Ouya - Console Preorder Thread

blinknot4

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
For those that are interested, the Ouya is now available for preorder for those of us (myself included) that did not get in on the Kickstarter. Hopefully this thing is turns out to be pretty cool...

The console is $99.99. Each extra controller is $49.99. Ships this spring/summer.

Amazon:
Console
Extra Controller

Best Buy:
Console
Extra Controller

Target:
Console

Gamestop:
Console
Extra Controller

Direct from the Ouya website*:
Console
Extra Controller
*Thanks to KillerRamen for the links!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, glad this thing is actually coming to fruition. Not in love with the prices of the controllers but that's how they get you. Guess the controller looks to be bigger than the console so maybe it is a steal at $50.

Really happy to see them launching in stores in June. I was a very early Kickstarter backer (number 27) and am super pumped to mess with it.

Is this one of those systems that streams the games and you can't download them? A buddy of mine had one of those and it was terrible.

Preordered on Amazon. Why not, right? At best, this thing will be emulation city, at worst, it'll play android games. Its a win win, depending on how you look at it.

[quote name='alexkidd4']Is this one of those systems that streams the games and you can't download them? A buddy of mine had one of those and it was terrible.[/QUOTE]

No, your talking about Onlive. Ouya is an Android based(custom) gaming console.

Hopefully the controller actually lives up to their promises. I won't lie, it looks like a super light, un-ergonomic, cheap piece of plastic. Hopefully the wings are long enough to provide a decent grip. I have to hand them this, at least they're listening to people and totally reworked the d-pad. Or maybe they figured out that their best chance at success it's getting a large following with the emulation scene, so a good d-pad was vital.

I'm still super excited about the potential. I was backer #300 something (preordered the morning it went live). The biggest bottleneck to indie games really exploding is distribution. There's so much red tape and fees that go into getting published on XBL and PSN. Then there's Steam. It's notoriously hard getting a game published on Steam (I know people who actually have really nice, solid games that just can't get the thumbs up from Steam). And then there's the lack of mainstream adoption for PC gaming. OUYA has a point, most people just want to sit in front of a TV, me included. Even if the store is bombed with crapware, the ratings system will help the gems float to the top. I'm really excited to see what people will create with a developer friendly platform, especially with announced Unity support.

[quote name='leungw']The controller was only $30 when it was on Kickstarter....[/QUOTE]
The controller did receive a redesign after developer feedback. I'm sure that added to the cost.

OUYA controller

In the end I think this ends up being a platform for hackers and indie type developers to test out and advertise their games on. Making money releasing a game on this will be spotty at best and that will keep larger studios from focusing efforts to develop on it. Maybe I end up being wrong but it just seems not secure enough to release paid games on. It will be interesting to see.

[quote name='alwayscheaper']Thanks for the msrp preorder. Let us know when the ps4 is announced or hell just any game for preorder so we can get in on sweet sweet msrp.[/QUOTE]

Dude, really? Quit being an ass.

Thanks but no thanks OP. I'll skip this waste of money and save a hundred bucks. It's an off-the-wall idea that sounds like it could be awesome, but I can't imagine this thing will be anything but an overpriced novelty. I might pick one up out of the clearence bin for $20 6 months post-launch though.

[quote name='ProppaT']Hopefully the controller actually lives up to their promises. I won't lie, it looks like a super light, un-ergonomic, cheap piece of plastic. Hopefully the wings are long enough to provide a decent grip. I have to hand them this, at least they're listening to people and totally reworked the d-pad. Or maybe they figured out that their best chance at success it's getting a large following with the emulation scene, so a good d-pad was vital.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it will take no time at all before someone figures out how to easily pair with a dualshock or xbox controller. I didn't request a second controller on kickstarter just for that reason.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Thanks but no thanks OP. I'll skip this waste of money and save a hundred bucks. It's an off-the-wall idea that sounds like it could be awesome, but I can't imagine this thing will be anything but an overpriced novelty. I might pick one up out of the clearence bin for $20 6 months post-launch though.[/QUOTE]

When you take into consideration that, worst case scenario, you're getting a 1080p XBMC/PLEX box with Netflix/Hulu support, support for all your favorite music streaming services, an emulator box, thousands of Android apps, and a controller that also plays games for $100...well, it starts making Apple TVs and Roku boxes stop looking like such good deals.

Seriously, worst case scenario you're getting what will evolve into one of (if not) the best set top boxes on the market in the $100 range. Even if the game side flops, it's still worth it for the set top box.

[quote name='thebert']I'm sure it will take no time at all before someone figures out how to easily pair with a dualshock or xbox controller. I didn't request a second controller on kickstarter just for that reason.[/QUOTE]

I'll be honest, I'll probably end up shelving the controllers for USB classic controllers and joysticks, but I kinda figured the price on them would jump up so I went ahead and ordered a second while they were cheap. Worst case scenario, I can flip it and make about $10 off of it. Best case, it's an awesome controller that I'll also use with my PC.

O.M.G.:whistle2:# Never heard of this! This has to have the gaming console industry petrified!!!!!!!!

I'd be interested in this after figuring out what they're going to do about that 8gb.

Hope they don't sell this to some big company too quick . $50 billion or bust.:cool:

EDIT: Ah, ok............

"8GB internal storage
Allows you to save your favorite games, apps and other media directly to the console. Expandable via USB 2.0 port"

I backed the kickstarter with an extra controller. My 11 year old son has been interested in game programming and I can't think of a better way to help push that interest forward.

[quote name='ProppaT']When you take into consideration that, worst case scenario, you're getting a 1080p XBMC/PLEX box with Netflix/Hulu support, support for all your favorite music streaming services, an emulator box, thousands of Android apps, and a controller that also plays games for $100...well, it starts making Apple TVs and Roku boxes stop looking like such good deals.

Seriously, worst case scenario you're getting what will evolve into one of (if not) the best set top boxes on the market in the $100 range. Even if the game side flops, it's still worth it for the set top box.[/QUOTE]

Last I checked, Ouya still uses a proprietary marketplace. Fresh out of the box, if I want to play Angry Birds on it, I get to buy it yet again. Also means those thousands of apps don't exist unless a developer ports 'em. I have no interest in maintaining yet another collection of digital software through another storefront. Now, if they really make it as easy to root and install a stock android OS, I'll have reason to get one. Though I lose nothing by waiting to see how easy that turns out.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Now, if they really make it as easy to root and install a stock android OS, I'll have reason to get one.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure they said at one point that they will be providing instructions on how to root it immediately.

[quote name='alwayscheaper']Thanks for the msrp preorder. Let us know when the ps4 is announced or hell just any game for preorder so we can get in on sweet sweet msrp.[/QUOTE]

Generally I'd agree with you, that pre-order threads really don't belong on the Deals page. But I think Cheapy likes them here for the referrals, which makes sense. Cheapy himself made the WiiU preorder thread, I believe.

[quote name='blindinglights']Pretty sure they said at one point that they will be providing instructions on how to root it immediately.[/QUOTE]

I know, I'm just somewhat skeptical of that claim. Their marketplace will be where they make all their profit, why give instructions on how to get away from it? Either it won't work that well, or they're banking on most people who buy it with those intentions being too lazy to do it.

This looks like a good media streaming box to me (Netflix, Hulu+, HBO GO, XBMC, UPnP, airplay are all available on Android) and emulation box for your TV. RetroArch is an excellent free Android emulator and replaces a dozen or so $3-$4 emulators in the play store.

I'm not sold on this as a new game platform yet. The vast majority of games being made for Android are built for touch screens. Those that do allow for touch seem to be ports or have better equivalents on the consoles that CAGs already have hooked up to their TVs.

I'm cautiously optimistic, however. I really would like to see some good games be developed for these Android consoles that are popping up. My phone's hardware won't play the Tegra 3 only Ouya games, but it's pretty good and plays almost everything in the store currently. I have a PS3 controller paired with it and a microHDMI cable to connect it to a TV. I'll use that setup to determine if I want an Ouya once the games start releasing.

[quote name='RySenkari']I'll wait and see how the emulation scene is on it.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm waiting on.

And that controller looks horrible. I thought they were going to redesign it?

I discovered the kickstarter right after it ended. I was so pissed. I'm surprised this is actually of the ground though. I wish they would rep lease the copper one from the kickstarter order.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Last I checked, Ouya still uses a proprietary marketplace. Fresh out of the box, if I want to play Angry Birds on it, I get to buy it yet again. Also means those thousands of apps don't exist unless a developer ports 'em. I have no interest in maintaining yet another collection of digital software through another storefront. Now, if they really make it as easy to root and install a stock android OS, I'll have reason to get one. Though I lose nothing by waiting to see how easy that turns out.[/QUOTE]

Last I checked, you can root it. Put yer stock Android. Play yer stock Android games. Use yer custom XBMC. Do a little dance none of us will ever hopefully see.

Profit.

[quote name='Vinny']That's what I'm waiting on.

And that controller looks horrible. I thought they were going to redesign it?[/QUOTE]

Stock Android has controller support. So... root it. Use a different controller?

Whether this thing succeeds or fails. I'm going to own a piece of gaming history ^_^
Regardless it will be a great emulation box!

The controllers in the dev kit looks very cheaply made... hope they post an actual gameplay video to review the performance.

I backed out of the original kickstart, will wait for it to drop to under $30.

[quote name='ProppaT']When you take into consideration that, worst case scenario, you're getting a 1080p XBMC/PLEX box with Netflix/Hulu support, support for all your favorite music streaming services, an emulator box, thousands of Android apps, and a controller that also plays games for $100...well, it starts making Apple TVs and Roku boxes stop looking like such good deals.

Seriously, worst case scenario you're getting what will evolve into one of (if not) the best set top boxes on the market in the $100 range. Even if the game side flops, it's still worth it for the set top box.[/QUOTE]

What doesn't do all that other stuff at this point though? My watch practically runs Netflix anymore. If you already own any of those other devices then these features are pretty worthless. If you don't then yes it makes it a much better value. As a multi-console owner they are going to have to do a lot better than "we can do that too" to get my money.

[quote name='Brash_Attack']I think I regret not getting an extra controller during the Kickstarter. Didn't know they would be so much more expensive at retail.[/QUOTE]

Root it and use a PS3 controller. If you don't already have one, they're $10 less on Amazon right now and it's probably a better controller.

[quote name='louiedog']This looks like a good media streaming box to me (Netflix, Hulu+, HBO GO, XBMC, UPnP, airplay are all available on Android) and emulation box for your TV. RetroArch is an excellent free Android emulator and replaces a dozen or so $3-$4 emulators in the play store.

I'm not sold on this as a new game platform yet. The vast majority of games being made for Android are built for touch screens. Those that do allow for touch seem to be ports or have better equivalents on the consoles that CAGs already have hooked up to their TVs.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not sold on this at all. I want XBMC on my TV but android support has been lackluster so far due to the divergence in hardware. I think most people would be better off with a pre-built or DIY HTPC. Then they can have all the emulators they want, Steam, etc. As for the games if google play has been any indication I just don't see this taking off as a game platform. Not to say there aren't some good games to be played but overall meh. I'm saving my $100 for something else.

Got a Neo Geo X Gold. Only allowed one ambitious purchase per year. Now I've got to wait and see how this thing performs and if they ever release rechargable controllers (similar to dual shock).

Thanks to the user who posted the retroarch app link, never heard of it before.

Now I gotta go learn how to sync my dualshock to my galaxy tab.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']What doesn't do all that other stuff at this point though? My watch practically runs Netflix anymore. If you already own any of those other devices then these features are pretty worthless. If you don't then yes it makes it a much better value. As a multi-console owner they are going to have to do a lot better than "we can do that too" to get my money.[/QUOTE]

You're missing the XBMC part. Being able to play any video format in 1080p on a console without having to use a video tunneling program on your PC is a pretty big thing for a lot of people. All I'm saying is that the device is worth $100 even without the gaming portion, as it's better and more configurable than all your Roku boxes and Apple TVs on the market in the same price segment. Pretty sure you'll be able to control it with your cell phone from the couch if you don't want to use the controller. This isn't a "we can do that too," this is a "we finally gave you the ability to watch whatever you want on a console without codec restrictions."

From a developer perspective, they're offering access to a marketplace without all the redtape and ridiculous fees that Sony and MS charge. There's a lot to be excited about if developers take a leap of faith. And by developers, I'm not talking about your EAs and SquareEnix's, I'm talking about your Phil Fish's and Newgrounds and Team Meat's of the gaming world.

[quote name='louiedog']Root it and use a PS3 controller. If you don't already have one, they're $10 less on Amazon right now and it's probably a better controller.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have a few and that's a solid plan I didn't think of. However, that controller would lose out on all the games that make use of the touchpad.

[quote name='jkam']I'm not sold on this at all. I want XBMC on my TV but android support has been lackluster so far due to the divergence in hardware..[/QUOTE]

OUYA is working with XBMC and Plex, so I would expect pretty good support. I mean, XBMC even stated on their blog that they were working with OUYA to ensure it works well, so I would expect a good product with continued support. I.e., you're not using the Android Market version of XBMC, you're using one customed for OUYA.

[quote name='jkam']I'm not sold on this at all. I want XBMC on my TV but android support has been lackluster so far due to the divergence in hardware. I think most people would be better off with a pre-built or DIY HTPC. Then they can have all the emulators they want, Steam, etc. As for the games if google play has been any indication I just don't see this taking off as a game platform. Not to say there aren't some good games to be played but overall meh. I'm saving my $100 for something else.[/QUOTE]

As someone who owns a HTPC (a big part of why I'm not interested in one of these in its current state) I can see the use case for both. If you want a HTPC that's always on yet dead silent for the living room you're going to spend a lot more than $100. Even the small, quiet Atom based machines are twice as much as this, and they won't do a whole lot of Steam gaming. I think they're very pretty different products.

bread's done
Back