Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal thread V5. The big sale is over. New thread coming soon.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12912 replies to this topic

#2911 DPsycho

DPsycho

Descendant of Erdrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:06 PM

I put a dollar toward BIAB. At the very least, that's Space Giraffe on Steam and two other games on Desura.

#2912 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:08 PM

Bundle in a Box is now live, any of the games worth it?

http://bundle-in-a-box.com/

I went in for .99 cents for space giraffe and dark scavenger

#2913 Rsmobile

Rsmobile

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

DX IW seemed nice enough, was fairly quick to drop you in an open hub with choices of missions, had the old DX standby of lots of ways into each building, but the interface was so horrible and PC port so weak I couldn't be bothered with it.

Also the plot went nowhere in the opening. The first hub level seemed out of place. Why was I doing hub level nonsense after getting attacked and scampered like that? Dulled the narrative

I don't see what's wrong with universal ammo.

#2914 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

DX IW seemed nice enough, was fairly quick to drop you in an open hub with choices of missions, had the old DX standby of lots of ways into each building, but the interface was so horrible and PC port so weak I couldn't be bothered with it.

Also the plot went nowhere in the opening. The first hub level seemed out of place. Why was I doing hub level nonsense after getting attacked and scampered like that? Dulled the narrative

Universal ammo works in some games, but definitely shouldn't be in some. Basically, with universal ammo, you take the best weapon and use it the whole game. Mass Effect 3 did this and I thought it was a poor choice. I basically used the Black Widow all game because there was no threat of running out of ammo. Games that use different ammo for different weapons can at least increase the tension by making every bullet count and force a decision on using the right weapon for the right situation.

#2915 Y2Bogus

Y2Bogus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

It is no where near as horrible as Fallout 3, that was a true franchise killing game.

Oh no you d' unt
Posted Image

#2916 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

For me it was one of those issues where,"Ack all my sniper ammo is gone, let me just switch to my pistol and...oh" So always ended just running around tazer'ing people as iirc the sniper rifle took a ton of ammo per shot. So would quickly run out.

Oh no you d' unt

Edited my post for clarity, Though New Vegas was far better(Mostly as the original creators got to actually expand the story that was supposed to be the real Fallout 3) But that's only one hamsters opinion 8-)
Posted Image

#2917 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

According to Twitter GMG is in the process of sending out Borderlands 2 keys now. Check your account/email if you preordered from them. Still nothing from my GamersGate order.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#2918 imac2much

imac2much

The Angry Baker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

SR3 deliberately tries to be self-aware, crass, reference other things in pop culture, poke fun and critique things in its own genre (GTA-style game), try to be ridiculous, and the laundry list could just go on and on.

SR3's self-awareness surprised me greatly. I originally shook my head at the game due to its horrible marketing (imo), which made the game look like it was aimed at teenage boys who giggle at the word "dildo", but the game itself rarely went into such sophomoric territory. Even the first hour blew me away with the firefight in the sky and the sing-a-long with Pierce. Although I enjoyed GTA4 for what it was, I definitely did not feel invested in the story or characters. I think a lot of modern games have a problem of confusing themselves with film directors, and they take their stories way too seriously without being self-aware of how ridiculous the game's story actually appears. I can name some examples but I don't want to go off on too much of a tangent right now :)

I am looking forward to SD. Sure, like most action games, I'm sure it's over-the-top in its action and violence - but I'd say it's probably a much different kind of over-the-top than what SR3 probably has given us.

I enjoyed SD's gameplay and story for similar reasons, even though it never showed too much of a self-awareness of its ridiculous behavior. Maybe because I grew up with some HK crime movies, it was easier for me to swallow some disbelief and treat it like one of those old movies... and honestly, I feel they nailed it pretty well. I can't say I like all the characters, but that's how I felt with Infernal Affairs too.
Posted Image

#2919 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

According to Twitter GMG is in the process of sending out Borderlands 2 keys now. Check your account/email if you preordered from them. Still nothing from my GamersGate order.

Just got mine. When I activated it on Steam, it blew up and crapped the bed. Stopped responding and the works... I finally (after letting it "activate" for about 20 minutes) restarted and my Steam list now includes Borderlands 2 pre-order. Hope it's really there!!

#2920 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:55 PM

Ooo hopefully T-Money gets the Amazon 4 pack Keys tonight too.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#2921 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

Also I noticed Steam updated Oddword: Strangers Wrath to Oddworld: Strangers Wrath HD. Those of us that already had it got the bump, which was nice of them. :)

#2922 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

Black Mesa came out earlier and as expected their download links immediately died. There is a torrent which isn't coping well either. Supposedly adding more trackers should help but so far none of them are working for me. I was going to wait and post until I was able to actually start downloading, but maybe others will have better luck. It may be best to wait for Steam to post it properly.

If you want to try, head to this reddit post.

edit: ~15 minutes after adding those trackers the download began

edit 2: direct download at shacknews http://www.shacknews...ndows-free-game

Edited by louiedog, 14 September 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#2923 I OU a Beatn

I OU a Beatn

GO GATORS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

I'm personally waiting for the Steam version. Nonetheless, can't wait to play it.

630736.png

#2924 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:13 PM

I am waiting for FTL to come out already today. Hurry steam!

#2925 Dragonsbane

Dragonsbane

Dr. StrangeCAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

ditto!
Dr. Strange CAG- Or how I learned to stop worrying and love cheap stuff.

Posted Image
Christianity: The belief that a Jewish cosmic zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat fruit from a magical tree.

#2926 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

Thirded. Is that a word?

It's in new releases but still can't be bought. Boo.

Edited by Preedatore, 14 September 2012 - 05:06 PM.

#2927 jshackles

jshackles

Enhanced Steam Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

Looks like the daily deal is Alice: Madness Returns for $4.99

#2928 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

Tony just confirmed that keys are being sent out now through Amazon for Borderlands 2. Preload is also live or so Tony says. I can't confirm this since I am at work, but I am so fucking excited right now.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#2929 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

Why won't steam let me buy FTL. Why is it taunting me. DX

#2930 BNoyes

BNoyes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:10 PM

Tempted to pick up Alice today for $5. I played the 1 hour game trial on the PS3 and thought it had some potential. My concern was that it seemed like it could get fairly repetitive. Anyone have any particularly strong feelings about the game, one way or the other?

#2931 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

Why won't steam let me buy FTL. Why is it taunting me. DX

I can't even play until tonight and it's killing me.

#2932 louiedog

louiedog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

FTL is now available to purchase and 10% off ($8.99) until September 21st.

#2933 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

Bought and downloading. Under 350 mb so it shouldn't take long. :D

#2934 bantheradio

bantheradio

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

Tony just confirmed that keys are being sent out now through Amazon for Borderlands 2. Preload is also live or so Tony says. I can't confirm this since I am at work, but I am so fucking excited right now.

I'm wondering when GreenManGaming will be sending out their keys. I check every day expecting to see my key waiting in my account to no avail.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2935 I OU a Beatn

I OU a Beatn

GO GATORS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

I'm wondering when GreenManGaming will be sending out their keys. I check every day expecting to see my key waiting in my account to no avail.

According to some people in the GMG thread, they've already received their keys. I just hope I have mine before the end of the weekend.

630736.png

#2936 Preedatore

Preedatore

Hamburger Thread

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

According to some people in the GMG thread, they've already received their keys. I just hope I have mine before the end of the weekend.

Probably being sent out by order date. Bought mine last week and nothing yet for me.

#2937 louiedog

louiedog

• CAGiversary!

Tryst is now on Steam. No general discount, but it's 20% off for all APOX owners.

#2938 Sophita

Sophita

CCO Coconut Company

• CAGiversary!

Tempted to pick up Alice today for $5. I played the 1 hour game trial on the PS3 and thought it had some potential. My concern was that it seemed like it could get fairly repetitive. Anyone have any particularly strong feelings about the game, one way or the other?

I love the game, It has some of the best art direction and just overall personality I have seen from any game this year. However, It is also one of those games that feel like it was drawn out just for the sake of drawing out. Like you said it is very repetitive though each chapter brings in new mechanics and mini games it quickly wears thin.

Each new chapter would start out with, "Oh wow that's a really cool unique mini-game, Hey it's a samurai wasp. :D" and after 2 hours on the same chapter it would quickly become, "This mini game again..seriously :cry: oh great three keys to collect and a horde of wasps blocking each one :wall: "

For 4.99 game is more than worth it just be aware that I found myself having to push myself to finish the middle section of each chapter. As they start and end strong but the middle of each part is just needless busywork. Though because of that it is a 20 hour game :-#
Posted Image

#2939 DarenDF

DarenDF

Don't Do this

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

Played 15 minutes of FTL before class and so far its a blast. Can't wait til I get back to play some more. :D

#2940 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

Any opinions on the bonus games for Bundle in a Box? Is it worth shelling out the extra dough?
698770.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.