Photo
- - - - -

Band Hero: Band Kit (PS3/360) $34.99 plus Free Shipping @ Newegg School-Ready Sale

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#91 dirtyvu

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

Nope, the drums and mic are wired, the guitar is wireless.

huh??? where are you getting your info??? of course the Guitar Hero/Band Hero drums are wireless.

the only wired is the mic.

#92 dirtyvu

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

To someone who doesn't own any of the Rock Band peripherals and have wanted them for some time but haven't been able to find a version without people price gouging, how is this? If I didn't even care for the game itself and just wanted it for the kit, is this a decent deal? I know I see RB 1-3 software on sale all the time. Now the instruments are harder to come by.

it's much easier to use the RB drums because it's only 4 pads. so when you're playing RB, you have the 4 pads corresponding to the 4 lanes. If you use the RB drums in GH/BH, GH/BH changes the lanes of the song so there are only 4 lanes. so that means as a RB drummer, you don't have to change in any way when you go back and forth between RB and GH/BH.

However, with the GH/BH drums, there are 5. So when you play GH/BH, you have 5 lanes to play. But if you use the GH/BH drums in RB, you still have RB's 4 lanes. So it doesn't match up with the 5 pads (3 drums, 2 cymbals) so a GH/BH drummer has to adapt to the RB game.

#93 RiPPn

RiPPn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

Got mine today, mine came with the inferior world tour drum kit, time to contact Newegg.

723268.png

#94 Scenttii

Scenttii

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

it's much easier to use the RB drums because it's only 4 pads. so when you're playing RB, you have the 4 pads corresponding to the 4 lanes. If you use the RB drums in GH/BH, GH/BH changes the lanes of the song so there are only 4 lanes. so that means as a RB drummer, you don't have to change in any way when you go back and forth between RB and GH/BH.

However, with the GH/BH drums, there are 5. So when you play GH/BH, you have 5 lanes to play. But if you use the GH/BH drums in RB, you still have RB's 4 lanes. So it doesn't match up with the 5 pads (3 drums, 2 cymbals) so a GH/BH drummer has to adapt to the RB game.

Thank you for the heads up. How difficult is it to come across the original rock band instruments? From what I've heard, and correct me if I'm wrong, the set from Rock Band 2 are the best, right?

I've been looking on and off since last year for a decent bundle but whenever I find someone selling the instruments, they're always for 100+ just for the plastic.

#95 hufferstl

hufferstl

Get your symbols kid

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

I can't find a wireless drum set for anything that isn't out of my price range.

I wish I would have gotten the Walmart Beatles deal a year or two ago...

The old bridge used to be called the new bridge.

card.png

#96 dirtyvu

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:20 PM

RB drums are not very good. *runs to cover from RB fanboys* In terms of quality and playability, the GH/BH ones always felt more responsive and it was cool to have 5 pads to hit. But if most of your gaming is in RB, then a major part of the GH drums isn't used.

Now, if you're talking 3rd party RB drums, then I can show support for those kits like the Logitech ones.

I just wish Harmonix extended an olive branch like Activision did. Activision adapted GH/BH gameplay to accommodate RB drums. The favor should've been returned.

I'm done shopping for music peripherals so I can't help much there. I will say that this kit will do you well in RB. The BH guitar is the same as the GH5 guitar which was pretty much the best standard guitar (better quality and more responsive than the prone-to-break GH:WT guitar). GH guitars are more clicky which if you grew up on GH1,2,3, will feel right at home. The RB guitars look really cool (especially the 3rd party ones) but the feeling is kind of dull. And GH5/BH guitars have the huge star power button to make it really easy to trigger it during heavy jam sessions.

I would definitely not pay a surcharge to own a "Rock Band" peripheral if I could get a complete kit for $35 that includes a game.

#97 krashhole

krashhole

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

Got mine today, mine came with the inferior world tour drum kit, time to contact Newegg.

What's different between the 2?

#98 RiPPn

RiPPn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

What's different between the 2?

http://www.ign.com/a...um-set-hands-on

Edit: Funny I just linked to that page which says "In the meantime, the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 Band Hero Super Bundles will include the Guitar Hero World Tour drumset" which must mean these are old kits. Ugh wish I had known this beforehand.

Edit: still going to contact them as even their product page for the game has the redesigned drums pictured.

723268.png

#99 krashhole

krashhole

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:43 PM

Thanks. Let us know what they say.

#100 RiPPn

RiPPn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

Thanks. Let us know what they say.

Trying to get a hold of them on chat is impossible. But after further research, it looks like the band hero kits never included the redesigned band hero drum kit in the US. You need to buy the Warriors of Rock bundle to get the new drums. False advertising since almost every picture at every retailer shows the new drum kit. Also if you sift through the Band Hero reviews on Amazon you can see plenty of others complaining about this too. Tried doing an RMA but newegg expects you to foot the bill for shipping which for this kit is 20$? Might just keep it for the guitar and wait for a cheap Warriors of Rock bundle to get the good drum kit, but defo makes this a so-so deal at best, at least for myself.

Edit: here is a good video on the differences between the old (world tour drum kit) and the new (band hero/warriors of rock drum kit)

723268.png

#101 dirtyvu

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:42 AM

man, I know you guys want the latest thing possible. but really. you're turning down a complete kit that only costs $35 because it's "not the latest"?

it's not like the old drums are terrible. I've had my drum kit forever (since 2009) and they're still great to play with. It's like a 2013 Lexus doesn't make the 2012 Lexus a dud.

I will say there is a possible issue that some people might have with the old drum set. There was some inconsistency in manufacturing for the drums. So some drum sets were not sensitive enough. Fine if you're playing medium or easy but at higher levels, you need more precision. So Activision provided a tuning kit, free of charge, by requesting one. With this kit, you can hook your drums to the PC and adjust the sensitivity to make it higher if it was a problem. Of course, it's been so long now and Guitar Hero is defunct so you probably can't get the kit any more. Luckily, my drums have been responsive so I don't use my kit.

The only reason this might be an issue is since Guitar Hero is dead, I'm not sure you can request the kit anymore. Whereas with the new drums, it's already included. From what I read, the newer drums have the kit included so that you can tune it in case it wasn't sensitive.

#102 Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear

For the Horde!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:54 AM

Well shoot. Both of my kits had the old drum set. That's a disappointment.

#103 kulaguy

kulaguy

3rd St. Saints!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:53 AM

Sigh. Mine had a drum set that didn't register any hits. I called Activision support and the guy said he'll mail me a pre-paid mailing label so that I can mail back the old drums and get a new set. So, I gotta wait 2-3 weeks to rock out on drums.

#104 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

In for a set...though I'm worried now that others are saying they have the old kits.

Granted, the warranty exchange sounds pretty good on these...I just hate to have to go through that on a new product.

#105 waldo21212

waldo21212

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

huh??? where are you getting your info??? of course the Guitar Hero/Band Hero drums are wireless.

the only wired is the mic.

Yeah sorry, I misunderstood what I had read.

Mine is the old style drum kit too, but seemed to work ok when I tested it, granted I had it on easy when I tested it. I didn't notice the wire rot others had talked about.

#106 barrit

barrit

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

Hm..well, since most people don't want the old drum kit this seems to come with, I hope this drops in price even further. I only want a guitar, but like many others, I can't find one for less than this whole set. I really don't want all the other peripherals either.. I think I'd just get rid of them.

#107 Kerplunkuga

Kerplunkuga

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:10 PM

I don't know if its been mentioned yet, but Best Buy is offering this Kit now for $49.99 - looks like Ship to Store is available for most locations.

http://www.bestbuy.c...es&nrp=15&iht=n

Also says the $10 code would be available as well (if it gets there in time I suppose.)

Posted Image

#108 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Intensely attracted to severe personality problems.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

Looking at that video, these drums should be just fine for me, a Rock Band/Guitar Hero novice.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog!

#109 huntt26

huntt26

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

Awesome! I needed new drums. Even better - I placed the order Wednesday morning and the drums have already arrived! I didn't pay extra for shipping or anything. They shipped from Minnesota and I'm in Iowa, so it shipped in no time at all! Very impressed. After work I'll verify all of the instruments are functional.

#110 lydon

lydon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

Got mine old drums, but luckily there is no rot (yet, I'll test it more). I have the new ones too from Toys R Us from last year and the old ones I got today seem to be more responsive. Unfortunately my set is totally missing a microphone.

JoeGazi.png

#111 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

If you ask for a replacement set, does Activision send you the newer ones from GH:WoW?

Check Out My Podcast

Rival Bits

Video Games, Movies, and TV

https://itunes.apple...d884775591?mt=2

181104.pngblade3d.png

#112 xJoeGrizzly

xJoeGrizzly

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

In for 5. Got a bunch of rock band buddies who have all ran a train on my drums guitars ETC. Good find OP :)
Living that #mintlife
www.facebook.com/mintsuburbanite

#113 dirtyvu

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

I doubt there were many production runs of the newer drum set for Warriors of Rock. Warriors of Rock sold very poorly and was not on the shelf very long before reaching clearance status.

And if you noticed stock inventories for WoR, there were very few full band kits available. Most, if not all stores, just stocked the guitar/game bundle and couldn't even sell those. Everyone saw the end coming with the lackluster sales of GH5/BH and RB3 and stocked appropriately for WoR.

#114 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:38 PM

Old style drums in my set...

I can hear the disc rattling around inside the sealed case. Damn. :/

#115 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:46 PM

Old ones in mine too.

Check Out My Podcast

Rival Bits

Video Games, Movies, and TV

https://itunes.apple...d884775591?mt=2

181104.pngblade3d.png

#116 Nightmarecast25

Nightmarecast25

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

I could have told you all that, only Europe's version of Band Hero got new drums, actually, the GHWOR Band Drums are the Euro Band Hero Drums. lol Sorry guys. :( I have those crap drums sitting next to my book shelf from a Band Hero bundle I bought last year, also had to get it replaced. Terrible piece of hardware.

#117 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Cheap asses be like...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

I don't know what the scuttlebutt is about. I got my kit and the drums are fine. Don't know if they're new, old or from the distant future...but they work fine.

Chubbyninja1319.png

What? Oh hell no! Hold up. Huh? Oh okay.

#118 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Intensely attracted to severe personality problems.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

I'm sorry, maybe I missed this earlier in the thread, but what's so bad about the drumset (I haven't opened mine yet to try them out)

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog!

#119 krashhole

krashhole

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:40 PM

From what I gather, the newer drums have a different setup, and supposedly are better? Not sure why so many people that ordered this thought they would get something different. I guess instead of complaining on here, they could always contact Newegg, pay about $20 and send the package back. Everyone that got in on this deal paid $35. The guitar alone is worth that.

#120 dirtyvu

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

I'm sorry, maybe I missed this earlier in the thread, but what's so bad about the drumset (I haven't opened mine yet to try them out)

it's not bad. it's that people heard and want the newer drumset. newer is better, right?

from what I read and understand, the newer drums are better. but that doesn't mean the old drums are bad. the problems I see with the old drums compared to the new ones:

1) the pedal is strapped to bar in the new set which means it doesn't move around. on the old drums, the pedal is free to move around. It has rubber on the bottom but if you play on carpet, that pedal can end up a foot away from its starting position by the time you finish a song. If you play on hardwood or tile, the pedal should stay in place.

2) the old drum set doesn't have a storage place for your drum sticks. It does have a pair of tabs to keep your drum sticks in place but if you move your drums to storage when you're not playing, it's very easy to lose them (I almost did). The new drum set has an internal holder.

3) the old drums had the controls on top and at the back of the drums. which means you have to reach a good distance to control the guide button, d-pad, etc. If you're tall, it's less of a problem. The new drums have the control panel in front of the drums.

4) the last one is a positive or negative depending on your stance. on the old drums, your cymbals are triangular and stiff. but the height of the cymbal can be adjusted according to your height. on the newer drums, your cymbals are rounder but you can adjust them to flop. but you can't adjust the height of them.

I've played on my GH:WT drums for years now and it still works like a charm.