Photo
- - - - -

PSN Weekly Deals - 3/26: Huge Square Enix Game/DLC, THQ, PixelJunk, and Worms Sales!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9825 replies to this topic

#4381 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

Dangit. Two people in succession have nothing but praise for Psychonauts and the Unfinished Swan. I may have to cave and get both along with the other three games I mentioned...

There has been constant praise of The Unfinished Swan since the list was announced on Monday, so people continuing to ask about it should just read back a bit.

#4382 RCS0926

RCS0926

Deal Hunter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

There has been constant praise of The Unfinished Swan since the list was announced on Monday, so people continuing to ask about it should just read back a bit.

I know that. I was just thinking of getting either TUS or Psychonauts. Now you guys have me thinking I need to get both.

#4383 io

io

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

I know that. I was just thinking of getting either TUS or Psychonauts. Now you guys have me thinking I need to get both.

Well, personally I'm passing on Psychonauts because I think I have the Xbox (if not also the PS2) disc somewhere. If it was a PSN release with trophy support I'd get it - but as an emulated PS2 game I'm passing, even at that price. I played the game a little back on the PS2 but never get near the end so I'd probably have given it a shot if it was a PSN game. As it is, I have Nights and Machinarium from this sale and will probably get Warp as well (and LBP Karting if anyone can confirm disc-save compatibility).

#4384 mitch079

mitch079

Microsoft, trollin' like Doink on Crush.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

Or they can download the demo and see if they like it.

ach.png

#4385 zeldaking

zeldaking

I LOVE BOOBS!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

Are the Ratchet and Jak games the PS3 HD versions or the PS2 games?

I can't find this info on the PS Blog.

#4386 Brother Daz

Brother Daz

Scotch and yes?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

Are the Ratchet and Jak games the PS3 HD versions or the PS2 games?

I can't find this info on the PS Blog.

HD versions

#4387 handsomepete

handsomepete

no one suspects a thing until April

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

If it were me I'd say you can pass on psychonauts - I personally don't think it's aged all that well, but it's also something that sees sales more often that the average game. I haven't played TUS yet but I'm certainly curious (other than the reports of motion sickness which isn't all that exciting).

#4388 RCS0926

RCS0926

Deal Hunter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:42 AM

If it were me I'd say you can pass on psychonauts - I personally don't think it's aged all that well, but it's also something that sees sales more often that the average game. I haven't played TUS yet but I'm certainly curious (other than the reports of motion sickness which isn't all that exciting).

I'm beginning to lean that way now. I'm stuck in the clutches of Skyrim right now, and I can see myself taking a break from it to play Nights, Warp and Machinarium. Also, I can see myself taking a couple of hours off to play through a single run-through of the Unfinished Swan. However, I can't really see myself getting into Psychonauts especially when I have the J&D, R&C and Sly collections sitting in my backlog.

#4389 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

Yeah, for crap's sake, people, just buy the damn thing and stop asking about it. $3.75 is a fucking steal (I also paid $14.99 for it).

I thought $15 was a bit too much for the game, hoping for $10, so this seals it.

#4390 Pravado

Pravado

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

I don't get how the unfinished swan is getting such good reviews. I played the demo and it was really boring. Skimmed around some gameplay vids on youtube and it looks like the entire game is just firing blobs to make things appear... really don't get the appeal to that.

#4391 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

I'm halfway through Unfinished swan. It's pretty fantastic. Way better than even I had imagined it'd be. I expected to get bored and quit by now. And Psychonauts is such a weird game. For this price it's worth the risk. If you loved classic PS2 platformers you'll love this one. It's got loads of charm.

#4392 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:03 AM

I don't get how the unfinished swan is getting such good reviews. I played the demo and it was really boring. Skimmed around some gameplay vids on youtube and it looks like the entire game is just firing blobs to make things appear... really don't get the appeal to that.

It's an adventure game. You're thrown into this world and you have to unravel what's going on and explore. If you don't like those type games then unfinished swan isn't for you. (The demo doesn't really do it justice IMO)

#4393 Roll

Roll

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

Is it okay to play TUS before playing Journey? I hear there are some references to Journey in TUS. I plan to play both, but I missed Journey when it went on sale.

#4394 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

The Journey reference is nothing that you wouldn't recognize unless you've never seen anything about Journey before playing The Unfinished Swan. You don't need to play either in a specific order to get it.

#4395 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

Considering the PS3 version is apparently the most inferior of the versions, if you absolutely must pick one, you might as well get the unfinished swan. There is always the slim chance that you will get into PC gaming (the best available version) down the line and can pick it up cheap then, or they might eventually release an HD version.

I think I will take Hot Shots Golf, Jet Set Radio (it's soundtrack is still mostly intact right? Not like how they butchered crazy taxi?), definitely Nights, Unfinished Swan, and maybe Warp. I am waffling on LBP Karting on one hand its a good deal, but on the other I don't know if I'll ever get around to playing it.

Guardian_owl.png

#4396 AoA

AoA

Ace of Aces

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

The one thing I've determined from this sale is the R&C is a more valuable franchise than Jak.

#4397 TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin

Formerly Graff^

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

The one thing I've determined from this sale is the R&C is a more valuable franchise than Jak.

R&C is an ongoing franchise. Naughty Dog has long since moved on to Uncharted.

TheSporkWithin.png
Trade List 3DS Friend Code: 0731-4785-9484

#4398 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Got Jet Grind Radio HD, House of the Dead: Overkill, and Unfinished Swan. Was going to get Psychonaughts, but changed my mine for Unfinished Swan instead. I hope I made a better, blind, choice.

I have Psycho on the original Xbox backlog and just had enough change in my wallet to afford $3.75, as opposed to $2.50, to finish off my wallet. (I don't really like having money just sitting in my digital wallet.)

#4399 GamingGator

GamingGator

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

The R&C games have just held up WAY better than the Jak games have.

Jak 1 is still a great game even if it seems a bit more dated as a platformer. Jak 2 was an incredibly frustrating game due to its lack of checkpoints on missions and some pain in the ass mini games that you had to beat to continue on the story. Jak 3 was much better than 2 but still not as much fun as 1 in my opinion. So the best part about getting Jak 1 for that cheap is that you get the game that is far and away the best from the collection for cheap.

The Ratchet and Clank series seems rather timeless until the recent disaster known as All 4 One. I can not even bring myself to play the latest tower defense game because I assume I will hate it as much as I did All 4 One. Some series should just stick to their usual formula and that is one of them. I would get the collection instead of just buying the first game for this series.

GatorBeerGeek.png

#4400 axlrose4183

axlrose4183

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

I did about 1 level on Unfinished Swan and it was kind of giving me a headache, I guess because everything is all white on the screen. LBP Karting is pretty cool, played a level made by somebody that was green zone from Sonic.

Edited by pimpster4183, 24 January 2013 - 03:10 PM.

axlrose4183.png

#4401 mebegod

mebegod

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

I don't have any tolerance for people trying to use this thread, or the Deals forum in general, for things that belong elsewhere.

and nor should you
thanks for all the work you do here frisky

#4402 Tronny

Tronny

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

I did about 1 level on Unfinished Swan and it was kind of giving me a headache, I guess because everything is all white on the screen. LBP Karting is pretty cool, played a level made by somebody that was green zone from Sonic.

Keep going on Unfinished Swan, the mechanics change and, frankly, get much better.

#4403 whitereflection

whitereflection

Shake well before serving

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Bayonetta will be out on PSN at the end of the month for $19.99. Hopefully it'll be a PS+ offering some time.

#4404 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

Keep going on Unfinished Swan, the mechanics change and, frankly, get much better.

This is how I felt. I actually wasn't interested in the game based on gameplay from those levels. It's short but a really fun ride. (I got 100% in a few hours) That all white stuff is fun at first but gets boring really quickly.

Bayonetta will be out on PSN at the end of the month for $19.99. Hopefully it'll be a PS+ offering some time.

I passed on this game several times... I would love to see it as a PS+ game. Problem is #2 is a Wii-U game... :(

#4405 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Remember 2009? That was cool!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

I passed on this game several times... I would love to see it as a PS+ game. Problem is #2 is a Wii-U game... :(

Bayonetta is my favorite game from this whole generation. I definitely recommend anyone even the least bit interested in it to check it out. I think it still performs better on the 360, but performance on the PS3 is at least playable now.

tylerh1701.png BZljDsc.jpg

Check out my CAG Blog!  NEW POST: My XBLA Backlog

#4406 Slade

Slade

Coordinated Insanity

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

Bayonetta is actually an exceptional action game. I recommend everyone try to play the 360 version for the best experience possible. The PS3 port looks crappy and doesn't run very well even after the "fix" due to a lazy porting job.

I have a hard time recommending a purchase for a digital version for $19.99 though but it should be worth a download if it gets offered as a freebie at some point.

Fighting game enthusiast (BatousaiJ) and Editor at ZTGD

#4407 jr233270

jr233270

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Is anyone else having a problem with hot shots golf? I bought the complete collection and every time I go to start the game my ps3 freezes up. I have over 40 games downloaded on my ps3 and this is the only game that is giving me problems. Ive deleted and redownloaded the game twice now and I stilo cant get it to work.

Any advice on troubleshooting this issue?

#4408 ShadowX

ShadowX

Tiny Little Robots

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

GTA: Vice City will hit the PSN next week as a PS2 Classic (Jan 29 for US and 30 for EU) the price will be $9.99.

#4409 spatenfloot

spatenfloot

Don't read this!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

Is anyone else having a problem with hot shots golf? I bought the complete collection and every time I go to start the game my ps3 freezes up. I have over 40 games downloaded on my ps3 and this is the only game that is giving me problems. Ive deleted and redownloaded the game twice now and I stilo cant get it to work.

Any advice on troubleshooting this issue?

Did you delete all of the game data when you deleted the game?

#4410 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

http://blog.us.plays...cension-owners/

God of War: Ascension owners get first crack at the demo for The Last of Us when it's available.

Edit: Looks like Bayonetta's available next week for $19.99 on PSN.