights. When the guys who have been covering games since the mid-90's get offered a free flight to Hawaii, they're just pissed off because you're taking up four days to do what you could have done at their office in San Francisco in an afternoon.

And I only feel comfortable calling the sites that I do examples of journalism because if you take at least sites like Polygon and Giant Bomb (almost exclusively Patrick Klepek's work) they're attempting to do features that require investigation and reporting rather than simply reprinting or responding to PR releases.

#11181 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

Apples and oranges. Although for what it's worth I recognize my tastes diverge quite a bit from the majority of posters here so I take opinions with a grain of salt.

You're telling me.

Part of me wants to buy that Sega pack to legitimize my rom collection but I've paid for these games so many times over the years. Is that Sega pack good in any way?

And Sine Mora is still terrible no matter how many times I try to convince myself to like it. And if you tell me it's because I don't like shumps I will strangle you.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#11182 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

And Sine Mora is still terrible no matter how many times I try to convince myself to like it. And if you tell me it's because I don't like shumps I will strangle you.

You don't like shmups that don't star female anime characters.

#11183 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

You don't like shmups that don't star female anime characters.

No strangulation. For you, sodomy.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#11184 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

:applause:

#11185 Detruire

Detruire

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

:applause:

It's a pity that it wasn't really Skyrim.

#11186 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

How awesome is playing Deus Ex on my laptop and couch in front of my new self-installed wood burning stove?

Spoiler

#11187 MHC

MHC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

No strangulation. For you, sodomy.

Why not both?
http://www.cheapassg...line=1152153078

#11188 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Victim of the Industry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:58 PM

You have to wonder how many people are going to buy Earth 2160 as the daily deal when it was just in the Groupees bundle. Or still is, for a matter of fact. Even if it's in the second level...

I always wonder why they time things like that.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#11189 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

How awesome is playing Deus Ex on my laptop and couch in front of my new self-installed wood burning stove?

Spoiler

Is that part of a bundle somewhere?

Green Man Gaming perhaps?

I'm sorry, I'm not seeing any sales on wood-burning stove. That's a Steam code, though, right?

You have to wonder how many people are going to buy Earth 2160 as the daily deal when it was just in the Groupees bundle. Or still is, for a matter of fact. Even if it's in the second level...

I always wonder why they time things like that.

Perhaps it helps drive bundle sales? If someone wants Earth 2160 and is then pointed in the direction of the groupees bundles, they are likely to buy it. I imagine it doesn't hurt combined sales, anyway.

#11190 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Victim of the Industry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

Perhaps it helps drive bundle sales? If someone wants Earth 2160 and is then pointed in the direction of the groupees bundles, they are likely to buy it. I imagine it doesn't hurt combined sales, anyway.

I really don't know. In one of the Groupees bundles, Kaptain Brawe was included, and then suddenly the publisher said "Woops, we're running a $5 sale on Kaptain Brawe on Steam on the second day of your bundle, so we changed our mind and aren't giving you anymore Steam keys."

It SEEMS like having the game in a bundle is going to hurt any sales on Steam. And I can imagine the publisher is getting a larger cut from a Steam sale rather than a Groupees sale. While one has a part of the money going to Steam, the other has part of the money going to Groupees, charity, and probably Steam as well if it's a Steam key.

But I'm clueless to business side of it. Just seems odd.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png