The New Kindle Fires Pre-Order Thread

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#31 Nohbdy

Nohbdy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:22 AM

Will wait for the iPad Mini announcement first, before deciding which one to buy for my kid. The original Fire was very disappointing because of the OS, which I ended up returning. Their APP selection just can't compete with iOS and the browser was just bad.

I would rather make do with a small selection than navigate a shitload of shovelware.

#32 claypool

claypool

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:26 AM

I really do like the specs but knowing my ass, I'm gonna pick up the iPad mini when it comes out. Apple has a lot off apps that I want than the Amazon/Google market.

Nexus 7 specs are a lot better, esp for gaming. What apps on apple are you talking about?

#33 zillionandnine

zillionandnine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:28 AM

Think I'll get a Paperwhite after I finish my student teaching. Like a graduation present to myself :p I've had two generations of Kindles so far, and I really love them.

I was tempted by the Fire when it first came out but I think I would rather get a pure Android tablet like the Nexus than get locked into Amazon's ecosystem (even tho I love Amazon in general)... Or of course, if Apple ever comes out with a mini iPad, that might be another option for me since I already have an iPhone. I'd probably have to consider the Apple Premium price though...

And you know... You can play games on the kindles... Even the e-ink ones! :P simple ones like word games but still...

#34 UNDERSTAR

UNDERSTAR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:39 AM

Nexus 7 specs are a lot better, esp for gaming. What apps on apple are you talking about?

The CAVE shooter games, the upcoming Phoenix Wright games, and just other apps that are only available on iOS.

I'm nobody's fanboy fyi.

:p

#35 RoMee

RoMee

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:48 AM

I would never waste a penny on these kindle fire.
They were design for one purpose, and that purpose is to buy stuff from amazon.

People with little money and are noob to tablets loves them, but there are way better option available.

#36 sykotek

sykotek

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:51 AM

@UNDERSTAR: CAVE SHMUPs are beginning to show up now on Android through Google Play.

#37 whats_the_word

whats_the_word

That Broad!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:51 AM

I knew waiting it out would be worth it..so the basic Kindle Fire has the price reduced & OG price is replaced by HD version? Plus the bigger screen version is nice..

Still not sure about this or Nexus 7..I already know I wouldn't even use a tablet too often but Nexus does have an edge in 7" version..

#38 AgentW

AgentW

Ate a sandwich.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:59 AM

I wonder if that means amazon will make all the apps on the new fire work on ps3,360 ,pc and more

they're prob referring to the Amazon Instant Video app, which is on all of the platforms they mentioned. Now the just need to publish that app on their app store so android users can get it.

#39 krashhole

krashhole

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:01 AM

I would never waste a penny on these kindle fire.
They were design for one purpose, and that purpose is to buy stuff from amazon.

People with little money and are noob to tablets loves them, but there are way better option available.

So basically you just read what others have to say and then post a comment like this without ever owning one? And are you saying that with any other tablet, people don't buy stuff from them? Personally, I think your comment makes no sense. You can buy stuff if you want from Amazon, or you can get on the browser and go to your favorite site and buy whatever. You can play Android based games, watch videos, movies, etc etc etc.

So tell me, what is better about every other tablet?

#40 Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:07 AM

He must work for Apple

#41 RoMee

RoMee

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:09 AM

So basically you just read what others have to say and then post a comment like this without ever owning one? And are you saying that with any other tablet, people don't buy stuff from them? Personally, I think your comment makes no sense. You can buy stuff if you want from Amazon, or you can get on the browser and go to your favorite site and buy whatever. You can play Android based games, watch videos, movies, etc etc etc.

lol, let me educate you a little.

I bough the kindle Fire when it first came out, and it sucked.
-lame memory options
-awkward power button placement
-no volume rockers
-touch screen had bad response
-amazon app store sucked
-no camera
-etc, etc, etc

Also any cheap $100 tablet on the market can go on the internet, buy stuff from Amazon, play Android based games, watch videos, movies, etc etc etc

EDIT:
The only apple product I own is an iPod touch.
I have the transformer pad, galaxy nexus, htc flyer, and samsung galaxy tab.

I have better things to do than argue with idiotic fanboys who are too quick to hate judge. So ya'll have a nice day

Edited by RoMee, 07 September 2012 - 01:23 AM.

#42 Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:16 AM

Im sure our day will be better not having to read anymore dumb posts from you.

#43 tokyostomp

tokyostomp

Official Member

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:27 AM

i bought a kindle fire and loved it initially, then got bored, rooted it and loaded up ics got bored and gave it too the gf, she likes it as her first android device

#44 krashhole

krashhole

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:28 AM

lol, let me educate you a little.

I bough the kindle Fire when it first came out, and it sucked.
-lame memory options
-awkward power button placement
-no volume rockers
-touch screen had bad response
-amazon app store sucked
-no camera
-etc, etc, etc

EDIT:
The only apple product I own is an iPod touch.
I have the transformer pad, galaxy nexus, htc flyer, and samsung galaxy tab.

The memory is really only used if you install the app.
The power button has never bothered us because it's in a case
The volume is adjusted by simply touching the screen
The updates have fixed the issue with response
Don't know what to say here. We have hundreds of apps and don't have a issue with selection
Camera. Personally, I don't have the use of a camera on a tablet. I'd rather use my real camera. Plus I don't want to look like the person trying to take a picture with a 10" tablet lol.

I know everyone has their own preferences, and I don't knock anyone for wanting what they want. Like I said in my previous post. I think the ipads are sweet and would love to have one. I just can't see myself spending the $$ for one.

#45 slppedyoursster

slppedyoursster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:29 AM

Kindle Fire 7", LCD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB $159 - 9/14/12

Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB $199 - 9/14/12

Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB $299 - 11/20/12

Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE Wireless, Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 32 GB $499 - 11/20/12

What do you think, besides that these are "not a deal"?

$500 on a Fire? Bezos has lost touch with reality. Also, what is up w/ a 7 inch screen? Amazon could not even get 9 inches on their top of the line model? Terrible.

Remember when Shipwreck knocked the Fire on a Cagcast? I believe Shipwreck described it as, "...a cheaper and not as good version of an ipad..." Also, something along the lines of, "...the screen just does not respond like an ipad and feels cheap..."

Unless this iteration is a complete overhaul of the original Fire, I am going to pass.

#46 3kingdoms

3kingdoms

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:32 AM

I knew waiting it out would be worth it..so the basic Kindle Fire has the price reduced & OG price is replaced by HD version? Plus the bigger screen version is nice..

Still not sure about this or Nexus 7..I already know I wouldn't even use a tablet too often but Nexus does have an edge in 7" version..

tablets are so convenient once you go tablet you won't go back.
Posted Image

#47 radioactivez0r

radioactivez0r

Up and Atom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:33 AM

I just picked up a Nexus last week, so I'm not really in the market. To be honest, I haven't figured out what the point of a backlit Kindle is when you can get an inexpensive clamp light for it.
Posted Image

#48 krashhole

krashhole

Gaming since 1981

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:34 AM

I have better things to do than argue with idiotic fanboys who are too quick to hate judge. So ya'll have a nice day

LOL Does this mean you are leaving? Maybe you should sign up on SD. You seem to be the type they like over there.

#49 247

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:46 AM

Are we going to have an iPhone 5 preorder thread as well?:)

#50 iduncurr

iduncurr

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:51 AM

Are we going to have an iPhone 5 preorder thread as well?:)

If it helps out the CAG forum...why not right?

You can play games on it so ;)

#51 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:09 AM

Meh. That's really all I can say about these new Kindles. I do agree with crunchewy though, the Paperwhite one looks pretty cool. But it's a little disheartening knowing that Amazon chose to left out the little tidbit when showing these off that EVERY new Kindle will have lock-screen ads.

There's nothing different. The Kindle Paperwhite has a no-special offers option. You can either buy it initially without offers for more, or presumably you can remove them later for a fee (on existing Kindles it's the difference in price). The special offers are only mildly annoying. They show up as small ads in your book list and while asleep, but not while reading. Sometimes you get decent deals out of it, though.

Crunchewy.png

#52 samejgink

samejgink

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:24 AM

Just got my Nexus 7 yesterday, and actually read the news about the new Kindles on it! LOVE it so far... still breaking it in... it has that new tablet smell.

And good on Amazon for trying to break into the hyper competitive 8.9" market!

#53 token2k6

token2k6

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:32 AM

I get these tablets for free from Office Depot thru Rewards for my work. If they stock the 8.9" I'm in, if not, I'll just get the 7" HD. Got the Nexus 7 on launch, its ok, but I don't Hate on the Fire at all. In fact, I noticed that when you install the Amazon App 'app' on other devices it really slows them down. This happened on my phone MT4GS and Toshiba Thrive. As soon as I took them off, they booted in half the time. So, I see the Amazon products as a good supplement to apps you can get for free on a daily basis. Plus I pay for Prime anyway, so its a no brain-er!
Posted Image

My DVD/BD collection that out rivals my game collection: via DVD Profiler / My CAG tradelist.

#54 z3razerviper

z3razerviper

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:17 AM

I could care less about the fire for me i want a paperwhite eink!!! :D Loving my nexus 7

Edited by z3razerviper, 07 September 2012 - 03:28 AM.

#55 AT7Vette

AT7Vette

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:41 AM

Anyone looking to get one of these may want to give this article a read:

http://www.ign.com/a...ll-ad-supported

May not be a deal breaker for some, but still worth noting.

Edited by AT7Vette, 07 September 2012 - 03:55 AM.

#56 wasabi5858

wasabi5858

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:25 AM

I already pre ordered a 32gb 4g.

it is going to join my HTC Flyer and Toshiba Thrive.

Had a Kindle Fire, gave it to my mom. Great device.

$50/year 250mb/month 4G?! awesome. Great compliment to my phone.

Also love gaming on these. Easy and convenient and a great number of innovative/fun games for cheap.

#57 kilik64

kilik64

Carefree, Wherever We May Be

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:21 AM

Umm you get actual Android and not some Amazon bastardized version?

You get the Google Play Market and not the Amazon bastardized app market?

You get a real browser and not Shit, oops I mean Silk.

You dont have to look at ads all the time since no other tablet I know of is ad supported?

What that poster said really is true. The Fire line is built for you to buy stuff from Amazon (hence it doenst have the google play market on it). The only advantage really currently is Amazon Prime Instant Video but even that is not that useful if you have Netflix or Hulu plus.

Lastly props to CheapyD for trying to make a buck :)

rcerboss bet his CAG card and lost, and now wont leave. 

http://www.cheapassg...te-september-9/

kilik123.png

#58 Ryan_gf

Ryan_gf

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:44 AM

Right now I myself am in the market for a 7 inch tablet, but I would see a Nexus 7 being a far surperior device to this. Or perhaps even a Student Edition Galaxy Tab 2.

#59 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:51 AM

How is this a gaming deal? We don't have threads for other tablets or phones or computers here. Policy change?

Cheapy D probably makes money off Amazon links on CAG that are auto-tagged with the CAG referral code or whatever. Chances are people are going to buy this, gaming related or not, so Cheapy D stands to make money if they buy it after clicking his links.

#60 Serious McMopy

Serious McMopy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:34 AM

I purchased the original Kire, and ultimately, while I personally think it's solid as a portable web browser and such, my biggest problem with it being limited to Amazon app store. Granted, I like the daily deals they offer, but selection is just really limited, in comparison to the full Google Play store, and iOS.

Personally, I'm curious to see what the iPad mini has to offer, and from there, I am either going with it or the Nexus 7 as my next tablet purchase.