Photo
* * * * * 35 votes

XBL Deals|7/4 Only- Witcher2, OrangeBox, More | 7/5 Only-Hitman:Absolution $10, More | ME3: Omega | BL2 DLC (Gold) | FREE Defense Grid (Gold) | MORE

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11088 replies to this topic

#1081 Junpei

Junpei

Think big. Start small. Move fast.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

Well said. My favorite part about achievements/trophies is that it basically just keeps a running log of everything I play. I wrote a CAG blog write up for all of my gaming in January, and all I had to use to write it was my achievement and trophy lists.

I'm just sorry that achievements went pretty quick from being an overlay of something actually useful game-wise (i.e. milestones that unlocked weapons in Dead Rising or bonuses in Mass Effect to use in subsequent playthroughs) to just story checkpoints and ways to enlarge e-penises doing mostly stupid or tedious things. Don't get me wrong, I love being able to show off my progresses to e-buddies (and I've dispensed you from more colorful metaphors :roll:), it's just that I think they're an extremely underused feature...

I remember asking Signal Studios about the possibilities of game content tied to a user's gamerscore. Since the theme of the game is a huge Gods vs. Titans clash, I thought that being able to reflect global achievements into player's appearance or cosmetic choices (not as mechanical advantages, anyway) would have been cool, but their answer was like: "If only gamerscore could be used for anything..." :cold:
Posted Image

Check your PMs. I left that one out of the group that went under my pits.

#1082 Seasick Pirate

Seasick Pirate

Rachael's Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Totally forgot to pick up the Ghostbusters Jumpsuits for the avatars. Guess I didn't care enough about them for an actual purchase. Still would have been cool though.

#1083 Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear

For the Horde!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Totally forgot to pick up the Ghostbusters Jumpsuits for the avatars. Guess I didn't care enough about them for an actual purchase. Still would have been cool though.

They should still be on sale. I just bought one yesterday. I believe they are on sale through today, meaning they end tomorrow.

Go to the first page and click the link in the OP and see if they are still discounted to be sure.

#1084 Brock F'N Sampson

Brock F'N Sampson

FightingGame Brawler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

Speaking of stalkers, I'm randomly throwing friend requests on XBL whenever I see some CAGers sporting their gamertag under his/her profile picture, so hope you fellas don't mind... \\:D/

I don't mind.:cold:

So the overall consensus on EDF: 2017 is if you don't have it, get it now from XBLA since it's very difficult to find a copy that's in great shape with everything included (manual, cover, etc.) for $15, right? I guess I'm going to get it then.

Also as far as the Onechanbara DLC goes, if I wanted to get everything I could just buy the full pack data for $10 and it would include the other 2 dlc that are on sale now?

Edited by Brock F'N Sampson, 11 February 2013 - 05:53 PM.

#1085 Lord_Kefka

Lord_Kefka

Son of a Submariner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

My Gamerscore is just over 117,000 right now. I hit 100,000 last year.

It's really not that hard get 20,000 Gamerscore a year.

I've averaged about 10K a year. I tend to try to complete everything in games I'm interested in, or play a lot of MP beyond the achievements (Halo, Mass Effect 3). I also work a full-time job and own a home....so yeah, 20K seems like a big stretch to me.

I'm just sorry that achievements went pretty quick from being an overlay of something actually useful game-wise (i.e. milestones that unlocked weapons in Dead Rising or bonuses in Mass Effect to use in subsequent playthroughs) to just story checkpoints and ways to enlarge e-penises doing mostly stupid or tedious things. Don't get me wrong, I love being able to show off my progresses to e-buddies (and I've dispensed you from more colorful metaphors :roll:), it's just that I think they're an extremely underused feature...

Exactly! Some of the tedious things in ME1 with the "Get 100 kills with weapons X, Y and Z" had a bonus behind it. And I still want to go back and replay Dead Rising to finish the Mega Man armor and dick around. Cause it's fun! Hey, an unlockable costume that doesn't cost 240 points or require a specific retailer pre-order. *sigh* I miss that. And it's kept me from trading the game into the hated pre-owned stock that the publishers hate so much. It's a genius idea, not only do you get that number and proof of your progress in the game, but an extra that you can show your friends which spur them to do the same. Instead, it's a $3 shortcut for all. Suck. The whole industry is going on a shitty path with this.

Lord Kefka... you're insatiable.

My Tradelist

#1086 gunnm

gunnm

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

girls have cooties

#1087 Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear

For the Horde!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

girls have cooties

This.

Also natural light is bad for your eyes.

#1088 Stellar Inertia

Stellar Inertia

Completionist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

This.

Also natural light is bad for your eyes.

Should we also throw in the fact that fast food is optimum for your diet?

512847.png

#1089 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

Viva Hate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

There are bears outside.

Posted Image

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#1090 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

Chiming in on the achievement talk, I personally love them and while they do influence what games I play, I will never just flat-out not play a game for achievements. Sadly, I will play a game solely to get easy achievements, but I won't ignore one if it has difficult or time-consuming achievements. It may get pushed to the end of the backlog, but that's besides the point.

I was fairly late to the Xbox party finally getting one back in late 2010. As you'd expect, I had a lot of games to play so I racked up about 20,000 Gamerscore that first year. Since then, I've only made it up to ~31,000 mainly because Battlefield 3 and WWE 12/13 take up a lot of my time. If I actually put those games aside and focused on my backlog, I'd probably be at or near 50,000 by now. I do play quite a bit of PS3 as well, where I have a decent amount of trophies, so that's holding me back too.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#1091 Zonic505

Zonic505

People read these?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

There are bears outside.

Know what else is outside? WARS. When's the last time you ever heard of a war happening inside? NEVER!

Also, Major Nelson confirmed he'll have a blog up of upcoming games, sales & all that tomorrow.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1092 HomieGFunk03

HomieGFunk03

The Pied Piper of Gaming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

I actually like the uplay model. Earn a few relatively straight forward achievements and earn points to unlock bonuses relating to the game. I only get achievement hungry when I'm already 80% there.

#1093 gotdott

gotdott

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

Know what else is outside? WARS. When's the last time you ever heard of a war happening inside? NEVER!

Also, Major Nelson confirmed he'll have a blog up of upcoming games, sales & all that tomorrow.

Posted Image

:lol:

#1094 ArmyOfFun

ArmyOfFun

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

I don't have the GS itch that some do, but every once in a while I'll find myself grinding one out and inevitably hate myself a little more. I think I've mentioned it on CAG, but one of the saddest for me was getting the "Casanova" achievement in The Saboteur. I enjoyed the game quite a bit and decided to get every achievement once I beat the SP and found I only had a few left. The "Casanova" achievement requires getting your GTA-like alert level up and then finding a Parisian slut to make out with because even the Nazis knew lovers and fighters were mutally exclusive groups. You have to do this 50 times. So I spent hours of my real life not touching or interacting with real girls (though, really, just my wife), in order to virtually make out with virtual girls for virtual points that have no meaning or value except, perhaps, as a metric on how far I'd sunk.

Edited by ArmyOfFun, 11 February 2013 - 10:39 PM.

#1095 ooga

ooga

Mmm Zombie Chickens!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

I don't have the GS itch that some do, but every once in a while I'll find myself grinding one out and inevitably hate myself a little more. I think I've mentioned it on CAG, but one of the saddest for me was getting the "Casanova" achievement in The Saboteur. I enjoyed the game quite a bit and decided to get every achievement once I beat the SP and found I only had a few left. This requires getting your GTA-like alert level up and then finding a Parisian slut to make out because even the Nazis knew lovers and fighters were mutally exclusive groups. You have to do this 50 times. So I spent hours of my real life not touching or interacting with real girls (though, really, just my wife), in order to virtually make out with virtual girls for virtual points that have no meaning or value except, perhaps, as a metric on how far I'd sunk.

LOL. I have the game, and if I ever get to play it (that's a big if) I'm sure your post will come to mind several times. :)

Click on GamerCard below for my game list.

MrzombieChicken.jpg

http://mygamerprofil...mrzombiechicken

#1096 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

You do know it's become farily different from the original right? It's all about synchro fusion and adding up levels of monsters in order to make another monster. I miss the simple yugioh of 2003-2006.

Ah the days of Yata Lock & Envoy of the Beginning/End

I top 8 a Yugioh regional in summer 2004 running an Earth Beatdown deck with Berzerk Gorilla's and Toon Gemini Elf's.

Also competitive Yugioh is the most costly financially TCG ever. Even now it would cost you $1-2K to build the current top tier decks from scratch.

#1097 Lonedragon87

Lonedragon87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

Any thoughts on earthworm jim?

#1098 Brock F'N Sampson

Brock F'N Sampson

FightingGame Brawler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

As far as the Onechanbara DLC goes, if I wanted to get everything should I just buy the full pack data for $10? Would it include the other 2 DLC that are on sale now?

#1099 cthomer5000

cthomer5000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

Bought Zeno Clash out of boredom. Hoping for some interesting sales this week.

#1100 HDShadow

HDShadow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:33 AM

I don't think it's just free time, a lot of people with high gamerscores play lame and easy games intentionally, or just race through games. These aren't real gamers though. I don't ever get the point of playing through a game just to boast about it. It's one thing if someone asks you about a game or difficulty, but to play through literally 100s of games in less than 8 years isn't just weird, it's got to be really unhealthy. And that Stallion guy isn't a real gamer. Racing to get 1,000,000 points...for what? Seriously, I play games and shouldn't judge, but there's literally no reward for that. Not even money, a Guinness World Record, or a Game Informer article that comes across as sad, makes up for how literally worthless that life is. If you're not playing games to have fun...why are you playing games?

I actually played games like Halo 3 and Gears of War to play them. If I got an achievement in Halo 3, it was because it just happened. I'll never get the point of boosting for things like that, when the whole point of the achievement is to achieve it. I've said it before, but I'm convinced I'm the only person to ever legitimately get Save This Film (really it should be called Save This Video). I'm sure it felt much more satisfying and surprising to earn than it would have by having to exploit matchmaking or connection setups, or have people stand still while I kill them. What's the point of achieving something you didn't earn. No one should care about your gamerscore (except Microsoft with that Rewards Program).

I'm a completionist. That's my thing. I enjoy having unlocked every achievement and fully putting away a game once and for all. Occasionally I'll go back and continue to play. Halo: Reach was that to me. But, it's nice seeing that 100%.

#1101 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:46 AM

I bought Arcadecraft, it was fun. However, it is way too easy, I left arcade cabinets default and had no problem progressing until the end.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1102 Stellar Inertia

Stellar Inertia

Completionist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

I'm a completionist. That's my thing. I enjoy having unlocked every achievement and fully putting away a game once and for all. Occasionally I'll go back and continue to play. Halo: Reach was that to me. But, it's nice seeing that 100%.

Completely agree. A complete game is the true achievement. :bouncy:
On a side note, legit perfections on Halo aren't as rare as The Ebbtide is making it out to be.

512847.png

#1103 seppuku

seppuku

too many games, not enough time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:57 AM

I'm now having second thoughts about getting all of the Alien Breed games. The constant corpse and cabinet searching for supplies and ammo is a real grind. Maybe I'll just switch it to easy and blow through the baddies.
XBLA wish list: Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds, Double Dragon Neon...
Xbox 360 wish list: Diablo III

#1104 harry hood

harry hood

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

I'm now having second thoughts about getting all of the Alien Breed games. The constant corpse and cabinet searching for supplies and ammo is a real grind. Maybe I'll just switch it to easy and blow through the baddies.

i'm still debating as well. How are you enjoying it otherwise? I know what I'd be getting with repetitive gameplay, same enemies, etc, but how is the atmosphere? I think I could manage some fun out of it

#1105 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:35 AM

i'm still debating as well. How are you enjoying it otherwise? I know what I'd be getting with repetitive gameplay, same enemies, etc, but how is the atmosphere? I think I could manage some fun out of it

im debating too as i rather enjoyed the first one. of course keep in mind i don't play a ton of games in that genre so im not really comparing it to much else.

#1106 seppuku

seppuku

too many games, not enough time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:14 AM

I'm about 30-40 minutes in, and the repetition is pretty rampant. So far the only formula has been go to point A -> stop -> go to point B to unlock something at point A -> continue past point A -> survive enemy waves at point C -> rinse -> repeat.

I do enjoy the Aliens the movie-esque atmosphere though, the graphics are pretty good, and mowing down droves of giant crunchy insect-like ETs is pretty satisfying. Chapters are divided by voiced-over comic book-style cut scenes that are on par with what I'd expect from an XBLA game.

I'll play a little more tonight and make my final decision.
XBLA wish list: Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds, Double Dragon Neon...
Xbox 360 wish list: Diablo III

#1107 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Owns Every Hamster Game* on PSN

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:47 AM

Got a chance to play the Atari and some of the D3 demos. They were pretty much all awful, I thought I would enjoy Warlords but I didn't. I did appreciate that hard mode in Matt Hazard BBB is called "Fuck this Shit".

I still have to play the Yar's Revenge demo, I remember kind of liking it when I tried it the first time it went on sale.

EDIT: Passing on Yars too, I can't seem to get the control scheme down. I ended up buying the Undergarden DLC for $1 and that's it for me this week. Hopefully some good deals tomorrow. Wouldn't mind seeing Pid or Black Knight Sword pop up.

Edited by tylerh1701, 12 February 2013 - 04:26 AM.

tylerh1701.png BZljDsc.jpg

Check out my CAG Blog!  NEW POST: My XBLA Backlog

#1108 BUTTON_sMASHER

BUTTON_sMASHER

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:42 AM

Any thoughts on earthworm jim?

Pretty much a lazy paint job of the original. Very small differences here and there such as no "hallelujah" sound effect when you get an extra life. Has a great avatar award of an EWJ suit though.

Edit: I can't hang with the Yars control scheme either. This style works better in Sin and punishment for wii.

#1109 B-Man

B-Man

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:51 AM

Everybody who's trying to make a final decision on the Alien Breed games, relax. You don't have to decide tonight. Team17 confirmed on their Twitter page that these are permanent price drops.

#1110 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:54 AM

IGywOP6uCCs

I don't think it's just free time, a lot of people with high gamerscores play lame and easy games intentionally, or just race through games. These aren't real gamers though.

People play games for a variety of reasons: relaxation, challenge, socialization, completion... There is no Game Police to decide who's a gamer and who isn't. As long as people aren't cheating or griefing, we have no reason to belittle how and why they play games.

I always wanted a stalker that was an amazing cook.

Imagine, someone around all the time always giving you things like lasagna and fresh baked cookies.

Dang, that sounds perfect... As long as she doesn't cook your pet bunny. :lol: