Ouya - Console Preorder Thread

blinknot4

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
For those that are interested, the Ouya is now available for preorder for those of us (myself included) that did not get in on the Kickstarter. Hopefully this thing is turns out to be pretty cool...

The console is $99.99. Each extra controller is $49.99. Ships this spring/summer.

Amazon:
Console
Extra Controller

Best Buy:
Console
Extra Controller

Target:
Console

Gamestop:
Console
Extra Controller

Direct from the Ouya website*:
Console
Extra Controller
*Thanks to KillerRamen for the links!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Reraise']Not really, the phone is still going to be usable as a phone. The old ouya will have development dropped weeks/months after a new model comes out. No one will bother to develop for different hardware models plus android plus ios. It we VERY stupid to comment on this before your first console makes it to market, talk about counting your chickens before they hatch...

Also, phones vs ouya dont compare well.[/QUOTE]

Most people developing for OUYA are simultaneously targeting Android phones which means they're (for the most part) already targeting devices that are 2-3 years old. The first iteration of OUYA will likely be supported for at least two or three years, just like iOS hardware.

I say this as someone who already has an OUYA dev kit and is working on a launch title for it. Devs want the most people possible to play and buy their games - writing off the first iteration of OUYA a week after the next comes out would be silly; especially since devs can enable/disable graphical effects on the fly based on the hardware.

[quote name='Reraise']Not really, the phone is still going to be usable as a phone. The old ouya will have development dropped weeks/months after a new model comes out. No one will bother to develop for different hardware models plus android plus ios. It we VERY stupid to comment on this before your first console makes it to market, talk about counting your chickens before they hatch...

Also, phones vs ouya dont compare well.[/QUOTE]

Behind Internet, Socia Media, Music and Games, making phone calls is the least used activity. So yes, phones and ouya do compare quite well. Hell can even throw in general game consoles in as well.

[quote name='oasisboy']Can't you just share with your kids and buy only one console??[/QUOTE]

If it's like steam, you can, but only if you share the account. You don't have your own achievements, friends lists and such. It sucks. I hope the OUYA is not going to be like that, but they mention using a Steam-like model.

[quote name='Ionotropic']Looks like new hardware every year. I have one on kickstarter pre-order, but now I'm like fuck!

Gizmodo

Engadget[/QUOTE]

Well, that makes my decision easy. I'll probably buy next year's model with a Tegra 4 chip.

[quote name='Datajack']So wait, people will never buy an iphone because theres planned to be a new model in the foreseeable future? Seems to be a bit silly whining and canceling preorders on this.[/QUOTE]

I WISH more people would take that stance with phones and other devices (mainly Apple's)...

[quote name='JKSonic']I WISH more people would take that stance with phones and other devices (mainly Apple's)...[/QUOTE]

You'll be thrilled to know I'm still rocking an iPhone 4. ;)

I am not against this idea but it makes me want to wait instead of pre-order. As long as they sell the units by themselves with no controller I could see upgrading for $50 but not $100 every year with a new controller.

[quote name='Doomstink']Most people developing for OUYA are simultaneously targeting Android phones which means they're (for the most part) already targeting devices that are 2-3 years old. The first iteration of OUYA will likely be supported for at least two or three years, just like iOS hardware.

I say this as someone who already has an OUYA dev kit and is working on a launch title for it. Devs want the most people possible to play and buy their games - writing off the first iteration of OUYA a week after the next comes out would be silly; especially since devs can enable/disable graphical effects on the fly based on the hardware.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but if they are annually upgrading, you will get a new dev kit every what, 6 months?.

No dev team is going to keep up trying to support old hardware when new stuff is landing on their doorstep every 6-9 months. Its just not cost effective to waste time coding. They will probably focus on the last 2 generations, which gives the launch ouya MAYBE a year before its on the back burner, this gives them 2 consoles and a 3rd dev kit out to devs. If technology is advancing so fast that it needs a new console each year, i wouldnt be happy playing 60% of a port, knowing it would be better on new hardware.

Im already buying an new phone every year, im NOT buying a new ouya. I was interested in this simply because it wasnt going the way of yearly hardware updates. Now i know it is, ill stick to my phone with hdmi out and a bluetooth controller if need be.

[quote name='crunchewy']I'll probably still keep my pre-order. It isn't a lot of money and should be fun to mess around with at the very least.[/QUOTE]

Aye, I really don't see much wrong with the current model for the price. It's still a nice value for a HTPC/Emulator station.

[quote name='Deader2818']There would be a huge revolt if Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft started to release a new console every year.[/QUOTE]

Don't they kinda do that, through sustaining engineering? examples: PS3/x360 launch to smaller HDDs, slim, super slim. X360 chip change, etc.. Plus internals slightly change do too supplier availability etc...

I don't think a new system each year for a relativity inexpensive is a huge deal.

[quote name='Deader2818']There would be a huge revolt if Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft started to release a new console every year.[/QUOTE]

There wouldn't be, because there couldn't be, as Microsoft and Sony sell as loss leader.

[quote name='narmstrong79']Don't they kinda do that, through sustaining engineering? examples: PS3/x360 launch to smaller HDDs, slim, super slim. X360 chip change, etc.. Plus internals slightly change do too supplier availability etc...

I don't think a new system each year for a relativity inexpensive is a huge deal.[/QUOTE]

Nope not really a "new" console, PS3/x360 manufacturing steps are different than a yearly hardware release that Ouya is taking. Each release of PS3 (Fatty, Slim, Super Slim) still had the same hardware base line (except for removal of the side system for P2 emu). Graphics power, cpu and ram all stayed the same. Just cost cheaper and smaller to manufacture over the now 7+ old aging gear.

[quote name='Deader2818']Explain how that means people wouldn't revolt?[/QUOTE]

People wouldn't revolt because MS/Sony wouldn't be able to sustain a loss leader product year after year, hence the product would never be made for people to revolt about.

And since their money is made via software sales....which the vast majority being large AA or AAA titles that require large teams over multiple years... they wouldn't have a product to sell since the publishers wouldn't be able to catch up on a yearly cycle.

Duke nukem comes to mind....

And for a phone comparison... Apples handsets aren't a loss leader. Iphone 5 as case example, only $167 manufacturing cost. $199 for base model retail plus kick backs from telecoms contracts = easy yearly cycle (long as they make each one a bigger better thing!)

[quote name='boylover']MSRP, not a deal, doesn't even have compelling games.[/QUOTE]

Booya

[quote name='boylover']MSRP, not a deal, doesn't even have compelling games.[/QUOTE]

Technically neither does Wii U but it has a post. :roll:

But yeah...already a thread made.

[quote name='Reraise']Yes, but if they are annually upgrading, you will get a new dev kit every what, 6 months?.

No dev team is going to keep up trying to support old hardware when new stuff is landing on their doorstep every 6-9 months. Its just not cost effective to waste time coding. They will probably focus on the last 2 generations, which gives the launch ouya MAYBE a year before its on the back burner, this gives them 2 consoles and a 3rd dev kit out to devs. If technology is advancing so fast that it needs a new console each year, i wouldnt be happy playing 60% of a port, knowing it would be better on new hardware.

Im already buying an new phone every year, im NOT buying a new ouya. I was interested in this simply because it wasnt going the way of yearly hardware updates. Now i know it is, ill stick to my phone with hdmi out and a bluetooth controller if need be.[/QUOTE]

We still develop for iPhone 3GS despite countless upgrades - OUYA will be no different. Since the console is Android based and always will be, it doesn't take a phenomenal amount of work to support older models. We're not talking about a PS2 -> PS3 situation here. It'll be like iPhone 4 to iPhone 4s. Big whoop. Smart devs will strive to run on all iterations as long as possible.

[quote name='crunchewy']You'll be thrilled to know I'm still rocking an iPhone 4. ;)[/QUOTE]

I would be as well if the charge port hasn't stopped working and my phone wouldn't reliably charge. I miss unlimited Internet, even if it was 3G.

[quote name='Doomstink']We still develop for iPhone 3GS despite countless upgrades - OUYA will be no different. Since the console is Android based and always will be, it doesn't take a phenomenal amount of work to support older models. We're not talking about a PS2 -> PS3 situation here. It'll be like iPhone 4 to iPhone 4s. Big whoop. Smart devs will strive to run on all iterations as long as possible.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I wonder if 3GS will have a 2nd life now that GS has partnered w/Net 10 to sell their unlimited access cards on AT&T network SIM cards & sell through GS's ample supply of 3GS refurbished phones.

$99, not a bad price. I don't have very high hopes for this thing, but I'll keep an eye on it. And if it does well enough, then I'll look into getting myself an Nvidia Shield. It'll be interesting to see, to say the least.

[quote name='Datajack']Nope not really a "new" console, PS3/x360 manufacturing steps are different than a yearly hardware release that Ouya is taking. Each release of PS3 (Fatty, Slim, Super Slim) still had the same hardware base line (except for removal of the side system for P2 emu). Graphics power, cpu and ram all stayed the same. Just cost cheaper and smaller to manufacture over the now 7+ old aging gear.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they can truly launch a new system every year and make the previous one obsolete, I think it would more along the lines of what Sony/MS have done, except they may enhance the specs a touch the previous one,two,three will still be supported (software/games). Its Android based, Phones/tablets (which by the way cost a crap load more) are released every 3-6 months due microelectronics manufacturing process, yet the previous model is still supported, at some point, usually 2 generations, they stop receive OS updates, but many of the games and apps still work.

I don't think i'd personally buy a OUYA but i dig the concept

[quote name='gatordeve86']Cancelled my preorder.. figure if they are making them yearly I can just wait for it to drop in price[/QUOTE]

Making them yearly is a disaster in my opinion. Developers are going to have to test their games on every version of the console. Also if you buy the first console all the games that come out 1 year later may not be compatible.

People are so concerned about them being backwards compatible, I'd be MUCH more concerned with being forward compatible. How long do you think you'll be able to play NEW games on your first-gen console? Depending when you get a tablet or a phone in the launch cycle of games/new chips sometimes it's not very long before you can't play newer games on those devices even (at least without a terrible framerate anyway). With the Ouya there will presumably be more games pushing the hardware as far as it can go soon...

One thing is that it's only a $100, and that's with a controller. If they do offer an upgrade console for less than $100, I don't think I'd have much problem with upgrading at least every couple years. But, yeah, they need to provide that controller-less option. Compare that to the prices people paid for a new PS3 when they came out. They paid for many years of Ouya upgrades in 1 purchase.

[quote name='Doomstink']We still develop for iPhone 3GS despite countless upgrades - OUYA will be no different. Since the console is Android based and always will be, it doesn't take a phenomenal amount of work to support older models. We're not talking about a PS2 -> PS3 situation here. It'll be like iPhone 4 to iPhone 4s. Big whoop. Smart devs will strive to run on all iterations as long as possible.[/QUOTE]

Then your team is definitely in the minority, as most wont develop for the 3g/3gs anymore.

What I'm wondering, and someone let me know if its been addressed, but will you a root method to play games you already own through google play soon After release? It'll stink if you open the box and cant start playing the games you own on GP anytime soon

Yeah, I'm going to hang onto my preorder, as well. The whole yearly edition is a bit worrisome to me, but I could imagine upgrading every two or three years. Of course, given that the updates are substantial and still affordable.

[quote name='6er']What I'm wondering, and someone let me know if its been addressed, but will you a root method to play games you already own through google play soon After release? It'll stink if you open the box and cant start playing the games you own on GP anytime soon[/QUOTE]

I think they said if you root it it will disable the ouya store.

The price point of $99 is a great one. I am sure this will be great for some, but not interested in the least for myself. I have a feeling if it does not take off it will get discounted quickly.

Releasing a new Ouya every year is not much different from computer gamers upgrading their PC's every so often. Sure,the newest games might require a setting that turns down certain graphical features but games still run. There are people playing current PC titles on 3 yr old dual core systems with lower settings. It I was playing Temple Run 2 on my HTC Thunderbolt (1ghz single core phone, 768mb Ram). Its a far cry from the Galaxy S3, but it played the game very smoothly on medium settings. I have no fear of buying a $100 Ouya knowing it will last me two years or so as a" current" system.

Not to mention as a multimedia machine and one of those things that plays old games ;-)

[quote name='z3razerviper']I think they said if you root it it will disable the ouya store.[/QUOTE]
That is the reason I wont get it unless it becomes the next xbox (original). WHere it gets enough titles you are missing out if you dont own it.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Thanks but no thanks OP........ I might pick one up out of the clearence bin for $20 6 months post-launch though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, good luck with that.

[quote name='narmstrong79']I don't think they can truly launch a new system every year and make the previous one obsolete, I think it would more along the lines of what Sony/MS have done, except they may enhance the specs a touch the previous one,two,three will still be supported (software/games). Its Android based, Phones/tablets (which by the way cost a crap load more) are released every 3-6 months due microelectronics manufacturing process, yet the previous model is still supported, at some point, usually 2 generations, they stop receive OS updates, but many of the games and apps still work.

I don't think i'd personally buy a OUYA but i dig the concept[/QUOTE]

As much as Ouya is a tablet/phone, it also isn't. From what I've read, Ouya isn't set up to be a multi-tasking device...certainly not while you're playing games. The implication of that is Ouya allows developers to use more of the hardware than if it was just a phone or tablet.

This means games developed for Ouya (and not just simple ports) will be able to get better performance out of similar hardware...it also means previous models are less likely to be automatically supported...unless developers don't make full use of the new model's specs, but then why would people buy the new model.

I personally don't think that this needing to "take off" as a game console is of any real relevance to its price. High-end, well-engineered Android devices don't really drop significantly in price, even when they are superseded by new versions of themselves. I would guess this is mostly because their stability and construction are their biggest selling factors when comparing to other Android devices, of which there are sooooo many. The same goes for HTPC-specific prefab nettops, like the Revo 3700, Apple TV 2nd gen, or the Apple Mini. The Ouya looks to be no different in this way - its potential, combined with its solid construction and well-engineered tech, says to me that it will not drop significantly in price if it doesn't succeed as a console.

[quote name='z3razerviper']I think they said if you root it it will disable the ouya store.[/QUOTE]

If I can return it to.stock OS at will that won't be an issue. Play your 99c sale GP games, and then go back to Ouya games when you beat them....and back and forth..... Hopefully

Isn't $100 cheaper than $400? I need confirmation on this.

I have to be honest...I'm still not really even sure the point of this thing. There's supposed to be tons of ports of mobile games already out plus tons of exclusives. But exactly what kind of "exclusives" would they be bringing over? Shoot I can't even think of many ports that I'd want to play on my big screen.

EDIT: Guess I shouldn't say "ports" really since they're already running on android...

I bought into the Kickstatrter on this early on and now I'm regretting it.

They sold it as an "open" console and only later told us about the Ouya store exclusivity. There's no way in hell I'm re-buying my android quality games just to play on my TV. It's what I hate about the Kindle Fire - being cockblocked to all the good, available software in the Google Play store.

I also read a rumor on Lifehacker that they plan to "update" the hardware on an annual basis, leaving original Ouya owners behind if they don't want to shell out $100 every year for new hardware. I understand that technology changes so rapidly that something is outdated by the time it's released, but every two years would be a much better plan. Who is going to develop console quality games for this thing if the hardware specs change by the time you release your game? Dividing your user base every year can't be music to the ears of major developers either. Sounds to me like they're shooting themselves in the foot with this.

These two major things make me feel like I got PR swindled by Julie Uhrman. Shame on me, I guess.

[quote name='bmulligan']I bought into the Kickstatrter on this early on and now I'm regretting it.

They sold it as an "open" console and only later told us about the Ouya store exclusivity. There's no way in hell I'm re-buying my android quality games just to play on my TV. It's what I hate about the Kindle Fire - being cockblocked to all the good, available software in the Google Play store.

I also read a rumor on Lifehacker that they plan to "update" the hardware on an annual basis, leaving original Ouya owners behind if they don't want to shell out $100 every year for new hardware. I understand that technology changes so rapidly that something is outdated by the time it's released, but every two years would be a much better plan. Who is going to develop console quality games for this thing if the hardware specs change by the time you release your game? Dividing your user base every year can't be music to the ears of major developers either. Sounds to me like they're shooting themselves in the foot with this.

These two major things make me feel like I got PR swindled by Julie Uhrman. Shame on me, I guess.[/QUOTE]

I was about to buy into this on Kickstarter but thankfully I decided to think about it and wound up changing my mind. If it winds up being really successful, I can always buy one at a later date. I have learned my lesson many times over in regards to being an early adopter. I still have my HD-DVD player with 100+ movies, lol. Again, if it wind up being a great system, I can always buy into it at a later date.

That said, this wasnt designed to create console quality games. The kind of games you will see released will be more akin to the kinds of games that get released on Xbox Live. Since those kinds of games are far less demanding, the changing specs shouldnt effect development much at all.

bread's done
Back