Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#11251 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

Man... I wanna buy a new HDD for my games but hard to bite the bullet on Western Digital Black 2TB at $170, when the WD Green 3TB is $150. I want dat speed tho. Only got 528GB of games so far.

#11252 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

I really hate how WD fragmented the HD space. I miss the old 7200/5400 RPM distinction (and how much cache does it have).

#11253 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

I really hate how WD fragmented the HD space. I miss the old 7200/5400 RPM distinction (and how much cache does it have).

Not sure what you mean, their 4 color tiers instead of 2?

I think I'm gonna buy that Black, $10 savings expires on Thurs. Currently have my games on a 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.

Edited by Solid-Snake-Eyes, 05 December 2012 - 09:07 AM.

#11254 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Victim of the Industry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

There's a couple big Steamgifts giveaways going on right now. 150 and 100 copies of the games being given away, so you do have a good chance of winning something.

Guns of Icarus Online (Not the beta this time.)
Puddle (Some sort of liquid physics game.)

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#11255 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

PWlee daosne'stencdomnedaolnien hkatcoktihnegh haecrke!.

More like hacked a fix. It is posted in the Steam forum.
It runs way too fast without limiting frame rate.

Damn, was I too subtle with the secret message?:cry:

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg

#11256 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

Today is Help A CAG Day - Hard Drive Special!

I'm a hardware noob. I need a new HD, my existing one is 500gb and full with music and Steam. It's the only HD I have. I need another, obviously.

I'd like the flexibility of installing games and just leaving them there for future use, at present I'm taking the Mooby approach of deleting stuff I won't play for a while. Not ideal.

So, in short, what's all this colour nonsense all about (green/blue/black)? Are there any brands to aim for or avoid? Any key factors to consider? Budget is around £60.

#11257 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

Makes me glad that the vast majority of games I play are indie, casual, or adventure games. Those download in less than 15 minutes and are tiny.

#11258 Flowette

Flowette

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

I HAVE A DEAL I HAVE A DEAL STOP PRESS I ACTUALLY HAVE A DEAL.

FTL: Faster Than Light is 40% off ($5.99) at FTLgame.com and GoG.com. If you buy direct from the site you get a Steam code for it.

I've posted my thoughts on FTL before but I like it for the exact reasons some people hate it. One of my favourite games this year.

#11259 Arben

Arben

notArtist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

Do people really care about G4?

My guess would be no, since the entire channel was cancelled a few months ago, and will be wrapped up in a few more weeks. It's being replaced with something that is supposed to target the male demographic, so according to my pals that work there, this is why they've pulled the plug on the video game show and the technology stuff and whatnot.

...It's not a matter of 'large scale payoffs' rather these people's livelihoods/jobs depend on their relationships with publishers. Hence, 'cottage industry.' Otherwise, I'm not prone to conspiracy theories, aliens did 9/11, Illuminati, what have you.

In your first post I thought you were referring to bloggers, but now I'm just curious what you think this term means.

#11260 aronater

aronater

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

Speaking of hard drive space, I've got a question. I would like to uninstall some of the steam games I've completed, however if I decide I want to reinstall them I don't want to have to start over from the beginning. Is there any way to delete/uninstall a game from steam (by using the "delete local content" option), yet keep all the save and profile data so that if I reinstall the game I can pick up where I left off?

#11261 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

FTL: Faster Than Light is 40% off ($5.99) at FTLgame.com and GoG.com. If you buy direct from the site you get a Steam code for it.

I've posted my thoughts on FTL before but I like it for the exact reasons some people hate it. One of my favourite games this year.

A deal?! You can't post deals in this forum! I'm PMing a mod.

In other news, I have some lame giveaways today. . .

http://www.steamgift...y-warzone-earth

http://www.steamgift.../bittrip-runner

http://www.steamgift...mn2m/greed-corp

Too lazy to make the graphical links but these games shouldn't be a mystery to anyone.
698770.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#11262 glyph42

glyph42

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

Thanks! I've been waiting for a deal on FTL and I'm happy to buy it direct from the developer now even if it does get a bit cheaper in a future sale.

#11263 motoki

motoki

In Soviet Russia keys activate YOU!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

Re: D3, you can't really discount user reviews because they mention the always-on. Like it or not (and I certainly didn't), it's part of the game and is basically cited as a feature. Sure, it got review bombed by halfwits, but it's a legitimate aspect of the experience to consider.

It's the review bombarding and its effect on the score I have a problem with.

I agree that it's a part of the game and therefore worth discussing in reviews however I feel the score is artificially brought down much lower than it should be because people nerd raging over the always online portion are 100x more likely to post a review about it than someone who had no problems with it. Also 0 stars is too extreme.

A good bit of those people posting those scathing reviews didn't even play the game the just used it as a platform to vent their frustration and protest that sort of drm that they are ideologically opposed to.

Now I realize the always online requirement actually caused some people to have issues playing the game and that's different but as soon as that requirement was announced people were RAGING about it in multiple places on the net before the game even came out. I'm sure they couldn't wait to go post angry reviews.

#11264 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

I'm a hardware noob. I need a new HD, my existing one is 500gb and full with music and Steam. It's the only HD I have. I need another, obviously.

I'd like the flexibility of installing games and just leaving them there for future use, at present I'm taking the Mooby approach of deleting stuff I won't play for a while. Not ideal.

So, in short, what's all this colour nonsense all about (green/blue/black)? Are there any brands to aim for or avoid? Any key factors to consider? Budget is around £60.

This is what I bought for my new build: WD Blue 1TB.

It arrives today, so I can't give any thoughts yet, but the reviews I read were solid. Of course I'm probably an idiot and "doing it wrong" in some people's eyes.

Edited by Preedatore, 05 December 2012 - 02:03 PM.

#11265 plutoknight

plutoknight

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

Avoid the WD Green -- It's an HDD with special power settings (that you can disable, I guess), and all other kkinds of wonkery to make it "green" (as in, eco-friendly green). the one I had failed -just- outside the warranty.

I hear the Blues and teh Blacks are good. The Blacks are high-performance drives, iirc -- you probably don't really need that for gaming. The blues are basic, normal HDDs if I remember right. I don't know if the performance between the blues and blacks are worth anything.

#11266 Flowette

Flowette

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

Avoid the WD Green -- It's an HDD with special power settings (that you can disable, I guess), and all other kkinds of wonkery to make it "green" (as in, eco-friendly green). the one I had failed -just- outside the warranty.

I hear the Blues and teh Blacks are good. The Blacks are high-performance drives, iirc -- you probably don't really need that for gaming. The blues are basic, normal HDDs if I remember right. I don't know if the performance between the blues and blacks are worth anything.

Thanks V muchly! I was considering Green but didn't really know why other than it "looked better". I know I know, marketing to the uninformed etc. :)

#11267 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

WD Green = energy savings (econo drive)
WD Blue = fairly standard drive
WD Black = the "performance model"
WD REx = enterprise drive (24/7 usage)

I doubt you'd see a noticeable/perceivable difference between blue and black (I've had all three). It's nothing like SSD/HDD proportions, no where close. I used to prefer Hitachi drives, but they were recently acquired by WD, so I'm uncertain about any new tech. WD standard drives are currently not on my good list; due to personal experiences (and neither is Seagate). I am however using their RE drives with great success (RE3 1TB for games only). I've probably had 30 or so HDD failures of various sorts and manufacturers over the years, yet 0 (zero) REx failures, so take that for whatever it means.

#11268 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

The green drives essentially power down and stop spinning to save power when not in use. Then, when needed, spin back up. This causes more wear and tear than the standard drive, which causes a higher failure rate.

#11269 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

Speaking of hard drive space, I've got a question. I would like to uninstall some of the steam games I've completed, however if I decide I want to reinstall them I don't want to have to start over from the beginning. Is there any way to delete/uninstall a game from steam (by using the "delete local content" option), yet keep all the save and profile data so that if I reinstall the game I can pick up where I left off?

Most games store the save state in your Documents folder for instance Legend of Grimrock stores it in Documents/Almost Human/Legend of Grimrock/. As far as I know it should leave those save states after you delete local content. Other save states get stored in the games steam directory, not to sure about those. If I was removing a game I really cared about the save state for I'd find it and back it up to another source just to be safe anyway. If you can't find a specific save state a quick google search will usually do the job.

#11270 aronater

aronater

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

Most games store the save state in your Documents folder for instance Legend of Grimrock stores it in Documents/Almost Human/Legend of Grimrock/. As far as I know it should leave those save states after you delete local content. Other save states get stored in the games steam directory, not to sure about those. If I was removing a game I really cared about the save state for I'd find it and back it up to another source just to be safe anyway. If you can't find a specific save state a quick google search will usually do the job.

Hmm... wouldn't it be great if Valve added a feature to Steam, giving the option to uninstall a game, yet keep the save data, no matter the storage location :). Anyways thanks for the info. Looks like I'll have to back up my saves just to make sure I don't lose them.

#11271 Flowette

Flowette

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

Hmm... wouldn't it be great if Valve added a feature to Steam, giving the option to uninstall a game, yet keep the save data, no matter the storage location :). Anyways thanks for the info. Looks like I'll have to back up my saves just to make sure I don't lose them.

Silly question- doesn't Steam Cloud support this kind of save game functionality?

#11272 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

It does, though not all games are supported.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#11273 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

Ah, had no clue about the Green drives. I got a Caviar Green 2TB drive recently. Couldn't beat the price and the reviews were really good for it. Here's hoping it holds up though if it dies I only really keep Steam games on it so no real panic there other than having to replace it.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#11274 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Really you should hunt down the save files for any game you want to uninstall. There is a good variability in save file locations. Ubi has the most daft naming/location. Sleeping Dogs saves in the steamapps/common/sleeping\ dogs/data folder.

Should he worry about any additional step to revoke SecuROM activations?

#11275 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

It's the review bombarding and its effect on the score I have a problem with.

I agree that it's a part of the game and therefore worth discussing in reviews however I feel the score is artificially brought down much lower than it should be because people nerd raging over the always online portion are 100x more likely to post a review about it than someone who had no problems with it. Also 0 stars is too extreme.

A good bit of those people posting those scathing reviews didn't even play the game the just used it as a platform to vent their frustration and protest that sort of drm that they are ideologically opposed to.

Now I realize the always online requirement actually caused some people to have issues playing the game and that's different but as soon as that requirement was announced people were RAGING about it in multiple places on the net before the game even came out. I'm sure they couldn't wait to go post angry reviews.

And the number of people that said "Now I can't play Diablo on an airplane!" was fucking staggering.

The epitome of a first world problem.

#11276 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

Dedicated players would only book flights with wifi available.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#11277 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

Dedicated players fly during scheduled server maintenance.

Really dedicated players play Torchlight 2.

#11278 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

I'm not sure if this has been discussed on the boards yet, but I just noticed that, when I bought the Dreamcast Pack from Amazon ($4.99, Steam Keys, includes Jet Set Radio), Steam gave me the option of where (Hard Drive, Installation folder) to install the game.

This is fantastic, since restrictions to one hard drive can get cumbersome after a few years of CAGly activity.

#11279 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

I'm not sure if this has been discussed on the boards yet, but I just noticed that, when I bought the Dreamcast Pack from Amazon ($4.99, Steam Keys, includes Jet Set Radio), Steam gave me the option of where (Hard Drive, Installation folder) to install the game.

This is fantastic, since restrictions to one hard drive can get cumbersome after a few years of CAGly activity.

Yep, was part of the most recent update.

- Games managed by the new content system can select alternate installation locations other than the Steam folder (Windows)

#11280 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

Dedicated players fly during scheduled server maintenance.

Really dedicated players play Torchlight 2.

I prefer diablo over torchlight.