Photo
- - - - -

PSN Weekly Deals - 3/26: Huge Square Enix Game/DLC, THQ, PixelJunk, and Worms Sales!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9825 replies to this topic

#8371 fei33

fei33

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:12 AM

What does everyone think of Sumioni: Demon Arts? I was thinking of possibly purchasing that, Sine Mora, Blazblue: Continuum Shift Extend, and Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7. I would purchase Dokuro and Knytt Underground, but bought Dokuro when the price dropped to $9.99 and I got Knytt Underground the last time it was on sale.

#8372 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:28 AM

so i've been avoiding big sky in large part because of the negative reviews here, but is there anyone here that loves it? i love dual stick shooters, and i don't mind if they're super intense. and i can't tell if people aren't liking it because it's hard, or just bad. any more feedback?

I enjoyed it when I tried it out for a livestream a few weeks ago. It's a neat mix of randomly-generated, shmup-style levels and dual-stick shooter controls that emphasize not shooting every single second. There are also a bunch of different modes that changes up the formula with limited lives, perks, and other things that makes it hard early on with the way the upgrade system works for your abilities. If you're into games that push you to get better, this might be a game for you.

#8373 Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige

For Answer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:30 AM

so i've been avoiding big sky in large part because of the negative reviews here, but is there anyone here that loves it? i love dual stick shooters, and i don't mind if they're super intense. and i can't tell if people aren't liking it because it's hard, or just bad. any more feedback?

I have put some hours into big sky infinity (playing on the ps3 entirely, haven't touched the vita version so take it as you will) and have all but 2-3 of the trophies.

The issues with projectiles blending into the background you mostly get used to. There are cascade and blackhole events that change the color of the screen to the point of making asteroids and lasers very difficult to see or completed blended until you hit them. Some of the randomness of it every once in a long while puts you into a situation where death is almost unavoidable. I find a common complaint for people who have even put several hours into it is that they get frustrated because they aren't exactly sure why they died.

As you level up in classic mode by collecting starbits the game gets increasingly harder to match and from what i have read from most people and my own experience makes it that much more difficult to see the various bosses in one run (you can see multiples of the same boss in one run like seeing 3 of the same and none of the others). The better you are doing in the game the difficulty scales with you. There are multiple modes that you unlock but the differences aren't huge (there's a mode where you can't use your weapon and have to only dodge, you can only earn upgrades in classic but the rest of the modes you can pick perks that it randomly lets you choose between 1-3 of them). They did release a patch that made ranking up faster and added a few things in

I liked it for a few bucks but I felt it was going to be more fun as I upgraded my ship as you start out kind of weak purposely, I get way higher scores now but it is much less fun. The way the difficulty scales it just puts me in the more annoying sections (they are a bit more difficult but I think they are more annoying than anything) far more often. The narrator really grates on you fast but luckily you turn that off. There is a shield upgrade but there is no "shield bar" to know how much it depletes and regenerates and you just kind of have to base it on noise and how glowy your ship is for your level of upgrading

#8374 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

ok, wow, thanks for the vid frisk and the long review Noblesse. Sounds like i might actually enjoy the game. i have plus so it's under 5... but it was free on eu+ so i hope i don't get burnt next month, lol. but i don't mind supporting this genre on the vita.

#8375 KneeKnee

KneeKnee

Trophy Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

I tried Bigbig sky before it went on sale and was disappointed. First, the announcer is the WORST I have ever heard in a game. Hes corny, lame, and unfunny. Luckliy you can turn him off.

The game (as mentioned before) is made harder because you cant see what is hitting you. I've died countless times and always felt like there was nothing near me. Some times white bullets kill you, other times they are part of the backround. Starbits (the collectible things) look like bullets, and the "hyperspace" portions are just chaos.

I'm not a fan of bullet hell games, i thought this was more like Super Stardust before I got it, but it just isnt fun to me.

KneeKnee.png

#8376 JMusic

JMusic

音楽人

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

Man I'm digging Vanquish big time :D . It is an underrated gem

I tried it out for the first time last night. I'm liking it a lot more than I thought I would and wonder why it hasn't gotten more discussion. I planned on playing it for 10 minutes before bed to see what it was like and went to bed three hours later.

The only downside of the game is it is a little heavy on the cutscenes. At the same time, at least they are entertaining cutscenes, and seem to be used in place of a loading screen to get you to the next level, so you never really feel like you're loading the next level.

#8377 breakin2

breakin2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

If I "buy" one of the PS Vita games that are free and then let my PS+ membership run out, can I still play the games I bought?

#8378 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

If I "buy" one of the PS Vita games that are free and then let my PS+ membership run out, can I still play the games I bought?

You keep all of the games you paid for. The free games are only playable with an active sub.

#8379 handsomepete

handsomepete

no one suspects a thing until April

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

I tried it out for the first time last night. I'm liking it a lot more than I thought I would and wonder why it hasn't gotten more discussion. I planned on playing it for 10 minutes before bed to see what it was like and went to bed three hours later.

The only downside of the game is it is a little heavy on the cutscenes. At the same time, at least they are entertaining cutscenes, and seem to be used in place of a loading screen to get you to the next level, so you never really feel like you're loading the next level.

Platinum Games is awesome and so is Vanquish. I really hope they end up with the Darksiders IP from THQ - I bet they'd do something fun with it. I haven't seen someone who has actually played Vanquish severely dislike it, but it just wasn't very high profile and it wasn't a sequel to an existing franchise so I think it just kinda tanked. It does have an 84 on metacritic though.

I'm on my third playthrough of Vanquish and I'm still finding little things (like the soldier named 'S. Mikami' and the fact that you can rip robots in half under the right circumstances and then call them 'cheap pieces of shit' or something - and apparently the disc weapon can also be used for melee?). Besides, what other game has a button that's used to smoke?

#8380 TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin

Formerly Graff^

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

Besides, what other game has a button that's used to smoke?

Every Metal Gear game. :P (though it doesn't get a dedicated button, I suppose)

TheSporkWithin.png
Trade List 3DS Friend Code: 0731-4785-9484

#8381 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

I became a PG fan as soonas I saw the animations on the weapons on Vanquish. I can't think of another game where a dev put so much effort into something so simple that is used so often. Not a CGI scene like an FF game, they made all those intricate animations for the wepons and they all look incredible. I have been praising the game since I got it a few years ago.

#8382 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

As a little cap on the discussion I had about the differences between Plants vs. Zombies on mobile and Vita, I finished the Android version of PvZ, which manages to be the worst of them all by far because it doesn't even have any other real modes outside of the campaign. At least I can grind for weeks to unlock stuff in the iPhone version to eventually unlock puzzle, minigames, and survival modes for the game.

#8383 PublikDefender

PublikDefender

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

• I noticed that they didn't mention the four free games for the vita anniversary in the official ps store update. Last week, were there any free vita games (like patapon, etc.)?

• Also, I really enjoyed Spec Ops but the game is really hard on fubar. It's the only trophy I'm missing and I may have to quit since it is just a slog for me.

#8384 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

I noticed that they didn't mention the four free games for the vita anniversary in the official ps store update. Last week, were there any free vita games (like patapon, etc.)?

No.

#8385 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

• I noticed that they didn't mention the four free games for the vita anniversary in the official ps store update. Last week, were there any free vita games (like patapon, etc.)?

• Also, I really enjoyed Spec Ops but the game is really hard on fubar. It's the only trophy I'm missing and I may have to quit since it is just a slog for me.

Where are you stuck currently? The first place I got seriously stuck in a firefight in FUBAR was in the
Spoiler
that and that damned
Spoiler

Guardian_owl.png

#8386 Blabadon

Blabadon

I just like video games

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

Playing a game like Spec Ops with barely decent gameplay and oftentimes boring combat scenarios on harder difficulties just shines more light on its flaws. It really is a narrative-first game.

That being said, I played it on Hard and enjoyed it quite a bit, I just hated the parts that became a slog as well.

I mostly post on GameSpot (http://www.gamespot....users/Blabadon/), so don't feel afraid to PM me here or there.

rsz_zero_escape_screen_5.jpg

#8387 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

Playing a game like Spec Ops with barely decent gameplay and oftentimes boring combat scenarios on harder difficulties just shines more light on its flaws. It really is a narrative-first game.

That being said, I played it on Hard and enjoyed it quite a bit, I just hated the parts that became a slog as well.

I played it through on normal first, then Suicide, and I got about 3/4ths of the way through FUBAR before I lost interest. I think the balance of challenge and fun is at Suicide. On normal you can get away with not making use of shifting sand traps, squad fire commands, stealth kills, executions (for bonus ammo), grenades, and you don't have to be too careful with poking out from cover until later in the game. At suicide level you have to make use of all the tools in the toolbox, but there is still a little give in which you can recover from mistakes and press on without dying and having to restart.

For instance, in the section after you first get the sniper rifle I kept dying on Suicide. On normal I didn't even notice (nor need), the
Spoiler
. Finding that on my own and making use of it to clear that difficult hurdle was an awesome feeling.

Guardian_owl.png

#8388 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:19 AM

http://blog.us.plays...3-new-releases/

Here's The Drop for this week:

PSN

Darkstalkers: Resurrection – The beloved Darkstalkers fighting game franchise is back and ready to take the fight to current gen consoles in this double-pack of Darkstalkers games.
Featuring a unique and colorful cast of characters blended with fast-paced fighting action, Darkstalkers Resurrection contains two games (Night Warriors: Darkstalkers Revenge and Darkstalkers 3), for the price of one. Each game has a slew of features added including: robust GGPO-enabled online game play, HD graphical filtering with multiple viewing options, replay sharing, Spectator Mode, in-game achievements, Challenge/Tutorial Mode and an un-lockable vault filled with concept artwork, videos and more.

Quantum Theory – Many years have passed since the world war inflicted catastrophic damage on the human race, leaving only a few survivors. In their new community Cocoon, life has been threatened by a black material called Erosion, creating a post-apocalyptic environment. Surviving humans recruit a militia to conquer the Erosion and set out to take down the evil, Living Tower. Arriving at the scene is the stalwart warrior Syd, whose only intentions are to destroy the Tower. He meets the beautiful and mysterious Filena as they both ascend to the top in their search for answers.

Heavy Fire: Shattered Spear – Heavy Fire: Shattered Spear is the sequel to Heavy Fire: Afghanistan that sends soldiers after a captured spy who holds the plans to a secret Iranian nuclear weapons facility.

Psych Yourself (PSN Exclusive) – Psych Yourself provides the game consumer with a whole new experience,” says Vlad Starzhevsky, CEO of Creat Studios Inc. “Test Yourself was good at testing and training your innate abilities such as Intelligence, Attention Span, Reaction Times and Memory. Psych Yourself goes to the next level, delving into your inner-most psyche and discovering what kind of person you really are.

Puzzle By Nikoli V: Sudoku (PSN Exclusive) – The Puzzle by Nikoli series has come to the PlayStation®Vita, and “Sudoku” is the first installment in the series! All fifty challenges have been carefully designed by Nikolai personally, which ensures that each solution is distinctive and different! Everyone from novices to experts is sure to lose themselves in this immersive puzzle world.

Demos

Army of Two: The Devil Cartel
Darkstalkers: Resurrection
Fuel Overdose
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge

PlayStation 2 Classics

Kessen II
– Become a Chinese general and conquer the world in Kessen II from Koei. Players plan out strategies, then watch as armies carry out their orders in real time. The tale of two warring Chinese generals, Liu Bei and Cao Cao, sets the stage for war in a scenario similar to the background of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms saga. Magic will play a part in the action: lightning, tornados, and earthquakes can all be summoned to wreak havoc among enemy troops.

PSone Imports

Favorite Dear: Enkan no Monogatari
First Queen IV
Mahjong Uranai Fortuna: Tukino Megamitachi
Motorhead: High Velocity Entertainment
Rung Rung: Oz no Mahou Tsukai
Sentimental Graffiti
Trump Shiyouyo! (Fukkoku Ban)

#8389 Solh0und

Solh0und

King of the backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:16 AM

I tried Sine Mora on a higher difficulty tonight and wet my pants. How will I fare in Big Sky Infinity?

It's decent. If you're good at figuring out all the bells and whistles of the game, I'm positive you'll get a kick out of it.

#8390 affa

affa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:47 AM

crap, just realized the sale on big sky is over this update. so i need to decide pronto. wish i knew what sales were happening because i'd grab it if i think i'm close to $50... but right now i'm only in the $20-30 range.

#8391 Solh0und

Solh0und

King of the backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:04 AM

crap, just realized the sale on big sky is over this update. so i need to decide pronto. wish i knew what sales were happening because i'd grab it if i think i'm close to $50... but right now i'm only in the $20-30 range.

Well it's only the 10th of march so you still got time to indulge in some of the future sales this month. I'm positive there has to be a couple more.

#8392 FerDK

FerDK

Old School

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:11 AM

Figured it out, and Wild Arms is now downloading on my PS3. :)

1. Download and install Media Go: http://mediago.sony.com/enu/features

2. Sign in with your PSN account on Media Go.

3. Click "Store" on the top-left.

4. Search for each of the free games, go to their pages, and click Download on each.

5. They will now be in the download list on your PS3, and you are free to cancel the downloads that Media Go has going. :)

Thanks to Jut for the heads-up about Media Go!

I just checked Media Go, and it turns out you can claim all the games in the free games promo through it. So the list goes:
Wild Arms (PS one Classic)
Patapon (PSP)
Piyotama (PSP)
Patchwork Heroes (PSP)

I have a psp, and I remember loving the demos for Patapon and Patchworks Heroes, so this news made me quite happy. :bouncy:

Thanks guys, I just purchased this 4 games for $0.
I already checked and they are on my Ps3 download list :D
Posted Image

#8393 FerDK

FerDK

Old School

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:23 AM

When does the store update again?

Even more importantly... AT WHAT TIME!!!
Posted Image

#8394 Kolma

Kolma

I like french toast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:25 AM

This might help you out.
If you have a PS3 and a Vita, the game does cross save!
Not only that, but trophies AREN'T shared.
Example...
*play on vita and unlock 3 trophies
*auto transfer save to ps3
*ps3 gets up to date with you vita version and you unlock the same 3 trophies again.

560501.png

xivpads.png

retrosig.png?a_gc=255%2C110%2C13&a_mc=25

#8395 Bumslie

Bumslie

Positive Mental Attitude

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:29 AM

This is what I'm wondering. My favorite is when they update early people complain oh I didn't download this or that. I love how Sony updates the store. It's such a mystery.

#8396 FlyingMonkey9

FlyingMonkey9

Genetically Modified CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:40 AM

Hope disgaea 3 goes up for vita this week

#8397 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:18 AM

Vita updates are usually end of the month.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#8398 The Furry Panda

The Furry Panda

Bravest Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:01 AM

Vita updates are usually end of the month.

the jist of all the updates aren't usually announced at the begining of the month though :)

#8399 excellen

excellen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

Every Tuesday at 0:00 GCT

#8400 scaryice

scaryice

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:42 AM

Leaving PS Plus In March

• March 5th – Guardians of Middle Earth
  • March 12th – Quantum Conundrum
  • March 19th – Dungeon Defenders
  • March 19th – Foosball 2012 PS Vita
  • March 26th – Plants Vs Zombies

We should get one PS3 game this week, one PS3 and one Vita game next week, and the last Vita game in two weeks.