Ouya - Console Preorder Thread

blinknot4

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
For those that are interested, the Ouya is now available for preorder for those of us (myself included) that did not get in on the Kickstarter. Hopefully this thing is turns out to be pretty cool...

The console is $99.99. Each extra controller is $49.99. Ships this spring/summer.

Amazon:
Console
Extra Controller

Best Buy:
Console
Extra Controller

Target:
Console

Gamestop:
Console
Extra Controller

Direct from the Ouya website*:
Console
Extra Controller
*Thanks to KillerRamen for the links!

Last edited by a moderator:
Im a kickstarter backer simply for no other reason than I grew bored with Sony & Microsofts constant barrage of fps shooters. Wanted some creativity.

[quote name='djricekcn']I personally don't really see the point of Ouya...but then again, cell phone games are boring for me for most part...doesn't usually last me more than 2-3 hours[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why people can't understand, just because it uses a mobile OS doesn't mean it's going to all be mobile games. You'll probably see a bunch of quick ports of Android Market games, but the market is for games like you would expect to find on XBLA and PSN.

[quote name='luckycreature']Im a kickstarter backer simply for no other reason than I grew bored with Sony & Microsofts constant barrage of fps shooters. Wanted some creativity.[/QUOTE]

There's plenty of creativity on both systems, and neither company puts out a lot of FPS games.

[quote name='luckycreature']Im a kickstarter backer simply for no other reason than I grew bored with Sony & Microsofts constant barrage of fps shooters. Wanted some creativity.[/QUOTE]

Get a PC. All kinds of weird stuff on PC. Then get an HDMI cable and plug it in to your TV. This is coming from the happy owner of a 360 and PS3, by the way.

For those worrying it's just going to be a bunch of phone games, be aware that Double Fine is going to bring The Cave and their kickstarted adventure game to Ouya. The adventure game was already coming to Android, but The Cave (regardless of its faults) is interesting because I don't know that it would have come out on Android otherwise because although the platforming is fairly basic, I don't think it'd be much fun on a touchscreen.

[quote name='supershammy']Get a PC. All kinds of weird stuff on PC. Then get an HDMI cable and plug it in to your TV. This is coming from the happy owner of a 360 and PS3, by the way.[/QUOTE]

Ouya=100$

PC= At least 500$ if you want a decent setup.

100$ is pretty good for a emulator/streaming/media center machine.

Can someone explain this thing to me? I mean is it going to be kind of like iPhone games where you pay 99 cents for a game? Also is it going to be tied to an account or console? Stupid questions I know.

The new Shadowgun game sold over a million copies on Google Play in less than two weeks since it's been out so don't be shocked to see shooters show up on Ouya too.

If anything, I expect Ouya to get more shooters than regular Android since developers will probably look at it as more of a console and less of a mobile device than most Android development seems to spur.

[quote name='Cocojames333']Can someone explain this thing to me? I mean is it going to be kind of like iPhone games where you pay 99 cents for a game? Also is it going to be tied to an account or console? Stupid questions I know.[/QUOTE]

The quick and dirty explanation: Take an iPad, remove the screen, hook it up to the TV, add a bluetooth controller, and price it at $100. That's essentially what this is. Only instead of buying stuff through iTunes, you buy stuff through the Ouya store, and instead of running off iOS, it runs off Android. Expect content to be tied to an account. Games that are strictly ports from the standard Android system will likely be in the normal mobile price range, but there's not much stopping someone from charging $20 an app....or more through in-app purchases.

To get a little more technical, there'll be other differences...i believe Ouya allows apps to use more ram since it isn't a multi-tasking device, and it's designed to be "hacker-friendly", but that's not information you'll really need.

[quote name='Salamando3000']The quick and dirty explanation: Take an iPad, remove the screen, hook it up to the TV, add a bluetooth controller, and price it at $100. That's essentially what this is. Only instead of buying stuff through iTunes, you buy stuff through the Ouya store, and instead of running off iOS, it runs off Android. Expect content to be tied to an account. Games that are strictly ports from the standard Android system will likely be in the normal mobile price range, but there's not much stopping someone from charging $20 an app....or more through in-app purchases.

To get a little more technical, there'll be other differences...i believe Ouya allows apps to use more ram since it isn't a multi-tasking device, and it's designed to be "hacker-friendly", but that's not information you'll really need.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for that :)

[quote name='louiedog']For those worrying it's just going to be a bunch of phone games, be aware that Double Fine is going to bring The Cave and their kickstarted adventure game to Ouya. The adventure game was already coming to Android, but The Cave (regardless of its faults) is interesting because I don't know that it would have come out on Android otherwise because although the platforming is fairly basic, I don't think it'd be much fun on a touchscreen.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how that would be a selling point to anyone. Both The Cave and the Kickstarter game are planned to be released on multiple platforms and The Cave can already be purchased on XBL and PSN, as well as PC, Mac, Linux and WiiU. It seems like anyone buying an Ouya will already have at least one of those platforms already and by the time Ouya hits retail, The Cave will already be months old. It really seems like too little too late.

Any idea on the black color shown as opposed to the silver on Kickstarter, anyone? Very curious here!

[quote name='BernardoOne']Ouya=100$

PC= At least 500$ if you want a decent setup.

100$ is pretty good for a emulator/streaming/media center machine.[/QUOTE]

Oh, well totally. It's not an either/or situation. However, the Ouya is not of the same hardware caliber of a typical home console, which is roughly the same price range as a mid-range PC. The Ouya is more of a lateral step into another category of product than major consoles, regardless of it being considered a 'console' by some. Ouya sounds cool, and I will probably get one because I love multipurpose but user-friendly stuff like this (I have two HTPCs running XBMC, one for each TV, along with my gaming PC) but the original poster was bemoaning the lack of strange and unique games on consoles. I don't know that the mobile market is really the place to look for content of that ilk, but I DO know that the PC platform definitely is.

June 2013

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._t=1401&pf_rd_p=1485183542&pf_rd_i=1001007241

Product Features
Includes: 1 OUYA wireless controller/Case: Sand-blasted Aluminum and Plastic
CPU: nVIDIA Tegra 3 Quad-Core / Memory: 1GB RAM
Dimensions: 75mm x 75mm x 82mm (2.9in x 2.9in x 3.2in) / Weight: 300g (10.5 oz)
Storage: 8GB Internal Flash Storage (expandable via USB Port) / USB: One USB 2.0 port, One Micro USB port
Connectivity: WiFi (802.11 b/g/n), Ethernet port, and Bluetooth / Output: HDMI (up to 1080p HD)

The one thing that bugs me about the Ouya is the limited internal storage. Like the Wii U it's depending on us plugging in a USB HDD, which increases the size of the whole thing dramatically in this case. The HDD will be larger than the console. I wish it had SD card slot instead. Maybe you can use a flash drive, but Nintendo discourages that, and I imagine they'll discourage that for the Ouya too, but I'm not sure.

[quote name='bojay1997']I don't see how that would be a selling point to anyone. Both The Cave and the Kickstarter game are planned to be released on multiple platforms and The Cave can already be purchased on XBL and PSN, as well as PC, Mac, Linux and WiiU. It seems like anyone buying an Ouya will already have at least one of those platforms already and by the time Ouya hits retail, The Cave will already be months old. It really seems like too little too late.[/QUOTE]

The point is that it's not just phone games. That's why I lead off the paragraph with those words. People were worried it was going to just be that. I provided info about a developer who makes console/PC games being on board with the platform. I never said The Cave would be a system seller.

[quote name='Ionotropic']Looks like new hardware every year. I have one on kickstarter pre-order, but now I'm like fuck!

Gizmodo

Engadget[/QUOTE]

Same here, I'm glad I'm just planning on using mine mainly for emulation and media center purposes. I can see developer support/new releases on it only working with the newer versions, basically forcing you to do a yearly upgrade if you want to play something new.

I thought one of the selling points of this was to avoid all the current fragmenting between all the different android devices. So much for that.

[quote name='louiedog']The point is that it's not just phone games. That's why I lead off the paragraph with those words. People were worried it was going to just be that. I provided info about a developer who makes console/PC games being on board with the platform. I never said The Cave would be a system seller.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but what I think that illustrates is that nobody of note is developing exclusively for the Ouya and there is no evidence that the Ouya versions will be superior in any way. I supported the Kickstarter, but I have to say that I am very disappointed in the seeming lack of software support or any other compelling reason to own one. Ultimately, I suspect most people will just use it for emulation which is fine, but it will kill any long-term success the platform could have.

[quote name='waldo21212']Same here, I'm glad I'm just planning on using mine mainly for emulation and media center purposes. I can see developer support/new releases on it only working with the newer versions, basically forcing you to do a yearly upgrade if you want to play something new.

I thought one of the selling points of this was to avoid all the current fragmenting between all the different android devices. So much for that.[/QUOTE]

Well the article says it will remain backwards compatible, but we'll see how that works, considering that Android hasn't always managed that (and people programming to the lowest common denominator as far as features go.)

We'll also have to see how well Ouya keeps up with new versions of Android in general. Many big companies have had difficult times keeping up.

The biggest problem with Ouya is the people at the company speaking for it. "Everything will be free*!!!!", "We're going to tell you that we have plans to hopefully make yours obsolete even though we're months away from shipping the first batch!", and then of course all that bullshit about how gamers are sick of the big companies and Ouya is going to treat you right by giving you REAL games.

*free means demos, IAP, etc.

Something like this, which is cheap and already does some cool things even before games made specifically for it are released, speaks to a large part of its intended crowd on its own. Just about everything the company says seems designed to push them away, but I don't see it bringing in anyone new.

Actually the part that I think kills it for me, is not that there will be yearly hardware updates, but that they will be using the Steam model and tie games to the user. If this means that only the purchaser can play the game (with achievements and such), well that's the ultimate deal killer right there. I have two kids. I'm not buying 3 unlocks so that they can play too. I will cancel my pre-order if that's how it's going to work. Hopefully it isn't, though.

[quote name='Ionotropic']Looks like new hardware every year. I have one on kickstarter pre-order, but now I'm like fuck!

Gizmodo

Engadget[/QUOTE]

I'm glad we have this information before the console actually releases. Cancelling my pre-order!

[quote name='crunchewy']The one thing that bugs me about the Ouya is the limited internal storage. Like the Wii U it's depending on us plugging in a USB HDD, which increases the size of the whole thing dramatically in this case. The HDD will be larger than the console. I wish it had SD card slot instead. Maybe you can use a flash drive, but Nintendo discourages that, and I imagine they'll discourage that for the Ouya too, but I'm not sure.[/QUOTE]

If they do allow flash drives, something like this could keep the footprint small:
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Flash-Drive-SDCZ33-032G-B35/dp/B00812F7O8

[quote name='crunchewy']Actually the part that I think kills it for me, is not that there will be yearly hardware updates, but that they will be using the Steam model and tie games to the user. If this means that only the purchaser can play the game (with achievements and such), well that's the ultimate deal killer right there. I have two kids. I'm not buying 3 unlocks so that they can play too. I will cancel my pre-order if that's how it's going to work. Hopefully it isn't, though.[/QUOTE]

Can't you just share with your kids and buy only one console??

Gizmodo

Engadget[/QUOTE]

I had a feeling they would do this, so glad i waited and didnt order. As much as they can say its going to be backwards compatible, its the game devs that decide that, and they wont code for 7 different hardware versions. This just absolutely killed it for me. I already buy a new phone every year, im not buying a new ouya.

Way to shoot yourselves in the foot guys, who thought it would be a good idea to say "theres going to be an updated one next year" before the original one even went on sale...stupidity en masse.

This thread is, straight up, exciting. I've gone through so many emotions reading it. If it accomplishs nothing else, the Ouya got people thinking.

[quote name='oasisboy']So what is the difference between Ouya and Steam Box?[/QUOTE]

Steam Box is a concept, and is not a product of any kind yet. Honestly though, if you know the name of the Steam Box, you can probably glean the potential differences on your own.

[quote name='Guerrilla']Hahaha, oh Ouya.

And is Steam Box a thing or BYOB (build your own box)?[/QUOTE]

Steam Box is nothing. Steam Box doesn't exist. It is a concept that has been discussed in public and nothing more. One day, it will exist, but for now there is no reason to compare it to other things because it has no concrete features at all.

New console version every year? That's good news to cheap people right? That means you just wait n years before buying the oldest version for fraction of the cost. I have so many games in my backlog I am still playing some NES titles for the first time!

Gizmodo

Engadget[/QUOTE]

Thought about buying one. But with this news i will just pass seems kinda silly to do that.

Wish they had a trade-in program, trade in your old Ouya and next year's model is half off. Even 30% off I might be able to swing. But this is discouraging news.

So wait, people will never buy an iphone because theres planned to be a new model in the foreseeable future? Seems to be a bit silly whining and canceling preorders on this.

[quote name='Deader2818']Can't really compare a cell phone to a gaming console.

But yes, having a new iPhone every year is also stupid.[/QUOTE]

Rofl, you most certainly can compare.

Nothing wrong with having a new iPhone every year. For somebody its always going to be their "first one".

[quote name='Datajack']Rofl, you most certainly can compare.

Nothing wrong with having a new iPhone every year. For somebody its always going to be their "first one".[/QUOTE]

Not really, the phone is still going to be usable as a phone. The old ouya will have development dropped weeks/months after a new model comes out. No one will bother to develop for different hardware models plus android plus ios. It we VERY stupid to comment on this before your first console makes it to market, talk about counting your chickens before they hatch...

Also, phones vs ouya dont compare well.

bread's done
Back