The Spooky OTT

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
500 replies to this topic

#421 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

I don't hate all pro-sports. At least on the pro level they're being paid to take part in the game. They've chosen to make that their career.

At the college level we're supposed to buy into this fiction that all the players are "student-atheletes" and they're just doing this on their free time apart from their studies. :roll:

Indeed, the illusion of the student athlete does only go so far. However, they are still not being paid and the majority of them are not deluded into believing they're on a likely road to the pros- so there is some personal glory, pride in alma mater, and love of the game there- but it is certainly far from pure.

I think part of my disinterest is that very fact that in the pros they are being paid to play "a game" which makes it, fundamentally, just another form of entertainment- and my awareness of the billion's of dollars generated by the professional fandom becomes funneled into the hands of the coddled John Rocker, Micheal Vick and Kenny Powers types is just a hideous thought. I'm sure there are plenty of decent guys in pro-sports, but for what they make they all should be. Couple that with strikes and negotiations disputes and watching "billionaires and millionaires" quibble over percentages and then sapping local municipal tax bases for new stadiums in urban areas that could really use the funds elsewhere and . . . well, you see where one might look upon professional sports entertainment with an annoyed if not bitter eye.

Lastly, in the South (especially in SEC country), pro-sports was considered the realm of the uneducated and/or blue-collar populous (with MLB being the lone exception) and that stigma is still there for those at the leading edge of gen X and older. It's a silly notion but one that just became engrained in the culture then- you were Auburn people, a Vols household or "house divided" 'gator and 'dawg family . . .etc.

The irony in this blue-collar vs alumni sports fan model is that going to a pro-event invariably costs more than a college event, by several fold. Sadly, most schools (my alma mater being one of the few exceptions) lose money with college sports, even football.

TL;DR:
Can you tell I am bored out of my mind watching little girls scream and skate.

My Trade list:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=173460
Going dark on the internet for two weeks during move.

#422 darthbudge

darthbudge

The Real DB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:21 AM

I still have a hard time understanding the appeal of college sports. I live in a college town and still don't understand the appeal. I mean I have some exitement about NCSU basketball but it doesn't hold my interest like the mavs cowboys and the rangers do.

See, I am the opposite. I love College sports but I just can't get into pro sports.

I was so happy when Alabama got beat by TAMU this weekend. I'm glad those assholes had their season ruined.

#423 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:14 AM

eh. don't want to go into work tomorrow.

too tired to add more grist of the college vs pro sports mill.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#424 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

I have off for Veteran's Day today. Muhahaha!

Posted Image

#425 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

have to go in today. Them kids are off from school too. Thnnkfully the wife got up with them and let me sleep in till 8:30 at least.

Have to work Thanksgiving as well. Tempted to hit Wal-Mart on my way home. Although, I'll likely just see the packed parking lot, and think "this isn't worth it." and turn around.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#426 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

The best time to shop at Walmart is like anytime after 11PM. It is a ghost town; feels like you own the store when you walk through it.

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#427 lordwow

lordwow

Fmr. VP of the OTT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

Today is a holiday here, but I took the rest of the week off too. Love it, go back to work on Monday and oh look, it's a short week.
Currently Playing: Borderlands 2 (360), Black Ops (360)

Posted Image

#428 h3llbring3r

h3llbring3r

Mecha Cocksmas 2 all

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

They all warned me not to watch the World War Z trailer.
They all said it would piss me off.
They all were right.

My Trade list:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=173460
Going dark on the internet for two weeks during move.

#429 corrosivefrost

corrosivefrost

We're done here.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

Weird, I kept thinking Thanksgiving was the last Thursday in the month; seems my vacation schedule is moving up a week. :lol:

And Wal-Mart can suck after 11pm; sometimes you go in there and they have one cash register line open... and that's when some lady forgets her driver's license and wants to write a check. :wall:

--

Yes, H3llbring3r, that does NOT look good.

#430 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

Weird, I kept thinking Thanksgiving was the last Thursday in the month; seems my vacation schedule is moving up a week. :lol:

Oh yeah don't you have all of December off or something?

Posted Image

#431 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:16 AM

Walmart is a bitch and a half to shop after standard hours here. It's the one long ass normal checkout and the self checkout line. However that self checkout is always occupied by the moron with a full cart that went there because it was a short line but has zero clue how the machine works but has too much pride to admit it. As it takes them over half an hour to complete the task you glare at them and wonder if they give actual checkers a hard time. You know, the checkers that would have had them out the door 25 minutes ago.

#432 corrosivefrost

corrosivefrost

We're done here.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:10 AM

Oh yeah don't you have all of December off or something?

Usually about half of it. Probably would've been more had I not taken random weeks off during the course of the year. 8-)

#433 debbter

debbter

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:14 AM

#434 Number83

Number83

¡oɹq 'ʎɹoʇs ןooɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

Morning, OTT.

550797.png

signature-bar-white.gif

Grammar: The difference between knowing your sh*t and knowing you're sh*t.

#435 munch

munch

la tête de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

:);):cry:8-):roll::drool::-#:cold::bs:\\:D/:-\"=;:-({|=:-s:dunce::spam::rofl::newbie::error::headache: :argue: :censored::-k:-x:razz::joystick::-o#-o=P~:^o:idea:8-[:???::baby::shame:Fuck:shipfree::xbox::gc::ds::pc::ps3::whee::D:lol::applause::3ds::booty::bouncy: :bomb: :bow::wall:O:):-&:-$:robot::fridge::wave::imwithst::beer::twoguns: :grouphug: :oldman::boxing::ziplip:[-(:oops::-P:-?:-(:mrgreen::-|:arrow::?::!::shock::twisted::evil::pray:Fuck :ps2: :360::psp::gba::wii::dvd::hd:

#436 becuzimbrown

becuzimbrown

Very popular in the OTT.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

Hey guys, If I start playing Halo 4 once I have more free time, would you guys like to join me in some multiplayer?

#437 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Holy blast from the past Batman.

Posted Image

#438 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

Brown remember when you wished me a happy birthday in person?

seanr1221.png

#439 becuzimbrown

becuzimbrown

Very popular in the OTT.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

Brown remember when you wished me a happy birthday in person?

That's dedication to the community right there.

#440 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

Agreed on the Wal-Mart. I made the mistake of going in there right before midnight back when I was getting off at 2330. If you try to check out right at midnight you have to wait while their whole system resets.
That along with just one checkout open, and that checker doubles as floor mopper or something.

Looks like 3 of 5 people are possibly sick here. So....I'll be staying home.
(I earn about 10 hours of vacation time per pay period so it all balances out)

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#441 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

Whenever I go to Walmart after standard hours there are usually at least two lanes open and whenever I get to the checkout, there is MAYBE one guy in each line ahead of me.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#442 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

In other news, I was in the political section of the forum and a guy (who was...displeased at my comments) said that "the OTT must not be doing their job" because I'm still in here.

You're all famous!

#443 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

Where?

#444 munch

munch

la tête de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

Who?

#445 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

When? The other day.

#446 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

You didn't post in the political forums the other day.

#447 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

Assuming you mean yesterday.

#448 munch

munch

la tête de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

It's he making shit up?

#449 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

I think so!

#450 Temporaryscars

Temporaryscars

Talks like a Dalek

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:46 AM

Signed up for a gym and now I'm sore as shit. Time to get rid of some of this extra man meat though.