Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#1171 redividedbyd

redividedbyd

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:51 PM

My current 5770 has done well, but it has one seriously annoying flaw that I'm terrified I'll run into on the 7970: stuttering/judder in fullscreen. The FPS will be rocksteady according to every counter I throw at it, but there's a noticeable (to me) stutter in many games at fullscreen. Windowed mode, it goes away.

Just out of curiosity (and apologies if this seems patronizing since no one else asked), do you use Vsync in games? I remember that in Saints Row: The Third for example I had ridiculously bad tearing after switching to full screen mode before remembering to turn Vsync on in the settings (which I hadn't switched on from the start because I'd been playing it exclusively in windowed mode).

Alternatively, have you tried "forcing Vsync" in the Vision Engine Control Center (actual option is "wait for vertical refresh" with the slider all the way to the right)? If not it could solve the problem in some games that for whatever reason don't have a Vsync option in their settings (setting triple buffering might help as well), and if you have it might actually be the problem. Too many signals crossed and whatnot, particularly with games that run Vsync by default in full screen mode (probably not all that common for this very reason).

Just to throw this out there for anybody else following along at home who isn't quite sure what I'm talking about here (google can help), as long as you've got the hardware (ie: not Intel HD 2/3/4000 integrated graphics, any GPU over $100 can cover you here) Vsync is your friend in full screen mode, and if for whatever reason you still suffer tearing (look it up on wikipedia, you'll recognize it right away) try to stick to windowed mode. Most games with a decent budget (eg: the aforementioned Saints Row: The Third) will let you set a resolution which is just slightly shorter than your monitor's actual one so the bottom of the screen doesn't get cut off by the task bar.

#1172 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:53 PM

I have FFT on my shelf. Great game and I've played it many times! I can't say that I've tried Jade Cocoon. The PS was a great console and I hope mine hangs around for a long long time.

Spoiler

And I have FFT on my PSP. Played for a bit, but got my ass handed to me by archers.

Spoiler

Agreed 100% on Final Fantasy Tactics. That is my number one Playstation game hands down. I will have to give Jade Cocoon a try. I bought it the day it came out, and it is still in my backlog. Woo!

Spoiler

Hubby and I just played an hour or so of Lord of the Rings: War in the North.

Spoiler

Two great ones IMO, FFT was the first game I bought for the Playstation. I still play it every once and a while now. I never owned Jade Cocoon but my best friend at the time did, and I used to play it a lot. I wouldn't say its one of my top games from that era, but I did enjoy the game. And honestly I am a bit surprised to see anyone else who knows of it, cause it didn't seem very popular then or now looking back.

Spoiler

Oh gosh, that's probably my first or second favorite game of all time. I have put so many hours into that game, and started so many games on it that I can't even hazard a guess. I only beat one save though, and actually did everything (finding every item in Deep Dungeon... oh god).

That rooftop mission is ridiculous though, you're right. I got stuck there and probably stopped playing the game for 6 months. The only way I got past it was investing in Flare on my wizard. All you have to do is put one enemy (Celia or Lede or the other guy) into critical status to complete the mission, IIRC. Flare is a really powerful, one-hit-kill kind of spell, so it did the trick for me.

You should give it another try!

Y'know, I had the game at one point, but I ended up selling it. It seemed interesting, but the tank style movement turned me off. The voice overs were a very nice touch though; I didn't give the game enough of a chance.

Spoiler

Yup. That's pretty much what I did.

I never actually beat the game. I was woefully outmatched in a late battle that I couldn't exit out of, and I had no save that I could take a step back to. Still, I played a crapton of it.

Spoiler

I was approached my a few men on my way home; I feared the worst. They made me buy the Indie Face Kick Bundle. I would get rid of it and put it on steamgifts, but the authorities say I can't and that I wouldn't have it if I didn't want it "because the female body rejects 'legitimate bundles.'"

:applause:

Spoiler

Also does anyone have any thoughts on this Bitcomposer/Viva bundle?
Posted Image

#1173 JustYourAverageJoe

JustYourAverageJoe

Dances With Deals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:00 PM

Argh, was just about all set on the GTX670 but I keep reading how much OC headroom there is on the 7970, and how vital the extra VRAM will be for newer games to come out (and for Skyrim HD mods. I am a huge mod nut for that game, and am right at the VRAM limit on my 5770, and that's with using mid-tier quality on some mods to keep the size down.)

Man, Fuck this shit. I ain't made for making decisions involving money in the triple-digit range. :cry:

Just out of curiosity (and apologies if this seems patronizing since no one else asked), do you use Vsync in games? I remember that in Saints Row: The Third for example I had ridiculously bad tearing after switching to full screen mode before remembering to turn Vsync on in the settings (which I hadn't switched on from the start because I'd been playing it exclusively in windowed mode).

Alternatively, have you tried "forcing Vsync" in the Vision Engine Control Center (actual option is "wait for vertical refresh" with the slider all the way to the right)? If not it could solve the problem in some games that for whatever reason don't have a Vsync option in their settings (setting triple buffering might help as well), and if you have it might actually be the problem. Too many signals crossed and whatnot, particularly with games that run Vsync by default in full screen mode (probably not all that common for this very reason).

Yep, I force Vsync and triple buffering through D3DOverrider on most every game. It happened regardless of anything I tried. I broke down and now use a mod that runs it in windowed and expands it out to a fake fullscreen.
Posted Image

#1174 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:04 PM

For half the price of that laptop you can build a pretty substantial desktop that will be upgradeable for the future. With half of the other half of the money you can buy a solid laptop that can play plenty of good games on the go. Then you can put the rest of that money away for games/upgrades.

Sorry, that doesn't help me out. I know how much cheaper it would be to build a desktop, but I need to be mobile. I'm asking about a laptop, the Alienware M18.

Well the tank control is really the only problem I can see modern gamers having when going back or trying it now days but everything else should be fine. Then again been many years since i've played the game. I should go back to it again one year. :lol:

I actually have no problem with tank controls most of the time, but only when they fit the game. For example, the old Resident Evils are perfect with tank controls; I couldn't play them without tank controls. But when it comes to RPGs, I really can't see it as a good fit. Chrono Cross is probably my favorite RPG of the style it is, and seeing its similarities to Jade Cocoon (just in graphics, etc), it worked amazingly without tank controls. I'm still not sure why Jade Cocoon was made with tank controls.

That said, it's a pretty minor complaint. I will still have to give the game a try one of these days, control qualms aside.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#1175 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:06 PM

While we're on the subject of video cards, what would be the best choice in an Alienware M18?

Instead of Alienware may I suggest checking out http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php
They use the same hardware and allow you to customize it as well. They are much cheaper, the only difference is it wont be all flashy like the Alienware.

I've bought from them in the past and my friend has ordered 2 laptops from them as well (one not long ago) and never had a problem with them either.

#1176 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

Instead of Alienware may I suggest checking out http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php
They use the same hardware and allow you to customize it as well. They are much cheaper, the only difference is it wont be all flashy like the Alienware.

I've bought from them in the past and my friend has ordered 2 laptops from them as well (one not long ago) and never had a problem with them either.

Id probably go with them if they offered financing....thats why I got an Alienware before...0% financing

#1177 jimbodan

jimbodan

Hates you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:12 PM

For half the price of that laptop you can build a pretty substantial desktop that will be upgradeable for the future. With half of the other half of the money you can buy a solid laptop that can play plenty of good games on the go. Then you can put the rest of that money away for games/upgrades.

Not to be snarky, but he is 100% right, save the money and don't get an Alienware you are just paying a lot extra for the brand. If you need a laptop look elsewhere.

Think you're good at Fantasy Sports? Check out Fanduel where you can play daily to win money on Fantasy Sports!

https://www.fanduel....jimbodan&cnl=da

fs_pc.png

#1178 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:14 PM

I've never heard of them, and one of the reasons I'm probably going with Alienware is because I only hear good things about them (especially from a tech wiz friend of mine), and I think they offer pretty good support. They're expensive, but they're supposed to be quality machines. I hear good about Asus too, so I'm not totally set on AW.

My question was what VIDEO CARD would be good in an Alienware M18, not what other brand I should buy instead. >.>

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#1179 CAGkrazy

CAGkrazy

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:16 PM

Edge, Osmos, Anomaly Warzone Earth, and World of Goo were added to the Humble Android Bundle 3. If you already bought it and someone don't already have them from bundles, they should show up in your Steam library soon. You may need to restart.

If you haven't purchased the bundle yet you'll need to beat the average to get them.

I may finally buy my first ever indie bundle... i dont have any of these games yet so good buy for sure. plus it helps me cut down on entries i enter in steamgifts for some of these games.

Btw, out of all the bundles, Humble Bundles are the only ones that accept amazon payments right? They should include amazon payments on the other indie bundle sites... instead of just paypal to attract more people like myself that dont have paypal. hehe!

#1180 KaOTiK

KaOTiK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

Just trying to save you a ton of cash for nearly the same thing by a very reputable company that has been doing this for quite sometime now.

The other thing you always hear when you hear Alienwares are good is that they are also a total ripoff as well.

#1181 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:27 PM

Should we be guessing what video cards are offered, or were you going to give us a list of choices? Alienware is overpriced for what you get and I'm surprised someone who is considered a "tech wiz" would recommend them.

Also, the midweek bundle is a pile of hot garbage and at least two of the titles have bene in bundles. I'd wait until Stalker and anything else you'd want it for go on individual sale.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#1182 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:31 PM

Just trying to save you a ton of cash for nearly the same thing by a very reputable company that has been doing this for quite sometime now.

The other thing you always hear when you hear Alienwares are good is that they are also a total ripoff as well.

Oh of course, I get where you're coming from. Like I said, I may not necessarily go with AW in the end, but I'm going to have enough money on my hands to actually splurge and buy a nice, quality machine that shouldn't just randomly break like my previous ones have here and there. I mean, it's still Windows, but I'm willing to spend more for quality construction, a strong reputation, and good support. For example, Dell has great support, but their machines blow chunks. Alienware is really high end Dell, so ironically that's a plus in my book as far as the support angle goes.

This has gotten derailed though, so I'll ask my original question in a simpler way:

What would the smartest choice for a VIDEO CARD in a brand new, sparkly laptop be?

bZ2g3eF.png

#1183 Psydero

Psydero

Today you, tomorrow me.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:31 PM

Alienware is overpriced for what you get and I'm surprised someone who is considered a "tech wiz" would recommend them.

My thoughts exactly.

#1184 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:32 PM

I've never heard of them, and one of the reasons I'm probably going with Alienware is because I only hear good things about them (especially from a tech wiz friend of mine), and I think they offer pretty good support. They're expensive, but they're supposed to be quality machines. I hear good about Asus too, so I'm not totally set on AW.

My question was what VIDEO CARD would be good in an Alienware M18, not what other brand I should buy instead. >.>

Looking at it as if I couldn't care less about money, for a mere $550 more, the 7970m alone provides more than double the performance of the 660m, let alone dual in xfire mode. We understand you want to be mobile, but the cost of what you are looking at has no justification.

#1185 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

Should we be guessing what video cards are offered, or were you going to give us a list of choices? Alienware is overpriced for what you get and I'm surprised someone who is considered a "tech wiz" would recommend them.

He didn't recommend them due to price. He's been a tech for PCs as well as worked for Apple, and he has both Apples and PCs. He swears by Apples, just for OS reasons, but if he had to choose any PC to have, he'd go with an Alienware for quality (not price).

bZ2g3eF.png

#1186 Psydero

Psydero

Today you, tomorrow me.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:35 PM

He didn't recommend them due to price. He's been a tech for PCs as well as worked for Apple, and he has both Apples and PCs. He swears by Apples, just for OS reasons, but if he had to choose any PC to have, he'd go with an Alienware for quality (not price).

Ah, it all makes sense now.

#1187 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:35 PM

I have a dell XPS (since dell bought alienware, M series its basically a super/flashy XPS) and it has been .rock solid reliable for 16 months.

#1188 - Glenn -

- Glenn -

The CAG formerly known as glennfrank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

I looked again at the indie face kick bundle just now - mainly out of curiosity. 26 bundles sold since yesterday, with 38+ days left. OOOOFFFH. What do you all think the chances of them adding something/dropping the minimum price on it?

Edited by glennfrank, 22 August 2012 - 11:49 PM.

#1189 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:39 PM

Ah, it all makes sense now.

Yeah, he's not exactly frugal, lol.

That said, awhile ago I was looking at a REFURBISHED M18 for around $2000 with and Intel Core i7 2720QM 2.2GHz processor and Crossfire 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6970Ms.

It seemed like a nice setup in my price range, but there's so much negativity about AMD cards. The refurbished thing turns me off anyways.

bZ2g3eF.png

#1190 redividedbyd

redividedbyd

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:41 PM

Its not really that one is better than another as they go back and forth. It just depends on what gives you better bang for your buck at that price point. Nvidia for me is kind of a tried and true and I have generally had less issues with their cards. They also for many years had much much better linux support. Nowaday I don't know if ATI/AMD are any better.

For whatever it's worth (just quoted your post for a point of reference, not trying to call you out or anything) AMD has "finally" committed to adopting Nvidia's driver release format (not that they put it this way) after years of forced monthly releases which almost always came way too late for day 0 game purchases and went a long way towards fostering the "AMD drivers suck" mentality. I'm not sure how quick they've been getting out "application profiles" and/or beta drivers for specific AAA games since like a true CAG I never buy a PC game the day it comes out (anyone that's curious should keep an eye on Darksiders II since it appears to be a tad titchy for AMD owners so far), but for games that aren't borked at the high end in favor of one company or another's GPUs from the start this should help AMD's performance parity. Unfortunately the immediate benefits for AMD owners is more or less restricted to Windows as Linux has turned into an even weirder ballgame for everybody (Linus hates Nvidia? WTF!?) lately... Crossfire is also going to continue to suck worse than SLI outside of multi-monitor setups (where Nvidia is at least making progress) for the foreseeable future even though the hardware is there for AMD this round.

Also, even though "out of box" performance is solidly in favor of Nvidia's new line at each price point their prices aren't coming down any time soon due to supply constraints (which have finally improved to the point that you don't have to overpay for a 680) whereas AMDkeeps dropping their MSRPs (alas not for the 7970 this round!) each time a new Nvidia card comes out.

Meanwhile even though AMD might have done something funny with their stock clocks in retrospect overclocking is great from the 7700 series on up so long as you (have your PC in a different room while gaming like CheapyD is wont to) don't mind the increased heat/noise/power draw, but due to the aforementioned supply constraints (or bad engineering if you believe Charlie) Nvidia has locked down the voltage on their cards so what you buy is pretty much what you get. That's without going into the disappearing act that CUDA has done since GPUcompute is about the last thing any of us care about.

All that said (people should just buy a GTX 670 and worry about the rest in a couple years), the best price/performance ratio at the moment is still in last gen cards like the HD 6950 that can be OCed/flashed into a 6970 but those will presumably come off the market eventually... Just like the black edition Phenom II CPUs did.

#1191 plft

plft

Ploceus castaneiceps

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

Yeah, he's not exactly frugal, lol.

That said, awhile ago I was looking at a REFURBISHED M18 for around $2000 with and Intel Core i7 2720QM 2.2GHz processor and Crossfire 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6970Ms.

It seemed like a nice setup in my price range, but there's so much negativity about AMD cards. The refurbished thing turns me off anyways.

At least with Dell refurbs (Alienware is probably the same) a bunch of them are machines ordered and built and then canceled. I've picked up a few Dell refurb laptops from the outlet and none of them have had issues. If you're wary, just grab the warranty which for Dell is actually worth it.

#1192 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:49 PM

This has gotten derailed though, so I'll ask my original question in a simpler way:

What would the smartest choice for a VIDEO CARD in a brand new, sparkly laptop be?

Should we be guessing what video cards are offered, or were you going to give us a list of choices?

x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#1193 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:51 PM

At least with Dell refurbs (Alienware is probably the same) a bunch of them are machines ordered and built and then canceled. I've picked up a few Dell refurb laptops from the outlet and none of them have had issues. If you're wary, just grab the warranty which for Dell is actually worth it.

I've just had REALLY bad luck with Dells. I mean, Alienware is Dell, but apparently they just don't have the same issues Dell has.

I'd riff on Dell, but I won't... The list of complaints I have is just way too long. Suffice to say, I'm not buying a Dell. >_<

bZ2g3eF.png

#1194 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:54 PM

Should we be guessing what video cards are offered, or were you going to give us a list of choices?

I don't have a list on hand; I have to do more shopping around. I was just wondering what is considered the best cost + quality video card (or cards) around right now. It seems like you can get an Alienware in it with pretty much anything in it.

bZ2g3eF.png

#1195 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:59 PM

Wow. Din's Curse was finally released on Steam.

http://store.steampo...com/app/217290/

Thanks for pointing this out! I bought it elsewhere on a really good sale but it kind of got lost in the shuffle when the next Steam sale hit and I've yet to play it.

#1196 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:00 AM

I've just had REALLY bad luck with Dells. I mean, Alienware is Dell, but apparently they just don't have the same issues Dell has.

I'd riff on Dell, but I won't... The list of complaints I have is just way too long. Suffice to say, I'm not buying a Dell. >_<

A few.years ago something big changed in their manufacturing process and or parts. Their quality shot waayy up in just a short time. Id explain it but I can't seem to remember

#1197 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:05 AM

A few.years ago something big changed in their manufacturing process and or parts. Their quality shot waayy up in just a short time. Id explain it but I can't seem to remember

Hmm... Well the plastic beneath my laptop's screen just split from opening the screen. Normally I'd understand that to happen at some point, but I treat my electronics with a ridiculous amount of care, and I really haven't had the machine for that long. When I open and close the screen, I could always tell that there was a noticeable "tug" against the swivel components that would eventually spell disaster.

Not a huge deal, but it's just shown me (yet again) how shoddy the construction of Dells are. If they're better now, I don't know, but I feel it's high time to give a new company/division a try. Dell has gotten too much of me and my family's money, lol.

bZ2g3eF.png

#1198 Blade

Blade

Adolescent Genetically Altered Shinobi Terrapin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:05 AM

I don't have a list on hand; I have to do more shopping around. I was just wondering what is considered the best cost + quality video card (or cards) around right now. It seems like you can get an Alienware in it with pretty much anything in it.

My advice: none.

A laptop is meant to be portable; everything is designed to be more compact at the cost of power and performance. A gaming laptop will be a burden to lug around due to its size (at least if you want something decent) and will cost a lot more than its desktop equivalent. And you will blaze through battery power if you game without an outlet nearby.

I can guarantee that you'll get a much better desktop PC for what your laptop will cost, and installing upgrades down the road will be so much easier. You can even upgrade to a 27" glasses-less 3D desktop monitor, but when's the last time you saw people upgrading the size of their laptop screens? The choice for gaming should be obvious. I highly doubt you'll be away from home often enough to need a mobile gaming center, anyway. ;)

#1199 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:09 AM

My advice: none.

A laptop is meant to be portable; everything is designed to be more compact at the cost of power and performance. A gaming laptop will be a burden to lug around due to its size (at least if you want something decent) and will cost a lot more than its desktop equivalent. And you will blaze through battery power if you game without an outlet nearby.

I can guarantee that you'll get a much better desktop PC for what your laptop will cost, and installing upgrades down the road will be so much easier. You can even upgrade to a 27" desktop monitor when glasses-less 3D becomes affordable, but when's the last time you saw people upgrading the size of their laptop screens? And finally, I highly doubt you'll be away from home often enough to need a mobile gaming center. ;)

I understand, but I'm not planning on staying in a single location. Not only am I really set on having the ability to move my computer around through out the day, I will probably be moving around in the near future. I may end up flying to another state to stay with some family friends for an untold amount of time, etc. Moving around with a desktop PC just isn't going to work for me.

I don't mind a laptop being "big", needing too much power, etc. I just really need a mobile all-in-one machine, even if it's clunky-mobile. That's a dealbreaker for me, even though I know how much smarter it would be to build a desktop PC.

bZ2g3eF.png

#1200 mewantgames

mewantgames

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:30 AM

Anybody want a 75% off portal 2 coupon?