Photo
- - - - -

PSN Weekly Deals - 3/26: Huge Square Enix Game/DLC, THQ, PixelJunk, and Worms Sales!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9825 replies to this topic

#5971 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

I think the majority of PS+ users rate the service solely on what free games we get, which is incredibly dumb. The free games aren't always appealing to me, but the discounts, automatic updates, cloud saves, and more make up for it.

I think the only time I've been disappointed in their selection of games is when they offer titles I've already bought for platform.

Beyond that, what are you paying for? Cloud saves clearly qualify as a service being provided for you. But paying an annual fee to qualify for discounts? That's a bit questionable as a primary motivating factor. Automatic updates should be a given for everyone given how awfully slow the PS3 updating is. If the betas they offered were truly betas, wouldn't they want as many people as possible to be playing it? I can't blame Sony for simply offering some additional bullet points to sell the service.

I have to say I've been really happy with the service ever since I've signed up simply for the cloud saves and "free" games alone.

#5972 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Am I the only one who really wants to give these games a shot but refuses to due to the prices of the tables?

Tables on pinball arcade are an absolute steal at 2.50 each. That's only 5 games if the table is set to 50 cents at the arcade, and you'd drop that on a table in a heartbeat. having excellent reproductions on your tv and handheld? priceless.

Granted, i'm waiting for a sale on some of the tables i don't know much about, but tables like Medieval Madness and Twilight Zone are easy buys.

#5973 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

One really nice thing about this thread is that everyone is pretty much able to express their opinions rationally and like an adult. I may almost 100% disagree with some of you, but thanks for your input guys, I find it interesting to see what everyone thinks.

Unrelated, I played Critter Crunch for about an hour last night. It's very.....interesting.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#5974 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

One really nice thing about this thread is that everyone is pretty much able to express their opinions rationally and like an adult. I may almost 100% disagree with some of you, but thanks for your input guys, I find it interesting to see what everyone thinks.

Unrelated, I played Critter Crunch for about an hour last night. It's very.....interesting.

Agreed on the level of maturity around here.

Critter Crunch... how many different modes does that have? Is it all just eat bugs and vomit rainbows into other bugs?

#5975 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

I love the game, but I think its pretty shady that they used a Kickstarter to come up with money for the Twilight Zone license, and then turn around and ask double for it when it releases. I will still buy it eventually, but i'll make damn sure to game share it.

huh? i just checked. anyone who met even the first level of kickstarter got a copy for free. and if someone didn't contribute, why should the contributors reduce the amount the non-contributor should pay?

Also, do we know how much they paid for the license? It's quite possible the kickstarter funs only made it possible, but didn't cover the entirety.

Don't get me wrong, i wish all tables were cheaper just because... but that doesn't it make them not worth it.

#5976 lupe guillotine

lupe guillotine

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

huh? i just checked. anyone who met even the first level of kickstarter got a copy for free. and if someone didn't contribute, why should the contributors reduce the amount the non-contributor should pay?

Also, do we know how much they paid for the license? It's quite possible the kickstarter funs only made it possible, but didn't cover the entirety.

Don't get me wrong, i wish all tables were cheaper just because... but that doesn't it make them not worth it.

Just incase, I pledge the lowest in that kickstarter and got the table with the pro upgrade and the twilight ball. I believe the cost of the kickstarter was the actual cost of the licence itself from what little I can remember. The table they had to buy was for themselves and their research. They probably won't do another since they those two table (twilight and Star trek) was the ones in the highest demand. I want the Adam family but it's not that high in demand.
Posted Image

#5977 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

I still dont get the amount of bitching over an optional service for about $4.16 a month if you pay full price. And even non CAGs have had ample opportunity to get plus for less than that due to several deals like an additional 3 months etc.

The auto DLs, patches and trophy synch alone are worth it for me. On top of that I still have about 10-15 free or deeply discounted games DL to my PS3 and more I can DL later for free that I havent touched yet due to my backlog. And these are the games I actually want to play. There have been a ton more that have been offered up for free that I couldnt care less about.

The bitching comes from rewards not aligning with what is expected. Not everyone cares about the free games the US gets because they may already have it or don't want what is offered that week. Once locked in, that weekly 'need' to justify the purchase is often unfulfilled or worse, overshadowed by the EU. I personally have not played a single free game from PS+ except Simpson's Arcade, so I'd fall into the unsatisfied category and I'm not alone. Just because content is given does not mean people are happy with it.

Also, I wouldn't even have a sub if not for the Target price mistake over a year ago and once my final year is up, I will not be subscribing again barring another huge discount I'd be mad to pass up. I will say the one and only feature I do enjoy is cloud saves, but one could argue this should be a default feature nowadays.

#5978 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

I think the only time I've been disappointed in their selection of games is when they offer titles I've already bought for platform.

Beyond that, what are you paying for? Cloud saves clearly qualify as a service being provided for you. But paying an annual fee to qualify for discounts? That's a bit questionable as a primary motivating factor. Automatic updates should be a given for everyone given how awfully slow the PS3 updating is. If the betas they offered were truly betas, wouldn't they want as many people as possible to be playing it? I can't blame Sony for simply offering some additional bullet points to sell the service.

I have to say I've been really happy with the service ever since I've signed up simply for the cloud saves and "free" games alone.

Well, it's not so much that I'm paying an annual fee to qualify for discounts, it's the fact that I'm getting discounts and features on top of the free games. I would guess that the average PS+ bought PS+ because of the fact that they'll get free games, and while that was the primary drawing factor for me as well, it wasn't the sole reason I wanted PS+.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#5979 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

The bitching comes from rewards not aligning with what is expected. Not everyone cares about the free games the US gets because they may already have it or don't want what is offered that week. Once locked in, that weekly 'need' to justify the purchase is often unfulfilled or worse, overshadowed by the EU. I personally have not played a single free game from PS+ except Simpson's Arcade, so I'd fall into the unsatisfied category and I'm not alone. Just because content is given does not mean people are happy with it.

Also, I wouldn't even have a sub if not for the Target price mistake over a year ago and once my final year is up, I will not be subscribing again barring another huge discount I'd be mad to pass up. I will say the one and only feature I do enjoy is cloud saves, but one could argue this should be a default feature nowadays.

How can you be unsatisfied if you've never played any of the free games? You're missing out on some gems.

I hate weeks like this. I'm getting:
Rayman 3
Derrick the Deathfin
Ecolibrium

Three more games to the backlog!

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#5980 Zbornak

Zbornak

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

anyone know if CLADUN: This is an RPG! is worth $10?

I've only played the original Cladun, but from the reviews I've read, x2 is pretty much a rehash of the original with more content. You'd probably be best off just getting x2.
Posted Image

#5981 AkariK

AkariK

マスタースパーク

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

So far, the only ps+ feature I'm using, aside from some of the free games, is cloud saving, and solely to clear up icons on my vita. It's absolutely terrible that there is no alternative. The rest of the features I don't care about.

Oh, and I have to absolutely recommend against Big Sky Infinity. It's fun, but there are so many BS deaths to absolutely nothing on the screen that you'll just throw up your arms in disgust...

#5982 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

If there's nothing you've been happy with except for Simpsons Arcade, PS+ is probably not for you. Good thing you only paid $15 or so for it.

You probably wouldn't be the best person to answer this since you got your subscription for so cheap, but I'm curious what people like you (who paid full price) were expecting when signing up for PS+?

So far, the only ps+ feature I'm using, aside from some of the free games, is cloud saving, and solely to clear up icons on my vita. It's absolutely terrible that there is no alternative. The rest of the features I don't care about.

Oh, and I have to absolutely recommend against Big Sky Infinity. It's fun, but there are so many BS deaths to absolutely nothing on the screen that you'll just throw up your arms in disgust...

I downloaded the Big Sky demo last night, but from what I've heard from you and others, I won't enjoy it. It's funny, I almost want to not enjoy it, so I can justify spending $9 on Knytt instead.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#5983 DemonsMaster

DemonsMaster

Jrpg Addicts Anonymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

Been wanting From Dust for awhile.... I have a strong inclination that it will be cheaper on either XBL or PSN eventually but I'm thinking it's still awhile away. Either way I might just skip it. For sure picking up Critter Crunch however and hopefully my girlfriend enjoys it too cause she loves puzzle games.

We can learn as much, if not more, from bad games as we can from good ones.

That's my justification and I'm sticking to it.

#5984 AoA

AoA

Ace of Aces

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

Tables on pinball arcade are an absolute steal at 2.50 each. That's only 5 games if the table is set to 50 cents at the arcade, and you'd drop that on a table in a heartbeat. having excellent reproductions on your tv and handheld? priceless.

Granted, i'm waiting for a sale on some of the tables i don't know much about, but tables like Medieval Madness and Twilight Zone are easy buys.

Video pinball is not the same as real pinball though. As realistic as the physics may be, its just not the same experience. I like the Zen Pinball better because the tables are crazy and I can't compare it to the actual real life table.

#5985 Moonlk

Moonlk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

No prob. :)

I keep waffling on if I want to pick up a few of these to play on the go and for the faster loading times even though I own them all on disc. So I'm really aware of when my time runs out.

I'm the same way. I'm picking up the ff collection at least. I'm not sure if I'll get War of the Lions or not.
http://moonlk.blogspot.com - My Gamer Blog!

#5986 aaronrodgers

aaronrodgers

Yo...Siggy, Phido!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

Don't forget to download Draggle everyone if you have Ni no Kuni ;)

95438.png

LT1B2oV.png

#5987 biledriver

biledriver

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

On twitter Sleeping Dogs actually trended when it was announced as the EU free game. It ended up being great for EU and pretty rough for US as the tweets were all about how disappointed people are that they don't feel they are getting the same value.

Hard to say if monthly would make anything better, but Sony does need to pay attention to the perception whether you defenders of the service like it or not.

#5988 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

Just incase, I pledge the lowest in that kickstarter and got the table with the pro upgrade and the twilight ball. I believe the cost of the kickstarter was the actual cost of the licence itself from what little I can remember. The table they had to buy was for themselves and their research. They probably won't do another since they those two table (twilight and Star trek) was the ones in the highest demand. I want the Adam family but it's not that high in demand.

I'd love Lord of the Rings and Adam's Family.

#5989 AoA

AoA

Ace of Aces

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

You probably wouldn't be the best person to answer this since you got your subscription for so cheap, but I'm curious what people like you (who paid full price) were expecting when signing up for PS+?

I was expecting to save money in the long run. I bought the 3 month sub initially solely to take advantage of a sale and saved more than that just on last year's FF sale. Already a win for me.
Re-upped for a year at full price. Got Uncharted Vita and Wipeout Vita free. Again already worth it for me (I would have waited- and waited more- and hopefully paid 30 total for them if they went on non-PS+ sale). I'm sure I got $20 more in value somewhere so far.

#5990 simmias

simmias

Likely to be eaten by a grue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

You guys don't get flipper lag with Pinball Arcade? I tried to transition to the PSN versions from 360, but I found them unplayable on the PS3 due to lag in the exact same setup that had none on the 360.

#5991 lupe guillotine

lupe guillotine

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

You guys don't get flipper lag with Pinball Arcade? I tried to transition to the PSN versions from 360, but I found them unplayable on the PS3 due to lag in the exact same setup that had none on the 360.

Their stance on it might depends on the television being used. I dunno about that since I do feel the lag on the ps3 version and not on the xbox 360 and the Vita version.
Posted Image

#5992 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

You probably wouldn't be the best person to answer this since you got your subscription for so cheap, but I'm curious what people like you (who paid full price) were expecting when signing up for PS+?.

As someone who recently joined, I would say PS+ is absolutely worth it. Free games are a nice bonus but the best feature to me is the ability to download and installing patches/updates overnight. You also get some pretty solid discounts. I'm only paying $2.66 a month which in my opinion is not bad for what I'm getting.

PS+ still has a way to go to catch up to XBL but it certainly is impressive. A definite move in the right direction by Sony.

#5993 aaronrodgers

aaronrodgers

Yo...Siggy, Phido!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

Would love the ST Next Generation Table to come to life.

95438.png

LT1B2oV.png

#5994 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

How can you be unsatisfied if you've never played any of the free games? You're missing out on some gems.

Simply put, I haven't been interested in any of the offerings. The one game I might have tried was Vanquish, but that was EU only. They got another game recently I'd have tried, but I can't remember it atm.

#5995 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

I'd say that US PS+ is worth it, but EU+ is much, much better if you're looking for full retail releases.

#5996 jay_remedy

jay_remedy

Mila Kunis >

• Banned

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:00 AM

Simply put, I haven't been interested in any of the offerings. The one game I might have tried was Vanquish, but that was EU only. They got another game recently I'd have tried, but I can't remember it atm.

But they're free. Why not try them? You may be surprised.

I would still pay for Plus if they got rid of the free games and kept cloud saves, discounts, and automatic updates.

jayremedy.png29kwg3s.gif

sig.gif

#5997 Royal High Knight

Royal High Knight

Call me Señor Pink

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

Man, EU PS+ owners got Sleeping Dogs this week, What the Fuck is up with that? I guess us Americans can't have everything go our way ;)

#5998 Woocls

Woocls

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

the best feature to me is the ability to download and installing patches/updates overnight

This, to me, is the worst part of plus. The ability to download & install patches/updates when it's convenient should be free... The way the Non-plus PS3 handles it now is so dumb it blows my mind.

But they're free. Why not try them? You may be surprised.

I would still pay for Plus if they got rid of the free games and kept cloud saves, discounts, and automatic updates.

No way I'd pay for plus without the free games. I'd drop plus and probably only use my PS3 for blu-rays (like I used to before the IGC) The 360 just does everything better and that's where all my friends are.

#5999 chuckie88

chuckie88

Molder of Minds

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

I completely agree, I also like the vibe I get from this thread.:grouphug:
-Trying to think of something creative.-

#6000 NovaKane

NovaKane

On the real...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

I'm tempted to finally get Critter Crunch. $1.40 is a steal. I enjoyed the demo too.

I'm in the process of knockin' out my backlog though. Down to 14 games. I'm hesitant about addin' another to the list.

How long is the SP for Critter Crunch?

I take it no one has CC then? Lol.