Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#91 facls

facls

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:01 PM

Am I the only one that's having trouble finding this thread on the forum list? I guess it's because there's no Windows icon next to the thread.

As for Dead Space, it's a good thing I'm not really interested in them. It's 75% off in Brazil, but the base price is $ 59.99, so the "deal" is actually $14.99.

#92 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

I actually just got that Three Kingdoms series! :bouncy: Makes me wish there was a English release for more of these type of shows and movies.

Though never heard of the other so I'll have to search those out now as well. and get those. :applause:

^_^ A much shorter (10 episode) one that I really enjoyed was Tempest . It takes place at the very end of the Edo period (ends just after the Meiji Restoration). It differs in that it takes place in Ryukyu (Okinawa) Kingdom, which struggled to assert independence over it's own affairs as it had dual subordination to both the Qing Dynasty and Japan.

A 7-episode series following a swordsman in the Edo period comes to mind, but the name escapes me.

#93 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

Apparently Cladun X2 is now on Steam. This is actually quite a solid title from the PSP.

I was looking at it and thinking it looks cute and interesting and I was actually thinking about saying to hell with waiting for a bundle and paying full price but then I looked at the price and got sticker shock. :shock:

Do people really pay $20 for little retro looks like it came from RPG maker 20 years ago games on the PSN? If so that must be the indie games gold mine.

>.> Where's that Nexus 7 pre-order... ah well it was $224 shipped for the 16GB, I can wait. (Besides it seems there are some minor screen issues in some of the early production runs.)

I don't need no steenkin Nexus, I still got my fire sale HP Touchpad. They've already got Jellybean out for it, albeit an early release that still needs work.

ICS runs fine on it though, most games work and so does everything else but the camera.

OK, I know these are not on Steam, but for the love of all that is right in the world, someone please

Spoiler
explain to me why these things are needed.

This
This
Why does this even exist?

I just do not understand this madness....... but if they come to Steam I will buy one of them for Motoki to play for damn sure.

I am just replying to say that I actually do want all of them and if they were on Steam I surely would have bought them by now. I don't know what it is, but the more ridiculous or mundane a simulator is the more I am interested.

Too bad most of them are made in Europe which is still in the dark ages of digital distribution and rules under the iron fisted grip of the cruel mistresses Tages and Securom.

steam_sig.png

#94 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

Heads up, according to Tony in the Amazon thread regarding the Dead Space 1 & 2 pack

we'll have the same pack for $8 during the Labor Day sale so matching at $10 now doesn't make sense.

I wouldn't bet on it being steam activateable.

#95 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

I was looking at it and thinking it looks cute and interesting and I was actually thinking about saying to hell with waiting for a bundle and paying full price but then I looked at the price and got sticker shock. :shock:

Do people really pay $20 for little retro looks like it came from RPG maker 20 years ago games on the PSN? If so that must be the indie games gold mine.

It's actually fairly in-depth on customization if I remember correctly and it doesn't really look like it came from RPG Maker at all. It's an Action RPG made by a subsidiary developer of Nippon Ichi Software. It the second game in the series, both of which are on the PSP.

It's actually quite fun as I've played the first one on PSP but never got around to the second. I think it released at $20 or $30 on the PSP and anyone who's into these types of games it's worth it in my opinion. If you aren't though, then just wait for a sale. Hell, this is the steam thread I'm talking to so you'll only buy it if it's at least 50% off. :lol:

#96 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

Not going to get myself too excited about the latest Humble Android bundle. Last one turned out to be wholly underwhelming after I played the games.

#97 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

It's actually fairly in-depth on customization if I remember correctly and it doesn't really look like it came from RPG Maker at all. It's an Action RPG made by a subsidiary developer of Nippon Ichi Software. It the second game in the series, both of which are on the PSP.

It's actually quite fun as I've played the first one on PSP but never got around to the second. I think it released at $20 or $30 on the PSP and anyone who's into these types of games it's worth it in my opinion. If you aren't though, then just wait for a sale. Hell, this is the steam thread I'm talking to so you'll only buy it if it's at least 50% off. :lol:

Oh my bad it's from the PSP not PSN, now I get why it's so expensive. Crazy console people and their high prices. :-P

Anyway, I think the Japanese WAY overpriced that for the Steam market. When all is said and done, it still looks like a little indie retro game. I mean Valve classified Ys as indie and this looks way indier (is that a word?) than Ys to me.

I will definitely wait for a sale of course but 50% won't cut it. I'm waiting for 75% off or at least they could do some multiple packs or something.

steam_sig.png

#98 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:30 PM

Not going to get myself too excited about the latest Humble Android bundle. Last one turned out to be wholly underwhelming after I played the games.

True, I just like the chance to pick up a few Android games that I will rarely play. Though I was happy to get some of the games on android (vs PC/Mac/Linux). Though I am surprised how worse World of Goo was on a fat-fingered-touchscreen -- it was a perfect match for playing on my wacom pad.

#99 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

Oh my bad it's from the PSP not PSN, now I get why it's so expensive. Crazy console people and their high prices. :-P

Anyway, I think the Japanese WAY overpriced that for the Steam market. When all is said and done, it still looks like a little indie retro game. I mean Valve classified Ys as indie and this looks way indier (is that a word?) than Ys to me.

I will definitely wait for a sale of course but 50% won't cut it. I'm waiting for 75% off or at least they could do some multiple packs or something.

Couldn't say why they're showing up as Indie really, but neither are really classified as such. Though this wouldn't be the first time that games that shouldn't be indie are being classified as indie on Steam.

#100 zillionandnine

zillionandnine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

Excited about that Humble Bundle for Android. My touchpad needs more games! I just hope I don't already own all the games in it. What a first world problem to have :P

#101 Woodlands

Woodlands

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

OK, I know these are not on Steam, but for the love of all that is right in the world, someone please explain to me why these things are needed.

I think the "real" answer is that digital distribution for video game enthusiasts is a secondary market. There are very niche markets for these games: they're cheap to produce, no one's looking for cutting-edge graphics, and they can sit on the shelf at a department or office supply store until the target customer happens by. Then they're scooped up as gifts for people in the tow-truck industry, or to throw onto the lumber yard's office computer for a lark, or by bungee-jumping enthusiasts, or to show Timmy what dad's job driving a big-rig is like. Blue-collar casual gaming is pretty popular, and a lot of them are sold to people who don't typically game.

#102 Syntax Error

Syntax Error

Tortue d'Art

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

they're cheap to produce

Especially since once you have the game engine down for a tow truck simulator, adapting it to a bulldozer simulator or tractor simulator or sod cutter simulator is pretty easy.

#103 Crizume

Crizume

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

Holy crap at the elder scrolls book. Very nice.

And man this thread has picked up some speed.

#104 INCyr

INCyr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

Kinda underwhelmed by todays social update - Groups. Hoping for something more exciting tomorrow.

#105 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:16 PM

Kinda underwhelmed by todays social update - Groups. Hoping for something more exciting tomorrow.

I actually like it. I hadn't really messed with the groups until very recently but now that I have I can see how limited they are and how much work they need.

Even simple things like having separate discussion threads that aren't annoucements that spam everyone up are really needed.

Also:

Each group can now proudly list their favorite games for others to find.

Finally we can put the Coconut Queen back up on the group page where she belongs. :mrgreen:

steam_sig.png

#106 INCyr

INCyr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

I actually like it. I hadn't really messed with the groups until very recently but now that I have I can see how limited they are and how much work they need.

Even simple things like having separate discussion threads that aren't annoucements that spam everyone up are really needed.

Also:

Finally we can put the Coconut Queen back up on the group page where she belongs. :mrgreen:

Oh sure, I don't think anyone would dispute that the groups (among other things) needs work. But it just seems like something they could update without much fanfare - I dont' think it requires an announcement or anything. I don't know. Maybe I'm just cranky today.

#107 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:32 PM

Oh sure, I don't think anyone would dispute that the groups (among other things) needs work. But it just seems like something they could update without much fanfare - I dont' think it requires an announcement or anything. I don't know. Maybe I'm just cranky today.

Oh I agree all this stuff so far is like DUH why the hell didn't you have this in the first place, but I guess for them it's a big deal. Posted Image

steam_sig.png

#108 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

Also:

Agreed. These are nice small improvements to the group pages, particularly discussion threads. There's still a fair number of things they could add/fix to group pages, but this is a start. More of this, less of game hubs, please

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#109 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

Cladun didn't impress me on PSP, especially on a sysyem that has been in its waning years filled with almost nothing but kitschy JRPGs
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#110 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

^_^ A much shorter (10 episode) one that I really enjoyed was Tempest . It takes place at the very end of the Edo period (ends just after the Meiji Restoration). It differs in that it takes place in Ryukyu (Okinawa) Kingdom, which struggled to assert independence over it's own affairs as it had dual subordination to both the Qing Dynasty and Japan.

A 7-episode series following a swordsman in the Edo period comes to mind, but the name escapes me.

Another good recommendation! I'll go ahead and add that to the list to track as well. I swear being a stay at home parent I devour media like some kind of digital locust. :bouncy:

Oh I agree all this stuff so far is like DUH why the hell didn't you have this in the first place, but I guess for them it's a big deal. Posted Image

This reminds of those work place, "competition" type things you see office centers do, where they try and make some fancy event to try and push some new thing or sale numbers. I imagine the Steam office filled with tons of balloons and poorly made banners and bar charts. blowing a horn everytime they make a announcement.

Cladun didn't impress me on PSP, especially on a sysyem that has been in its waning years filled with almost nothing but kitschy JRPGs

Hot shots golf was all I ended up playing on the PSP when I had one 8-)
Posted Image

#111 jimbodan

jimbodan

Hates you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:34 PM

^ This.

I'm really not a big fan of the Android bundles. Seems like they don't usually pick very good games or if they do it's something I already have.

Think you're good at Fantasy Sports? Check out Fanduel where you can play daily to win money on Fantasy Sports!

https://www.fanduel....jimbodan&cnl=da

fs_pc.png

#112 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

Because there's NOTHING GOOD on Android.

Speaking of which, Gamebook Adventures 1: An Assassin in Orlandes hit Android recently AND PC on Desura, which makes it a perfect possible inclusion for this bundle. GA1 ALONE would make the bundle worth it if you like CYOA books. I absolutely recommend this if it is a theoretical choice offered.

Speaking of Desura, for you CAGs still on the fence, confirmed 2012 game of the year Banzai Pecan dropped to $9. Yes, that's the one with the girl battling the "Sexilicious Seven" in case you missed it.

EDIT: Oddly enough BP runs like shit in molasses on my computer, my computer which can handle MP3 and Sleeping Dogs pretty soundly (Though not overwhelmingly so). Runs smooth as butter on my laptop and I have no clue why.

http://www.desura.co...e-young-century

Also available on Indievania and Indie City, two services which sound awful because they have indie in the name.

For what it's worth, I actually give this one a serious recommendation. There's a demo for it so you can see if you like it. As a beat-em-up, it hits all the things I want to see, especially a cast of entirely evil demon women, satisfying hits etc, as well as a God Hand sway dodge though without anything approaching the tightness of God Hand's sway and counter. Note that I love beat-em-ups, especially with girls so yeaaaah I am no unbiased source.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#113 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:27 PM

Because there's NOTHING GOOD on Android.

Too strong of a statement imo. Admittedly the HIB Android releases haven't hit that wow factor. But there are other releases that have their fanbase, Final Fantasy 1, Final Fantasy III (based on the NDS remake). I am personally looking forward to the upcoming port of The Bard's Tale (2004 version) to Android.

#114 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

Anybody else having Steam issues right now? All my friends went offline suddenly and have been supposedly offline for hours.

#115 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:49 PM

Anybody else having Steam issues right now? All my friends went offline suddenly and have been supposedly offline for hours.

Happens occasionally. I'm back "online" now. If it's not back for you, go to your friends list and set your status to "online" as that can sometimes fix if it doesn't do it automatically.

#116 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:17 AM

Thanks for the video, know now to pass on it. Multiplayer focused tower defense seems like a really weird niche. I guess main thing will be how active the game is and how easy it is to find a game in it.

I was concerned about that as well. I'm more of a single player/co-op player. I did hear there's some sort of singleplayer mode but it sounds more like a gametype than full SP support. I'm going to have to look into it more before I buy. But damn does it ever look fun.

That happens to me sometimes too. Usually I restart Steam and find I have a ton of pop-up Steam ads awaiting (today there were 9). It's like it chokes Steam or something....

76561197971332172.png

#117 jkimrey

jkimrey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:19 AM

Would love, love, love a It Came From the Desert HD remake. :)
And the Rocket one...Man, Cinemaware was *awesome*.

A couple of kickstarters that look interesting (probably non-Steam):

Wings. I'm probably going to toss a few bucks toward this one myself. I can remember wasting many hours of my youth playing this on my Amiga 1000. Cinemaware made some great games for that platform, generally with some pretty ugly PC ports (EGA probably). If this is successful, I hope that an HD remake of It Came From The Desert is next.

Tales of Fallen London. This looks like a mashup of collectible card games, text adventures, and RPGs. It's already successful and on for 19 more days, so take a look if it sounds vaguely intriguing. . . . (I should add for the Coconut-minded among us that the $15 tier title is "Succulent Backer.")

#118 Woodlands

Woodlands

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:21 AM

They announced scheduled downtime earlier today.

#119 IkedaTeramusa

IkedaTeramusa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:30 AM

Too strong of a statement imo. Admittedly the HIB Android releases haven't hit that wow factor. But there are other releases that have their fanbase, Final Fantasy 1, Final Fantasy III (based on the NDS remake). I am personally looking forward to the upcoming port of The Bard's Tale (2004 version) to Android.

iPad has had that for quite a while now.

You know what Android DOES have quite a few of? Hacks, Viruses, Keyloggers, and the like.

Android is AWESOME. /s

#120 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:38 AM

iPad has had that for quite a while now.

You know what Android DOES have quite a few of? Hacks, Viruses, Keyloggers, and the like.

Android is AWESOME. /s

:roll:

Yeah well I paid $149 for mine vs $600 for one of those items from the Church of Jobs so I think I'll manage. Somehow I don't have any hacks, viruses or keyloggers that apparently every Android user gets in spite of downloading a shit ton of stuff.

/s

And after having said that, I will quote what was said yesterday CAN WE NOT?

Otherwise I'm going to have to start talking about fetishes for handicapped Asian women to deflect the conversation. :-P

steam_sig.png