Ouya - Console Preorder Thread

blinknot4

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
For those that are interested, the Ouya is now available for preorder for those of us (myself included) that did not get in on the Kickstarter. Hopefully this thing is turns out to be pretty cool...

The console is $99.99. Each extra controller is $49.99. Ships this spring/summer.

Amazon:
Console
Extra Controller

Best Buy:
Console
Extra Controller

Target:
Console

Gamestop:
Console
Extra Controller

Direct from the Ouya website*:
Console
Extra Controller
*Thanks to KillerRamen for the links!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='alwayscheaper']Thanks for the msrp preorder. Let us know when the ps4 is announced or hell just any game for preorder so we can get in on sweet sweet msrp.[/QUOTE]

i love these people who bitch about msrp deals and then bitch when scalpers are charging hundreds of dollars just for a ticket to buy a system(ie wii u) all because they didnt get in on the deal in the first place

[quote name='ProppaT']OUYA is working with XBMC and Plex, so I would expect pretty good support. I mean, XBMC even stated on their blog that they were working with OUYA to ensure it works well, so I would expect a good product with continued support. I.e., you're not using the Android Market version of XBMC, you're using one customed for OUYA.[/QUOTE]

If that works out, don't get me wrong that would be great, as the price is right, but I'll take the wait and see approach on that. I'm in the market for an htpc so maybe I'm just tired of waiting for the magical low price point android xbmc device. I'm currently using a WD TV Live which has been great but I dont' want to have to download my own cover art etc. anymore and it would be nice to have some added features (games etc.).

[quote name='louiedog']As someone who owns a HTPC (a big part of why I'm not interested in one of these in its current state) I can see the use case for both. If you want a HTPC that's always on yet dead silent for the living room you're going to spend a lot more than $100. Even the small, quiet Atom based machines are twice as much as this, and they won't do a whole lot of Steam gaming. I think they're very pretty different products.[/QUOTE]

Yeah this is actually the issues I'm having right now, can't decide if I want small and quiet (zbox nano, intel nuc) or to build my own that can handle my STEAM games. It would be nice to have STEAM but I'm leaning towards the lower power consumption quieter device. It's rough I almost feel as if there is no middle ground. I'm guessing a nuc or nano could handle something like Portal but probably have to dumb down the resolution a lot which at that point defeats the purpose.

As for the android\ouya side of gaming. A game like Shadowgun or Sonic CD is nice but it seems as those games are far and few between. Then you have a game like Horn...beautiful but meant for a touchscreen. So it's kind of like is this going to work out? Maybe with competitors also coming to the market (Gamestick)
developers will see the value in making games but I feel as if it's yet to be seen.

I think this has potential, but the controllers are half the cost of the system? That won't fly no matter how good it is.

I backed this very early on via Kickstarter. So glad I did, because we get the system next month.

It's so great that the console is showing up in the big stores. Can't wait to see where the Ouya goes!

[quote name='mbrown3']I think this has potential, but the controllers are half the cost of the system? That won't fly no matter how good it is.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. Makes me wish I had grabbed an extra controller from the Kickstarter. I'm assuming its Bluetooth, who knows maybe someone will make a PS3/Wii controller driver for it.

Watched the kick starter take off but I was dubious about this device's future. The big problem is that, at a time when gaming devices are greatly multiplying, the Ouya is using lower-end hardware that just isn't going to age well (Tegra 3 came out over a year ago, not a bad chip but Tegra 4 is due out soon). I just don't see the longevity for this device, based on the specs.

[quote name='MetalSlugger']So if I preorder online from BB they'll keep authorizing my card for the whole amount until it ships, right?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately they do it a different way. They put a hold for the amount at random times. So you can potentially spend that money and lose your reserve if a pending goes thru and you have insufficient funds.

So if you do it thru BB make sure you always have enough in the account to cover the complete cost at all times.

I supported the kickstarter. kinda felt I should have gotten the extra controller.

looking at this, I probably should have preordered from Amazon instead.. I have to pay an extra $20 for international shipping at Kickstarter... I suppose Amazon would have been much cheaper

Backed them during the kickstarter and I can't personally wait for it :bouncy:. It has so much potential besides gaming so looking forward to it.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Watched the kick starter take off but I was dubious about this device's future. The big problem is that, at a time when gaming devices are greatly multiplying, the Ouya is using lower-end hardware that just isn't going to age well (Tegra 3 came out over a year ago, not a bad chip but Tegra 4 is due out soon). I just don't see the longevity for this device, based on the specs.[/QUOTE]

I forsee the OUYA being more of a console for 2D gaming and simpler 3D games. After all, this is a console for indie developers to develop for, not EA. I don't think we're going to have to worry about the horsepower so much.

[quote name='jkam']why where my posts deleted?[/QUOTE]

The mods apparently don't want us discussing the Ouya as a media device, even if those comments are accompanied by opinions and information on this as a game machine. Best to drop it because they'll just come through and delete these as well.

[quote name='louiedog']The mods apparently don't want us discussing the Ouya as a media device, even if those comments are accompanied by opinions and information on this as a game machine. Best to drop it because they'll just come through and delete these as well.[/QUOTE]

Kind of odd since a PS3, a 360, etc. are all media devices. They can delete what they want, just odd. Oh well.

[quote name='seanw']Here's Ben Heck dismantling one, for those who are questioning its cheapness. He has some interesting things to say about the controller:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hh3Ezg9xf0[/QUOTE]

Great video - thanks for posting. The fact that the controllers are confirmed regular bluetooth is awesome since they can be used with so much more than just the Ouya itself.

One possibility is that this just ends up being phone games on an TV, and that would suck, but the other is that developers view it as it's own thing and make games specifically for OUYA. Hopefully it goes the latter route. It is somewhat at risk of going the former route (especially if all people do is root it and make it a straight up Android device), but I think Indie game developers will embrace it, and that should be exciting.

Saw a gameplay video of this thing playing NFS:MW on YouTube. Hopefully that atrocious frame rate came from a horrendous download and not this console.

[quote name='jkam']why where my posts deleted?[/QUOTE]

Was wondering the same thing. I didn't see a problem...the device was DESIGNED to be open for us and to do what we want. By not discussing it we are missing a major point of the system. :roll: Oh well I guess...

I'm getting one through Kickstarter. After I pledged some money to it, I had second thoughts. I thought I cancelled my pledge, but found out later I did it wrong.

I have a feeling I won't be using it very much.

I want one, but i cannot justify it. I have a Galaxy Note 2, which is way more powerful than this. I can just plug my phone into the TV and play games that way.

No matter how i try to sell this to myself, it comes up short.

[quote name='Reraise']I want one, but i cannot justify it. I have a Galaxy Note 2, which is way more powerful than this. I can just plug my phone into the TV and play games that way.

No matter how i try to sell this to myself, it comes up short.[/QUOTE]

I bought it because it's imo a piece of gaming history. Also I just love how we can make the system anything we want! It's so small and convenient; perfect for when I travel. It's a small dedicated gaming device that I can bring anywhere and just hook up to the TV

[quote name='Reraise']I want one, but i cannot justify it. I have a Galaxy Note 2, which is way more powerful than this. I can just plug my phone into the TV and play games that way.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying your Note isn't faster, but if it is it's by a much thinner margin than you think. It isn't your run of the mill Tegra 3, it's a T33 (which is the top of the line Tegra 3) and Nvidia worked with OUYA to tweak it out. By the looks of the heatsink, it looks like they probably overclocked the sucker way past what you could get away with in a tablet. The T33 and the Exynos 4412 processors do similar in benchmarks to begin with. Take a look at Penny Arcade's write up, they seem to think it's more than sufficient and floats around the top of the Android device heap as far as performance goes.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/...a-tech-specs-this-is-androids-home-console-fr

[quote name='ProppaT']I'm not saying your Note isn't faster, but if it is it's by a much thinner margin than you think. It isn't your run of the mill Tegra 3, it's a T33 (which is the top of the line Tegra 3) and Nvidia worked with OUYA to tweak it out. By the looks of the heatsink, it looks like they probably overclocked the sucker way past what you could get away with in a tablet. The T33 and the Exynos 4412 processors do similar in benchmarks to begin with. Take a look at Penny Arcade's write up, they seem to think it's more than sufficient and floats around the top of the Android device heap as far as performance goes.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/...a-tech-specs-this-is-androids-home-console-fr[/QUOTE]

I'm sure that's all true, but unless this thing sells really well, will developers take advantage of it and/or require it? They sold about 60,000 through kickstarter and will continue to sell more of course, but the people making games may not want to cut out the tens of millions of Note 2, GS3, etc. owners out there. My phone isn't the highest end device, but it averaged 53 fps on the Epic Citadel demo. I think people would be happy with that level of quality and it opens up the audience that devs can sell their game to beyond Ouya owners.

[quote name='RedFoxCommando']I backed this on Kickstarter, I wonder if we'll be getting these in March? Any other backers have any idea?[/QUOTE]

From Joystiq:
Speaking to the Wall Street Journal, Ouya CEO Julie Uhrman said Kickstarter backers get their orders delivered in March, pre-order deliveries go out in April, and June sees the official launch. When asked about other console launches coming this year, Uhrman said the aim is for Ouya to find its own place in the market, and not to outdo the likes of Microsoft and Sony.

[quote name='louiedog']I'm sure that's all true, but unless this thing sells really well, will developers take advantage of it and/or require it? They sold about 60,000 through kickstarter and will continue to sell more of course, but the people making games may not want to cut out the tens of millions of Note 2, GS3, etc. owners out there. My phone isn't the highest end device, but it averaged 53 fps on the Epic Citadel demo. I think people would be happy with that level of quality and it opens up the audience that devs can sell their game to beyond Ouya owners.[/QUOTE]

If someone takes advantage of it, I guess that's cool. I don't even care about that. I want more games like FEZ, Super Meat Boy, Castle Crashers, The Binding of Issac, Dust, Spelunky, etc. You know, games that are super fun but don't really require all that much horsepower. Games that a team of a few devs could actually create without breaking the bank.

This isn't meant to go up against Xbox/Playstation games and pull in AAA titles. You're probably never going to get a lot of FPS if that's your thing. What you're going to get are simpler games designed by indie devs. As someone who uses their Xbox more for the XBLA games than retail games, this is exciting for me.

[quote name='louiedog']I'm sure that's all true, but unless this thing sells really well, will developers take advantage of it and/or require it? They sold about 60,000 through kickstarter and will continue to sell more of course, but the people making games may not want to cut out the tens of millions of Note 2, GS3, etc. owners out there. My phone isn't the highest end device, but it averaged 53 fps on the Epic Citadel demo. I think people would be happy with that level of quality and it opens up the audience that devs can sell their game to beyond Ouya owners.[/QUOTE]

Yep, the software issue is the biggest problem. Developers have only had their dev kits for about a month. Stock Android games won't work with the controller, so someone has to modify whatever existing games are out there individually for use with the Ouya. Even assuming this thing sells several hundred thousand units at retail, that leaves a very tiny Ouya specific audience out there and I doubt any major developers are going to go out of their way making enhanced Ouya versions of popular titles.

Made in China?

IMO this thing is gonna fade in and out like it did when the kick starter started and everyone was coming to fruition in their pants and then finished and nobody talked about it.

I'm really skeptical about this.

Does anyone have a good review or argument for what the "gamer" gets out of this console? The way I see it is that the Ouya is a console built to play mobile games and lower requirement games found on steam. If the average gamer already has a console or pc or phone to access these sort of games, then what is the novelty of the Ouya?

Or maybe I'm totally wrong? I don't really know how powerful the processor and video card are, hopefully it can at least run N64 or PS1 quality games smoothly?

I'd have a lot easier time biting if the price wasn't $100

My hope is that they put out a full fledged Minecraft server for it. That alone would make it worth it. :) But I don't know if Mojang has any plans for anything like that.

It looks like a good Emulator machine, with a good community on it, we could see some nice and obscure emulators on it

From nes, snes, n64 to Dreamcast, neogeo, pcfx and more, plus xbmc and other goodies, it may turn out interesting.

:)

[quote name='bojay1997']Yep, the software issue is the biggest problem. Developers have only had their dev kits for about a month. Stock Android games won't work with the controller, so someone has to modify whatever existing games are out there individually for use with the Ouya. Even assuming this thing sells several hundred thousand units at retail, that leaves a very tiny Ouya specific audience out there and I doubt any major developers are going to go out of their way making enhanced Ouya versions of popular titles.[/QUOTE]

There are developers that update games for Xperia Play, so I am sure Ouya will get support.

personally i do not like this system. i imagine it would be great for emulation but other than that it seems useless

Anyone knows the place to preorder with the cheapest international shipping?

Anybody who wants a cheap media center and emulator( it runs N64 and PS1 smoothly, btw), this is perfect.

[quote name='62t']There are developers that update games for Xperia Play, so I am sure Ouya will get support.[/QUOTE]

Yes but not every game does get Xperia Play support. And then you're adding something else into the mix now. And then there's the Onlive proprietary controller and the MOBA proprietary controller and it all starts to get a bit silly.

There's no need for it. The OS has controller support built in now. Eventually everyone is going to need to get the hell over this proprietary fragmenting nonsense and just try to get on the same page.

The controller sells at the same MSRP price of a xbox 360 controller and PS3 controller. The extra $20 is probably something the retailer takes in since they are not going to stock this thing for free. The controller looks decent to me, touch input (PS4 controller?) and aluminum faceplate.

The CEO of ouya has also confirmed this controller will work with other devices.
Curiously, developers will be able to use the controllers for other things, like Apple TVs. When asked about this Uhrman responded, "We are okay with that. One of the promises of being open is you can use what we build for other things. But you can create accessories and peripherals for our device as well. At the end of the day, it makes our ecosystem richer."

[quote name='ZeroUnderOne']Does anyone have a good review or argument for what the "gamer" gets out of this console? The way I see it is that the Ouya is a console built to play mobile games and lower requirement games found on steam. If the average gamer already has a console or pc or phone to access these sort of games, then what is the novelty of the Ouya?[/QUOTE]

Yes, please tell us what we get for our $100.

My computer has a second HDMI cord connected to my HDTV. I play Steam games on my couch, can play emulated Gamecube/Wii/PS1/PS2 games from my couch, I can watch mkv files from my couch...

Any reason why I should want this? I don't have an Android device (I have an Iphone with but a few games) - so is that a potential benefit? Are Android-only games enough of a reason to get this?

Not trying to sound skeptical or harsh, etc - I just really have no idea and would love some opinions. :whistle2:k
(I happily funded it via KickStarter, by the way. Just wondering what I'm getting.)

[quote name='Bizzquik']Yes, please tell us what we get for our $100.

My computer has a second HDMI cord connected to my HDTV. I play Steam games on my couch, can play emulated Gamecube/Wii/PS1/PS2 games from my couch, I can watch mkv files from my couch...

Any reason why I should want this? I don't have an Android device (I have an Iphone with but a few games) - so is that a potential benefit? Are Android-only games enough of a reason to get this?

Not trying to sound skeptical or harsh, etc - I just really have no idea and would love some opinions. :whistle2:k
(I happily funded it via KickStarter, by the way. Just wondering what I'm getting.)[/QUOTE]

I view it as an indie console. It's going to have lots of indie games on it that don't exactly have the highest system requirements and presumably classic games. It's hackable, so you're going to be able to do emulation or whatever else you want. It also can be used as a SDK, so if you're interested in making a game for a console you can do that too.

I suspect it will be possible for indie developers to do humble indie bundle type things that they do for Steam and Android based on my understanding of their business model. If they are able to have Steamlike sales, I think they'll be fine. It will also support Onlive if that's your thing too.

It should also be able to do anything that a Roku does and since it's compatible with Bluetooth devices, it should be able to even use the Roku remote if you want. I suspect there should be other cheap remotes available.

I see this thing as having quite a bit of potential, but it's questionable on how it's all going to turn out. For $100 I think it's well worth the risk.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I view it as an indie console. It's going to have lots of indie games on it that don't exactly have the highest system requirements and presumably classic games. It's hackable, so you're going to be able to do emulation or whatever else you want.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply.

bread's done
Back