• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5867 replies to this topic

#4231 Cleaner7

Cleaner7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

Hey

if you can, save up and get Trials Evolution. Trials HD is great but it's extremely, extremely, extremely difficult with a very very very steep learning curve. A lot of people don't even get through 1/3 of the game because it's difficult. Plus, Trials Evolution has taken everything that was good with HD and made it so much better. It's much more fun. There's lots of free content. There's online and local multiplayer. You're no longer stuck in a drab warehouse. And its difficulty curve is much flatter. If you want the sadistic levels, you still have them but you can enjoy a lot more of the game before giving up than in HD.

I think if you start off with HD and hate it, you won't go on to the much better Evolution. It's like people who hate Assassin's Creed 1 and won't go further to AC2 and others.

^THIS! I love the hell out of both games and DLC but if you have to choose one then definitely go with Evolution. It's an awesome sequel that fixes the few complaints from the original and adds some nice features.

I picked up Dust and Deadlight after playing both trials. I was going to wait on Deadlight but with Target points I can spend the extra couple dollars and not feel bad. Plus I think I'll play it soon rather than wait and feel bad if/when it drops to 400 and I haven't played it by then. The Hybrid beta was fun and I almost bit at $5 but I know I won't play it much and prestiging 5 times for an achievement is a turnoff.

Now I'm just waiting on the Borderlands 2 Season Pass and free TWD episode and I'm set. I'll just wait to rent TWD on 360 and PS3 and play through the disc once for each.

#4232 sicsonic

sicsonic

100% Natural Good Time Family Band Solution

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

It was rumored that Microsoft might be getting rid of MS Points by the next-gen system, but then it was later reported that it's not likely to happen, and that they most likely will keep the points system.

As CAGs here have noticed anyway, it's good for us, there's cheaper ways of getting points, there won't be cheaper ways if we have to use cash.

#4233 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

Didn't IGN claim that Microsoft would be doing away with Microsoft points this year? I'm going to hold out for a Dust Steam release since I don't want to buy 800 points when I only need around 500.

IGN wasn't the source of that rumor; some little nobody site was. IGN and many other places picked it up for some reason and ran with it, despite the lack of credibility. I think that's largely because of wishful thinking from the gaming press, who have always opposed the MS Point system (whereas folks in the know love it because of the potential for deals).

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!

#4234 Shaniqwa

Shaniqwa

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

Just scored trials. My friends praise it all the time. I can't wait to play.

#4235 Cornelius

Cornelius

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

I hate to sound like a nag ... but everyone remembers that the "Serious Sam" franchise & "Catan" will expire sometime Tuesday morning (which I think is 12/25). Got it? :lol:

70109.png
I don't always buy :360: points, but when I do, I click this CrazyGameTime affiliate link below
Cornelius's gamercard, so CGT will forward 2% of the proceeds so he can buy more points!

#4236 AvengedBacklog

AvengedBacklog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

I hate to sound like a nag ... but everyone remembers that the "Serious Sam" franchise & "Catan" will expire sometime Tuesday morning (which I think is 12/25). Got it? :lol:

NAG ALERT!!!!

Jk, I'm actually considering Catan...I just bought the physical board game too but the idea of an XBL version really tempts me, especially at only 400 MSP. Hows the online experience per anyone who bought it?

Also, reading the OP (which I think is GREAT btw and doesnt need to be changed) Borderlands 2 DLC is going to be on sale? I thought it was just the season pass?

#4237 E.Nich

E.Nich

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

Though I'm a little disappointed that Trials Evo is 800 and due to that I won't be able to get all episodes from TWD (only 1700 MSP left, and will get Borderlands GoD), I bought Evo+DLC, because, Fuck, Trials HD is amazing, and Evo looks better. Also everyone says it's more forgiving than HD (I can't play neither difficult nor extreme levels, my limit is playing the normal ones).

For TWD I guess the first will be free, the second and third at 50% off, and the rest at 33% off or so.

#4238 sicsonic

sicsonic

100% Natural Good Time Family Band Solution

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

I own and have played both, prior to this sale.

Remember that Evo has (Track Central?) that gives you free content, it seems at first it's just custom tracks from the community, but RedLynx has got some creative stuff on there, which become not just tracks but minigames themselves.

I think that feature COULD almost justify the 400 point difference.

#4239 E.Nich

E.Nich

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

I own and have played both, prior to this sale.

Remember that Evo has (Track Central?) that gives you free content, it seems at first it's just custom tracks from the community, but RedLynx has got some creative stuff on there, which become not just tracks but minigames themselves.

I think that feature COULD almost justify the 400 point difference.

Could you recommend some good tracks from track central, or they are ordered by popularity (I guess and hope so)?

#4240 crazylox2001

crazylox2001

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

anyone know how much borderlands 2 will be on thur..? thanks

#4241 adiras

adiras

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

I bit on Dust, after looking at reviews and gameplay it was that over Deadlight.

And I am a Trials junkie, Trials Evolution is better just for the never ending user created tracks. There are so many talented people into this game, it really is non stop fun.

#4242 ERROR SUCCESS

ERROR SUCCESS

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

Welp, 20 bucks later (sorry, I mean 1600 Microsoft Moon Money), I've got FEZ, Mark of the Ninja and Dust. I am satisfied.

Don't ever pay face value for points. CGT had 2400 for 20 last week. At most you should pay $1/100.

#4243 raiser

raiser

CAG-Zombie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

NAG ALERT!!!!
Jk, I'm actually considering Catan...I just bought the physical board game too but the idea of an XBL version really tempts me, especially at only 400 MSP. Hows the online experience per anyone who bought it?

I have been playing CATAN since it's debut on XBL. Highly recommended for fans.
I have honestly put more time into it than any other game on the 360.

Pros:
- Quick games, usually last under 30 minutes.
- Usually <10 min to fill out a room of 4 (good for a very old XBL game)
- Most people play pretty fair now (early on there were more cheaters)
- Decent messaging system built in, so you don't need to mic up.
- Single player is a decent tutorial for those unfamiliar with Catan.

(minor) Cons:
- The online ranking system is completely broken (always has been)
- I've heard there are bugs that can prevent maxing gamerscore (I got my 200 ok)
- The single player game isn't nearly as fun as it could be with better AI
- There have been zero updates or bug fixes to this game in years (abandonware)
- Does not offer any of the expansions to the base 4-player board game.
- No one really ever mics up, not very social for a board game.
- Rage quitting is the norm, you will often end up with 1 or 2 CPU opponents.
- A few online game ending bugs, but happen rarely.

Tips:
- Join Ranked games, no one plays un-ranked.
- Be patient for joins if you host, there are always people finishing another game.
- Change the Graphics to 3D in the Options, it looks much nicer.
- Learn the quick press button combos to see game statistics while you play.
- Have fun!

I can definitely recommend Catan at 400 for anyone that thinks this game is of interest.
If you are not a fan of strategy or board games you should probably take a pass.

#4244 twztid13

twztid13

Infinite backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

I'm convinced into getting trials Evolution & the DLC. I wish it was a steeper discount like they used to give in these sales, but it seems a great game to keep the rest of my backlog company. If I think rationally, it will probably be free by the time I get around to playing it more than 5 minutes, but I want to reward devs of great games, and many say this is one. I got the DLC cuz it was more of a discount.

I started to get the original, but after the posts here, and friends saying Evolution was worth the extra cash, and I love user made content, I went with that. I could probably buy a freakin' car with all the money I've put into my backlog because of 'sales', lol. If I'd have stuck to buying games as I play them, even at full price, I can't even imagine how much money I'd save. At least I'm helping the devs pay their rent, or buy cars, as they deserve to get my money on most of the games I buy. I know that's not watching the wallet, but it helps my favorite hobby grow & I'll never say I don't have anything to play (like when I was a kid). Now that is how you rationalize ;)

#4245 Ubichu

Ubichu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

I bought Trials HD and the Big Thrills DLC long ago. Everyone who plays it loves it, but we've never finished all of the tracks. I've heard great things about Trials Evolution, so I plan to buy it today in spite of it being (IMHO) 200 points too expensive.

Question: Given that I have Trials HD and Big Thrills DLC and will buy Trials Evolution today, should I also buy the following 2 DLCs?
- Trials Evolution: Origin of Pain
- Trials HD: Big Pack

The prices of the DLC are reasonable, so it's a question of whether there is duplicated content (tracks) between any of these. Unfortunately I don't have time to research every DLC pack the day before Christmas, so hopefully a Trials expert can give me a quick summary if I should buy the DLCs. Thanks.

#4246 thenutman69321

thenutman69321

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

Question: Given that I have Trials HD and Big Thrills DLC and will buy Trials Evolution today, should I also buy the following 2 DLCs?

If you love the main game then yes. The dlcs are just more of the same. If you don't care about more achievements you might skip the Evolution DLC though, track central in Evolution is basically free dlc.

Also to anyone wondering if Evo is worth 800 msp, it definitely is. I have almost 5 days of total play time in that damn game. I've never put that amount of time into even a Skyrim type of game. Although if you're not the type of person who is into competing with friends scores or retrying an extreme track a hundred times over before you finally get that gold medal (or if you're a novice just beating that extreme track), you will probably get bored pretty quick.

#4247 icp_00_111

icp_00_111

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

I would go with The Evo dlc because I know after I got Evo on release I never loaded up hd again, and I used to play it a lot but Evo makes it useless to load it up.

#4248 Emiroo

Emiroo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

Finally a great discount on Trials Evo! It was even more than I anticipated. Picked it up along with the Origin of Pain exansion. I was hopelessly addicted to the first one and this one has already blown it out of the water. Don't hesitate to pull the trigger on this.

Keeping my fingers crossed for an amazing deal on Borderlands 2 on Thursday...
Posted Image

#4249 D0RC

D0RC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

Looks like Dust is back at normal price but the other two are not right now, 9:20 am PST. Grabbed Dust last night, now just waiting for TWD.

#4250 Shifty Effect

Shifty Effect

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

Perhaps this has already been brought up, but what is the difference between Trials HD and Evolution?

#4251 district_9000

district_9000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:35 PM

My gold expired yesterday and still got the Trials HD dlc discount to my surprise.

#4252 Outinthedark

Outinthedark

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

My gold expired yesterday and still got the Trials HD dlc discount to my surprise.

None of the holiday sales require a subscription.

76561198014930049.png

#4253 thenutman69321

thenutman69321

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

Perhaps this has already been brought up, but what is the difference between Trials HD and Evolution?

HD is number 1 Evolution is number 2. Not much of a difference between the two. Evolution has more features. Better track editor, track central which lets you download other peoples tracks, multiplayer, I'm sure there's a few other small differences I can't think of as well. Evolution is probably the better game.

#4254 TeamUnderdog

TeamUnderdog

It's Not a Deal! It's a Steal!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

Bought Bully, Fez, Mark of the Ninja, Deadlight, Dust, and Trials Evolution. I'm done lol.

card.png
453976.png

#4255 Cornelius

Cornelius

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

Looks like Dust is back at normal price but the other two are not right now, 9:20 am PST. Grabbed Dust last night, now just waiting for TWD.

They're dead ... wiping from the OP. :-(

70109.png
I don't always buy :360: points, but when I do, I click this CrazyGameTime affiliate link below
Cornelius's gamercard, so CGT will forward 2% of the proceeds so he can buy more points!

#4256 Strider Turbulence

Strider Turbulence

Son of the Old Gods

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

haha, I spent over $100 and had to delete over 30 GB of stuff from my HDD....again. And there is still some things I want, mostly SeriousSam 3 but I'm sure it'll drop by half again in the next few months.

birdie-intro.gifAlpha 2

#4257 Yankeessuck193

Yankeessuck193

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

Too bad Minecraft isn't going to be on the list. I already own it for PC, but there's no way I'm spending another $20 to have it on xbla...
The chance of getting a Touchpad at my local BB is the chance of Texas legalizing gay marriage with Rick Perry as the governor. :applause:

#4258 Blade

Blade

Butt Blamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

Too bad Minecraft isn't going to be on the list. I already own it for PC, but there's no way I'm spending another $20 to have it on xbla...

Why would you even buy it on a console if you own the PC version? It's supposed to be cross-platform, meaning that it's basically the same exact game with the same exact servers. If it's a matter of controller versus mouse and keyboard, you can easily hook up your gamepad. But I'm pretty sure m/kb work better for Minecraft anyway.
Earn $10 instantly with Groupon!

We as a community feel that it would be best if you didn't trade on here anymore. Despite your 350 positive transactions, I'm deactivating your account on 99Gamers because you offend me. I'm unrelatable, give poor customer service, and am now taking away your invested time and money because I don't like you.

Best,
Brandon, Owner of 99Gamers.com

#4259 HDShadow

HDShadow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

Why would you even buy it on a console if you own the PC version? It's supposed to be cross-platform, meaning that it's basically the same exact game with the same exact servers. If it's a matter of controller versus mouse and keyboard, you can easily hook up your gamepad. But I'm pretty sure m/kb work better for Minecraft anyway.

Probably for Xbox Live friends or split-screen?

#4260 dirtyvu

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

minecraft on the xbox is simply awesome, especially after the latest additions the last few days. mostly because it's so easy to have a bunch of people playing together.

and the interface is arguably better than the PC. no more stupid, lay out your items in just the right way, to make a tool.