Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:57 PM

Amazon Fire TV - $99 http://www.amazon.co...duct/B00CX5P8FC

Game Controller - $39.99 http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B00DU0ZI8Q

#2 bzchanboy

bzchanboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:17 PM

Bought the Fire TV for the hell of it. The controller I'll wait on cause I think you should be able to use a PS3/4 controller with it since it's Android based obviously.

#3 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

25-Star General of the PSNOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

Screw PS4, I'm just gonna buy 4 of these!

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (9/25/14): Don't Tell Me What to Do, Pharm!

#4 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

I don't personally have a need for it but I could see it being a big seller for Amazon.

Xecutioner
CML

#5 Lubu

Lubu

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:25 PM

How limited will this set become if you don't have amazon prime? Its going up to $100 a year, and I'm not sure I want to continue it when it does.

#6 redreflect

redreflect

I am the Wolf

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

How limited will this set become if you don't have amazon prime? Its going up to $100 a year, and I'm not sure I want to continue it when it does.

I was wondering the same thing. I have a Netflix subscription already, I don't think I want to do prime as well...

There is no one true CAG. Some are more "gamer," some are more "cheap" and certainly some are far more "ass."

#7 whitereflection

whitereflection

Shake well before serving

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

Why couldn't they have released this before Prime went up? I'd guess that they tried to but just couldn't for whatever reason. They would have had more sales for this if they did.

#8 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

25-Star General of the PSNOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:33 PM

I don't see how Prime would limit this box at all, except for the obvious fact that you can't use Prime Instant Streaming on it.  Am I missing something?

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (9/25/14): Don't Tell Me What to Do, Pharm!

#9 dreamer131313

dreamer131313

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

This will also have a Netflix and hula plus app on it

#10 doubledown

doubledown

Funky Daddy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:42 PM

I want one, but I don't know why.  I already have a PS4/XBOX ONE, so I have the Amazon Prime app already.  The only benefit is I could play Android games on my TV....whoopee.  The Kids FREETIME could be interesting for my kids.

#11 breakfuss

breakfuss

Pam Oliver Sex Tape

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:45 PM

This will likely do well because it's tied to Amazon and its expansive ecosystem. The HBO GO omission is a big deal, though. As well as no mention of local playback/network share (guessing these won't be an option). I guess this is to usher in the folks who haven't previously been aware of roku, apple etc.

Currently Playing:

:ps4: Transistor

:wiiu: SOON...

Add Me:

Lastfm: breakfuss; 3DS: 1134-7633-5998

#12 NightCat

NightCat

Backtoad_Overload

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:47 PM

Why couldn't they have released this before Prime went up? I'd guess that they tried to but just couldn't for whatever reason. They would have had more sales for this if they did.

Bet why prime went up to pay to use non amazon content licenses... twc did same thing...

Backlog_Overload For Presadento cowabunga

#13 breakfuss

breakfuss

Pam Oliver Sex Tape

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

The only benefit is I could play Android games on my TV....whoopee.  The Kids FREETIME could be interesting for my kids.

Ohhhh, that is true. I completely overlooked that they're angling this as a mini-gaming device as well. Ehh, I'm a little skeptical since games typically run like shit on these set top devices. The specs on this are considerably better than anything we've seen, though.

Currently Playing:

:ps4: Transistor

:wiiu: SOON...

Add Me:

Lastfm: breakfuss; 3DS: 1134-7633-5998

#14 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

According to people on GAF the 360 controller works with this (wired).

Can you re-download your games you bought on the fire to this? This needs to be answered. 

I think the controller and system for $140 is a deal breaker for quite a few people. But It's still better then the Ouya.

#15 bzchanboy

bzchanboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

According to people on GAF the 360 controller works with this (wired).

Can you re-download your games you bought on the fire to this? This needs to be answered. 

I think the controller and system for $140 is a deal breaker for quite a few people. But It's still better then the Ouya.

I don't know if Fire TV has it's own app eco system seperate from the amazon app eco system. I'll let you know tomorrow.

#16 roomtemperature

roomtemperature

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:00 PM

I got enough things that let me use Netflix in my house and do I really need Android games when I have a ton of games to play on regular systems? No I don't.

#17 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:03 PM

If I was in the market for a new streaming device, I think I'd rather spend half the cost of this and get one of those new Roku streaming sticks.

pitfall_harry219.png

Now Playing: :ps4: Madden 15, :ps3: ICO, :ps3: Jeopardy, :ps3: NBA Jam On Fire Edition, :ps3: MX vs ATV: Alive

#18 Kazeno Katana

Kazeno Katana

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

I bet this will sell really well, it improves upon the Ouya except it has a strong company behind it, and it has access to Amazon's vast services and marketplace. Price doesn't seem that bad either it'll be popular for people wanting to play games like Minecraft on it.

On another note I thought it was funny with all of the shots they took at Microsoft, they really hit them hard.

663892.png?17663317

#19 joshnorm

joshnorm

Hey, Wha Happen..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:13 PM

With he exception of android based games what makes this a better option then the Roku?

#20 MushaOne

MushaOne

etc. and so forth...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:16 PM

With he exception of android based games what makes this a better option then the Roku?

From what I can see the only real thing is the certified Dolby Digital Plus surround sound, and is probably a little faster. For me the tv my Roku is on doesnt have surround sound and I think its fast enough. No need to get this.

#21 UcanSUKtheFAC

UcanSUKtheFAC

Being right is all that matters.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:16 PM

So this can only play Android games, like Ouya? If so, what makes this any better? And if there's the promise of streaming PC games, wouldn't you rather wait to see how it manifests itself in reality with Playstation Now, etc? I'm just wondering why, now, this would benefit anyone. Just seems like another "me too" set top box to me.

Currenty Playing / Recently Played / Backlog:  :ps3: Wolf Among Us, The Walking Dead, Puppeteer, DmC  :ps4: Destiny, Minecraft PS4, Diablo 3MLB 14 The Show, Strider, BF4, The Last of Us: Remastered  :wii: everything retro Nintendo   :wiiu: DKC Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Wonderful 101, Batman AO, NES Remix 1 & 2, Shovel Knight   :3ds: Tomodochi Life, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Rusty's Real Deal Baseball  :vita: Tearaway, Murimasa Rebirth  :pc: Darksiders 2, Counter Strike GO, Chivalry, Saints Row 4  :lol: Most Anticipated: SMash Bros Wii U, Far Cry 4, Evolve, Destiny, Halo MC Collection, No Man's Sky, Inside, N++

My Favorite Games of 2014 So Far Roaring Millennials | Please support my new blog! Contributions welcome!

#22 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

I'm wondering if this controller will work with anything else...Windows, RT, iOS, real Android, etc...

The controller actually looks nice and I'd use it with one of those, but I have no particular need for a butchered version of Android on a streaming thignee.

I do think Sony needs to hurry up and get VitaTV out in the U.S.  It's their version of this, only it's also AN ACTUAL GAME SYSTEM.

Also even though Vita's now 2 years old, it STILL has a better GPU, and that's even before you consider that Vita allows you to code closer to the metal AND has dedicated video RAM.

Screw PS4, I'm just gonna buy 4 of these!

Hell yeah! 

Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
Recent games, Netflix Scale:
[LIST]

Posted Image

#23 dreamer131313

dreamer131313

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

Also I know with the kindle fire tablet you can only download amazon store apps but not google play apps without rooting it so I wonder if this tv going to be the same way with the android games meaning the only android games you can get will be amazon store ones? If that the case then the android games will be extremely extremely limited compared to what games google play has

#24 PDJ

PDJ

O I can change this?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

Since I won't share any of the 5 consoles in my lair basement with my girlfriend who does most of her TV watching in the living room..I decided to pick one of these up for her so she can stream to her hearts content.

...and I bought a controller just because :-P (because you get $10 credit and whatever 3rd person tower defense game that's exclusive to FireTV for free).

I'll post my reactions during the weekend after we get it and take everything for a spin.

#25 Corgstradamus

Corgstradamus

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:26 PM

I'm not even sure why amazon is doing this. Sure they have money to throw around, but this just seems late to the party. There are multiple options out there already, I wish they would have come up with something completely different rather than imitating other products.

Have Backlog issues? Need support? Come check out  The CAG Backlog Support Group

#26 Bubbakja

Bubbakja

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:27 PM

This seems ripe for emulators given its open interface.  The question is how to handle roms ?

#27 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

Seems like a nice streamer, but it really doesn't have anything unique that makes it particularly interesting to me. It currently cannot replace my Roku 2 because it is too limited on channels and I'm pretty much over android consoles. If nothing else, it's a nice preview of what to expect out of the Roku 4.
Posted Image

#28 whitereflection

whitereflection

Shake well before serving

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

On another note I thought it was funny with all of the shots they took at Microsoft, they really hit them hard.

What shots did they take at Microsoft? I didn't notice any.

So this can only play Android games, like Ouya? If so, what makes this any better? And if there's the promise of streaming PC games, wouldn't you rather wait to see how it manifests itself in reality with Playstation Now, etc? I'm just wondering why, now, this would benefit anyone. Just seems like another "me too" set top box to me.

It's even worse than that. Amazon's Android games are usually outdated versions from Google Play, the official appstore for Android apps. I don't think it'll be a big deal for Joe Schmoe, who seems to be the target demographic, though. And if the Fire TV store is indeed the same as the Amazon Appstore, then you'll be getting a lot of content for free since they have a free app-of-the-day daily and sometimes even more.

I'm not even sure why amazon is doing this. Sure they have money to throw around, but this just seems late to the party. There are multiple options out there already, I wish they would have come up with something completely different rather than imitating other products.

You're underestimating how many people Amazon can target this to. Pretty much everyone that has a credit card has an Amazon account. If even 1% of that group buy this product, it'll be a huge hit. And Amazon seems primed for it - they recently just greenlighted a bunch of original television shows and bought Double Helix, the devs behind Killer Instinct and the Strider remake.

#29 oregon

oregon

CAG Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:50 PM

Do not need another app player.   Between the game consoles, apple TV, built in TV apps, HTPC, i have plenty of devices.   The market is saturated with these devices.  

#30 Kazeno Katana

Kazeno Katana

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:53 PM

What shots did they take at Microsoft? I didn't notice any.

It's even worse than that. Amazon's Android games are usually outdated versions from Google Play, the official appstore for Android apps. I don't think it'll be a big deal for Joe Schmoe, who seems to be the target demographic, though. And if the Fire TV store is indeed the same as the Amazon Appstore, then you'll be getting a lot of content for free since they have a free app-of-the-day daily and sometimes even more.

You're underestimating how many people Amazon can target this to. Pretty much everyone that has a credit card has an Amazon account. If even 1% of that group buy this product, it'll be a huge hit. And Amazon seems primed for it - they recently just greenlighted a bunch of original television shows and bought Double Helix, the devs behind Killer Instinct and the Strider remake.

I might be mistaken but I read it on a site so I'm making it real.

In one instance they talked about how you need to pay $60 Xbox Live JUST to use Netflix, and how nobody wants to pay to use a service they're already paying for.

In another instance when they were showing of the Remote with a microphone built in they mentioned how easy it is to use, and how it's better than shouting across the room at your TV with is irritating. 

663892.png?17663317