Ouya - Console Preorder Thread

blinknot4

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
For those that are interested, the Ouya is now available for preorder for those of us (myself included) that did not get in on the Kickstarter. Hopefully this thing is turns out to be pretty cool...

The console is $99.99. Each extra controller is $49.99. Ships this spring/summer.

Amazon:
Console
Extra Controller

Best Buy:
Console
Extra Controller

Target:
Console

Gamestop:
Console
Extra Controller

Direct from the Ouya website*:
Console
Extra Controller
*Thanks to KillerRamen for the links!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='htz']The controller sells at the same MSRP price of a xbox 360 controller and PS3 controller. The extra $20 is probably something the retailer takes in since they are not going to stock this thing for free. The controller looks decent to me, touch input (PS4 controller?) and aluminum faceplate.

The CEO of ouya has also confirmed this controller will work with other devices.[/QUOTE]

Retailers traditionally make very little, if anything, off of console hardware. They basically carry it so they can sell the games, which have a fairly slim margin, but they have profit baked into their retail price. In the case of OUYA, games won't be available at retail, so they have to throw retailers a bone to carry the system. In this case, the bone is the controller markup.

[quote name='YellowGameboyColor']Can someone explain to me what rooting is?[/QUOTE]It basically means it allows you to run any program you want to.

[quote name='YellowGameboyColor']Can someone explain to me what rooting is? Sorry I'm a scrub :p

Also, can anyone tell me what the deal with this new console is?[/QUOTE]

It's like jailbreaking for the iphone..."cracking" the OS so you can do whatever you want with it.

I'm still torn on this and I was even a "temporary" Kickstarter backer at one point. I guess what stops me from being excited is that this is essentially a throw away device at $100 as well as no physical media (I can't let go of my shiny discs and cartridges). I'm still intrigued though and it could be a fun device just to fuck around with. I will wait and see until the first units go out in March and April. Of course, I know myself too well and I'll probably end up with one in June since I can't resist new tech toys.

A niche product, will never see the kind of big AAA games we're looking forward to on PC/Xbox720/PS4.
Will be embraced by the tech hipsters, but not hardcore gamers. Looks to me like some gadget you'd see in the electronic section of ToysRus, one that you give passing interest to for a few moments, before you walk over to the real games. This thing will be on NO kid's XMAS list. It'll be D.O.A.

The STEAMBOX, on the other hand...that will be interesting, and could shake up the console market.

To all the people that say there going to wait till this is $20,$50, etc. You'll probably never buy it anyway. Unless it comes with a $500 gift card, free shipping in a nanosecond, and lets you download the whole internets in a blink of a eye.

[quote name='TerraBemani'] Unless it comes with a $500 gift card, free shipping in a nanosecond, and lets you download the whole internets in a blink of a eye.[/QUOTE]

Oh come on... total exaggeration. I'd get it if it came with a $250-300 gift card.

I kid, I kid. I actually Kickstarter-funded this thing, so it should show up soon. :)

I am very interested but will only get it pending the other consoles showing. nintendo's wii-u looks ok. if ps4 or nextbox don't blow my away i'l probably go with a gaming PC + ouya + wii-u down the road. it also depends on how many games are made for the ouya and cost of each one. I want it to do well but we will see.

In for one, not so expensive honestly. I bet many of you, including me, have bought a $60 game (plus tax) and regret right away after playing it for few minutes. So, Why not give this a try? :) The controller is super ugly but as long as it is nice to use then I don't mind. The only problem would be the games prices :/ Any info about it? I don't want to make my own research.

[quote name='TerraBemani']Maybe this is almost like a beta test for the ps4/xbox 720 or something too.[/QUOTE]

Is this serious? Why is there so much talk about the 720/PS4 in here? You guys do realize this isn't a competitor to either of those, right? This is essentially nothing more than a smartphone hooked up to your television. It'll be great for random indie games and playing SNES games and shit on your TV, but that's about it.

I put in a placeholder preorder at Amazon just in case this becomes hard to find. I really want to do a BB preorder but having them randomly hold the $100 kills that for me.

What about preordering directly from ouya.tv...does anyone know if they charge immediately or upon shipment?

[quote name='shinclyde']It looks like a good Emulator machine, with a good community on it, we could see some nice and obscure emulators on it

From nes, snes, n64 to Dreamcast, neogeo, pcfx and more, plus xbmc and other goodies, it may turn out interesting.

:)[/QUOTE]

So much this. The other features are just bonuses for me but I'm particularly looking forward to the SNES emulator.

I think I might do an Amazon preorder now to lock one in, decide if I want to keep it between now and July. They don't charge until it ships so that's good.

I am very curious to see how this turns out almost tempted enough to pre-order and buy day one. I know my parents would adore this thing after I hacked it and gave it "retro" powers for them. I've seen Youtube videos of a certain plumber at retirement age running very nicely. They've never played angry birds though so even the stock system would blow they mind lol.

I think they have a problem in that I have no idea what this thing will actually play or do. I'm assuming others are in the same boat. I go here and it gives some info but not much.

Does it have Netflix? Prime Instant? Can I use Steam on it? Does it play Android or iOS games? They don't say anything about any of that as far as I could see.

Edit: Ok the video says it's Android based. I don't know what the hell that means though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Decided to go ahead and pre-order one from Amazon as a placeholder since they don't charge till shipping day. By that time i'm confident we will know what the thing is capable of. Dev kits have been out for several weeks and looks like alot of people are working backwards while others are working forward as to it's potential. :)

I backed this on Kickstarter, I think this has a ton of potential. I am least interested in the actual games that are being developed for this, I think it'll be an awesome media streamer and emulator. Any cool games that come out for it would be an unexpected plus for me.

THINGS AVAILABLE ON DAY 1:
GAMES:
100 Rogues
A Tofu Tail
Banner Saga Factions
Beast Boxer Turbo
Echoes of Eternia'
Final Fantasy III
Gorgeous Guardians
Grey: The Lost Technology
Gunblitz
Human Element Prequel
Legends of Aethereus
Mercenary Kings
Offensive Combat
Pier Solar HD
Positron
Rival Threads: Last Class Heroes
Saturday Morning RPG'
Shadowrun Online
Super Retro Squad
The Runthrough
Tropical Treasures 2 Deluxe
Yummy Circus

EMULATORS:
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Nintendo 64

OTHER:
iHeartRadio
Plex Media Server
TuneIn
TwitchTV
Vevo
XBMC

had me at SNES emulator

[quote name='Deader2818']So yeah, what exactly does this do? Play Fruit Ninja and Angry birds? Or can it actually play games like AC3 and Far Cry 3?[/QUOTE]

Its an android device so it wont be playing any windows based game directly. Android devices now can play windows games through Onlive and with remote desktop apps.

I have an asus transformer prime which does everything the Ouya does plus is a tablet so I see no need for the Ouya but I hope this breeds more android games with controller support. Outside of emulators and a few other games there really aren't many games that support controllers or are even made with controllers in mind.

This thing is seriously f uckin' stupid. The specs are awful, it isn't even a new concept, and a proprietary store. the fact people backed it for kickstarter just shows idiots will kickstart anything.

[quote name='xRidley']This thing is seriously f uckin' stupid. The specs are awful, it isn't even a new concept, and a proprietary store. the fact people backed it for kickstarter just shows idiots will kickstart anything.[/QUOTE]

hatersgonnacat.jpg

I contributed to this on kickstarter; whether it succeeds or fails I am a proud backer :D It's a neat little device I can easily pack up and take anywhere

I cannot believe apple hasn't done this yet for iOS- it's probably only a meter of time. I think if apple made something lime this it would be a monster hit. I would buy the OUYA, but I'm too connected to iOS. When apple gets around to making this I could see games being universal with ipad and iPhone,

[quote name='xRidley']This thing is seriously f uckin' stupid. The specs are awful, it isn't even a new concept, and a proprietary store. the fact people backed it for kickstarter just shows idiots will kickstart anything.[/QUOTE]
Lol, I think you are stupid. 100$ is a awesome price for a media center/emulator machine/streaming server.

It's tempting. Super Nes, Nintendo, Sega, Gameboy, etc. all run great on smartphones.

N64, Nintendo DS, and newer consoles tend to have issues. But still a great value for a mini Android PC for your tv.

I personally don't really see the point of Ouya...but then again, cell phone games are boring for me for most part...doesn't usually last me more than 2-3 hours

[quote name='djricekcn']I personally don't really see the point of Ouya...but then again, cell phone games are boring for me for most part...doesn't usually last me more than 2-3 hours[/QUOTE]

It's $100 and can stream video to your tv, can play emulators of old retro systems, includes the controller, the cable, the batteries, can play android games, etc.

It's like a cheap android HTPC for your tv with the controller included, and not locked down like an Xbox or PS3. It may not live up to everyone's hype, but for the cheap price, it will definetly have some uses, I imagine.

[quote name='djricekcn']I personally don't really see the point of Ouya...but then again, cell phone games are boring for me for most part...doesn't usually last me more than 2-3 hours[/QUOTE]

XBMC alone is worth it to stream your movie collection to your tv. There's also a plethora of apps out there that allows you to get live tv as well on XMBC.

I'm mainly getting it as my main emulation/ old school gaming device. The portability of the thing allows me to bring it to friend's houses.

[quote name='Minkyboi']XBMC alone is worth it to stream your movie collection to your tv. There's also a plethora of apps out there that allows you to get live tv as well on XMBC.

I'm mainly getting it as my main emulation/old school gaming device.[/QUOTE]

Ditto this. I backed it at $95.

Totally anticipate this will replace my jailbroken AppleTV2 for XBMC - and I can sell the ATV2 for at least twice the price of the Ouya. Which is just silly-stupid.

Throw in retro-gaming and whatever indie developers come up with, and it's $95 very well spent.

If Ouya also emulates a PS1 well, I'll be one happy camper.

June would be weird considering anticipated delivery of Pier Solar HD for other platforms is December 2013...but who knows?

With the right emulators, i will probably pick this up. I was one of the early backers but i backed out of my pledge for financial reasons. Honestly, i still stand behind that decision because i don't see this as the next big thing i initially believed it to be. Sure i can get emulators on my phone and touchpad but i dont care much for the touchscreen so this would be great for me. I'm really looking forward to where this console goes and how it becomes a part of my gaming. Still though, this has yet to be seen so i will save my pennies until its true potential is revealed.

Hmm.. these retail models appear to be Black, but the Kickstarter model appears to be silver... Has there been a design change, or are regular Kickstarter backers getting an exclusive color after all?

bread's done
Back