Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#11581 MHC

MHC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy added to Big Picture Celebration sale. $4.99 (50% off)

Not sure why I want this as much as I do considering I hate JRPGs, but hmm. Not sure if I wanna grab it now or wait. Might be safe from any indie bundling, and in the event of a 75% off sale the difference would only be $2.50. Hmmmmmm.

#11582 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

Not sure why I want this as much as I do considering I hate JRPGs, but hmm. Not sure if I wanna grab it now or wait. Might be safe from any indie bundling, and in the event of a 75% off sale the difference would only be $2.50. Hmmmmmm.

It may put off a JRPG vibe, but it doesn't play like one. I found it to be pretty fun, although I only played it for about an hour.

#11583 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

Just wanted to note, I received my emailed Desura key for Waking Mars a couple of hours ago. Rather than the contact writing me back, it was a message sent by Desura itself that the game had been gifted to me.

Same.

MARS

#11584 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

The new Bioshock Infinite screens look so enticing. They're out there in the usual websites. After skimming the articles I wish I hadn't. Some of the details are laid out incredibly plainly and I wish I'd just experience them without knowing.

Anyway, I made this little screen grab from one of the new shots so don't look if you don't want any environmental storytelling early.
Spoiler

#11585 Necrotron

Necrotron

Now with strawberry!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

The new Bioshock Infinite screens look so enticing. They're out there in the usual websites. After skimming the articles I wish I hadn't. Some of the details are laid out incredibly plainly and I wish I'd just experience them without knowing.

Anyway, I made this little screen grab from one of the new shots so don't look if you don't want any environmental storytelling early.

Spoiler

Yeah, I keep having to resist the urge to PRE-ORDER NOW!

I might fail. It looks awesome.

#11586 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hahaha, I should keep that in mind when posting Daily Deals. A cursory glance at the Product Page for Check vs Mate shows that no additional DRM is in place. (Besides Steam itself, that is.) If I missed it, feel free to correct me.

I never trust not seeing a mention of additional 3rd party DRM on the Steam page as an indication that it's not there, particularly with certain publishers I know from experience are notorious for it. Been burned too many times with that.

Also I had vage recollections that there was discussion that this game had additional DRM when it first came out. Unfortunately it was on the Steam forums but I found a remainder of it in the Google cache

http://webcache.goog...n&ct=clnk&gl=us

I'm putting this on here in the hope that I save some other schmuck from dropping $15 on this game. If you're reading this and and you are considering purchasing this title you should STOP right now, take this game out of your cart, and spend your money elsewhere.

As it stands, there are two major problems with this game:

1.) Oppressive hardware-based DRM
Check vs Mate/Battle vs Chess uses hardware based DRM similar to what Topware uses in Two Worlds. And as I recently found out, their DRM is VERY sensitive to hardware changes. Merely plugging/unplugging any external hardware uses up one activation. I have a pair of wireless headphones I use whenever the wife is asleep, and well, you can see where this is going. Support has also confirmed this in my email exchange with them, reproduced below:

Date: 2012年8月24日 15:40
Subject: Re: Battle vs. Chess - Game constantly requires activation

Hello.

Please send us the activation code.
It's just numbers, no letters. 16 of them.
Thanks.

Constantly activation can happen inc ase you use external hardware.
The system may recognize that as hardware change.

mit freundlichen Grüßen / with best regards / cordialement,

Game and Technical Support

Um eine möglichst schnelle Bearbeitung zu gewährleisten senden Sie bitte den vergangenen Mailkontakt immer mit. E-Mails mit mehreren (Cc) Empfängern benötigen eine längere Bearbeitungszeit.

Date: 2012年8月24日 15:40
Subject: Re: Battle vs. Chess - Game constantly requires activation

Hello.

Please send us the activation code.
It's just numbers, no letters. 16 of them.
Thanks.

Constantly activation can happen inc ase you use external hardware.
The system may recognize that as hardware change.

mit freundlichen Grüßen / with best regards / cordialement,

Game and Technical Support

Um eine möglichst schnelle Bearbeitung zu gewährleisten senden Sie bitte den vergangenen Mailkontakt immer mit. E-Mails mit mehreren (Cc) Empfängern benötigen eine längere Bearbeitungszeit.
The problem? The Steam version does not have the option to use a phone activation code. Activation is ONLINE ONLY. I've pointed this out to the support rep and have yet to receive a response. It has been over two days now - and I am still locked out of my $15 purchase.

Also, Gamersgate is reporting it as having "other DRM" which GetGamesGo is reporting Games For Windows Live.

I'm kind of interested but not if it's got additional non-Steam DRM.

If one of you guys does grab it can you report back on the DRM situation? There's way too many games on Steam that have additional DRM that isn't listed on the page for me to trust what the Steam page says.

#11587 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

Shoite, that's some SERIOUS BUSINESS. I haven't come across hidden DRM before in my Steam dealings, and this makes me curious. What other Steam titles have unpublished DRM?

#11588 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

Shoite, that's some SERIOUS BUSINESS. I haven't come across hidden DRM before in my Steam dealings, and this makes me curious. What other Steam titles have unpublished DRM?

There's a fair bit actually. I know Of Orcs and Men does too and there are others. The Big List of 3rd Party DRM on Steam tends to list most but it misses some, like Check Vs Mate apparently, if people don't report it to the guy maintaining it.

I chuckled when he said his wife pulled out her headphones and he lost one activation. If it were me I'd be all :twoguns:but it's so ridiculously pathetic that any publisher would take it that far.

#11589 zillionandnine

zillionandnine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

I gotta rant here a little bit about The Walking Dead.

I've had to play through the first episode a few times for various reasons, and the game has lost my save twice. Yesterday I finally finished the 1st episode, and today I went to play the 2nd episode... hey, guess what, my save is gone again!

I also upgraded to Win8 last week and the game refuses to launch if my xbox controller is plugged in (WTF?)

I really enjoy The Walking Dead in general, but this game is making me so annoyed I almost want to just put it away and never pick it up again.

</end rant>

Now I'm going to go look and see if there are some fixes for these stupid problems. I don't want to have to marathon the whole damn game in fear of losing my saves/decisions.

#11590 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

I've had to play through the first episode a few times for various reasons, and the game has lost my save twice. Yesterday I finally finished the 1st episode, and today I went to play the 2nd episode... hey, guess what, my save is gone again!

I also upgraded to Win8 last week and the game refuses to launch if my xbox controller is plugged in (WTF?)

I really enjoy The Walking Dead in general, but this game is making me so annoyed I almost want to just put it away and never pick it up again.

</end rant>

Now I'm going to go look and see if there are some fixes for these stupid problems. I don't want to have to marathon the whole damn game in fear of losing my saves/decisions.

I don't know about the lost save thing. I've lost my saves but between transferring computers and upgrading to Windows 8. There is a fix for the controller problem. I saw it on the Telltale forums. You have to DL and drop a dll filed into your walking dead folder. Very annoying that telltale didn't patch it themselves.

I have a handful of leftover July Madness Bundles - PM if interested

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#11591 zenii

zenii

cynical sam

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

I think the (hidden) reason The Walking Dead's save system is so shitty/buggy is because deep down it knows it's not a real game but an interactive movie experience.

#11592 spoderman

spoderman

I thought Harvey Dent said that

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

Just wanted to note, I received my emailed Desura key for Waking Mars a couple of hours ago. Rather than the contact writing me back, it was a message sent by Desura itself that the game had been gifted to me.

I received the same, odd that they sent gifts directly to our Desura accounts. For some reason they sent me 2 gifts, not sure what the point of that was. It lets me accept/decline the other gift, but nothing else.

#11593 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

I think the (hidden) reason The Walking Dead's save system is so shitty/buggy is because deep down it knows it's not a real game but an interactive movie experience.

Shouldn't this be happening to like 50 percent of games these days then?

#11594 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

Even movies have the ability to skip chapters and most modern players memorize where you last left off in the movie. Nice try though!

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#11595 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

HHHHMMMMMMMM. Look what I found on the Payday: The Heist achievements tab:

http://www.cheapassg...ABJRU5ErkJggg==Posted Image

I don't recall that being there before. Is it a recent addition? Is it for some Christmas achievement hunting? Is it a recent addition for some Christmas achievement hunting?!

Sorry if I'm getting unnecessarily exciteable here but I love stuff like this and we haven't had any rampant speculation for at least 14 hours

#11596 Momouchi

Momouchi

Drowning in backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

For the save game fix:

There should be a TellTale game folder in you My Documents area. In the folder there is a file called prefs.prop. Before loading the game up each time, copy this into the Walking Dead Steam folder: The Walking Dead/Patch/Default. That will load up your save games. You have to do it all the time and its a pain, but it only takes a couple seconds.

fs_overall.png

#11597 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

I don't recall that being there before. Is it a recent addition? Is it for some Christmas achievement hunting? Is it a recent addition for some Christmas achievement hunting?!

Sorry if I'm getting unnecessarily exciteable here but I love stuff like this and we haven't had any rampant speculation for at least 14 hours

It might be for Christmas, might not necessarily be for any achievement hunting. More and more games are integrating seasonal achievements regardless of any sale tie in.

#11598 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

They're from last year.

#11599 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

If you're ever curious if something is a new achievement, go to the view all achievements button, then hit View Global Achievement stats. If it's new, 0 percent will have earned it (because a lot of them sit in limbo for a few weeks before being active).

#11600 zillionandnine

zillionandnine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

I don't know about the lost save thing. I've lost my saves but between transferring computers and upgrading to Windows 8. There is a fix for the controller problem. I saw it on the Telltale forums. You have to DL and drop a dll filed into your walking dead folder. Very annoying that telltale didn't patch it themselves.

For the save game fix:

There should be a TellTale game folder in you My Documents area. In the folder there is a file called prefs.prop. Before loading the game up each time, copy this into the Walking Dead Steam folder: The Walking Dead/Patch/Default. That will load up your save games. You have to do it all the time and its a pain, but it only takes a couple seconds.

Thank you both. I can now launch the game with my controller plugged in, and I got my save files back. Hopefully that prefs.prop thing will work for me. I'll try it next time I launch the game.

#11601 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

It's been there since last year. apparently I unlocked it Dec 24, 2011.
spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#11602 Flowette

Flowette

Level 64 Tea Drinking Royalty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

#11603 Naked Snake Eyes

Naked Snake Eyes

What would Snake do?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

That Walking Dead save glitch sounds like a real pain in the ass, glad I didn't run into that.

#11604 Fluxy

Fluxy

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:21 AM

i hope all the sr3 dlc gets on sale on xmas, i wants

#11605 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:31 AM

I recall reviews of Check vs Mate painting it as a really poor Battlechess knockoff. In Battle Chess, every combat is unique, i.e. pawn takes pawn is different from pawn takes bishop. In Check vs Mate most battles are the same, i.e. pawn take pawn is the same as pawn takes bishop. You would be better off snagging Battle Chess Special Edition from GoG ($6 list, $2.39 on sale).

Rook eating Queen in Battle Chess still stands out as one of the more disturbing gaming memories of my youth.

Anyone know when the Killing Floor winter event's due?
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#11606 travathian

travathian

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:35 AM

<snip>

Yeah, I wish I had read about this on the Steam or official forums, cause I would have just skipped the game, especially after the horrid experience I had with Poker Night. Telltale can die in a fire for all I care. They may be great story tellers, but their programmers are total Fuck ups, and their QA department even worse.

#11607 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

Kawaii desu~

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:35 AM

Yeah, I wish I had read about this on the Steam or official forums, cause I would have just skipped the game, especially after the horrid experience I had with Poker Night. Telltale can die in a fire for all I care. They may be great story tellers, but their programmers are total Fuck ups, and their QA department even worse.

This is why I've ignored the game for so long...

I'd rather pick it up for under $10 and fixed, rather than $15ish and broken. I HATE losing saves.

Terraria - $2 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#11608 motoki

motoki

Sailor Sakura Sweetleaf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:57 AM

So I was browsing new releases on various sites and came across this:

Posted Image

What What? In the butt.

Posted Image

Oh those wacky Germans*

*Disclaimer: Just because the writing in the video is in German and the game is about scheisse does not guarantee that the people who made it are in fact of the German nationality and that is purely conjecture on my part. :-P

Edited by Motoki, 08 December 2012 - 01:10 AM.

#11609 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

Posted Image

I thought that it was a joke until I noticed that the image was a link. :lol:

#11610 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:08 AM

Spoiler

Edit: I didn't noticed the pic-link. It's the same game.

How confusing. There was an earlier Toilet Tycoon, #6 worst game of all time pcgamer.com.

The idea of this one is to run your own toilet empire, starting with empty stalls and kitting them out with seats, cisterns, condom machines and everything else a passing person may need for a truly satisfying dump. There may possibly be a less appealing premise for a management game out there, but only if someone had the equally misjudged idea to turn Concentration Camp Tycoon from sarcastic pub joke into an actual product.

Posted Image