Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#12421 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

Which is of course a play on Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. That may be the first example of the theme. He's not seen as a god, but as a magician.

Interesting. Also, maybe it doesn't need to be said but as I never watched MacGuyver as a kid, that acting is awful! Hoo, boy! I wonder if Richard grew his Sam Elliot stache in the off season and they wrote the episode around it.

Edit: Ha, new page! Daily deal is the Fallout collection. Steam sale starts on the 20th.

#12422 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

Nothing against Eastx, but is there a reason we defer to him to start a new thread? I mean the OP looks nice and all, but IMO it'd be better if someone who stops by here more regularly would start the new thread so the title could be updated on a more regular basis with some of the better deals as they pop up so more people could take advantage of the deals.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#12423 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

Nothing against Eastx, but is there a reason we defer to him to start a new thread? I mean the OP looks nice and all, but IMO it'd be better if someone who stops by here more regularly would start the new thread so the title could be updated on a more regular basis with some of the better deals as they pop up so more people could take advantage of the deals.

I nominate Louiedog! He drops in with almost every daily deal, seems organized, good CAG.

#12424 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

I vote for whoever suggested it.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#12425 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

I nominate Louiedog! He drops in with almost every daily deal, seems organized, good CAG.

I vote for whoever suggested it.

My vote would go to Louiedog too or Seamoss. Those guys are pretty good at updating OPs and titles. But I'm hesitant to put anyone's name out since I don't want anyone to feel obligated to it. Personally, I usually can't be bothered with updating the OP so I know I wouldn't be a good nominee.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#12426 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

And I keep running into him on Giant Bomb, as well as seeing him occasionally on my Twitter feed.

He's my favorite internet acquaintance that I know nothing about.

I second your nomination.

#12427 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

Spoiler

#12428 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

I believe we defer to EastX out of general CAGly respect; He had requested the position of "Steam thread host" in the past. However, he's also a family man, so he can't contribute like a diligent CAG. (I have no idea why he wouldn't want to join in with all the referential madness that has been going on for the last few pages.) Nevertheless, EastX has contributed in many ways to the game-playing community. (For example, his Walkthrough/FAQ for Bionic Commando: Rearmed got him a nice signed image by the GRiN staff.) Plus, I believe he has kept an eye on the thread, in one form or another.

This post makes me sound like his spokesperson, so I recommend PMing the man to see where he stands on the issue.

#12429 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

And I keep running into him on Giant Bomb, as well as seeing him occasionally on my Twitter feed.

He's my favorite internet acquaintance that I know nothing about.

I second your nomination.

Running the op I think is second to changing the thread title. It gets more info across with less effort. Especially things like Free Weekend games can get good attention and build the community.

Oh, are you GB subscribers? If so, is it worth it? I usually lurk neogaf and youtube the quick looks.

#12430 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

Louiedog does a fine job with the threads that he maintains, but I don't wanna volunteer the guy for any jobs.

Having spent a good six weeks over the late spring/early summer being the only one who updated the OP of these steam threads, I know that it can start to be a real hassle after a while. Nobody knew I was doing it (unless they checked the update history) and they certainly weren't expecting it of me, so I was able to drop it without anybody really realizing that I wasn't doing it anymore. I certainly wouldn't have wanted the extra pressure of having people come in here and complain that the OP hadn't been updated yet.

If Louie says that he wants it, then I'll back him.

57j.gif

#12431 pantsattack

pantsattack

Grant Thrift Auto

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

I don't want to force it on him or anyone, he just came to mind because he brings the deals as well as conversation. I can't do it because I keep fake threatening to give up the deal hunt.

#12432 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

If you have any interest in the Fallout classics, get them before the end of 2013. At the end of that year Interplay loses the right to sell them, and who knows if Bethesda will want to at that point?

#12433 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Running the op I think is second to changing the thread title. It gets more info across with less effort. Especially things like Free Weekend games can get good attention and build the community.

Oh, are you GB subscribers? If so, is it worth it? I usually lurk neogaf and youtube the quick looks.

I think the premium content is often pretty great, particularly when you get Vinny behind a game that's before the current generation. Load My Last Save and Random PC Game are almost always really entertaining. At this point, there's so much premium content available that they've already done, I would recommend paying five bucks to get a month as a subscriber, watch their better past premium videos and decide if the rate that they produce new premium content combined with the other various premium perks is worth it to you to pay for more.

The other big thing, for me at least, is that you can download all of their videos as a subscriber. My current living situation has me with a less than ideal internet connection, so I like to be able to download the HD versions of the videos and watch them later, as my connection can't stream them at that quality.

#12434 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

I believe we defer to EastX out of general CAGly respect; He had requested the position of "Steam thread host" in the past. However, he's also a family man, so he can't contribute like a diligent CAG. (I have no idea why he wouldn't want to join in with all the referential madness that has been going on for the last few pages.) Nevertheless, EastX has contributed in many ways to the game-playing community. (For example, his Walkthrough/FAQ for Bionic Commando: Rearmed got him a nice signed image by the GRiN staff.) Plus, I believe he has kept an eye on the thread, in one form or another.

This post makes me sound like his spokesperson, so I recommend PMing the man to see where he stands on the issue.

Well, like I said, nothing against Eastx, but he isn't around to update the title and general CAGly respect is great and all, but the ultimate goal of any Deals thread is to get deals info out there. The thread title IMO is the best way to do so and I feel that our motivation to not update the OP as often as we should is in part due to the fact that no title = no interest = no use.

If the title is updated consistently for big deals, there is more motivation to keep the OP updated well.

QFT

Louiedog does a fine job with the threads that he maintains, but I don't wanna volunteer the guy for any jobs.

Having spent a good six weeks over the late spring/early summer being the only one who updated the OP of these steam threads, I know that it can start to be a real hassle after a while. Nobody knew I was doing it (unless they checked the update history) and they certainly weren't expecting it of me, so I was able to drop it without anybody really realizing that I wasn't doing it anymore. I certainly wouldn't have wanted the extra pressure of having people come in here and complain that the OP hadn't been updated yet.

If Louie says that he wants it, then I'll back him.

Definitely no pressure. But I will say anyone who is willing to step up I'd be more than willing to volunteer at least one day a week where I would update the OP with new dailys or midweeks, etc.

#12435 hal

hal

Game Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

Party of Sin is now available for 10% off $14.99 $13.49

Looks like an interesting take on puzzle/platforming. But unbelievably there's only local co-op. Might go on the wishlist until it gets cheap...

76561197971332172.png

#12436 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

The ultimate goal of any Deals thread is to get deals info out there.

With this in mind, I'd like to say nice job on the last six pages of this thread. good work team.

#12437 motoki

motoki

A New Game Everyday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

My vote would go to Louiedog too or Seamoss. Those guys are pretty good at updating OPs and titles. But I'm hesitant to put anyone's name out since I don't want anyone to feel obligated to it. Personally, I usually can't be bothered with updating the OP so I know I wouldn't be a good nominee.

I nominate whoever would update the OP the least so as to piss off angry nerdrage I-demand-the-OP-be-updated-but-refuse-to-get-off-my-ass-to-do-it guy even more.

#12438 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

I nominate whoever would update the OP the least so as to piss off angry nerdrage I-demand-the-OP-be-updated-but-refuse-to-get-off-my-ass-to-do-it guy even more.

I'm really hoping he shows back up in the next couple days so that we can table the issue until next summer.

#12439 lupe guillotine

lupe guillotine

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

I know one person that you might be talking about. The funny thing is seeing that person name in another thread and then still complaining with "subtle" hints that the Steam, xbox, and psn thread are crap. :)

Edit: Oh yeah, you people are going crazy again from reading the last couple of pages. THIS IS the calm before the storm.

#12440 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

The Serious Sam Franchise deal is live now at Amazon for the next 2.5 hours or so: $10 for every Serious Sam game -- http://www.amazon.co...heapassgam08-20

#12441 gomikeoh

gomikeoh

I like turtles.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

Posted this in the steam trade thread but also posting here because not everyone peruses that part of the forums.

Trading ALL for my one want.

[h] Renegade ops (steam tradeable),
the rest of these are steam codes
thq humble bundle (bought an extra by mistake, includes the bonus games but no saints row),
crazy taxi
sega bass fishing
space channel 5 pt 2
sonic adventure dx
serious sam 1
serious sam 2
serious sam double d
serious sam the random encounter.

[w]
crysis maximum edition for 7.50 on steam right now.
PC master race.

#12442 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

So you posted in the right thread, know this isn't the right thread, and posted here anyway? Buncha savages in this town.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#12443 lupe guillotine

lupe guillotine

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

Posted this in the steam trade thread but also posting here because not everyone peruses that part of the forums.

thq humble bundle (bought an extra by mistake, includes the bonus games but no saints row),
crazy taxi
sega bass fishing
space channel 5 pt 2
sonic adventure dx
serious sam 1
serious sam 2
serious sam double d

[w]

I'll give you a penny for all that stuff.

#12444 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

$10 for the SS franchise isn't all that great a deal. You don't need the whole franchise. It'd be like buying every Dynasty Warriors game in one big bundle. You can get the best and only one you need for $2.50 regularly

#12445 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

The Serious Sam Franchise deal is live now at Amazon for the next 2.5 hours or so: $10 for every Serious Sam game -- http://www.amazon.co...heapassgam08-20

Thanks. I feel like I'll buy it out of peer pressure.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#12446 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

$10 for the SS franchise isn't all that great a deal. You don't need the whole franchise. It'd be like buying every Dynasty Warriors game in one big bundle. You can get the best and only one you need for $2.50 regularly

I sort of agree although I got the pack and sold off the older stuff so I could get SS3 for probably a better deal than we'll see it at solo for a while (knock wood). Some people prefer FE to TSE and others vice versa. Really one of those is enough to get the feel of the franchise. I had fun with SS2 and it's design is a bit different and the style a bit wackier but it probably isn't as good as the originals. Random Encounter and Double D are just licensed crap, not really worth playing.

#12447 asheskitty

asheskitty

Level 3 SJW Social_Justice_Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

crazy taxi
sega bass fishing
space channel 5 pt 2
sonic adventure dx
serious sam 1
serious sam 2
serious sam double d

[w]

So you posted in the right thread, know this isn't the right thread, and posted here anyway? Buncha savages in this town.

Posted Image

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#12448 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

I sort of agree although I got the pack and sold off the older stuff so I could get SS3 for probably a better deal than we'll see it at solo for a while (knock wood). Some people prefer FE to TSE and others vice versa. Really one of those is enough to get the feel of the franchise. I had fun with SS2 and it's design is a bit different and the style a bit wackier but it probably isn't as good as the originals. Random Encounter and Double D are just licensed crap, not really worth playing.

Random Encounter is a really cool idea with a neat style, but the difficulty curve is all over the place, to the point that even though it's only around an hour long I didn't feel like finishing it.

#12449 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

If you wanted SS 3 and DLC then yes this is nice. SS3 has only ever been $7.50 if memory serves. That strikes me as a lapse in judgment though. The last thing I want after a SS game is more SS. Hell, wish I had had LESS SS3

#12450 xRidley

xRidley

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

Still nothing from Steam Support. I get the feeling they don't work weekends! And since I only inquired why it was suspended, I will still have to figure out whatever to resolve it once I get a response back, another week of waiting for responses. Then come the holidays and steam winter sale too... I have a feeling I won't be getting this resolved until mid-january if I am lucky.

Not really acceptable for a multi-billion dollar retailer but what choice do I have if I want to play PC games these days?

After all this I fail to see what is so bad about Origin. The client? Just sits there it seems. Lacks cool features but very basic. Support? Actually can email, call, or live chat and get a response within minutes. "EA is so greedy!!"? And Valve isn't? You are fooling yourself if you think Valve has huge sales out of the kindness of Gabe's Heart.